Any advice on what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrybubblegum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So now that we're getting into May, I'm starting to look at this upcoming application cycle. I applied last cycle and received one interview at UDM, which placed me on their waitlist. My LOR's weren't mailed out until September 2, so I feel like I may have messed up by not getting everything submitted earlier on in the cycle. I'm also a Canadian applicant. So these are the stats I applied with:

sGPA --> 3.27
oGPA --> 3.38

PAT --> 20
QR --> 16
RC --> 23
BIO --> 21
GC --> 18
OC --> 23
TS --> 20
AA --> 20

As for EC's, I volunteer with a couple of different charity foundations and community programs and I've also shadowed at a dental clinic for quite some time. My LOR's were decent, and I feel that my PS was really strong.

So my question to you guys is, what should I do to improve my chances of getting accepted this next cycle? I was debating on retaking the DAT, especially since that 16 and 18 really bother me, but I feel that it might be a bit too late if I want to get my application submitted earlier than last time. I also graduated this year, so I'm going to have a year off. Any ideas on what I could do during this time to help my chances? Any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I also received a C- in my intro chemistry 101 class during my first year. I took the 102 class, and was able to do better. Should I redo the class? Or just take a 200-level chemistry class? Or not worry about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
So now that we're getting into May, I'm starting to look at this upcoming application cycle. I applied last cycle and received one interview at UDM, which placed me on their waitlist. My LOR's weren't mailed out until September 2, so I feel like I may have messed up by not getting everything submitted earlier on in the cycle. I'm also a Canadian applicant. So these are the stats I applied with:

sGPA --> 3.27
oGPA --> 3.38

PAT --> 20
QR --> 16
RC --> 23
BIO --> 21
GC --> 18
OC --> 23
TS --> 20
AA --> 20

As for EC's, I volunteer with a couple of different charity foundations and community programs and I've also shadowed at a dental clinic for quite some time. My LOR's were decent, and I feel that my PS was really strong.

So my question to you guys is, what should I do to improve my chances of getting accepted this next cycle? I was debating on retaking the DAT, especially since that 16 and 18 really bother me, but I feel that it might be a bit too late if I want to get my application submitted earlier than last time. I also graduated this year, so I'm going to have a year off. Any ideas on what I could do during this time to help my chances? Any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I also received a C- in my intro chemistry 101 class during my first year. I took the 102 class, and was able to do better. Should I redo the class? Or just take a 200-level chemistry class? Or not worry about it?
Ah man, you are in a bit of a spot. Your DAT is good (esp RC), but GC worries me a bit. QR, no one cares. Now your GPA is very low. I would suggest taking a year off and working on bringing it up to atleast a 3.5. Now, if you do retake your DAT and score a 22 AA, that would give you a better chance, but is that worth a gamble ? Because what if you score less ?
Also I would suggest continue to volunteer, work, shadow and add more EC's during the gap year to boost your app. As for PS, you know you have to re-write atleast partially right ? you cannot use the same every year. If you can get better LOR's that would be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked to UDM to see what aspects of your application you need to improve?

No I haven't, but thats probably a good idea. Would you recommend that I send an email or call them? I'm not too sure who exactly to contact about this haha.

Ah man, you are in a bit of a spot. Your DAT is good (esp RC), but GC worries me a bit. QR, no one cares. Now your GPA is very low. I would suggest taking a year off and working on bringing it up to atleast a 3.5. Now, if you do retake your DAT and score a 22 AA, that would give you a better chance, but is that worth a gamble ? Because what if you score less ?
Also I would suggest continue to volunteer, work, shadow and add more EC's during the gap year to boost your app. As for PS, you know you have to re-write atleast partially right ? you cannot use the same every year. If you can get better LOR's that would be better.

See, my original plan was to take more classes to bring my GPA up. However, I've taken so many classes at this point that my GPA is literally going to jump maybe by like 0.1 points even if I get all A's... so I don't know if thats enough to make a difference in my application. Yeah I probably would have been all for re-writing the DAT, but since the next cycle opens up on June 1st I don't know if that gives me enough time to study, write the DAT, and get it submitted at a reasonably early date. And yes definitely going to change up the PS haha :)

I see 3 things working against you.
1) You're international
2) GPA is below average
3) Some sections on your DAT are low
From what I understand, once you get an interview, you're basically on the same playing field as everyone else who got an invite. Try getting more practice and maybe retake the DAT (if you feel like it).

No I haven't, but thats probably a good idea. Would you recommend that I send an email or call them? I'm not too sure who exactly to contact about this haha.
You could contact the individuals who interviewed you or the director of admissions. I think calling them and talking to them is better.

Its hard to be an international student with below average GPA and DAT. All you can do now is apply broadly and everywhere you can stand a shot to get in. I.e. Schools accepting international students and with a low GPA and DAT mean.

Thanks for all your responses :) It helps a lot to have some outside advice!
When contacting them I suggest asking something like: "I am reapplying this year and would be greatful to know how can I improve my chances this cycle"
I believe C- doesn't cut it for most schools if any, so you might now have a choice about retaking...
How many schools did you apply to last year?
Definietly apply early and get all the rec letters in as early as possible.
some schools keep the international applicants to the end of their pile.