Any non-Seventh Day Adventists applying to Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying2becomeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got their secondaries, and there is a lot of q's on their religion. Not that I didn't expect it, but just reenforced what they doctor who I work for said today about Loma Linda taking just SDA. He used to teach there in the 1970s.

Any thoughts? Should I even submit my secondaries? I used to be catholic when I was little, so I really can't talk much about religion in my life, nor put down the pastor's phone number, etc that they require...
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not religious, why would you want to go to med school in that type of atmosphere?

I applied to this school, KNOWING that they are very religious, but thinking that they wouldn't discriminate on the basis of religion. Boy, was I wrong. Upon browsing their website more closely, I came across the following statement:

The University was established by the Seventh-day Adventist church as an integral part of its teaching ministry. It is committed to equal education and employment opportunities for men and women of all races and does not discriminate on the basis of handicap, sex, race, color, or national origin in its educational and admissions policies, financial affairs, employment programs, student life and services, or any University-administered program. [notice the absence of "religion" here.]

The University reserves constitutional and statutory rights as a religious institution and employer to give preference to Seventh-day Adventists in admissions and employment, including but not limited to 42 USC Secs. 2000e-1, 2000e-2; Sec. 6-15 of Federal Executive Order 11246; 41 CFR Sec. 60-1.5(5); 20 USC Sec. 1681 (a)(3); 34 CFR Secs. 106.12 (a)(b), 106.21, 106.31, 106.39, 106.40, 106.51, and 106.57; California Government Code Sec. 12926(d)(1); Title II, Division 4, Chapter 2, Sec. 7286.5 of the California Code of Regulations; the First Amendment to the United States Constitution; and Article I, Sec. 4, of the California Constitution. The University believes that Title IX regulations are subject to constitutional guarantees against unreasonable entanglement with or infringements on the religious teachings and practices of the Seventh-day Adventist church. The University expects students and employees to uphold biblical principles of morality and deportment as interpreted by the Seventh-day Adventist church. The University claims exemptions from the provisions of Title IX set forth in 34 CFR Secs. 106.12 (a)(b), 106.21, 106.31, 106.39, 106.40, 106.51, and 106.57.

After reading this, I said, no way in hell they would accept me. (I am Catholic.) I am sure there have been non-Seventh-Day Adventists admitted but they probably have had a lot of Christian-related activities. As a Catholic, I would feel out of place there anyway, and hence I am not applying and saving my 75 bucks. (Can you imagine being force-fed THEIR religion and THEIR way of doing things? I certainly can't.)

Members don't see this ad :)
also notice the absence of "sexual orientation" :(

Reactions: 1 user
I am trying to talk my good friend out of wasting her money to apply there. She was a religious studies minor / bio major..and she is the biggest LUSH, recreational drug user, sexaholic that I know! She is smart, cute, and extremely wild!!!
I told her she would be miserable there..but this is her second time applying so she wants to do it b/c getting in somewhere is better than nowhere. I told her she was crazy and she would have a better time going to Antarctica for four years....(nothing bad against loma linda...just for her lifestyle..not the right scene)...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•I am trying to talk my good friend out of wasting her money to apply there. She was a religious studies minor / bio major..and she is the biggest LUSH, recreational drug user, sexaholic that I know! She is smart, cute, and extremely wild!!!
I told her she would be miserable there..but this is her second time applying so she wants to do it b/c getting in somewhere is better than nowhere. I told her she was crazy and she would have a better time going to Antarctica for four years....(nothing bad against loma linda...just for her lifestyle..not the right scene)...•

WOW I need a woman like that! Would you care to introduce her to me?
:D

Hee Hee! J/k.

I don't think you should be deterred from Loma Linda if you are ardently Catholic. The feeling I get from all the info they've provided is that they want to see a Christian ethos present in applicants. Sure they prefer SDA's, but it defintiely seems like any Christian and even maybe some non-Christian, but still religious types, should try. Remember, the heads of the church denounced the man who put up the billboard calling the Pope the antichrist. I happen to know a few Catholic doctors who went there.

I know of someone who was accepted to LLUSoM who told them flat out she was an atheist during her interview. She was admitted. However, she later got off the UC-Irvine waitlist and went there instead. Being SDA definitely helps, being Christian is a plus -- but neither of them are pre-requisites.

As for the pastor phone number question, etc., I simply put N/A. I got an interview and was waitlisted. Granted, the interview was later in the season (Feb). I have a feeling (though not substantiated) that they interview mostly qualified SDA candidates first and then invite non-SDAs to interview.

Keep in mind, too, the school is VERY focused on integrating religion with medical studies -- you have to attend chapel once a week. Also, the majority of the students attend church (SDA) on the weekends together. The person I interviewed with (last year) said that a lot of times non-SDA students feel "left out" because all the SDA students see each other on weekends for church and tend to do more things together. Hope this is helpful (BTW - in case you wonder, I am not SDA). Good luck.

Scooby, can you introduce your friend to me please!?!? I need to know more people like that. ;)

She is currently taken...and as soon as this guy loses her...I am first to get her...

But I could introduce everyone to some of her friends :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Yea, they do discriminate if you're their religion or not. The brochure they sent me clearly stated: "preference for members of the 7th day adventist church". Apparently the church owns the school. So its pretty much like saying California residents are preferred at the UC's since its funded by the state. You can't help it with that.

However its not IMPOSSIBLE to get in if you're not part of their religion. I talked to an intern about it, i think he either went there or at least did an interview there. He said you can probably get in. But the majority of hte people that get in are also white. I would probably believe that too. However i'm sorta too lazy to search for the demographics. Who cares, i rather go to a UC(who wouldn't?) than apply there.

Save myself the $60 or something.

On a side note, is it true that they require one letter of recommendation from a minister?And in one scenario that i heard during their interview. THey ask you:"What do you do on your spare time?" And if you don't say you go to church, its:"don't call us, we'll call you".

In conclusion though, as a non-7th Day Adventist, i wouldn't waste my money to go there. I personally believe being a doctor, you must have an open mind about all the different "flavors" people in this world come in.(especially in california) Even though they are funded by the religion, they shoulnd't be so uptight about who want in or not. Look at the UC's, they want a "diversity" of people. Albeit its friggin hard to get in to a UC(even as a resident) i still like their philosophy more

In the end though, Loma Linda is a good school, you'll learn medicine. Its one of the top school's in the nation, so if you get in, more power to you, just don't be closed minded as their admission's committee.

Here's the deal with LLU guys. They're stats remain about the level expected of any US medical school, but don't let their averages deceive you into a false sence of confidence. Understand that since they do give preference to 7th Day Adventists, that those who are a part of the church and get accepted generally don't have to have really high stats...if you're 7th Day, and go to the church there in Loma Linda, know all the Dean's etc., then a 23-24 MCAT and 3.3 will most certainly get you in. The school then increases their statistics by letting non 7th Day Adventists in who have REALLY high stats and strong religous convictions. You must, I repeat, must have extremely high statistics to be considered if you're not 7th Day...or have graduated from Westmont or other religous affiliation. Certainly there are exceptions to this.
Another thing to take into consideration is the surrounding community of Loma Linda. No meat, women don't wear make-up (well now they do, but not much), VERY conservative, and just about EVERYONE in the community is 7th Day. They breed their own, and it's extremely hard to get your foot in the door if you're not a part. Someone had mentioned that you are required to attend service once a week...this is true. What they failed to mention is that if you don't attend Saturday's service with the community then your name is posted outside the church for everyone to see that you did not attend. This type of "shunning" has caught a lot of people by surprise, and they have spent their 4 years at LLU very unhappy because they never felt like they fit in.
True, it's a great school, one of the best...just make sure you research the school before you know what you're getting into.

check this **** out. I randomly ran across this page once while looking for pre-med advice. it is from Pacific Union College, a 7th day adventist college that apparently feeds LLU. I don't know how many people llu takes each year, but I bet it doesn't take more students from anywhere else. And check out the stats; some are pretty low (esp. the mcats). This might shed light on what it takes to get in. http://www.puc.edu/Faculty/Gilbert_Muth/news.htm#2001

Wow, I wish I'd read this thread before I sent my secondary to Loma Linda. I'm not SDA, although I do consider myself a very religious person--I'm an actively practicing Episcopalian. To be honest, I just *assumed* my religious convictions would be enough in their eyes, even if I'm not specifically SDA. Filling out the secondary was kind of minefield though, because they ask if you drink (and use tobacco/other drugs)! I tried to be honest, but I just don't think a glass of wine or a beer once in awhile is a big deal. So I pretty much said that. Sounds like I should have saved the $75. *sigh*

Hey guys- here's what i know- first of all, i've done research at LLU for over 4 years... i remember the first day i was there and walked into the cafeteria, they had no meat, and no pepper... (pepper is a stimulus and they don't believe in that stuff...) no caffeine as well. i know that this sounds like a big deal... but its not. darwin mentioned the fact that the community is primarily SDA... and it is, for about a 1 mile radius. but, i'm from a city 3 miles away, and its fine... you're only a short distance from nice neighboring communities. but, if you want to get plastered and walk home... its a little more difficult. but, then again, san bernardino is less than a mile away from the school, and there are some fun bars out there. we usually chill at TGIFridays. there's always loma linda med kids out trying to booze it up there. barton- as for the comment about feeding schools... yeah, its pretty bad. there's actually a school MUCH closer (20 min.) called La Sierra University. I know a guy that went there and was SDA and got in with a 27 MCAT. however, i know of people who have gotten much less on their MCAT and have still been admitted due to their SDA affiliation. its all kinda whack... but being a private school allows them to discriminate based on religion. also, i've never heard anything about the postings outside of church... but, i wouldn't doubt it. people there are very friendly though. the library is cool... but its closed on saturday and shuts down early on friday as well... not that many of you care now, but in med school, i'm sure you will. that's all- i have to go have a bagel and watch some TV.