Any other current active duty pre-dents out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerNumTwo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. We have unique life experiences so it would be nice to find others who are sharing this journey.

If so...
How long have you been in?
Officer/Enlisted?
Which service?
Deployments?
How far along are you on your progression towards D school?
How are you balancing pre-reqs and studying for the DAT with work?
Planning on pursuing HPSP or HSCP?

As for me...
- I've been in for eight years. I don't plan on getting out until I have a letter from a school accepting me.
- Officer.
- Army.
- Just one 15 month-er. But that was plenty.
- I intend to take the DAT and apply in the summer of 2017. Feels far away, but I know it'll be here before I know it.
- I am very fortunate to have a boss who is supportive and an assignment with a lot of flexibility. If I were still in FORSCOM, I would not be able to pursue it without getting out in order to take classes.
- undecided. Just glad I still have my post 9/11 gi Bill.

Members don't see this ad.

So no longer active duty buut..

4 years active, almost 4 years in reserves now
Enlisted
Army
1 Deployment to Iraq
Was just accepted this cycle to a couple schools
as far as pre-reqs and DAT, I had left active duty and went back to college. Though I did work full time. I finished my degree and then immediately started studying for the DAT ( for 3 months)..
I haven't applied to the HPSP, just because of some family issues and I don't want to commit my family to moving before we know how some things are going to turn out. Though I may apply for the 3 yr HPSP or Direct Commission after school.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a few of us floating around. @willwash @karanja , and closetnerd. I'm getting out this summer, rolling right into school. USMC off., 6 years. Let me know if you have any questions about the process - that GI Bill is going to pay huge dividends for you down the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been in? (19 yrs)
Officer/Enlisted? Officer (was enlisted for 9 yrs) (Currently a medical service corps officer)
Which service? Navy
Deployments? 4 so far
How far along are you on your progression towards D school? Just got accepted into 4 schools
How are you balancing pre-reqs and studying for the DAT with work? You got to do what you have to do. Its definitely not easy. Also you need to have a supportive chain of command.
Planning on pursuing HPSP or HSCP? HSCP

Wow, congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I hope I'm sitting in your shoes in a couple years... How did your service come across in your interviews? I'm assuming you mentioned it in your PS?

I visited Midwestern AZ since I'm in this part of the country and they were VERY supportive. So many of the professors/doctors were former active duty Army/Navy/AF themselves, it was nice to see.

@CraigHack I'm incredibly glad that I have the post 9/11, I really hope I get into a public school so that I'm able to take full advantage of it. However, even if I only get into a private school I plan on using it. Are you planning on going back in or are you strictly civilian now?

@AfriqueDMD Are you going to hit your 20 before you matriculate? If so, WOW! Congrats. I'm looking hard at the HSCP myself. I never considered the Navy but I love the idea of being right at my 20 after four years of d-school + the four year commitment...

One question, though I'm not sure if any of you would know... the military retirement overhaul is looming and is scheduled to start in 2018. Anyone who joins will have to take the new retirement that would result in less than 50% of base pay at 20 years. That just so happens to be the year I hope to matriculate. In order to go to dental school I have to resign my commission in the Army and, assuming I am accepted to HSCP, I would enlist into the Navy as an E-7. Do you think I would still be grandfathered to keep my 20 year retirement or would I get shifted to the new system? Thoughts? I talked to the local Navy medical recruiter but I felt like he was trying to tell me what I wanted to here.

For HSCP, you will remain in active duty while in school with no break in service. It does get sketchy with the HPSP since you are in the IRR while in school. Good question. I will ask my recruiter.

I will hit 20 years next December. I still love the Navy and am giving them an opportunity to get another career out of me as a dentist. If I do not get the contingent resignation approved due to some technicalities which I won't bore you with, then I would just retire and still go to dental school.

Afrique, just because someone is in the IR doesn't mean they have a break in service. I got off active duty to get ready for dschool. I was in the IRR until released to go into the HSCP program. As long as the paperwork is done correctly, there will be no break in service.

Wow, congrats to all of you on your acceptances! I hope I'm sitting in your shoes in a couple years... How did your service come across in your interviews? I'm assuming you mentioned it in your PS?

I visited Midwestern AZ since I'm in this part of the country and they were VERY supportive. So many of the professors/doctors were former active duty Army/Navy/AF themselves, it was nice to see.

@CraigHack I'm incredibly glad that I have the post 9/11, I really hope I get into a public school so that I'm able to take full advantage of it. However, even if I only get into a private school I plan on using it. Are you planning on going back in or are you strictly civilian now?

@AfriqueDMD Are you going to hit your 20 before you matriculate? If so, WOW! Congrats. I'm looking hard at the HSCP myself. I never considered the Navy but I love the idea of being right at my 20 after four years of d-school + the four year commitment...

One question, though I'm not sure if any of you would know... the military retirement overhaul is looming and is scheduled to start in 2018. Anyone who joins will have to take the new retirement that would result in less than 50% of base pay at 20 years. That just so happens to be the year I hope to matriculate. In order to go to dental school I have to resign my commission in the Army and, assuming I am accepted to HSCP, I would enlist into the Navy as an E-7. Do you think I would still be grandfathered to keep my 20 year retirement or would I get shifted to the new system? Thoughts? I talked to the local Navy medical recruiter but I felt like he was trying to tell me what I wanted to here.

I'm not applying for HPSP/HSCP. Unless something drastically alters my perceptions the first year of DS, I intend on staying strictly civilian.

With your background, you'll almost assuredly get into a public school. I think it would be pretty crazy not to take advantage of that benefit, unless of course you go down the HPSP route, in which case you can save your GI and transfer it to one of your children. I guess what I'm saying is, do reasonably well on your GPA/DAT, and aggressively pursue the publics. I get that you liked MW-AZ, but you'd be on the hook for an extra $100K+ if you go down the private route. Just my two cents.

How long have you been in? (19 yrs)
Officer/Enlisted? Officer (was enlisted for 9 yrs) (Currently a medical service corps officer)
Which service? Navy
Deployments? 4 so far
How far along are you on your progression towards D school? Just got accepted into 4 schools
How are you balancing pre-reqs and studying for the DAT with work? You got to do what you have to do. Its definitely not easy. Also you need to have a supportive chain of command.
Planning on pursuing HPSP or HSCP? HSCP

Where are you planning on going to school?

How long have you been in? 8 years
Officer/Enlisted? enlisted
Which service? navy
Deployments? none
How far along are you on your progression towards D school? less than 2 years
How are you balancing pre-reqs and studying for the DAT with work? with working full time it is very challenging. to be honest with you, for those of us who have been in the military you have to make yourself competitive especially in the navy (since its the only branch I've been in) with going to school I have pretty much dropped myself out of the competition scene and fully dedicated myself to school and finishing my pre-reqs. I haven't started studying for the DAT just yet.. I have PLENTY of support at work.
Planning on pursuing HPSP or HSCP? both of the programs have their pros and cons.. right now I couldn't tell you.