Any RPhs currently work for WalMart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xenophylia

Charles Darwin fan club president
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about working conditions. Some people say they are still better than CVS/Walgreens. Some say they've gotten as bad. Looking for peoples' experiences with them recently. Might be jumping my sinking LTC ship before it goes under. Sad to think about going back to retail, but its only a 32 hour week so kind of wonder how bad it can be....

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering about working conditions. Some people say they are still better than CVS/Walgreens. Some say they've gotten as bad. Looking for peoples' experiences with them recently. Might be jumping my sinking LTC ship before it goes under. Sad to think about going back to retail, but its only a 32 hour week so kind of wonder how bad it can be....
Might as well be "a musician on the titanic" and get severance pay/UE benefits if something does happen

Reactions: 4 users
I agree. Ride the ship for as long as possible. Retail isn’t going to be better and it will probably still be there if you do have no choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it’s definitely not as bad as wag/ cvs (what else is?). Had some trouble retaining techs recently but apparently it’s industry wise issue in retail. Overall I would choose them over any other retail shop even though it’s not as cushy as it used to be. Probably best retail gig there is IMO.

And one more thing, definitely DON’T be a manger unless it’s a last resort. I don’t know what it’s like being a manger at other places, but at Walmart it sucks indefinitely!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s way better than CVS. More tech hours. Less focus on metrics. Not paradise, but not torture.

Don’t know about less focus on metrics. May be in comparison to cvs but where I am at, you constantly get grilled on stuff like customer survey, no. of immunizations, adherence etc. One negative comment causes havoc. At cvs, you can get away with putting someone on hold for 30 minutes or even not answering the phone at all. Not so much at Walmart where customers don’t like to hold for more than 3 minutes because you have more help. And not answering the phone would get you written up right away.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I agree. Ride the ship for as long as possible. Retail isn’t going to be better and it will probably still be there if you do have no choice.

Yeah. LOL Boss is WAAAAYYYYYY too cheap to offer any sort severance, but there is UE. While everyone was staying home and getting paid due to COVID those of us who kept working were rewarded by having our 401k match cut so they could make payroll each week. Being a pharmacist DOES NOT imply having the sense to run a business. Got the business from daddy and has been in a downward spiral ever since....

This particular Walmart is another story. It's only 32 hours a week, which is fine with me as I'd love to scale back. But positions come up there FREQUENTLY which is a red flag. Always for staff, not PIC. My theories are- wither the PIC is an *sshole or they keep hiring new grads who can't handle retail. Trying to get the scoop as to what's up. But yeah, I may just surf the comet till it crashes and burns up.....

Reactions: 1 users
Staff at Walmart isn't really too bad. It's a sweatshop but it's not as crazy as the stories I'm hearing from Walgreens or CVS.

But ifstaff positions are opening frequently at a particular store it's nearly certain that the PIC (or someone) is a collosal dingus who is driving people off. In my area the managers are mostly nice and we hardly ever have a staff position open.

Finally got to talk to a tech that works there. She says the manager and staff are great. They keep hiring new grads. Several have just stopped showing up. Some have left for lunch and just not come back. So my theory about hiring snowflakes was correct. No work ethic and can't handle retail. 'Nuff said. Something to consider if the ship does indeed sink.....

Finally got to talk to a tech that works there. She says the manager and staff are great. They keep hiring new grads. Several have just stopped showing up. Some have left for lunch and just not come back. So my theory about hiring snowflakes was correct. No work ethic and can't handle retail. 'Nuff said. Something to consider if the ship does indeed sink.....

I would be careful still, lots of WM rx managers are terrible. Most new grads in my area only leave if they transfer with walmart to a better city. depending on your bankroll Walgreen 50k sign on and 137 salary may also be an option.

Even with the 50k sign on, I'd never do Walgreen's or CVS on reputation alone. No desire to feed the beast another soul. Especially having avoided them for the bulk of my career.

Walmart can't even deliver my father's groceries correctly half the time...not sure if I'd want to take my chances with them...

Walmart can't even deliver my father's groceries correctly half the time...not sure if I'd want to take my chances with them...

Walmart used to have a 4 mistakes/lifetime and you're fired policy (which struck me unreasonable and a way to encourage people to hide errors.) I would imagine there is no double check of groceries like there is with pharmacy, because nobody is harmed if the grocery order is messed up.

They also would send people out to Arkansas (the mothership) to be "re-trained" if they were getting to the point of too many mistakes. I know several pharmacists who had to do that. And some of the things they considered mistakes were kind of petty since they weren't anything that would harm the patient. Not sure if they still do that, since a lot of the pharmacists graduating these days probably wouldn't last too long under such a system....

I’ve been considering leaving current company (not CVS/walgs) for WM bc I’ve heard nothing but good… but considering where I worked at as a student and where I’m at now with my company (completely diff script counts and culture) so it may be the same. Keep seeing listings for staff, temps, and part time for WM… but why would I part time and be scheduled full time with no benefits? PDL also bad at responding to emails and setting up pretty last min interviews or I may have already left position. Not sure if I want to lose full time and pay (as floater) to risk starting over and instability. Wish we had a current ranking of retail jobs again to give a better idea.

I’ve been considering leaving current company (not CVS/walgs) for WM bc I’ve heard nothing but good… but considering where I worked at as a student and where I’m at now with my company (completely diff script counts and culture) so it may be the same. Keep seeing listings for staff, temps, and part time for WM… but why would I part time and be scheduled full time with no benefits? PDL also bad at responding to emails and setting up pretty last min interviews or I may have already left position. Not sure if I want to lose full time and pay (as floater) to risk starting over and instability. Wish we had a current ranking of retail jobs again to give a better idea.

Problem is, why a general ranking list could be made, how the district manager actually runs the pharmacy (and even more so one's store pharmacy manager) makes a huge difference in how good or bad a job is.

I interviewed with them today. Thought it was a phone interview but sent me an email right before the meeting indicating it was zoom. Asked all of the regular questions- "tell me about a time you...". The job description was misleading and they seemed a bit annoyed when they had to explain that- despite advertising for a specific location- they were looking for essentially a 3 store floater. One of the 3 stores is supposedly a nightmare store (busy, can't keep staff) and I guarantee that I would be there more than the store they were advertising for. Bait and switch anyone? Just changed to a 4 day workweek (off Fri, Sat, and Sun every week...) with the LTC place I work for so that trumps anything they presented. They did not mention salary and I didn't ask. I think they could tell I was put off by the whole experience so I sincerely doubt I'll hear back, which is fine.

I would look for a remote job before going back to retail. There seem to be more now.

Walmart has no drive thru and a bathroom in the pharmacy, that's probably the only advantage over CVS/Walgreens.