APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At some point, it is just a leap of faith. I also struggle with not "gaming" the algorithm based on how I thought I performed in the interview (like I have a site I really like but I'm hesitant to rate it highly because I felt like I bombed the interview). My mentor urged me to rank it where I would if I felt I'd aced the interview, because fit is most important and intern ranking trumps the site's rankings.

Remember, you can’t game the algorithm like that. Rank based on your preference. If the algorithm can fit you into your top choice, great! If not, that in no way affects later choices. The only think you gain from that method is a better chance at getting a site you don’t like as much.

Trust the process, you got this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Remember, you can’t game the algorithm like that. Rank based on your preference. If the algorithm can fit you into your top choice, great! If not, that in no way affects later choices. The only think you gain from that method is a better chance at getting a site you don’t like as much.

Trust the process, you got this!

Seriously, listen to this. I don’t think you completely understand how the algorithm works. There is no benefit at all to ranking based on how you think you did over where you would like to be. Zero benefit at all. “Gaming” it the way you’re planning will only ensure you have a much less chance matching at a site you like. You wouldn’t be gaming anything.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Everyone, I just found this forum. Wish I had found it sooner, it would have helped me through my extreme disappointment of not matching. Almost everyone matched in my cohort accept for 3 of us I was wondering if anyone has any advice on ranking, if I like two sites equally?! I would have to move for both, so considering geographical location is not an option.
If training opportunity is equal across sites, here is what else went into my ranking
-stipend compared to cost of living in the area
-if interns have to drive to different clinics on different days and whether this mileage was compensated
-how much time I got to do report writing, and whether I would be taking most of this home
-if weekends/evenings/holidays were required
-if interns were required to do any part of the billing/scheduling process (I am not interested in PP at ALL, hate this work, and have done enough of in my current pre-internship)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, listen to this. I don’t think you completely understand how the algorithm works. There is no benefit at all to ranking based on how you think you did over where you would like to be. Zero benefit at all. “Gaming” it the way you’re planning will only ensure you have a much less chance matching at a site you like. You wouldn’t be gaming anything.

I realize that. I was writing more about the kinds of strategies that start to sound like a good idea when you’re managing the anxiety of ranking. It’s why I put “gaming” in quotes—I know it doesn't work that way and needed my mentor to reinforce that.

Reactions: 1 user
Coronavirus has really flipped things upside down over the last week! They say it has been spreading since December, right before all of us flew all over the country for interviews :confused: Seems like a lucky coicidence now that Phase II interviews aren't in person. Interesting times.

A little late and I know this has been talked about before but..would you guys consider ranking a "accredited, on contingency" program lower than already fully accredited programs? My understanding has been that on contingency is fine because they just need to send outcome data and then will be accredited, but would this factor into your rankings at all?

I have 2 on my list and I think I'd rank them where they are regardless of that status, but I was just thinking about the possibility that these sites don't reach accreditation..I know our internship would "count" as APA accredited, but it is making me think of this one intern on an interview I went on who went to Argosy, and is getting his accredited degree and everything, but had to sort of be like "yeah my school doesn't exist anymore ha.." so I wouldn't want to go to an accredited site that may lose accredidation...

Pretty sure I'm just over-thinking it, and like I said I don't think it really affects my rankings at the moment, but wanted to see if anyone had a different take.

A little late and I know this has been talked about before but..would you guys consider ranking a "accredited, on contingency" program lower than already fully accredited programs? My understanding has been that on contingency is fine because they just need to send outcome data and then will be accredited, but would this factor into your rankings at all?

I have 2 on my list and I think I'd rank them where they are regardless of that status, but I was just thinking about the possibility that these sites don't reach accreditation..I know our internship would "count" as APA accredited, but it is making me think of this one intern on an interview I went on who went to Argosy, and is getting his accredited degree and everything, but had to sort of be like "yeah my school doesn't exist anymore ha.." so I wouldn't want to go to an accredited site that may lose accredidation...

Pretty sure I'm just over-thinking it, and like I said I don't think it really affects my rankings at the moment, but wanted to see if anyone had a different take.
my understanding is: AOC is not a warning sign, it just means they're new. for any AOC sites I've considered, I just checked the date they became a member of appic and if it was 2016 or later it didn't concern me. i ranked two accredited on contingency sites in phase 1, but also part of what factored in for me was their larger affiliations-- it was the cleveland clinic and johns hopkins all childrens in st. pete florida. i applied to and ranked a program thats AOC this round as well. additionally on the APA accreditation website it says
"If you complete a program that is recognized as “accredited, on contingency” effective before your graduation date, you will have completed an APA accredited program."
So even if they don't complete later, if they are AOC when you attend they are accredited.

my understanding is: AOC is not a warning sign, it just means they're new. for any AOC sites I've considered, I just checked the date they became a member of appic and if it was 2016 or later it didn't concern me. i ranked two accredited on contingency sites in phase 1, but also part of what factored in for me was their larger affiliations-- it was the cleveland clinic and johns hopkins all childrens in st. pete florida. i applied to and ranked a program thats AOC this round as well. additionally on the APA accreditation website it says
"If you complete a program that is recognized as “accredited, on contingency” effective before your graduation date, you will have completed an APA accredited program."
So even if they don't complete later, if they are AOC when you attend they are accredited.

That's smart about looking for 2016! But yeah my thing was I wouldn't want to attend an accredited site that then lost accreditation even though it would "count" as completing an APA accredited program..

But all that's about over now! One more week until we all find out we've landed our dream internship and Phase II was worth it o_O

Good luck, everyone! Now we wait...

You are correct, it is very are for an AOC site to not move onto full accreditation once they have submitted all of the paperwork they need to following qualifying cohorts.

Ya’ll I’m so nervous about match day. I don’t even care about the virus, I’ve been too preoccupied by this to think about that lol

i don’t want to find out where I’m gonna be moving to in an email...

Ya’ll I’m so nervous about match day. I don’t even care about the virus, I’ve been too preoccupied by this to think about that lol

i don’t want to find out where I’m gonna be moving to in an email...
I’m nervous too! I think I’m scared of being disappointed again, so I’m going to expect the worst and hope for the best. Ah 5 days ahhh

I’m nervous too! I think I’m scared of being disappointed again, so I’m going to expect the worst and hope for the best. Ah 5 days ahhh

Yes, same! I felt like I was so confident and ready in Phase I that I've definitely done a 180 with just nerves and expecting disappointment haha even though I think (rationally) that everything will be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have those stats that were posted in the phase 1 thread about number of interviews and chance of matching?

I can’t believe how many people withdrew from match after phase I! And that there were so many spots unmatched after phase II

is the virus going to affect whether we can meet with clients internship year? i know it’s still early..

I doubt it will continue that far on.......but who knows! One step at a time!!

The situation is fluid, so this question is relevant. It may be that interns end up largely doing telehealth if social distancing protocol goes beyond a few months. My state went from “everything’s fine” to “hmm, this could be a problem” to considering online classes temporarily to schools and colleges shutting down and going online for the rest of the academic year and everyone in my entire area getting a “shelter-in-place” order; now there is talk of what Fall may look like. I’m in a state that was hit hard and early. Just a month ago I never would’ve imagined I’d be in this position. So I’d say just sit tight for now, but don’t be too surprised if things get a changed or we have to adapt.

The situation is fluid, so this question is relevant. It may be that interns end up largely doing telehealth if social distancing protocol goes beyond a few months. My state went from “everything’s fine” to “hmm, this could be a problem” to considering online classes temporarily to schools and colleges shutting down and going online for the rest of the academic year and everyone in my entire area getting a “shelter-in-place” order; now there is talk of what Fall may look like. I’m in a state that was hit hard and early. Just a month ago I never would’ve imagined I’d be in this position. So I’d say just sit tight for now, but don’t be too surprised if things get a changed or we have to adapt.
Change?? Adapt?? What are these horrible words lol jk but I think the more people follow the rules of staying inside, the sooner this will all be over

Because of everything with the virus, I’ve mostly been distracted from Match thoughts this week. But now it’s just a little over a day away, hooo lord the anxiety is taking back control of my thoughts. So glad this is almost over. But so worried what the results will be.

This. I would hope we'll have a clearer idea of what things may look like for the near and intermediate future by the time the next internship year starts. But at the moment, for internship sites, the highest priority is managing the situation with respect to current interns. Although thought is also of course being given to any impacts on the upcoming internship cohort, such as if the current training year needs to be extended (which I would imagine all sites are doing their best to avoid).

The good news for next training year's interns is that we're learning a whole lot about how to work out the kinks of necessary adjustments now.

Reactions: 2 users
Because of everything with the virus, I’ve mostly been distracted from Match thoughts this week. But now it’s just a little over a day away, hooo lord the anxiety is taking back control of my thoughts. So glad this is almost over. But so worried what the results will be.
Saaaaame. Also I am so happy I waited a year and didn’t apply to internships last year!! Would hate to be in a state far away from my family right now. Even if I can’t see them, it makes me feel better having them close.

It feels surreal for this to be happening tomorrow morning in the midst of the covid-19 situation. But, here it comes. So much anxiety.

It feels surreal for this to be happening tomorrow morning in the midst of the covid-19 situation. But, here it comes. So much anxiety.
I am having ptsd like flashbacks of rolling over, opening the email on my phone and reading those terrible, terrible words.

• Sad
I am having ptsd like flashbacks of rolling over, opening the email on my phone and reading those terrible, terrible words.
I feel the same way. I can’t imagine getting bad news again in the midst of of this

What's everyones game plan for tomorrow? Will you
-Open the email as soon as you see it in the inbox?
-click open the email, but don't peek at the content until later
-don't open the email until later in the day

i totally relate to you guys i feel the same way! what a memorable time period. im definitely going to look at the email right away and rip it off like a bandaid i’ve done my best that’s all i can do. i was looking back at the timeline of how long I’ve been preparing for this and its sooo nuts, desperate for some positive reinforcement

What's everyones game plan for tomorrow? Will you
-Open the email as soon as you see it in the inbox?
-click open the email, but don't peek at the content until later
-don't open the email until later in the day

I was thinking of opening the email, making sure it says "Congratulations!" then just taking some time before seeing where I'll be moving to..I like being in those weird limbo moments lol but since we have to talk to the TDs right away I probably won't wait long.

Ughh so much anxiety! How many of us are actually sleeping tonight??

I was thinking of opening the email, making sure it says "Congratulations!" then just taking some time before seeing where I'll be moving to..I like being in those weird limbo moments lol but since we have to talk to the TDs right away I probably won't wait long.
Ooo I like this too!

Ooo I like this too!
Oh although on the phase I thread, someone commented that they matched and the TD didn’t call them that day so....

omg i couldnt imagine putting myself through more ambiguity! ill be glued to my email. and yes, TDs are supposed to call at or around 11 eastern.

On the match website it says “at 8am EST, TD’s may contact their interns”. So from my understanding, most choose to call the new interns once results come out to congratulate them.
can you tell me where you see 8am listed? Everywhere I’ve seen says 11.

Best of luck everyone! Whatever happens it was meant to be! (At least that’s what I’m telling myself). Remember how amazing, strong, and valuable you are and anyone who is lucky enough to have you should be counting their blessings!

• Love
I matched to my #1!!!!! :D omg omg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users