APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madzB4

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for those of us going into phase II. I found the other threads helpful for support, advice, and updated info on interviews and notifications. So although I am stoked for everyone who will be successful in phase I to those of us in phase II good luck, we are all competent clinicians, we are almost done! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you in Phase II, take a deep breath and know that this is not a reflection on your skills as a clinician but is more likely a reflection of either having limited your choices in Phase I or that your application materials need some TLC. Have a good cry and then drink some coffee or tea and strap in for round two.

If you did not have anyone read your essays and cover letters before Phase I, do that this round. Tailor your cover letters for each type of site and don’t treat any site like a backup (it will come through in your materials).

Reach out to TDS from sites where you applied in Phase I and ask for feedback on your materials or interview. Don’t be defensive just treat this as data to improve your chances.

If you haven’t finished your dissertation, consider taking a year off to do that and increase your clinical experience. A year feels like a long time but in the overall scheme of things it’s a flash in the pan.

Keep engaging in self care - exercise, drink water, meditate, and remind yourself to treat yourself with the same compassion you’d treat a friend.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
These are links that I have found helpful in prepping for Phase II:
-https://appic.org/Match/FAQs/Applicants/Phase-II (FAQ from APPIC)
-https://natmatch.com/psychint/directory/participating-programs.html (where sites participating in Phase II will be posted)
-https://appic.org/Internships/Match/APPIC-Match-Phase-II/Phase-II-News (Phase II "late breaking news")

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t match so now I’m here. Kinda numb rn

• Wow
  • Sad
Didn’t match so now I’m here. Kinda numb rn

There are a lot of great sites who didn’t match, and are feeling the same way. They will be thrilled to hear from you!

Round 2-ers: I know so many fantastic, very successful, talented psychologists that matched in clearinghouse.

You’ve got this. Take care of yourself. Do some affirmations. Have mentors and friends re-review your cover letters and/or essays. You will get through this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn’t match either. Now that I’ve shed my tears...I’m here for you psychlife19 and all of the other amazing people who are here!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Oh, man - there are tons of AWESOME sites this year in Phase 2. I bet many of you will end up at a better site than you ranked. Best of luck! I feel excited for you!

Edited to add: Seriously, I'm absolutely shocked by how many excellent, prestigious sites there are.

Reactions: 7 users
:arghh::arghh: I guess I’m glad I’m not the only one.

You aren’t alone. 468 other people are there with you. They just may not post here (unlike the people who will happily post that they matched) which can give that perception. Take the weekend to mourn this step of the process and then sit down and work on your materials, straighten your crown, and dive back in.

Reactions: 3 users
So round 1 I didn’t apply to any non APA sites....should I change this in round 2?:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly resist the urge to open up to non APA accredited sites as it limits your career options at a large number of institutions and positions.
Yes but have you taken into account my levels of desperation.
Actually what is worse? Matching in round 2 to a non apa or just finding some unpaid internship at a site (not through appic) in terms of career prospects? I would think it’s about the same.

Actually what is worse? Matching in round 2 to a non apa or just finding some unpaid internship at a site (not through appic) in terms of career prospects? I would think it’s about the same.

These are both terrible options, not sure which would lead to worse career prospects. I'd personally take a year to bolster my application and reapply than go through the unaccredited route. To each their own, but I'd never recommend shutting out a majority of employment opportunities so early in one's career.

I would only take an internship if it’s APA accredited. I would much rather take an extra year if APA accredited was not an option. One year is a blip in your entire life, and it’s not worth risking your future career options.

There's two tracks at my former internship program in round 2, and honestly, I'm shocked because it's an amazing, accredited site and in a very geographically competitive area...lots of great options are still open!

Best wishes to everyone who is heading into round 2. I looked through and there are so many amazing sites. It drove me nuts last year because no one wrote (that I could find) all the round 2 APA accredited options. So future, anxious 2021 applicants, lots of great options. So, here we go:

University of Alabama * Birmingham BVAMC Consortium (UAB psychiatry, UAB veterans ; Tuscaloosa VA Medical Centers psych internship; Alaska Psych Intern Consortium/Norton Sound Health; Calgary Clinical Psych Program; Avondale Elementary School District; Southwest Behavioral & Health Services; So. Arizona Psych Center/La Frontera Center; Veterans Healthcare Systems of the Ozarks; University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences; Casa Pacifica; California Psych Internship Consortium - Porterville Developmental Center; California State University - Fullerton; Children's Institute - Trauma track, Early childhood internship; Community health awareness council; VA Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center; Child and Family Guidance Center; Metropolitan State Hospital; Veteran Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System - Behavioral Med; UC Davis Medical Center CAARE Center; Monterey County Behavioral Health; San Bernardino Count Dept of Behavioral Health- op and forensics; University of California- San Diego Consortium -LJ PTSD/Alc Drug TX or VA BHIP/VA InPT Substance Abuse; UCSF/SFGH Child and Adolescent Services; Asian Americans for Community Involvement -Center for Survivors of Torture; San Jose State University; Marin County Health and Human Services - Latino Family Health Track; Colorado Psych Internship Consortium - Summit Community Care clinic and Bright Future Foundation; University of Colorado School of Medicine - Salud Family Health Primary Care and Dependency Addiction and Rehab; Denver Health medical Center - GPE adult integrated primary care; University of Denver Kaiser Permanente- Integrated Care- Pain; University of North Colorado; The village for families and children; Greater Hartford Clinical Psych/VA Newington; Veteran Affairs Connecticut Healthcare System; Mid Atlantic Internship: Sterling behavioral health services, Fairfax mental health and wellness, capitol hill consortium, Washington medical group; St Elizabeth's Hospital; Veterans Affairs Medical Center- DC; Cornerstone Consortium - medical psych all care, inpatient/outpatient adult/child, and outpatient mental health-adult; Mental Health Center of Florida; Nova Southeastern Univ South Florida Consortium - Boward Sheriffs office; Goodman Psychological/Carlos Albizu University; Mailman Center for Child Development/Univ Miami - School Health; Veterans Affairs Medical Center - Health psych, Geropsych; Wellpath Recovery/South Florida state Hospital Forensic track; Marcus Autism Center - Language and Learning severe behavior; Georgia Regional Hospital Atlanta; Hawaii psych internship consortium DOE west Hawaii complex, DOE Kai-Kea' au Pahoa Complex; university of Idaho; Southern Illinois University; University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign; Adler University; Jesse Brown VA Medical Center - General, Acute Crisis; Northern Illinois University; Illinois School Psych Internship Consortium- LADSE, VASE/Evergreen, Siu/Springfield, Onarga Acad/Iroquois, District 211 -HS, LCSSU, Southeastern IL system of care; J Lovell VA medical Center; Indiana University CAPS; Indiana University school of medicine - ASD track; Richard L Roudebush VA medical Center - Serious mental illness/recovery, health psych; National Psych Training Consortium- Great Lakes - Otis R Bowen Center, VAlley Oaks/Family HC, Centerstone, Bowen Center/Parkview peds, Centerstone IHC grand; Ball state university; Iowa state university; University of Iowa; Larned State hospital - PSP and SSP; University of Kansas; Kansas State university; Western Kentucky Psych Internship Consortium- Pennyroyal; University of Kentucky Counseling Center; VA Maine Healthcare System; Johns Hopkins University; Kennedy Krieger - BEH Management/Peds consult, child family therapy/peds consult; VA Maryland HCS/Univ Maryland School of Medicine - VA Health Psych; Spring Grove Hospital Center; Springfriend Hospital Center; VA Boston Healthcare System - geropsych; Community Services Institute; Multicultural Psych Internship Program; Tweksbury Hospital - serious mental illness track, health psych/serious mental illness; Grand Valley State University; University Michigan- Counseling & Psych Service; Uni Michigan/Rackham Institute - child adolescent, adult; VA Medical Center- Battlecreek general psych, neuropsych; Life skills psych services; children's hospital of Michigan; John D Dingell VA medical center; Hawthorn Center -MDHHS; Hazelden's Mental Health Centers - adolescent and young adult track; Mental Health systems, PC; Uni Minnesota-Minneapolis-counseling; Nystrom and Associates; G.V.Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center; Missouri Health Sciences psych consortium - general psych; Kansas City VA medical center; National Psych Training Consortium- central: Family psych center, royal oaks hospital, Burrell behavioral health SGF, compass health Rolla, Compass health wentzville, dual track royal oaks compass health Warsaw then butler; Nebraska internship consortium - Monroe Meyer rural care program north/central, Monroe -meyer rural integrate care program, boys town grand island child/adolescen; Nebraska mental health center; university of nebraska- Lincoln, VA Nebraksa- Western Iowa Health Care system - rural outpatient Omaha VAMC, assessment focus + rural, rotation based grand island va, rotation based Lincoln VA, no rotations rural Norfolk CBOC; Nevada psych internship consortium; YCS institute for infant and preschool bilingual Spanish; anchor psychiatric hospital; greystoen park psychiatric hospital; Rutgers biomedical health sciences - adult correctional/forensic track; Trenton psychiatric hospital;

Now taking a break lol but here is the start!

Reactions: 7 users
I would only take an internship if it’s APA accredited. I would much rather take an extra year if APA accredited was not an option. One year is a blip in your entire life, and it’s not worth risking your future career options.
What if you already took an extra year because of family circumstances and didn’t go through match last year? so an extra extra year isnt an option anymore. What would you do then? (Serious question, trying to weigh my options).

Reactions: 1 user
Also, is it worth applying to sites that you applied to before, but that didn’t rank you?

Best wishes to everyone who is heading into round 2. I looked through and there are so many amazing sites. It drove me nuts last year because no one wrote (that I could find) all the round 2 APA accredited options. So future, anxious 2021 applicants, lots of great options. So, here we go:

University of Alabama * Birmingham BVAMC Consortium (UAB psychiatry, UAB veterans ; Tuscaloosa VA Medical Centers psych internship; Alaska Psych Intern Consortium/Norton Sound Health; Calgary Clinical Psych Program; Avondale Elementary School District; Southwest Behavioral & Health Services; So. Arizona Psych Center/La Frontera Center; Veterans Healthcare Systems of the Ozarks; University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences; Casa Pacifica; California Psych Internship Consortium - Porterville Developmental Center; California State University - Fullerton; Children's Institute - Trauma track, Early childhood internship; Community health awareness council; VA Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center; Child and Family Guidance Center; Metropolitan State Hospital; Veteran Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System - Behavioral Med; UC Davis Medical Center CAARE Center; Monterey County Behavioral Health; San Bernardino Count Dept of Behavioral Health- op and forensics; University of California- San Diego Consortium -LJ PTSD/Alc Drug TX or VA BHIP/VA InPT Substance Abuse; UCSF/SFGH Child and Adolescent Services; Asian Americans for Community Involvement -Center for Survivors of Torture; San Jose State University; Marin County Health and Human Services - Latino Family Health Track; Colorado Psych Internship Consortium - Summit Community Care clinic and Bright Future Foundation; University of Colorado School of Medicine - Salud Family Health Primary Care and Dependency Addiction and Rehab; Denver Health medical Center - GPE adult integrated primary care; University of Denver Kaiser Permanente- Integrated Care- Pain; University of North Colorado; The village for families and children; Greater Hartford Clinical Psych/VA Newington; Veteran Affairs Connecticut Healthcare System; Mid Atlantic Internship: Sterling behavioral health services, Fairfax mental health and wellness, capitol hill consortium, Washington medical group; St Elizabeth's Hospital; Veterans Affairs Medical Center- DC; Cornerstone Consortium - medical psych all care, inpatient/outpatient adult/child, and outpatient mental health-adult; Mental Health Center of Florida; Nova Southeastern Univ South Florida Consortium - Boward Sheriffs office; Goodman Psychological/Carlos Albizu University; Mailman Center for Child Development/Univ Miami - School Health; Veterans Affairs Medical Center - Health psych, Geropsych; Wellpath Recovery/South Florida state Hospital Forensic track; Marcus Autism Center - Language and Learning severe behavior; Georgia Regional Hospital Atlanta; Hawaii psych internship consortium DOE west Hawaii complex, DOE Kai-Kea' au Pahoa Complex; university of Idaho; Southern Illinois University; University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign; Adler University; Jesse Brown VA Medical Center - General, Acute Crisis; Northern Illinois University; Illinois School Psych Internship Consortium- LADSE, VASE/Evergreen, Siu/Springfield, Onarga Acad/Iroquois, District 211 -HS, LCSSU, Southeastern IL system of care; J Lovell VA medical Center; Indiana University CAPS; Indiana University school of medicine - ASD track; Richard L Roudebush VA medical Center - Serious mental illness/recovery, health psych; National Psych Training Consortium- Great Lakes - Otis R Bowen Center, VAlley Oaks/Family HC, Centerstone, Bowen Center/Parkview peds, Centerstone IHC grand; Ball state university; Iowa state university; University of Iowa; Larned State hospital - PSP and SSP; University of Kansas; Kansas State university; Western Kentucky Psych Internship Consortium- Pennyroyal; University of Kentucky Counseling Center; VA Maine Healthcare System; Johns Hopkins University; Kennedy Krieger - BEH Management/Peds consult, child family therapy/peds consult; VA Maryland HCS/Univ Maryland School of Medicine - VA Health Psych; Spring Grove Hospital Center; Springfriend Hospital Center; VA Boston Healthcare System - geropsych; Community Services Institute; Multicultural Psych Internship Program; Tweksbury Hospital - serious mental illness track, health psych/serious mental illness; Grand Valley State University; University Michigan- Counseling & Psych Service; Uni Michigan/Rackham Institute - child adolescent, adult; VA Medical Center- Battlecreek general psych, neuropsych; Life skills psych services; children's hospital of Michigan; John D Dingell VA medical center; Hawthorn Center -MDHHS; Hazelden's Mental Health Centers - adolescent and young adult track; Mental Health systems, PC; Uni Minnesota-Minneapolis-counseling; Nystrom and Associates; G.V.Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center; Missouri Health Sciences psych consortium - general psych; Kansas City VA medical center; National Psych Training Consortium- central: Family psych center, royal oaks hospital, Burrell behavioral health SGF, compass health Rolla, Compass health wentzville, dual track royal oaks compass health Warsaw then butler; Nebraska internship consortium - Monroe Meyer rural care program north/central, Monroe -meyer rural integrate care program, boys town grand island child/adolescen; Nebraska mental health center; university of nebraska- Lincoln, VA Nebraksa- Western Iowa Health Care system - rural outpatient Omaha VAMC, assessment focus + rural, rotation based grand island va, rotation based Lincoln VA, no rotations rural Norfolk CBOC; Nevada psych internship consortium; YCS institute for infant and preschool bilingual Spanish; anchor psychiatric hospital; greystoen park psychiatric hospital; Rutgers biomedical health sciences - adult correctional/forensic track; Trenton psychiatric hospital;

I need to mention that the University of Alabama — Birmingham Consortium is not currently APA-accredited (on probation). They’re working on addressing issues to reinstate accreditation, but it’s not guaranteed, so be wary of the risk.

Applicants in Phase II can also look here, which has a complete list of sites participating, as well as their accreditation status: APPIC Match | Participating Internships

:)

I noticed Casa Pacifica is in round 2 again this year. I was interested but didn’t apply to round 1 because the gap between stipend vs. cost of living in this area was too much. Of course I don’t expect to be rolling in money but that was a little much for me.
can anyone comment if you interviewed there round 1 or are/were an intern there? Was it doable?

again: It drove me nuts last year because no one wrote (that I could find) all the round 2 APA accredited options. So future, anxious 2021 applicants, lots of great options.
New Mexico State university; Bath VA Medical Center; Jewish Child Care Association; State university of New York - Buffalo; VA Western New York Healthcare System; Derner Internship Consortium (CMC, SUNY SCC, LBR, WAWI/AUSCC); Long Island Jewish Med Ctr- ucker Hillside Hosp - Clin neuropsych; Hamilton- Madison House (Chinese speaking preferred); Pleasantville Union Free School District; Rochester Institute Tech Health Science-child fam adult psychiatry, young adult/adult psychiatry; Sony brook univ consortium internship program (adult); Hutchings Psychiatric Center (forensic civil , prison); ANDRUS; Womack Army Medical Center; Southeast Human Service Center; Ohio Psychology Internship (heathland behavioral health psychiatric hospital, psychology internship, forensic services); Bowling Green State Uni, Chillicothe VAMC; Cleveland state uni counseling center; Louis stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center; Metrohealth medial center (peds); Columbus VA/CP Wylie Ambulatory Care center; Veterans Affairs Medical Center- Dayton; Wright State uni- ellis institutes Appalachian Psych Internship/Hopewell Health; Wright- Patterson USAF Medical Center; Oklahoma Health Consortium (Goddard, OUHSC); Northeastern Oklahoma Psych Internship; London clinical psych consortium; royal Ottawa health care group; university of ottawa car for psychologic services; Northern Ontario Psych Internship Consortium; George Fox integrate care Internship; Erie Psychological Consortium/Northshore Psych; Holcomb Behavioral Health Systems; Immaculata Psych internship consortium; Chestnut hill college internship consortium; corporal Michael J Crescenz VA medical center; PCOM Center for brief Therapy; The behavioral Wellness Center at Girard; Devereux Foundation; Federal Correctional Complex Allenwood; Federal Correctional Complex- Allenwood; WellSpan Philhaven CBT; Ponce Health Sciences University; VA Caribbean Healthcare System; Alpert Medical School of Brown University; Saskatoon Area Psychology Residency; Clemson University; Sioux Falls VA Health CareSystems; Tennessee Internship Consortium in Psychology; Vanderbilt University Medical Center; University of Teas and Austin; VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care system; Texas Tech University; Uni of Texas Health San Antonio; Southern Utah University; Utah State Hospital; Wasatch Mental Health; VA Salt Lake City Helath Care System; Battleboro Retreat; University of Virginia Student Health; University of Washington-Psychiatry; Spokane VAMC; Agnesian Healthcare (Health Psych Emphasis); Lincoln Hills/Copper Lake Schools (health service psych); Madison VHA; Sheridan VA Health Care System

Good luck to 2020 and 2021 individuals :)

What if you already took an extra year because of family circumstances and didn’t go through match last year? so an extra extra year isnt an option anymore. What would you do then? (Serious question, trying to weigh my options).

Don't give up! There are plenty of excellent accredited sites left!

(If you feel that unaccredited is the path for you, there will be plenty of unaccredited sites left after Match II). And I say this as someone who has had to take 3 extra years due to various family, medical, and financial circumstances.

Don't give up! There are plenty of excellent accredited sites left!

(If you feel that unaccredited is the path for you, there will be plenty of unaccredited sites left after Match II). And I say this as someone who has had to take 3 extra years due to various family, medical, and financial circumstances.
I really DON’T want to do unaccredited because I want a job in a prison/state hospital (vs private practice)

but I worked so hard, and I feel like all my hard work and dreams just went poof and that maybe I won’t ever be a psychologist....

thank you for sharing, that did make me feel better. And you’re right, I can look at non-accredited in post match vacancy.

I really DON’T want to do unaccredited because I want a job in a prison/state hospital (vs private practice)

but I worked so hard, and I feel like all my hard work and dreams just went poof and that maybe I won’t ever be a psychologist....

thank you for sharing, that did make me feel better. And you’re right, I can look at non-accredited in post match vacancy.

There are several VA sites in phase ii this round. Consider applying to those if you’re looking for a career in hospital/corrections.

Also rather than the two terrible choices you listed above, apply for all the accredited sites in this phase and plan to take out loans if you need help with the cost of living depending on location.

If you don’t match with an accredited site there’s PMVS which occasionally has accredited sites that got accredited after match, or spend the year polishing your clinical experience in the areas you want a career (this is different than taking a year off because of family concerns). If you haven’t finished your dissertation do that too.

Reach out to the sites where you applied and didn’t get an interview for feedback on why you didn’t get one there. Reach out to the sites where you interviewed and ask for feedback on your interviews - don’t assume they didn’t rank you unless you ranked them and they are in phase ii. If that is the case, reach out to the TD directly and have a frank conversation about whether or not to apply again.

There are several VA sites in phase ii this round. Consider applying to those if you’re looking for a career in hospital/corrections.

Also rather than the two terrible choices you listed above, apply for all the accredited sites in this phase and plan to take out loans if you need help with the cost of living depending on location.

If you don’t match with an accredited site there’s PMVS which occasionally has accredited sites that got accredited after match, or spend the year polishing your clinical experience in the areas you want a career (this is different than taking a year off because of family concerns). If you haven’t finished your dissertation do that too.

Reach out to the sites where you applied and didn’t get an interview for feedback on why you didn’t get one there. Reach out to the sites where you interviewed and ask for feedback on your interviews - don’t assume they didn’t rank you unless you ranked them and they are in phase ii. If that is the case, reach out to the TD directly and have a frank conversation about whether or not to apply again.
Thank you for the encouragement!! I didn’t think of reaching out to places where I didn’t get an interview. I see none of them are in round 2, but it would be nice to get feedback! Truly, thank you for your responses, its giving me some hope. This really felt like the end of the line for some reason.

I had a similar feeling every time I had to extend my program--it's horrible. You may have to take a less direct path to reach your dreams, but there are absolutely ways you can still reach those dreams. Hang in there.

Are you open to VAMC internships? Most of my forensic psych friends have loved their VA training, and there are some excellent VAMC positions available. I've heard good things about the North Chicago VA. I also interviewed at (and ranked) the Chillicothe, Kansas City, and G.V. Sonny Montgomery VAMCs, which all have really impressive programs. I'd recommend any of those, and I'm sure many of the others are good, as well. Feel free to message me if you want additional information about any of those sites. I'm more than happy to share my experience and what I know about them.

You can do this. Good luck!

Okay guys, rejects unite! I'm actually not as sad as I thought after looking over the Phase II sites...

My most pressing question is that a site I didn't match but did have an interview with still has an open position. The site only has had 20 or so interviewees the previous 3 years..that shocked me a bit, but I'm assuming that they ranked less than 20 people and that's why I didn't match with them? Obviously seems like a solid option considering I was already a candidate and liked the site.

Because I already received an interview, meaning they at least somewhat liked my written materials, how should I approach re-applying..? Should I write an entirely new cover letter addressing our initial conversations/interview (e.g. I truly enjoyed my visit) or should I just start from scratch as a new applicant. That one definitely is a head scratcher because I thought I had a solid interview there, at least enough to be ranked by them!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Okay guys, rejects unite! I'm actually not as sad as I thought after looking over the Phase II sites...

My most pressing question is how quick is this process really? I know we have until next week to submit applications but is there a benefit to applying earlier? Or should we take our time, review everything, and as long as we meet the deadline everything will be held equal?

Also: A site I didn't match but did have an interview with has an open position. The site only has had 20 or so interviewees the previous 3 years..that shocked me a bit, but I'm assuming that they ranked less than 20 people and that's why I didn't match with them? Obviously seems like a solid option considering I was already a candidate and liked the site.
TD's will have access to applications only after the deadline so it's not "first come first serve" type of thing.

Could you please speak a little more about how a VA would help out my career/training interests in corrections/state hospital? To me, it seems like they have nothing in common so that is why I had never considered applying to these, but you are the second person to suggest it!
My practicum experience include a state hospital, an adult IOP, and a substance use clinic...would a VA really think I might be a good fit?

Could you please speak a little more about how a VA would help out my career/training interests in corrections/state hospital? To me, it seems like they have nothing in common so that is why I had never considered applying to these, but you are the second person to suggest it!
My practicum experience include a state hospital, an adult IOP, and a substance use clinic...would a VA really think I might be a good fit?

Ok, it's clear that you've never stepped into a VA before...haha. Plenty of VAs with inpatient units, adult IOPs and SUD clinics. There are many Veterans struggling with SMI and substance use. Sounds like your experience would make you a great fit for a VA.

Reactions: 6 users
To be honest, the corrections jobs for psychologists are dying for people in my state, if you have an accredited internship from anywhere, they will hire you. But, as has been said by others, the VA, particularly the larger hospitals, have a wide variety of rotations that would definitely ready someone to work in state hospitals of corrections settings.

Ok, it's clear that you've never stepped into a VA before...haha. Plenty of VAs with inpatient units, adult IOPs and SUD clinics. There are many Veterans struggling with SMI and substance use. Sounds like your experience would make you a great fit for a VA.
Ah no I really haven't! Actually my spouse was in the military but he goes to the non-VA doctors so I have no experience with that.
As a side note, I did work on the local Air Force base in the CDC/SAS before I met my husband....would that be relevant at all to mention during interviews as having experience with the military population? (mostly familiar with the impact of service and deployment on military families and their children).

I also had no idea VA's had inpatient units! Very cool!

Ah no I really haven't! Actually my spouse was in the military but he goes to the non-VA doctors so I have no experience with that.
As a side note, I did work on the local Air Force base in the CDC/SAS before I met my husband....would that be relevant at all to mention during interviews as having experience with the military population? (mostly familiar with the impact of service and deployment on military families and their children).

It's absolutely relevant to talk about your experience and knowledge of military culture and I think really important. I know that I received the feedback that my understanding of military/veteran culture and ability to discuss it thoughtfully were attractive to sites.

Hi all! I am also in phase II. Of course I was dissapointed and upset at first - but looking through all these amazing sites available has been super reassuring and comforting!

Any thoughts on how many sites you will be applying to? I don't know what a good number is for this phase.

Hi all! I am also in phase II. Of course I was dissapointed and upset at first - but looking through all these amazing sites available has been super reassuring and comforting!

Any thoughts on how many sites you will be applying to? I don't know what a good number is for this phase.
all of them! lol But I am making the list of all the ones I'm interested in and then applying to them. Not really looking for a max/min number since interviews are about an hour long over skype or phone so doing a lot of interviews is feasible!

Does anyone else’s school make you come in when you don’t match on match day to tell you how to do phase 2? Yea. That was awful.

• Sad
  • Wow

Especially at the larger VA hospitals, they have more inpatient resources than most non-VA hospitals of similar size. They can afford to because of their funding. No one who is interested in treating adult should be overlooking VA for internship and postdoc. I wouldn't work in a VA again, but its still the best training ground, on average for a wide variety of specialties.

Since it’s free to apply I would just really try to diversify and do as many as you can!

Yes, definitely mention your experience because being part of a military family and understanding military culture is a huge bonus.

Each VA is different and has some unique training opportunities (spinal cord injury, blind rehab, residential and domiciliary programs, inpatient psych, PHP/IOP, home-based care, community living centers/long-term care, assessment, women's mental health, neuropsych, hospice, oncology, SMI, PTSD, sleep and pain clinics, SUD and dual-diagnosis, etc.; some even have equine therapy, forensic rotations where you have to go to court, or affiliations with local first-responders for trainings and ride-alongs).

VA bureaucracy is a pain, but once I started working with Veterans I couldn't go back.

The VA set-up and medical record system also allows for a lot of interdisciplinary work, which is a great skill to have regardless of where you end up.

It's definitely worth checking out the brochures.

There's two tracks at my former internship program in round 2, and honestly, I'm shocked because it's an amazing, accredited site and in a very geographically competitive area...lots of great options are still open!

If you don’t mind me asking, which site?

Sorry to be annoying and ask again, but did anyone else see a site that they interviewed at with openings in Phase 2? I'm wondering if this is a good sign because they already liked my application or a bad one because they obviously didn't rank me lol

Sorry to be annoying and ask again, but did anyone else see a site that they interviewed at with openings in Phase 2? I'm wondering if this is a good sign because they already liked my application or a bad one because they obviously didn't rank me lol
It means they did not rank you. Before you dismiss them, I think it's worth it to reach out and inquire about applying again if you're still interested. I've heard of sites limiting the amount of people they rank in the past so it may not be a complete rejection.

• Haha
It means they did not rank you. Before you dismiss them, I think it's worth it to reach out and inquire about applying again if you're still interested. I've heard of sites limiting the amount of people they rank in the past so it may not be a complete rejection.

I agree it’s worth reaching out. On occasion when we don’t rank someone it’s because they seem super invested in something that we don’t offer and we’re concerned they’ll be miserable which in turn tends to make everyone miserable. A conversation with the TD can clear this up.

I agree it’s worth reaching out. On occasion when we don’t rank someone it’s because they seem super invested in something that we don’t offer and we’re concerned they’ll be miserable which in turn tends to make everyone miserable. A conversation with the TD can clear this up.

Thanks guys, obviously today is a tough day but that particular issue was confusing me. So you would see it approriate to reach out directly to the TD before applying to see if I'm still under consideration? Or would this violate some of APPIC's rules concerning talking with unmatched sites in Phase II before submitting applications?

Thanks guys, obviously today is a tough day but that particular issue was confusing me. So you would see it approriate to reach out directly to the TD before applying to see if I'm still under consideration? Or would this violate some of APPIC's rules concerning talking with unmatched sites in Phase II before submitting applications?

You can reach out for feedback directly from the TD and discuss if it’s appropriate to apply again or if they would suggest against it. Don’t mention rankings.