APPIC Internship Phase II 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope! Or Devereux...What the heck??
I know! I was so excited about it. Hope they're not pulling the position.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does everyone feel about a site that still has all of their spots open? I don’t want to ask them but I’m super curious. Asking about a VA

How does everyone feel about a site that still has all of their spots open? I don’t want to ask them but I’m super curious. Asking about a VA
Another site that I asked an intern about, she said she thought the more competitive interns matched at more competitive sites. Or some sites are fairly new and maybe not well known. Some are in the middle of bum**** nowhere. Some are in the middle of HIGH cost of living areas with like a 25k stipend.

Reactions: 1 users

I had a Phase I interview at a VA that has all their spots open in Phase II, and they were absolutely AMAZING! I also know other people who completed internship there and loved it. I originally ranked them pretty high, but my spouse asked me to rank them lower due to location (long-distance marriage/travel-with-layovers time). Some excellent training programs may have a lot of positions open because they're not in competitive or popular regions or they just didn't rank enough people.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a Phase I interview at a VA that has all their spots open in Phase II, and they were absolutely AMAZING! I also know other people who completed internship there and loved it. I originally ranked them pretty high, but my spouse asked me to rank them lower due to location (long-distance marriage/travel-with-layovers time). Some excellent training programs may have a lot of positions open because they're not in competitive or popular regions or they just didn't rank enough people.
Would you mind sharing which VA you are talking about either in the forum or direct message?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing which VA you are talking about either in the forum or direct message?

I interviewed and ranked the Sonny Montgomery VA in Jackson and the Kansas City VA (also the Chillicothe VA, which I think had 1 position left). I would highly recommend all three of their training programs (if you have the flexibility to relocate to those areas). Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information or have questions about those VA internships.

Rejection after emailing to inquire about my application status from Jesse Brown VA, Spokane VA, and UT at Austin.

• Sad
Rejection from Miami VA Health Psych position. Email noted they would not be including my application in their ranking which seemed different from other interview rejections.

Anyone here participating in the CAPIC match process. I did not receive any interview invites from Phase 2.

Anyone here participating in the CAPIC match process. I did not receive any interview invites from Phase 2.
So sorry to hear this! Hang in there, you’ll land something!

Ahh good to know okay so since I haven't heard anything I'll assume thats a rejection too.... thats a bummer
Yeah I have a few others I haven’t heard from and that others on here haven’t posted they’ve heard from that I emailed (also emailed devereux and got an out of office till March 15th email from the DCT, and Children’s Institute with no response yet) But Charleston was the one I was most hoping to get an interview from :( at least today or this weekend the whole interviewing process will be over!

Yeah I have a few others I haven’t heard from and that others on here haven’t posted they’ve heard from that I emailed (also emailed devereux and got an out of office till March 15th email from the DCT, and Children’s Institute with no response yet) But Charleston was the one I was most hoping to get an interview from :( at least today or this weekend the whole interviewing process will be over!

I hear you! I was really hoping to get an interview at charleston and deveruex too! Weird that they are out of office....?

There is also the Post match Vacancy! Which will still have paid and maybe APA positions.
I recall you said you only got one interview in Phase I. Do you think it would be worth it getting in touch with the place where you got the interview, and asking if they noticed anything off about your application, and why they decided to interview you if they did notice something off?

Interviews are done for me...11 sites to rank. Big decisions! How are you all handling this right now?

Interviews are done for me...11 sites to rank. Big decisions! How are you all handling this right now?
As a neuro person I'm trying to balance the desire to wrap up the PhD with concern about how post-docs are going to view a not-quite-traditional internship setting...

How do you rank if you have 4 TOP favorite sites, and then 5 also super great but not quite top sites? :(

and then a bunch of "meh" sites, but I'm not stressing too much about making sure my rank for these is perfect.

Things are pretty much equal regarding stipend/location/schedule/training opportunities.

Has anyone had an experience of a training director contacting your letter writers? Would you take this as a positive sign?

Has anyone had an experience of a training director contacting your letter writers? Would you take this as a positive sign?

Could be. We usually reach out to references when we’re interested in someone but want to get a little more info than we could get on paper and interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I think I have seen a thread for this last year, just might have to use the search function or dig around the forums. But it was titled like "post vacancy match"
did anyone ever find this previous forum for last year's post vacancy match? If so, please share!

I had a site I interviewed with and ranked at Phase I do this. I see the site is also in Phase II, so if it's the same site I'm thinking of, then it's standard practice for this program according to their online materials.

It was a positive sign for me. The site seems to have a lot of interest in me but wanted to ask my writers some specific questions about my application. The TD made it sound like those conversations were very positive for him.

I just got an email from a site asking for an interview! So hold out hope!
(no it wasn't one of those charleston, deverauex, or other sites that people keep posting about on here)

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an email from a site asking for an interview! So hold out hope!
(no it wasn't one of those charleston, deverauex, or other sites that people keep posting about on here)
crazy! is it scheduled for the weekend?

No they asked about Monday.
first of all--- LOL at the parenthetical. second of all-- thats such a crunch to email you today, for an interview monday, when rankings are due monday at 11:59! if it was a site i wasnt super excited about i might decline. but its hard to decline with all the anxiety. congrats, still!

Hi Everyone, I just found this forum. Wish I had found it sooner, it would have helped me through my extreme disappointment of not matching. Almost everyone matched in my cohort accept for 3 of us I was wondering if anyone has any advice on ranking, if I like two sites equally?! I would have to move for both, so considering geographical location is not an option.

Hi Everyone, I just found this forum. Wish I had found it sooner, it would have helped me through my extreme disappointment of not matching. Almost everyone matched in my cohort accept for 3 of us I was wondering if anyone has any advice on ranking, if I like two sites equally?! I would have to move for both, so considering geographical location is not an option.

Welcome! These decisions are tough. I'm going through something similar and I'm going to write out loud about my process.

It's been worth it for me to really think about my goals and values. Goals are my training wishlist...(settings, people, interventions, etc) and whatever is part of the answer to "if everything goes perfectly right...how am I going to feel and what am I going to know how to do after internship?" My values include getting supervision that feels like personal investment in me (i.e., is the site training-oriented or do I get the sense I am working and happening to learn through the experience)? I also put a lot on how the interviews felt, how the people I interviewed with talked about their work, their clients and what they're excited about. Do these people care about the clients and interns they work with? Does the administrative structure seem to allow them time and energy to care? My very smart friend told me to pay attention to how I felt after each interview, as it might be an insight into how those supervisors might make me feel throughout training. Then I thought about the lifestyle...geography, cost of living, could I live in this place for more than just a year? I am single and have no kids and am up for an adventure but I also need to rely on only my stipend so it is important to me that the area is livable with the money being offered. Considering that all, is there one site that just feels more right?

At some point, it is just a leap of faith. I also struggle with not "gaming" the algorithm based on how I thought I performed in the interview (like I have a site I really like but I'm hesitant to rate it highly because I felt like I bombed the interview). My mentor urged me to rank it where I would if I felt I'd aced the interview, because fit is most important and intern ranking trumps the site's rankings.

• Care