Apply as Nondegree Seeking or 2nd Bachelors?? DIY Post-Bacc help pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivre17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior nursing student graduating in May 2018. I want to start taking my med school pre-reqs during Summer or Fall 2018, but I'm having trouble with maneuvering applications. I only want to take classes and at this time do not intend to pursue a second bachelor's degree. I don't think I'll be applying for federal loans if that's a factor.

(on ApplyTexas)
For my current university, I started a "readmit" app for Summer 2018, but should I apply as "nondegree seeking" or "2nd bachelors"? -->I hear it's harder to get approval to take classes if you're nondegree seeking, but I've heard that an unfinished second degree looks bad for med school applications (even if I'm not actually trying for one).

For other schools, do I apply as a transfer or a transient student? And again, nondegree seeking or 2nd degree?

I haven't even looked at out of state applications yet, and frankly, I'm terrified to. Any and all help is majorly appreciated, y'all. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied as a "non-degree seeking" student for my DIY post bacc which made me ineligible for financial aid and put me towards the bottom of the priority list for picking classes.

Technically, the right thing to do would be to apply as a "non-degree seeking" student, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't know a few people who indicated that they were pursuing a second bachelors and jumped ship when the app cycle began.

I applied as a "non-degree seeking" student for my DIY post bacc which made me ineligible for financial aid and put me towards the bottom of the priority list for picking classes.

Technically, the right thing to do would be to apply as a "non-degree seeking" student, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't know a few people who indicated that they were pursuing a second bachelors and jumped ship when the app cycle began.

Jumped ship, from med school apps? How so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jumped ship from the DIY post-bacc.

As in they stopped taking classes (because they finished taking all their required pre-reqs) just as the medical school application cycle began.

Jumped ship from the DIY post-bacc.

As in they stopped taking classes (because they finished taking all their required pre-reqs) just as the medical school application cycle began.

Gotcha, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying:laugh:
Yeahhh I'm leaning towards that honestly. But it's not gonna hurt me, is it?

You should apply as (second) degree seeking, any science major that will enable you to take the pre-reqs should be fine. This will enable you to register much earlier than a non-degree seeking student and make a balanced schedule with the best professors. I did 40 hours as an environmental science major and had no trouble upon applying to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply as (second) degree seeking, any science major that will enable you to take the pre-reqs should be fine. This will enable you to register much earlier than a non-degree seeking student and make a balanced schedule with the best professors. I did 40 hours as an environmental science major and had no trouble upon applying to medical school.

Bless

Definitely do a second bachelor's. On top of early registration (6 weeks earlier for some classes), you will also be eligible for loans and some scholarships