Apply Early with bad DAT or Late with Updated DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAM313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really need help making this decision! I have my AADSAS application finished and ready to send out, but I'm sending it with a low DAT score. I'm retaking it in mid July and was wondering if I should send my application now or wait until the new updated score. Please weigh in on what I should do. Thank you so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd say apply now since you can enter your upcoming test date. They'll see that you're retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
When is it too late? Can I push my DAT back till the end of July? I just don't want them to view my old score and put me in the rejected pile before they view my (hopefully) higher score.
I'd say apply now since you can enter your upcoming test date. They'll see that you're retaking.

I am in the same boat...

PAT-20
RC-25
Biology-19
GC-16
OC-16
QR-16
TS-17
AA-18

I am afraid I will be put in the rejected pile before I can get my updated scores in late August. I am afraid this application cycle will be a wash for me.

Follow your gut feeling.

I had similar concerns, but the advice I received here and from ADSAS was to submit the application early, self-reporting the old scores with the upcoming test date indicated. It was good to get it out of the way so I can focus on studying. I chose schools where I meet the averages of the past class and will add more schools when I see my new DAT scores.

Last edited:
Score 17 GPA 3.1

Normally I'd say submit now and indicate the future DAT date, but this is kind of a rough position since you might get screened out early due to the combination of low GPA and low DAT. This is a tougher call but your best chance is probably still submitting now and updating the scores when they come in. Have you looked into a post-bac or masters if this cycle doesn't work out?

Normally I'd say submit now and indicate the future DAT date, but this is kind of a rough position since you might get screened out early due to the combination of low GPA and low DAT. This is a tougher call but your best chance is probably still submitting now and updating the scores when they come in. Have you looked into a post-bac or masters if this cycle doesn't work out?

Gonna bump this. I think a masters would do a lot to help the low gpa. unless youre gonna get a 22+ (maybe even 23+) on your DAT you would be better off doing an smp. after you do a masters you should retake the DAT then imo

So I'm applying to dental schools this cycle for Fall 2018, and I'm currently waiting for MWU masters and LECOM postbacc to get back to me for Fall 2017

Gonna bump this. I think a masters would do a lot to help the low gpa. unless youre gonna get a 22+ (maybe even 23+) on your DAT you would be better off doing an smp. after you do a masters you should retake the DAT then imo