Applying both MD and MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious as to how many applicants apply to both. Also, what kind of research productivity do MD/PhD programs look for? I’m a while from applying but just curious. Have any of you done this before? How is it being in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

just curious as to how many applicants apply to both. Also, what kind of research productivity do MD/PhD programs look for? I’m a while from applying but just curious. Have any of you done this before? How is it being in the program?

You should check out the Physician Scientist forum for more info about the MD/PhD path. Read the FAQs and Stickies and that should answer most of your questions.

Personally, I’d recommend figuring out which path you prefer BEFORE you apply and then going all-in on one type of application (all MD/PhD or all MD). This is because your application will be stronger the more coherent it is and it will be better if every component: activities, ECs, experience, PS, LORs contribute to the same argument.

Reactions: 1 users
You should check out the Physician Scientist forum for more info about the MD/PhD path. Read the FAQs and Stickies and that should answer most of your questions.

Personally, I’d recommend figuring out which path you prefer BEFORE you apply and then going all-in on one type of application (all MD/PhD or all MD). This is because your application will be stronger the more coherent it is and it will be better if every component: activities, ECs, experience, PS, LORs contribute to the same argument.

Where can I find them? Thank you for answering.

Members don't see this ad :)

My impression from SDN is that a fair number of research heavy applicants apply MD only and in some cases with great success to T20 medical schools. How does this work exactly? How do they explain why they're applying MD only and not MD/PhD?

My impression from SDN is that a fair number of research heavy applicants apply MD only and in some cases with great success to T20 medical schools. How does this work exactly? How do they explain why they're applying MD only and not MD/PhD?

I think explaining why not to pursue a PHD is the easiest question anyone could ever be asked: “I don’t want to spend my life in an insanely competitive race for grants and protected time to conduct my research, id rather become the best clinician I can be and find ways to work research into a primarily clinical career.”

Aka. “Lmao twice the work for half the pay? Nah bruh.”

Reactions: 5 users
I think explaining why not to pursue a PHD is the easiest question anyone could ever be asked: “I don’t want to spend my life in an insanely competitive race for grants and protected time to conduct my research, id rather become the best clinician I can be and find ways to work research into a primarily clinical career.”

Aka. “Lmao twice the work for half the pay? Nah bruh.”

When I get asked the question, may I quote you, “Lmao twice the work for half the pay? Nah bruh.”

I'll make sure to give proper attribution.

Reactions: 1 users
That question would imply the incorrect assumption the MD are purely clinical and MD/PhD are purely research. A large fraction of med school faculty are solely MD and focus significant time in research, both clinical and lab. Additionally a large fraction of medical schools have separate MD and PhD adcoms that will look at applicants independently. In short, it is extremely unlikely that anyone will ask you why MD over MD/PhD. Indeed, you are more likely to be asked why MD over PhD alone.

Is that a question you're more likely to get if interviewed at one of the research intensive medical schools?

Either do all MD or all MD/PhD.

4b1beb636e4f4f2572f64c27e0bbac49--star-wars-quotes-war-quotes.jpg

Actually up to around last April, I was debating whether to apply MD or MD/PhD. I have around 7 years of research stretching from high school science fair to now, and ~6 pubs/chapters, etc., so it wasn't due to lack of research or a poor application. What led me to my decision?

1. If an MD/PhD were to make the decision to just pursue medicine, then this isn't optimal because the PhD splits the medical education into two segments, and by third year, there will be some difficulty adjusting to rotations (because the last time you've seen preclinical material was around 4 years ago). This is assuming that your PhD will take up most if not all of your time.

2. Besides the cost, there isn't really a difference between getting an MD first and then getting a PhD later (if necessary).

3. There's an issue of matching a PI that you'd perhaps want and the clinical experience from the medical school. In other words, you have to choose the entire package - both the PI and the medical education has to be from the same school. This isn't as flexible because it may limit your options for PhD.

4. It's not really the degrees you get that is important - it is the laboratory training. I think it's definitely possible to get postgraduate training equivalent to a PhD without getting a PhD right now. It's entirely possible to do research with just an MD; the amount of funding you may get is dependent on your ability, not your credentials.

5. I don't know what residency and specialty I am going to have. If I were to do surgery, it's unlikely I will have the same amount of time for research.

6. You're going to spend your twenties in one spot. You'll be in your early to mid thirties before you're ready to start a lab or practice. Just something to consider, especially if you want to support a family.

Reactions: 1 user
Either do all MD or all MD/PhD.

4b1beb636e4f4f2572f64c27e0bbac49--star-wars-quotes-war-quotes.jpg

Actually up to around last April, I was debating whether to apply MD or MD/PhD. I have around 7 years of research stretching from high school science fair to now, and ~6 pubs/chapters, etc., so it wasn't due to lack of research or a poor application. What led me to my decision?

1. If an MD/PhD were to make the decision to just pursue medicine, then this isn't optimal because the PhD splits the medical education into two segments, and by third year, there will be some difficulty adjusting to rotations (because the last time you've seen preclinical material was around 4 years ago). This is assuming that your PhD will take up most if not all of your time.

2. Besides the cost, there isn't really a difference between getting an MD first and then getting a PhD later (if necessary).

3. There's an issue of matching a PI that you'd perhaps want and the clinical experience from the medical school. In other words, you have to choose the entire package - both the PI and the medical education has to be from the same school. This isn't as flexible because it may limit your options for PhD.

4. It's not really the degrees you get that is important - it is the laboratory training. I think it's definitely possible to get postgraduate training equivalent to a PhD without getting a PhD right now. It's entirely possible to do research with just an MD; the amount of funding you may get is dependent on your ability, not your credentials.

5. I don't know what residency and specialty I am going to have. If I were to do surgery, it's unlikely I will have the same amount of time for research.

6. You're going to spend your twenties in one spot. You'll be in your early to mid thirties before you're ready to start a lab or practice. Just something to consider, especially if you want to support a family.

So you say in interviews that you might want to continue doing research while serving as a clinician?

How do you explain why you want to pursue medical practice instead of a career exclusively devoted to research given you extensive background in research?

Having extensive research background doesn’t mean I’ll want a career exclusively research oriented.