Applying with my first MCAT score, but have an upcoming MCAT retake in August.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowstone_mt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't do very well on my first MCAT attempt in January and I am retaking in August. Everyone keeps saying to apply early. If I apply before my MCAT retake will schools wait to review my application? Or will they look at it, and then take my second scores into account? I am applying to both DO and MD schools. Let me know if you have any advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will see that you have a planned MCAT and may wait for it before reviewing your application, but they are not required to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant make a general insight into this but in this particular case is I would wonder why someone who took it in January, who then got the score back in February, who is planning apply this year, waits until August for a retake?

I will say that I find that from an advising standpoint (not an adcom perspective) that those who take a spring (April/May/June) MCAT and then make a rushed retake in the same cycle in July/August, often do not do as well.

I had chronic cholecystitis for a year and I was very sick. I just recently got my gallbladder taken out.

Curious. How do schools see that an applicant is signed up for another MCAT exam?

@yellowstone_mt what was your Jan MCAT?

On your application it should say that you have an upcoming test date in the test scores section. I got a 496 so I was devastated, but I also was very sick this year with chronic cholecystitis and just got my gallbladder removed so I am confident that I can increase this score now that I am well again.

On your application it should say that you have an upcoming test date in the test scores section. I got a 496 so I was devastated, but I also was very sick this year with chronic cholecystitis and just got my gallbladder removed so I am confident that I can increase this score now that I am well again.

You may not like my advice but here it is.... I think you need a gap year. Don't apply this cycle. You have no idea how you'll do on the Aug MCAT, and honestly, you have to spank it to overcome that 496, since some med schools may average your two scores (so I've heard, not sure about that). You need to show that the 496 was just some sort of "bad day".

You're not ready to apply now. And the results for the Aug test won't be in until Sept...you'd likely have a failed cycle.

Also....you need to spend every waking hour (almost literally) preparing for your next MCAT. Perhaps consider moving that test date out to the last one of this year.

Read some medical journals, too. What test prep are you using?

Reactions: 1 users
So I didn't do very well on my first MCAT attempt in January and I am retaking in August. Everyone keeps saying to apply early. If I apply before my MCAT retake will schools wait to review my application? Or will they look at it, and then take my second scores into account? I am applying to both DO and MD schools. Let me know if you have any advice! Thanks!
You will be screened based upon your first score.

Do NOT apply until you have the best possible app, even if it means skipping this app cycle. Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are 100% ready for it.

Reactions: 4 users
You will be screened based upon your first score.

Do NOT apply until you have the best possible app, even if it means skipping this app cycle. Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are 100% ready for it.

Bad first score and poor judgement to sit for a high stakes exam when not ready/sick.

I’d advise getting at least a 515+ even if it means taking close to a year before sitting for the exam (still will only average to 505). There’s no point in testing if your practice scores aren’t at or above your target.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice everyone! Yes this time if I am not ready when it's getting close to test time I won't take it and will wait another year.

Most schools will wait until your retake but do you want to spend all that money on apps before knowing your new score?

Most schools will wait until your retake but do you want to spend all that money on apps before knowing your new score?
I doubt it. We're just plowing through piles of data. I wish I had a nickel for every scheduled MCAT that never materialized. There may be some states where the number of applications is small enough that they can afford to do this, though.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice everyone! Yes this time if I am not ready when it's getting close to test time I won't take it and will wait another year.

I think you're missing the point.

What you're saying is that if August comes and you feel "ready" to take the MCAT, you'll take it AND submit your app. That is a big mistake because you'll be submitting in Aug.

Don't apply this cycle. You're not ready, even if in August you think you're ready for the MCAT.

Does anyone here think this student should apply THIS cycle?

I had chronic cholecystitis for a year and I was very sick. I just recently got my gallbladder taken out.

Then what possessed you to take the MCAT in January? Why didn't you just pay the fee and reschedule? At a minimum, on test day, you knew your condition, so why didn't you cancel your score?

Someone upthread commented that your taking the test when very ill was a demonstration of poor judgment, and that's really true. That is further evidenced by your plan to retake in August, if you feel ready, and apply. Sound judgment would suggest waiting until your ready to spank the MCAT and apply next cycle.

Last edited:
Then what possessed you to take the MCAT in January? Why didn't you just pay the fee and reschedule? At a minimum, on test day, you knew your condition, so why didn't you cancel your score?

Someone upthread commented that your taking the test when very ill was a demonstration of poor judgment, and that's really true. That is further evidenced by your plan to retake in August, if you feel ready, and apply. Sound judgment would suggest waiting until your ready to spank the MCAT and apply next cycle.

I didn't know I had it then. I knew I had been sick but I thought I was just stressed out. Sometimes life happens and you just have to deal with it the best you can. And yes, maybe it was a bad decision, but I already did it and here I am. I appreciate the advice, but I was really just wondering if schools would be reviewing my app if I did submit now. Have a lovely day! :)

appreciate the advice, but I was really just wondering if schools would be reviewing my app if I did submit now.

As @Goro (med school faculty) says:
You will be screened out based upon your first score

So, that means: don't risk it. Don't apply this cycle. Retake the MCAT when you're prepared to do the best you can, even if that means paying to have the Aug date moved to Sept (I don't think you can move a test date to 2018 since those won't be announced until, I think, October)

I already did it, so here I am.

Yes, now let's not repeat that reality by applying this year and having to say that quote again next year. :prof:

Bad first score and poor judgement to sit for a high stakes exam when not ready/sick.

I’d advise getting at least a 515+ even if it means taking close to a year before sitting for the exam (still will only average to 505). There’s no point in testing if your practice scores aren’t at or above your target.
Well shoot if we're advising people to get 95%ile scores, why not just have them shoot for 99%ile? A year won't make any difference. After 4 months of solid prep, you're either ready or you're not. Some of your score is determined by innate intelligence, not on how much you can memorize or practice.

Well shoot if we're advising people to get 95%ile scores, why not just have them shoot for 99%ile? A year won't make any difference. After 4 months of solid prep, you're either ready or you're not. Some of your score is determined by innate intelligence, not on how much you can memorize or practice.
I believe anyone can get a 95%ile score with enough rigorous prep.

Only exceptions- being too old to the point where breaking bad habits or “learning how to learn” becomes too challenging.

Sorry you feel differently.

Also the whole point of 95%ile was that OP got a 496 score. For schools that average Mcats there is practically not hope unless they knock the exam out of the park.

Last edited:
I didn't know I had it then. I knew I had been sick but I thought I was just stressed out. Sometimes life happens and you just have to deal with it the best you can. And yes, maybe it was a bad decision, but I already did it and here I am. I appreciate the advice, but I was really just wondering if schools would be reviewing my app if I did submit now. Have a lovely day! :)

I hear you. My advice is still to delay applying until next year. Many schools will still see that 496 and reject.