Appropriate length for UF supp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

winddolphin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know the deadline is not until 10/31, but I am soon going on a trip and needs to send in Florida's supplemental essay early....
It's a diversity essay with an one-page alotted space. I have a hard time writing this thing (I know I am not alone!), so I am wondering how long all of you UF applicants out there are writing it. Dang it, if there's anything unique about myself, I have already put it in my VMCAS personal statement.
I have about 1/2 page; writing one page would really be stretching it....
 
I didn't apply to UF so I can't speak for their app, but IMO, don't write more if you don't have anything else to say. If your essay only fills half a page, leave it at half a page. I suspect adcoms can tell if you're trying to "fluff" things, and it's always better to say something succinctly. Plus, I bet they'd probably be appreciative of having just a little bit less to read 😉
 
I agree with tastrophe. Some of the essays I wrote I had to work to keep under the limit, and some were less than half the limit. I just made sure I answered the question and said what I wanted to say. Don't worry about it! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your input guys! =)
Few more questions tho: should things I've already discussed in my personal statement be restated? My goal is to eventually become a veterinary acupuncturist, and this goal/interest is kind of unique. I have already put this in my personal statement, so I don't want to repeat it in the UF supplemental. Should I?
I have focused my essay on my background and how that shaped my perspective on certain things. If I were to talk about my interests, that's jumping subjects.....Any suggestions on how to make the transition?
Lastly, do we need to literally say "because of my background/interest/quality, I will contribute to the class's diversity?" I am used to just saying what makes me unique, but maybe that's not the way I should do it.....

Sorry it's a lot of questions....but my personal statement already sucked out all my brain power...I am so bad at writing essays 🙁