Army Not Offering 3 Year HPSP 2016?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsfan1986

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started M1 I am really interested in applying for the 3 year Army HPSP program. However, I've talked to a couple of different recruiters who told me that they aren't offering any 3 year scholarships this year. Anyone else run into this? Should I simply contact a different recruiter until I get the answer I'm looking for?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Three year scholarships will be considered on a case-by-case basis as an exception to policy. Have your recruiter contact the HPSP office at 1-877-MED-ARMY for instructions.

Just as a side note, ANYONE who has not signed an oath of office for the Army by COB today will be required to do an additional four weeks of officer training. This has the possibility of seriously impacting your Graduate Medical Education experience. If you are able to complete this four week training between your M-1 and M-2 year, you will still need to complete the normal six-week officer basic at some point before accessing to active duty. This means that if you do it while in HPSP, you will miss one of the normal two paid "interview" rotations at a medical facility for internship/residency. If you do not complete the six-week course while in HPSP, you will have to do it enroute to your internship, which means a late start of about eight weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a side note, ANYONE who has not signed an oath of office for the Army by COB today will be required to do an additional four weeks of officer training. This has the possibility of seriously impacting your Graduate Medical Education experience. If you are able to complete this four week training between your M-1 and M-2 year, you will still need to complete the normal six-week officer basic at some point before accessing to active duty. This means that if you do it while in HPSP, you will miss one of the normal two paid "interview" rotations at a medical facility for internship/residency. If you do not complete the six-week course while in HPSP, you will have to do it enroute to your internship, which means a late start of about eight weeks.

USArmyHPSP - Does this apply to prior service that receive HPSP or to ROTC commissioned officers that receive HPSP? Or, is it only Direct Commissioned without prior service? What about taking it prior to M1/D1 - or is that not an option as the HPSP contract is signed too late to get them to a pre M1/D1 summer Direct Commission course?

All good questions. The OPORD hasn't been issued yet but was has been discussed in the past is that:
1. ROTC, Military Academy, Prior Service as an Army Officer, and OCS graduates are exempt
2. The option of attending prior to graduate school is the optimal solution for a couple of reasons. One is that the medical students will be able to attend the normal six-week course between M-1 and M-2 as they do now. Second, the argument can be made that because they are attending prior to graduate school, they are not yet taking advantage of the scholarship, and it should not be counted as one of their four ADTs. Of course, this relies on the Accessions folks to get the student scrolled, oathed, and appointed in time for HRC to get them orders to attend and DFAS to be able to get them an advance for uniforms...