Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long can I expect (worst case scenario) to be away from my wife? As I get closer to signing up, my wife is getting a little bit nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it still possible to apply for a 3-yr air force scholarship. I am currently a first year in dental school. If not, do you know if the navy or army are still accepting applications for the 3-yr scholarships. Thanks

Is it still possible to apply for a 3-yr air force scholarship. I am currently a first year in dental school. If not, do you know if the navy or army are still accepting applications for the 3-yr scholarships. Thanks

Yes the deadline has passed for AF. 3 year HPSP recipients were notified this week. I'm not sure about the Army and Navy, but I'm pretty sure the deadline has passed for them as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am currently a 1st year. It seems that the deadline for 3 year HPSP has passed. Do you foresee more 2 year HPSP given out for class of 2014 next application cycle thus I should submit paperwork for it?

Thanks.

This was mentioned as an example of BAH pay in another post (the one about pay for a entering dentist to the AF), so I was curious...

Can AF dentists be stationed in NYC? I always thought only recruiters, OSI agents, attaches, etc could be there.

I wanted to get something clarified if possible...I checked the BAH for where the AF wants to send my wife and I next year...and unless i'm blind, it's been reduced by $175???? What's goin on here?

I wanted to get something clarified if possible...I checked the BAH for where the AF wants to send my wife and I next year...and unless i'm blind, it's been reduced by $175???? What's goin on here?

Housing prices in the area have gone down...BAH is a reflection of the local housing costs so since the housing market has been dropping BAH goes down. On the plus side if it goes down after you arrive your BAH will stay what it was when you arrive but if it goes up you get the increased price.

What is the work schedule like for an AF dentist after the AEGD? I've heard 40-60 hours is this correct? I was hoping for only 40.

What is the work schedule like for an AF dentist after the AEGD? I've heard 40-60 hours is this correct? I was hoping for only 40.

I am currently at Elmendorf right now and the work day starts at 0700 which means the docs usually get there by at least 0650. The work day officially ends at 1630 but paper work and what not keeps most docs at the office a half an hour to an hour later. On a normal day some of the docs might get out early (1630) depending how fast they can do their paper work or procedures etc. But 45-50 hours is seems to be par for most docs that don't have extra administration work to be done. I am not done with the AEGD so I am giving this a good guesstimate since the residents are always the last ones to leave and first to get there.

How long can I expect (worst case scenario) to be away from my wife? As I get closer to signing up, my wife is getting a little bit nervous.

6 months is the current length of deployment for tours, so the most probable length of time you will be gone is 6 months.

I was thinking about what I'll do this summer between may, when I graduate and July, when I start COT. Is there any reason I can't do some temp dental work at a private office in that month span since I wont have any income or anything to do?

I'm a few years away from this but in terms of where I'll be stationed, how exactly does the Air Force decide who goes where? What I mean is, what if another guy and I have the same place on our list and there is one opening. How does the Air Force decide which of us gets it? Are these things based on grades, board scores, who requests it first, or a mixture of many things?

Its a mixture. whether or not you have been to an AEGD can come into play. What your strengths are and what the base needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am currently a 1st year. It seems that the deadline for 3 year HPSP has passed. Do you foresee more 2 year HPSP given out for class of 2014 next application cycle thus I should submit paperwork for it?

Thanks.
No way to know for sure. This year was the first year we have had 2-year scholarships in quite a while. May have some next year, and we may not.

This was mentioned as an example of BAH pay in another post (the one about pay for a entering dentist to the AF), so I was curious...

Can AF dentists be stationed in NYC? I always thought only recruiters, OSI agents, attaches, etc could be there.
No

The DOD reviews these costs annually and they can either go up or down. Good thing is once you are at a location, your amount cannot go down, but it can go up.

I was thinking about what I'll do this summer between may, when I graduate and July, when I start COT. Is there any reason I can't do some temp dental work at a private office in that month span since I wont have any income or anything to do?
Contact AFPC. They can give you the rules on this right form the regs.

I am currently at Elmendorf right now and the work day starts at 0700 which means the docs usually get there by at least 0650. The work day officially ends at 1630 but paper work and what not keeps most docs at the office a half an hour to an hour later. On a normal day some of the docs might get out early (1630) depending how fast they can do their paper work or procedures etc. But 45-50 hours is seems to be par for most docs that don't have extra administration work to be done. I am not done with the AEGD so I am giving this a good guesstimate since the residents are always the last ones to leave and first to get there.

Good estimate here. I would add that some weeks are shorter and some are longer. Your workday really depends on what your responsibilites are outside of your delivery of dental treatment. Most young Captains, don't have too much responsibility over providing care, so you shouldn't have to stay too long.

Good to know the weeks can be bearable...especially for those of us planning on starting families once d-school is over.

So I am applying for the 4 year HPSP, and my recruiter just sent in my application packet. He told me the estimated board meeting time is 25 January. If this is the case, do you know about how long it will be until I find out any results?

Also, does anyone know where I can find the pay scale for entering active duty after dental school? (If I was to go without a residency) I've found a few sites, but the charts were super confusing.

So I am applying for the 4 year HPSP, and my recruiter just sent in my application packet. He told me the estimated board meeting time is 25 January. If this is the case, do you know about how long it will be until I find out any results?

That info is released by AF Recruiting Service. It usually doesn't take too long, but the 3-year announcement took a little longer this year for some reason.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the pay scale for entering active duty after dental school? (If I was to go without a residency) I've found a few sites, but the charts were super confusing.

This is a pretty good site. You'll be an O-3 with 0 years service.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay.html

Last edited:
Hello~

Question: What do dentists do when they are not deployed? (6 months out of the year)

AFDDS,

Just did some backreading. Why are Ortho and Endo not available out of dental school? Do you know if this is enforced DOD (is this even policy, or just that it never happens) wide, historically?

You may have answered this already (just thought to ask), but, how is access to dental/medical conferences handled; I assume civ conferences are fair game (any geographic restrictions?); are you flown out there, given special extra leave for them, etc; or are they completely on your dime and your leave time?

You mentioned forensics training being part of AEGD, is this also thrown in for the other residencies since they're military taught? If not, can you get that training after a residency in some way while being on regular duty?

One other thing, can you throw out a good link for AF residency programs and possibly that dental corps newsletter if possible (can't find it on AFPC or AFIT).

Thanks!

Remember, you're not deployed every year. When you are at your home duty station, you are practicing dentistry.

Thanks! For a second I imagined that dentists who aren't deployed had to find work, but I am glad I thought wrong.

AFDDS,

Just did some backreading. Why are Ortho and Endo not available out of dental school? Several reasons. Mainly because those are very competitive and we have extremely competitive candidates with AF time under their belt. Do you know if this is enforced DOD (is this even policy, or just that it never happens) wide, historically? It's AF Dental Service Policy, but can't tell you about the DOD. Its not unusual for someone to apply to those programs after their AEGD and get accepted though.

You may have answered this already (just thought to ask), but, how is access to dental/medical conferences handled; I assume civ conferences are fair game (any geographic restrictions?); are you flown out there, given special extra leave for them, etc; or are they completely on your dime and your leave time? You go TDY (Temporary Duty). It doesn't cost you leave. The AF pays registration fees and you get per diem for lodging and meals. Each base has a budget, so no real geographic restrictions other than everyone at the clinic is working out of that budget. If you ask to go to Australia for your conference, you would use up too much money. Civ conferences are the most common, but the AF also has some courses we give.

You mentioned forensics training being part of AEGD, is this also thrown in for the other residencies since they're military taught? If not, can you get that training after a residency in some way while being on regular duty? It is taught to the other residencies in the AF.

One other thing, can you throw out a good link for AF residency programs and possibly that dental corps newsletter if possible (can't find it on AFPC or AFIT).

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...ssignments&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_074444

Thanks!

I also posted some info earlier in this thread about our programs.

Thanks! For a second I imagined that dentists who aren't deployed had to find work, but I am glad I thought wrong.

Most of the dental mission in the AF happens right at the home duty station. We take great pride in working hard to send our folks down range in optimal oral health. We try to take care of all their needs before they deploy, so you will be busy with dentistry at your base.

so, I understand that I won't be getting into ortho or endo right out of school, but are the chances high, relatively speaking, after doing the AEGD? What factors do they mostly look at (grades, boards, performance, etc.)? Would one have a better chance doing a civilian residency after serving their time (although I would definitely like to stay in the AF)?

so, I understand that I won't be getting into ortho or endo right out of school, but are the chances high, relatively speaking, after doing the AEGD? What factors do they mostly look at (grades, boards, performance, etc.)? Would one have a better chance doing a civilian residency after serving their time (although I would definitely like to stay in the AF)?
We look at the whole person. Grades, boards, Extracurricular activities, Training reports from your AEGD, etc... An excellent recommendation from your AEGD program director goes a long way in helping you.

Chances are definitely better after an AEGD. I don't know if you would have a better chance of doing a civilian residency, but I don't believe it will hurt you in any way.

We look at the whole person. Grades, boards, Extracurricular activities, Training reports from your AEGD, etc... An excellent recommendation from your AEGD program director goes a long way in helping you.

Chances are definitely better after an AEGD. I don't know if you would have a better chance of doing a civilian residency, but I don't believe it will hurt you in any way.

Thanks - one more question: How long does the scroll process typically take? I've read that it can take months, is that true?

Hi AFDDS,

I am a 3rd yr currently with 3 yr AF scholarship. I am going to take the NBDE Part II relatively soon but I have a couple questions about the clinical board:

1. I heard that AF does not care which regional board exam we take as long as we have a dental license, but after we are done with the pay back years, do we automically eligible to work in any states or we still have to take the regional board exam for the state we want to practice in? (e.g. I am in Indiana right now and if I want to work in CA after AF, do I need to take the regional exam for CA again?)

2. Does AF scholarship covers the expenses for bringing the pt to the examination site or it only covers the registration fee?

3. If we goto COT after we graduate, do we get paid (as captain or 2nd Lieut.?) or not for that couple month before we report to the base?

Thank you for your time and patience!

Does anyone know when the AEGD 2 program starts at Lackland. I understand that it might be in June sometime.
Thanks

AFDDS,

You answered earlier a question regarding South Korean assignments saying they were all unaccompanied. This conflicts somewhat with what I heard while I was active.

I heard at a certain rank (both officer/enlisted) you could in fact bring your family but (and this is the part I'm fuzzy on) you would have to arrange and pay out of pocket for living expenses off base. Maybe I'm confusing the onbase/offbase issue with bringing your family, as in that at and above a certain rank you could choose to live off base for your short tour there, and IF you wanted to bring your family at that point, you could unofficially but have to do everything yourself. Thoughts?

Thanks you as always for your constant attention and help with questions, I hope some day I can meet and thank you in person (though I'm guessing you'll be retired before that :)

Hi AFDDS,

I am a 3rd yr currently with 3 yr AF scholarship. I am going to take the NBDE Part II relatively soon but I have a couple questions about the clinical board:

1. I heard that AF does not care which regional board exam we take as long as we have a dental license, but after we are done with the pay back years, do we automically eligible to work in any states or we still have to take the regional board exam for the state we want to practice in? (e.g. I am in Indiana right now and if I want to work in CA after AF, do I need to take the regional exam for CA again?) The AF just needs you to have a license. You can practice at any AF base with a valid license from one of the states. Once you separate or retire, you will need to fulfill the requirements for a license in the state you want to practice in. That may mean taking a board or licensure by reciprocity. Just depends on the state.

2. Does AF scholarship covers the expenses for bringing the pt to the examination site or it only covers the registration fee? Not that I know of.

3. If we goto COT after we graduate, do we get paid (as captain or 2nd Lieut.?) or not for that couple month before we report to the base? You get paid as a Capt

Thank you for your time and patience!

An important side note here. Anyone that is non-prior service should be paid as a Capt with 0 years. Sometimes the payroll people get mixed up by looking at your commissioning date and give you credit for dental school toward pay. If you look at your LES and see you are getting paid as something other than a Capt with 0 years, you need to start saving that money, because at some point you will have to pay it back.

AFDDS,

You answered earlier a question regarding South Korean assignments saying they were all unaccompanied. This conflicts somewhat with what I heard while I was active.

I heard at a certain rank (both officer/enlisted) you could in fact bring your family but (and this is the part I'm fuzzy on) you would have to arrange and pay out of pocket for living expenses off base. Maybe I'm confusing the onbase/offbase issue with bringing your family, as in that at and above a certain rank you could choose to live off base for your short tour there, and IF you wanted to bring your family at that point, you could unofficially but have to do everything yourself. Thoughts?

Thanks you as always for your constant attention and help with questions, I hope some day I can meet and thank you in person (though I'm guessing you'll be retired before that :)
For the majority, all AF assignments to Korea are "unaccompanied". Some higher ranking individuals in leadership/command positions that will be there longer may be able to take their family "command sponsored". At this time everyone else in the AF cannot. If you family is not "command sponsored", they are not eligible for care in the military medical facilty there, and they don't have some of the other benefits they would have here. You don't receive any extra pay for them while they are there, so it can be expensive.

The DOD is looking at changing this policy, but who knows when or if it will be finalized.

I'm confused :confused: ...I have 9 years in before going to dental school..so now my LES says 12 years...so when I start COT my pay will be Capt with 12 years or Capt with 9 years?

An important side note here. Anyone that is non-prior service should be paid as a Capt with 0 years. Sometimes the payroll people get mixed up by looking at your commissioning date and give you credit for dental school toward pay. If you look at your LES and see you are getting paid as something other than a Capt with 0 years, you need to start saving that money, because at some point you will have to pay it back.

I'm confused :confused: ...I have 9 years in before going to dental school..so now my LES says 12 years...so when I start COT my pay will be Capt with 12 years or Capt with 9 years?
You don't get any credit toward pay for dental school. If the 12 is due to your dental school, it is wrong and the amount you have been over paid will eventually be "refunded" back to DFAS.

Has anyone heard when the board is meeting to consider 4yr HPSP scholarships? I saw that Jan 25 was mentioned on this post but I did not know if that had been set.
Any word from recruiters?

Has anyone heard when the board is meeting to consider 4yr HPSP scholarships? I saw that Jan 25 was mentioned on this post but I did not know if that had been set.
25 Jan is the day. However, it could be 2-3 weeks after that before the results are released.

25 Jan is the day. However, it could be 2-3 weeks after that before the results are released.

This is to determine who will be receiving the 4 year scholarships this cycle? Or is this to determine how many will be available for the next cycle?

By the way, after I take the DAT in March, should I just go down to my local recruiter and say I'm interested in the HPSP (I assume bringing anything unofficial wold be pointless, as they'll require official scores/transcripts sent in)? I figured I should wait till I had my DAT scores to talk to them. Also, since my state has no health profession specific recruiters, the regular office should be able to handle or liaise with someone for me, right?

This is to determine who will be receiving the 4 year scholarships this cycle? Or is this to determine how many will be available for the next cycle?

By the way, after I take the DAT in March, should I just go down to my local recruiter and say I'm interested in the HPSP (I assume bringing anything unofficial wold be pointless, as they'll require official scores/transcripts sent in)? I figured I should wait till I had my DAT scores to talk to them. Also, since my state has no health profession specific recruiters, the regular office should be able to handle or liaise with someone for me, right?

You need to get in touch with a health professions recruiter. The local office should know who to contact. If they do not, let me know and I'll find out for you. You can contact them anytime. They won't do anything official until you have some scores, but they can tell you when to start submitting your application materials.

Just as a reference for you, I found out on the first Wednesday in February last year. It will be at least a week, maybe 2 until you hear.

Hi, I am a practicing dentist with almost 3 years of experience now, i was wondering if the air force offers any sign-on bonus and loan repayment program for dentists to join? and how many years is the that program? please give me some info....

Hi, I am a practicing dentist with almost 3 years of experience now, i was wondering if the air force offers any sign-on bonus and loan repayment program for dentists to join? and how many years is the that program? please give me some info....

The only bonuses offered at this time are for specialists or for General Dentists that have completed a 2 year residency in general dentistry. The AF is close to fully manned, so it is difficult, if not impossible, to get in right now if you are not a HPSP scholarship student.

Minimal time for service is 3 years.

The only bonuses offered at this time are for specialists or for General Dentists that have completed a 2 year residency in general dentistry. The AF is close to fully manned, so it is difficult, if not impossible, to get in right now if you are not a HPSP scholarship student.

Minimal time for service is 3 years.

Does this mean an even smaller number of scholarships next cycle, or has "close to fully manned" been the status quo for a while (last couple cycles), in which case the scholarship numbers won't vary too much? Not asking for anything concrete, just your educated opinion/guess.

Does this mean an even smaller number of scholarships next cycle, or has "close to fully manned" been the status quo for a while (last couple cycles), in which case the scholarship numbers won't vary too much? Not asking for anything concrete, just your educated opinion/guess.

We have been at this level for the last 2 years or so. I don't forsee too much change in the next cycle.