Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If an HPSP were to do an AEGR & then apply to a specialty & be accepted during their payback, would you owe any additional time for the second residency? How would the payback work if, say, you did and AEGD your first year out of school & then did a perio or endo or whatever residency starting the second year (so you applied during your AEGD & went straight from one to the other)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If an HPSP were to do an AEGR & then apply to a specialty & be accepted during their payback, would you owe any additional time for the second residency? How would the payback work if, say, you did and AEGD your first year out of school & then did a perio or endo or whatever residency starting the second year (so you applied during your AEGD & went straight from one to the other)?

Thanks
First, understand that this is highly unusual if not impossible now. The AEGD programs all start and end in July or August. You have to be in place for orientation on the 2nd week of June. All residencies officially begin (start classes) on 1 July. So, it would be impossible for you to graduate an AEGD-1 in August and make it to your specialty program.

Now this actually works in you favor somewhat. Once you graduate your residency, you would go to a base (usually the base where you will train) and start working off some of your time for HPSP. Then when you start training, you stop paying off HPSP commitment (can't pay back education while in education). Once you graduate your training, your residency commitment and your HPSP commitment will be paid concurrently (at the same time). Since you have already paid off about 10 months of HPSP, you will, technically, owe less time.

Now, if you train AFIT (AF sends you to a civilian program), the rules are slightly different and you will need to discuss that with AFPC.

First, understand that this is highly unusual if not impossible now. The AEGD programs all start and end in July or August. You have to be in place for orientation on the 2nd week of June. All residencies officially begin (start classes) on 1 July. So, it would be impossible for you to graduate an AEGD-1 in August and make it to your specialty program.

Now this actually works in you favor somewhat. Once you graduate your residency, you would go to a base (usually the base where you will train) and start working off some of your time for HPSP. Then when you start training, you stop paying off HPSP commitment (can't pay back education while in education). Once you graduate your training, your residency commitment and your HPSP commitment will be paid concurrently (at the same time). Since you have already paid off about 10 months of HPSP, you will, technically, owe less time.

Now, if you train AFIT (AF sends you to a civilian program), the rules are slightly different and you will need to discuss that with AFPC.

Thanks so much for the info! This seems like a pretty good way to go bc you get a little more general experience.

When you say AF sends ppl to a civilian program, they would only do that if you requested it, right? If you apply to an AF program, could you be told you must to go to a civilian program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the info! This seems like a pretty good way to go bc you get a little more general experience.

When you say AF sends ppl to a civilian program, they would only do that if you requested it, right? If you apply to an AF program, could you be told you must to go to a civilian program?
You can be told to go, if that's the only option. Usually, they try to send those with more time in service to civilian programs. However, it doesn't always work that way.

Do you know anything about Oral Path &/or Hospital Dentistry residencies? I didn't see anything on the AFMS Public site about Oral Path.

I'm just curious, in general, what these folks do career wise, in the AF, in residency, in private practice, etc... I checked out the AAOMP website too, but there's not a ton of career info there. If anyone has a suggestion on how to find out more about these career paths, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

Do you know anything about Oral Path &/or Hospital Dentistry residencies? I didn't see anything on the AFMS Public site about Oral Path.

I'm just curious, in general, what these folks do career wise, in the AF, in residency, in private practice, etc... I checked out the AAOMP website too, but there's not a ton of career info there. If anyone has a suggestion on how to find out more about these career paths, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.
We don't have an O Path residency, but have been sending folks to the Air Force Institute of Pathology for quite a while. That program may be going away, I'm not sure, but we will continue to train people in this.

Hospital Dentistry is a Fellowship. You need to go to the AEGD-II or a 1 year GPR first. It is an excellent program. I would love to do it myself, but I may be too far along in my career. I am going to start going over to the clinic some this summer, I hope.

Last edited:
You can be told to go, if that's the only option. Usually, they try to send those with more time in service to civilian programs. However, it doesn't always work that way.
I will be attending UOP this upcoming summer. I am hoping to be selected for an HPSP scholarship this cycle. Just a couple of last minute questions though. First of all, just to be clear, i will only owe 3 years correct? Or do they try to get you on the "paying for 4 years worth" of school idea?
Now, onto the program. I am hoping to attend an Oral Surgery residency. My strong desire would be to attend a civilian 6-year residency (since the military no longer offers those) where i would also obtain an MD (for many reasons including fellowships and focusing on facial reconstruction and trauma). These reasons i want to obtain an MD are also some of the reasons i want to practice in the Air Force (strong surgical cases).
My question is: How likely is it that i would be able to attend a civilian residency over an AF one (i know it depends on "the needs at the time") given i have the proper scores, etc.
Since i want to obtain an MD and the AF knows they will have me as an OMFS 6 years down the road, will they be more likely to let me?
Or by accepting an HPSP scholarship would i pretty much be throwing my future in that regard completely up to chance and that my only way at that point would be to do a 4-yr with the AF or just wait til i get out.
I have read that it is very difficult if not impossible to get into a med school just for the "OMFS" portion of it to obtain an MD after doing a 4-yr.
Obviously ideal option would be to tell the AF to have 6-yr programs again.....
Thank you for the help...
Chris

I will be attending UOP this upcoming summer. I am hoping to be selected for an HPSP scholarship this cycle. Just a couple of last minute questions though. First of all, just to be clear, i will only owe 3 years correct? Or do they try to get you on the "paying for 4 years worth" of school idea?
Now, onto the program. I am hoping to attend an Oral Surgery residency. My strong desire would be to attend a civilian 6-year residency (since the military no longer offers those) where i would also obtain an MD (for many reasons including fellowships and focusing on facial reconstruction and trauma). These reasons i want to obtain an MD are also some of the reasons i want to practice in the Air Force (strong surgical cases).
My question is: How likely is it that i would be able to attend a civilian residency over an AF one (i know it depends on "the needs at the time") given i have the proper scores, etc.
Since i want to obtain an MD and the AF knows they will have me as an OMFS 6 years down the road, will they be more likely to let me?
Or by accepting an HPSP scholarship would i pretty much be throwing my future in that regard completely up to chance and that my only way at that point would be to do a 4-yr with the AF or just wait til i get out.
I have read that it is very difficult if not impossible to get into a med school just for the "OMFS" portion of it to obtain an MD after doing a 4-yr.
Obviously ideal option would be to tell the AF to have 6-yr programs again.....
Thank you for the help...
Chris
The payback time for a 3-year scholarship at UOP has been a question people keep batting back and forth. I'll have to check to see the latest answer, but will post it here as soon as I find out.

As for the 6-year program, you nailed it with the needs of the AF at the time. I don't know if the AF will ever go back to a 6-year program. It has been talked about a few times, but definitely no firm plans to lengthen one of our existing programs back to a 6-year program. Fellowships in TMJ, Trauma, and Plastics are available to all 4-year trained OMS and we have openings for those fellowships almost every year if not every year.

All training for the AF must meet an AF board, just like the other services. The only way not to go through that system is to get educationally deferred to go to the OMS program of your chosing. You don't get paid anything for that and you are not on active duty, so no benefits. Once you do come on Active Duty, you only owe the time for your HPSP. Don't get your hopes up about being educationally deferred, it doesn't happen very often since we need you on active duty.

The payback time for a 3-year scholarship at UOP has been a question people keep batting back and forth. I'll have to check to see the latest answer, but will post it here as soon as I find out.

As for the 6-year program, you nailed it with the needs of the AF at the time. I don't know if the AF will ever go back to a 6-year program. It has been talked about a few times, but definitely no firm plans to lengthen one of our existing programs back to a 6-year program. Fellowships in TMJ, Trauma, and Plastics are available to all 4-year trained OMS and we have openings for those fellowships almost every year if not every year.

All training for the AF must meet an AF board, just like the other services. The only way not to go through that system is to get educationally deferred to go to the OMS program of your chosing. You don't get paid anything for that and you are not on active duty, so no benefits. Once you do come on Active Duty, you only owe the time for your HPSP. Don't get your hopes up about being educationally deferred, it doesn't happen very often since we need you on active duty.
Do you know what it takes to get a deferral? IS it pretty much just luck and timing?
Thanks

Do you know what it takes to get a deferral? IS it pretty much just luck and timing?
Thanks
Lots of luck and applying to a specialty that is under staffed. I can tell you it is a rare occurance, but it has happened. No way to know what the chances are until you are closer to applying.

hi i would like to speak to you about enrolling and continuing with dentistry in usa , please email me back for an answer.

Should hear about the 4 yr AF HPSP any day now...I spoke to the recruiting office and they said they expected announcements of the results sometime this week. Has anyone heard anything else? ugh, such anxiety, it's Dec 1 all over again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Should hear about the 4 yr AF HPSP any day now...I spoke to the recruiting office and they said they expected announcements of the results sometime this week. Has anyone heard anything else? ugh, such anxiety, it's Dec 1 all over again!
Last word I recieved on Monday is that the board results are being tabulated and the results should come out very soon.

Last word I recieved on Monday is that the board results are being tabulated and the results should come out very soon.
Posted this on another thread, thought i'd post it here:

WOOHOO!!
Just got a phone call today from my recruiter! 1 of 11 selected for a 4-year scholarship this year! I will only be using 3 of those years since i am going to UofPacific, so i will only owe 3 years payback.
i am so pumped right now, can't wait to get everything started! Hope to see some of you in the future!

Posted this on another thread, thought i'd post it here:

WOOHOO!!
Just got a phone call today from my recruiter! 1 of 11 selected for a 4-year scholarship this year! I will only be using 3 of those years since i am going to UofPacific, so i will only owe 3 years payback.
i am so pumped right now, can't wait to get everything started! Hope to see some of you in the future!

Congrats! I think you'll be pleased with how quickly and easily things get done. It's been an awesome experience for me so far.

Hey is there a reason for some to here back on the status of the 4-year HPSP and not others, I thought the results were all sent out at the same time? And does anyone know if there is only one date for dentists to go to COT, I saw there were multiple dates but was told by a recruiter that you can only go in June? I already graduated and I'm getting married in June so I was hoping to get into the COT in March but was told that is not an option.

They don't always release all of the results the same day. Also, the non-selects will usually hear a few days after the selects.

There are multiple dates for COT. the number of seats are limited, however. If you want to go then, it would be best to contact AFPC to see if they can get you in another class.

Hey is there a reason for some to here back on the status of the 4-year HPSP and not others, I thought the results were all sent out at the same time? And does anyone know if there is only one date for dentists to go to COT, I saw there were multiple dates but was told by a recruiter that you can only go in June? I already graduated and I'm getting married in June so I was hoping to get into the COT in March but was told that is not an option.

They don't always release all of the results the same day. Also, the non-selects will usually hear a few days after the selects.

There are multiple dates for COT. the number of seats are limited, however. If you want to go then, it would be best to contact AFPC to see if they can get you in another class.

Thanks for this info AFDDS. I'm waiting to hear and then see if I need to get things prepared for a 3-year application. Good luck to everyone. It is great that so many people are enthusiastic about serving those who serve.

Thanks AFDDS for being so helpful. I have a few questions myself about Ortho residencies: I know that you can't apply to one straight out of dental school but do you know what they would look for in an applicant? Is it based more on years of experience in the Air Force and whether or not you have an AEGD or is it based on grades and board scores from dental school?

Also I heard from my recruiter that Korea is no longer a 1 year tour but 2 or 3 years only. Is this true? I was interested in possibly going there but if it is 2-3 years then I'd rather stick to CONUS locations.

Last edited:
An important side note here. Anyone that is non-prior service should be paid as a Capt with 0 years. Sometimes the payroll people get mixed up by looking at your commissioning date and give you credit for dental school toward pay. If you look at your LES and see you are getting paid as something other than a Capt with 0 years, you need to start saving that money, because at some point you will have to pay it back.

With regards to time in service, we have been placed on active duty for a total of about 6 months now while we have been in the 4 years of school. Do these 6 months count towards time in service or not. I attended cot before school. Shouldn't that time go towards time in since (and I could be wrong) those who do cot after school get it, right?

With regards to time in service, we have been placed on active duty for a total of about 6 months now while we have been in the 4 years of school. Do these 6 months count towards time in service or not. I attended cot before school. Shouldn't that time go towards time in since (and I could be wrong) those who do cot after school get it, right?

It's not one for one. Since you are IRR, the amount of time you spend on active duty is not counted the same as if you were actual active duty. you will get some credit, but not much.

As a good example, a good friend of mine spent 20 years in the National Guard, doing weeks/year of active duty and 2 deployments. He then went active and received 6 years toward retirement.

quick question about the 3 year hpsp: when does the scholarship officially "start"? As in, when would I receive my first stipend?

quick question about the 3 year hpsp: when does the scholarship officially "start"? As in, when would I receive my first stipend?
If all administrative stuff is complete, you should start receiving it at the beginning of your 2nd year. It is sometimes delayed, but not usually for very long. Talk to your recruiter to get the average.

Hi AFDDS,
I am going to dental school on HPSP and would like to know what my obligations are for active duty tours. I have a long summer break (+2 months) after my D1 year and heard there is a Campus Tour or ADT. How does this work and what is the time span? My friend who goes to Maryland was pretty much ordered to just be a student for his active duty but I don't know if that varies by school?
Also, I am going to take the oath for the HPSP before I travel abroad for a month. My recruiter said I don't have to change the status on my visa (it currently is "student") but I would like to make sure it shouldn't change to "military" or something!
Thank you so much for your time!

Hi AFDDS,
I am going to dental school on HPSP and would like to know what my obligations are for active duty tours. I have a long summer break (+2 months) after my D1 year and heard there is a Campus Tour or ADT. How does this work and what is the time span? My friend who goes to Maryland was pretty much ordered to just be a student for his active duty but I don't know if that varies by school?
Also, I am going to take the oath for the HPSP before I travel abroad for a month. My recruiter said I don't have to change the status on my visa (it currently is "student") but I would like to make sure it shouldn't change to "military" or something!
Thank you so much for your time!

I can help with the first question. I'm a first year on the HPSP and your friend is right, nothing changes. You get a bump in pay as if you were an active duty 2nd. Lt. for 45 days and that's about it. And my orders also said I'm not allowed to travel outside of the country during that time. My ADT was Feb 1 - Mar 17 so it's not necessarily going to be in the summer. Long story short... nothing really changes.

I can help with the first question. I'm a first year on the HPSP and your friend is right, nothing changes. You get a bump in pay as if you were an active duty 2nd. Lt. for 45 days and that's about it. And my orders also said I'm not allowed to travel outside of the country during that time. My ADT was Feb 1 - Mar 17 so it's not necessarily going to be in the summer. Long story short... nothing really changes.

Can't get a much better answer than this. Most cannot get or do not have the time to go anywhere for their ADT. Therefore, it is usually spent at your school.

So I just read through all 25 pages :eek:. There's some great stuff here, thank you so much :D. I was just accepted into the 4-year program and I had a question about base assignments that (as far as I read) hasn't been asked/answered yet.

Let's say my future spouse and I want to get stationed abroad but only at specific bases, say in England or Germany, and not in Japan or Turkey, etc. . If we put those bases on our dream sheet, along with some bases stateside and the AFPC wasn't able to fill any of our top 8 preferences (however unlikely), would having put an abroad base on the preference sheet (i.e. Germany) give them a greater reason to put us abroad in one of the other countries (i.e. Japan), or would they mostly consider us for other stateside bases? Basically we really don't want to get stationed certain locations abroad and (given that the needs of the Air Force come first) we're trying to work around that.

Also, I was wondering how the flying benefits work, and/or if they even exist/are utilized. Do you just end up on a spare seat in a cargo plane or are there civilian planes that are commissioned by the AF? Are they easy/excessively difficult to use? The impression I've gotten is that they are sometimes not worth the effort. Just curious, thanks in advance!

So I just read through all 25 pages :eek:. There's some great stuff here, thank you so much :D. I was just accepted into the 4-year program and I had a question about base assignments that (as far as I read) hasn't been asked/answered yet.

Let's say my future spouse and I want to get stationed abroad but only at specific bases, say in England or Germany, and not in Japan or Turkey, etc. . Needs of the AF come first. If we put those bases on our dream sheet, along with some bases stateside and the AFPC wasn't able to fill any of our top 8 preferences (however unlikely), would having put an abroad base on the preference sheet (i.e. Germany) give them a greater reason to put us abroad in one of the other countries (i.e. Japan), No or would they mostly consider us for other stateside bases? Yes Basically we really don't want to get stationed certain locations abroad and (given that the needs of the Air Force come first) we're trying to work around that. I know you said it (and I did too), but Germany, England, Italy, etc... are very popular places to go. Gettihng your hopes up that the AF will limit your selections to those places is setting yourself up for a let down. Now, Turkey won't happen unless you volunteer for it. Japan is also unlikely unless you volunteer for it. If you put Germany high on your list and it isn't available, you will most likely go CONUS. I would highly recommend an AEGD program upon graduation. It will increase your skills and your chances of going OCONUS to places like Germany and England.

Also, I was wondering how the flying benefits work, and/or if they even exist/are utilized. Do you just end up on a spare seat in a cargo plane or are there civilian planes that are commissioned by the AF? Taking hops are space available. There are some rules and return flights are also space A, so you could get somewhere and end up needing to buy your own ticket to get back. The availability of flights really depends on where you are stationed. Some bases have no planes, so no hops out of those places. Are they easy/excessively difficult to use? The impression I've gotten is that they are sometimes not worth the effort. Just curious, thanks in advance!

I wouldn't say they are not worth the effort, but can be hard to schedule. First, it's easy to get bumped and 2nd as I noted above, if you get somewhere, you might get bumped and need to buy a one way ticket last minute to get back. There are a few books on how to maximize your success with space A flights. When you get commissioned, you can get on base somewhere and pick one up at the BX.

I don't want to seem harsh about the assignments, but I want to be real. The AF is almost fully manned. So the phrase, "needs of the AF" when it comes to assignments is more correct than ever. Just a few years ago, we had openings everywhere and it was easy to get places. Presently, it's different. If you want Germany or England, you will proboably need to complete an AEGD to get there.

I wouldn't say they are not worth the effort, but can be hard to schedule. First, it's easy to get bumped and 2nd as I noted above, if you get somewhere, you might get bumped and need to buy a one way ticket last minute to get back. There are a few books on how to maximize your success with space A flights. When you get commissioned, you can get on base somewhere and pick one up at the BX.

I don't want to seem harsh about the assignments, but I want to be real. The AF is almost fully manned. So the phrase, "needs of the AF" when it comes to assignments is more correct than ever. Just a few years ago, we had openings everywhere and it was easy to get places. Presently, it's different. If you want Germany or England, you will proboably need to complete an AEGD to get there.

I am definitely intending on doing the AEGD. I'll be sure to keep my grades up so I'm competitive. Also I speak fluent German, but I'm fairly certain that won't help me much getting stationed over there. Thanks for the response.

Actually I had one other question. Once again prefacing this with a "the needs of the Air Force come first" and a disclaimer that I know that most deployments are volunteered for, how likely is it (in the current political environment) that I would be ordered to deploy without volunteering? How likely if we got involved with another war?

Actually I had one other question. Once again prefacing this with a "the needs of the Air Force come first" and a disclaimer that I know that most deployments are volunteered for, how likely is it (in the current political environment) that I would be ordered to deploy without volunteering? How likely if we got involved with another war?

Understand that tyhe highlighted statement above is not necessarily true. Most deployments over 6 months in length are on a volunteer basis. Everyone in the AF has a deployment bucket they are in. you know well in advance when your bucket is. During that time frame you are eligible to deploy, volunteer or not. Some bases have more of a deployment mission than others, so some people are more likely to deploy than others.

Is there a way of finding the specific missions of the dental core for specific bases or is that info only found by talking to the right people?

If the later is true, who would that person/s be and do you think that they would be willing to share that info with the SDN community?

Are there bases, other than the AEGD programs, that can be considered stepping stones to the more desirable overseas bases?

I have heard of some people in the dental core being able to "homestead" at different bases after a certain amount of service time, is this true? If so what circumstances would allow for someone to homestead at a specific bases?

One last question sorry. I know someone who qualified for FLPB bonus but he doesn't speak one of the languages that is considered one of the difficult languages, ie Chinese, Arabic, Farsi. Are there Dental officers that can receive FLPB bonuses? Also, would Spanish qualify as a language that would allow you to receive FLPB assuming one speaks it fluently?

Understand that tyhe highlighted statement above is not necessarily true. Most deployments over 6 months in length are on a volunteer basis. Everyone in the AF has a deployment bucket they are in. you know well in advance when your bucket is. During that time frame you are eligible to deploy, volunteer or not. Some bases have more of a deployment mission than others, so some people are more likely to deploy than others.

So after doing some more reading (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/deployments.htm) I was wondering what "Tempo Band" dentistry belongs to in the Air Force. Is the "6 months every 24 months" figure listed there accurate? Does the "Tempo Band" change based on what base you're at? I'm just trying to figure out realistically how frequently I will be deployed so I know what to expect, I guess I was somewhat misled or confused based on my previous expectations. Thanks again for the response.

Is there a way of finding the specific missions of the dental core for specific bases or is that info only found by talking to the right people?

If the later is true, who would that person/s be and do you think that they would be willing to share that info with the SDN community?

Are there bases, other than the AEGD programs, that can be considered stepping stones to the more desirable overseas bases?

I have heard of some people in the dental core being able to "homestead" at different bases after a certain amount of service time, is this true? If so what circumstances would allow for someone to homestead at a specific bases?

Yes. If you go to Korea or Turkey, you are more likely to get your frist choice for your next assignment. You actually get a guaranteed follow-on from those assignmnets. However, its important to know the base you want might not be available. In other words, if you really want Hawaii, it may not be open. If you really want a specific base in Eruope, it may not be open when picking your follow-on, but most likely one will and you will have preference over someone that didn't go to those bases.

Homesteading is not as common as it used to be. It really only happens now for those in very small specialties or with specific skills (e.g. research trained, etc....)

One last question sorry. I know someone who qualified for FLPB bonus but he doesn't speak one of the languages that is considered one of the difficult languages, ie Chinese, Arabic, Farsi. Are there Dental officers that can receive FLPB bonuses? Also, would Spanish qualify as a language that would allow you to receive FLPB assuming one speaks it fluently?
If you speak one of the languages that receivees the bonus, it doesn't matter what your job is. The list changes from time to time and I'm not sure if Spanish is on it or not. However, with a foreign language skill, you might be interested in the International Health Specialist program. We have very few slots for this, but might be something you would be interested in.

So after doing some more reading (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/deployments.htm) I was wondering what "Tempo Band" dentistry belongs to in the Air Force. Is the "6 months every 24 months" figure listed there accurate? Does the "Tempo Band" change based on what base you're at? I'm just trying to figure out realistically how frequently I will be deployed so I know what to expect, I guess I was somewhat misled or confused based on my previous expectations. Thanks again for the response.
The tempo band rarely changes. I can't tell you reallistically how often you will be deployed. I would like to say two things about deployment though. 1. It doesn't happen very often. I've been in 13 years and deployed once. The job you are in and the base you are at will play a part on whether or not you will deploy. 2. We are the military. Deployment is a possibility. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but deployment is a real possibility. You won't go every 24 months, but you may go at any time.

Reactions: 1 user
The tempo band rarely changes. I can't tell you reallistically how often you will be deployed. I would like to say two things about deployment though. 1. It doesn't happen very often. I've been in 13 years and deployed once. The job you are in and the base you are at will play a part on whether or not you will deploy. 2. We are the military. Deployment is a possibility. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but deployment is a real possibility. You won't go every 24 months, but you may go at any time.

This might sound nuts to some, but what if you actually wanted to be deployed? I am AF HPSP and have always had an intense desire to serve my country, very patriotic, and would consider it an honor to be deployed and serve those fighting on the front lines. Are there ways to volunteer or is it entirely dependent on the base you're stationed at?

Last edited:
This might sound nuts to some, but what if you actually wanted to be deployed? I am AF HPSP and have always had an intense desire to serve my country, very patriotic, and would consider it an honor to be deployed and serve those fighting on the front lines. Are there ways to volunteer or is it entirely dependent on the base you're stationed at?
Yes. You can volunteer.

I am interested in finding out more about the International Health Specialist program.

Would you be willing to share what you know about the program?

Who would I speak to about entering the program and when would I start that process?

Also, as a side note, is Turkey a dependent accompanied station, is it generally highly desired location, and why/why not?

Same questions as above about South Korea?

You can PM me if you prefer.

I am interested in finding out more about the International Health Specialist program.

Would you be willing to share what you know about the program?

Who would I speak to about entering the program and when would I start that process?

Also, as a side note, is Turkey a dependent accompanied station, is it generally highly desired location, and why/why not?

Same questions as above about South Korea?

You can PM me if you prefer.
We only have 1 or 2 IHS dentists at one time. It's competitive and you really don't start the process until you are in and one of the positions come open.

Turkey is not dependent accompanied. It seems to be well liked by those that have been there.

Have any of you 4th years gotten orders yet? Thought they were supposed to be coming in last month?

Are there any 2 year HPSP for the class of 2014?

My recruiter told me he should know around this time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach him.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,
sorry to hijack the thread. i haven't read it all the way through. But I'd just like to get some insight and feedback on my particular situation:
1) I am a UOP 2002 graduate (3+3 program) and UCSF Fresno 2003 GPR graduate, that is interested in entering the Air Force in order to eventually be accepted to the Oral Maxillofacial residency program. What steps would I have to take to achieve this?
2) If I entered the Air Force, would I be able to apply directly to the oral surgery program or would I have to do a one year O.S. internship/GPR or just serve as a general dentist for a year or two before applying?
3) My grades (3.0)/ class rankings (middle of the class)/ part I board score (85) are not the most competitive, how could I increase my chances of being accepted to the oral surgery program in the Air Force?
4) I currently have had my own start-up practice since 2007, which I feel is doing very well financially. For me to leave my practice and pursue residency training is a risk. It is a risk, however I am willing to take. How have similar applicants with my background faired? I was interested in pursuing OMFS several years ago but due to family obligations I put that desire on hold. thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Have any of you 4th years gotten orders yet? Thought they were supposed to be coming in last month?

Same here man, I graduate in a month and am planning on moving out right away but haven't heard anything about orders. I've heard it takes a while to get the moving thing organized once I do get my orders so I'm starting to wonder how to get this figured out ASAP.

Are there any 2 year HPSP for the class of 2014?

My recruiter told me he should know around this time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach him.

Thanks.
AF 2-year HPSP scholarships are very rare. I contacted AFPC this morning and it doesn't look like any 2-year HPSPs will be offered this time around.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
sorry to hijack the thread. i haven't read it all the way through. But I'd just like to get some insight and feedback on my particular situation:
1) I am a UOP 2002 graduate (3+3 program) and UCSF Fresno 2003 GPR graduate, that is interested in entering the Air Force in order to eventually be accepted to the Oral Maxillofacial residency program. What steps would I have to take to achieve this?
2) If I entered the Air Force, would I be able to apply directly to the oral surgery program or would I have to do a one year O.S. internship/GPR or just serve as a general dentist for a year or two before applying?
3) My grades (3.0)/ class rankings (middle of the class)/ part I board score (85) are not the most competitive, how could I increase my chances of being accepted to the oral surgery program in the Air Force?
4) I currently have had my own start-up practice since 2007, which I feel is doing very well financially. For me to leave my practice and pursue residency training is a risk. It is a risk, however I am willing to take. How have similar applicants with my background faired? I was interested in pursuing OMFS several years ago but due to family obligations I put that desire on hold. thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.
The AF is currently 100% manned in most areas. The only people coming in right now that are not HPSP recipients are general dentists that have completed a 2-year AEGD or GPR (and even those are few), and some specialists. your chances of coming on as a general dentist are slim. Only way to know for sure is to contact the OMS consultant and discuss with him if you would be eligible to apply directly to the OMS program. I will PM you with his contact info.

AF 2-year HPSP scholarships are very rare. I contacted AFPC this morning and it doesn't look like any 2-year HPSPs will be offered this time around.

Thanks. From the other responses it seems that the AF is fully manned. And it's too late for HPSP.

So the only way to get in would be through a AEGD. Do those only go to HPSP students? How competitive would it be for a HPSP student to get a AF AEGD?

Thanks.