Aspiring Dental Student with low GPA options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cal Poly Undergraduate.
Junior (Senior standing).
2.7 overall GPA.
Planning to take DAT this summer (2019).
Have worked in a Dental Office for 4 years. (I have also logged about 2000 hours of dental related shadowing)

I was planning on applying to Dental School this cycle, but after this quarter's grades it seems highly unlikely that I would be accepted anywhere. My other option is to apply to a post baccalaureate program somewhere and then apply after. It was not until this year that I was able to pull my **** together, previously I averaged mostly B's and C's, now I am consistently getting B's and A's. I'm guessing my "upward trend" started to late to be competitive in any case. At this point I think I should just apply to a Post Bac program and go from there.
Any advice on how I should continue to pursue dental school?
Should I still attempt to apply to some dental schools, while also applying to a Post Bac program this summer?
What Post Bacc programs should I apply to?
Any advice would be much appreciated at this point, I am new to the whole process and do not know a lot about what timeline and strategy I should seek.

Is it a reasonable decision to apply to hygiene school as an intermediate between undergraduate and Dental school?
 
Last edited:
I'm glad that you finally got yourself together. Aim for a high score on the DAT. 21+. Regardless of how high your DAT is, I doubt it'll make up for the 2.7 GPA.
Now you would need to do a post-bac or a masters program. Get a 3.5+ in the program and apply next year (2020-2021 cycle).

Save your money and don't apply to dental schools this cycle UNLESS you are wanting to attend a post bac program that has a requirement of you having been denied to a dental school.

Some post bac / masters programs with linkages to their respective dental schools although not all of them guarantee you an interview are Marquette (post bac), Colorado (post bac), Rutgers (masters), Temple (post-bac), Nova (masters), Creighton (post-bac), Touro (masters), and UCSF (post-bac).
There are a lot of options. Find one that fits you! It honestly doesn't matter what program you choose to pursue.
 
Hey guys, I was posting about this in another thread but wanted to jump into one of these "chance me" threads as well. This cycle I applied with a 3.4 overall, 3.3ish science, and a 19AA DAT and everyone said I was crazy to apply. I ended up having 7 interview invites and got accepted on December 3rd. I work with some students at my school who are considered average/below average and advisors are telling them they don’t have a shot and do not apply; a lot of people on SDN are leaning that way as well. I’m showing them what I did to get interviews and get accepted, and helping them prepare for the cycle. I'm thinking about offering the same thing to some people on here... I don't know if anyone would be interested, but if you know someone with average/below average stats or really anyone worried about applying that would be interested, shoot me a DM!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I was posting about this in another thread but wanted to jump into one of these "chance me" threads as well. This cycle I applied with a 3.4 overall, 3.3ish science, and a 19AA DAT and everyone said I was crazy to apply. I ended up having 7 interview invites and got accepted on December 3rd. I work with some students at my school who are considered average/below average and advisors are telling them they don’t have a shot and do not apply; a lot of people on SDN are leaning that way as well. I’m showing them what I did to get interviews and get accepted, and helping them prepare for the cycle. I'm thinking about offering the same thing to some people on here... I don't know if anyone would be interested, but if you know someone with average/below average stats or really anyone worried about applying that would be interested, shoot me a DM!
how many volunteer hours did you do and what was the list of school you applied to??
 
Hey guys, I was posting about this in another thread but wanted to jump into one of these "chance me" threads as well. This cycle I applied with a 3.4 overall, 3.3ish science, and a 19AA DAT and everyone said I was crazy to apply. I ended up having 7 interview invites and got accepted on December 3rd. I work with some students at my school who are considered average/below average and advisors are telling them they don’t have a shot and do not apply; a lot of people on SDN are leaning that way as well. I’m showing them what I did to get interviews and get accepted, and helping them prepare for the cycle. I'm thinking about offering the same thing to some people on here... I don't know if anyone would be interested, but if you know someone with average/below average stats or really anyone worried about applying that would be interested, shoot me a DM!

Crazy to apply? Who said that? Those are average stats meaning you have a shot.
Surprised about the 7 interviews though
 
Honestly, a lot of SDN people said I needed a 20 or better on the DAT, and then all my advisors told me I was crazy and to not apply this last year without at least a 3.5 gpa and sgpa and a 20 or better on the DAT. I had the same thought as you though, the stats I had are average, meaning I had a shot if I could put together a great application all around, which I did and I ended up doing well. The 7 interviews surprised me as well, a little wild honestly.
 
Honestly, a lot of SDN people said I needed a 20 or better on the DAT, and then all my advisors told me I was crazy and to not apply this last year without at least a 3.5 gpa and sgpa and a 20 or better on the DAT. I had the same thought as you though, the stats I had are average, meaning I had a shot if I could put together a great application all around, which I did and I ended up doing well. The 7 interviews surprised me as well, a little wild honestly.
Which schools did you apply to?