Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Do you remember what the deadline to accept the offer was?
It may be different for each person because it depends on when you receive the offer. So once you get an offer you have 21 days to make the 4000 euro deposit. For me, my deadline was in the first week of April.

Hi may I know the reason for choosing NUIG over TCD? Just asking as am heading to TCD. Thank you
Yeah sure. When I applied my first choice was TCD because I had visited before, met with many of the faculty, and had a great overall impression of the school. I received the NUIG offer first, so I began doing more research about their program, and asking one of their faculty about the recent match results, attrition rate, and things along that line. I was very pleased with their information/stats. I also started looking into accommodations. Once I received the TCD offer went through the same process, however the person I was communicating with at TCD would not really give me statistics, and just assured me that their students do well. Then I looked at the cost of living in Dublin compared to Galway, and it was much more expensive. That is basically how I made the decision.

Just to be clear I am not saying TCD was trying to hide their statistics or anything of that sort. It is more probable that the person I spoke with did not have the information readily available. Also, in fairness, I had much more time to talk with NUIG than TCD because they sent the offer first, and when I received my TCD offer, I had days left to accept my NUIG offer.

Congrats, and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks, did they give any idea of when this may be?
I did send a separate email to ask when the webinar will be, but they said they are still working on the details.

Taking myself out of the UCD GEM Class of 2024. Got accepted to a US Medical School. Good luck to whomever is on the waitlist!

Yeah sure. When I applied my first choice was TCD because I had visited before, met with many of the faculty, and had a great overall impression of the school. I received the NUIG offer first, so I began doing more research about their program, and asking one of their faculty about the recent match results, attrition rate, and things along that line. I was very pleased with their information/stats. I also started looking into accommodations. Once I received the TCD offer went through the same process, however the person I was communicating with at TCD would not really give me statistics, and just assured me that their students do well. Then I looked at the cost of living in Dublin compared to Galway, and it was much more expensive. That is basically how I made the decision.

Just to be clear I am not saying TCD was trying to hide their statistics or anything of that sort. It is more probable that the person I spoke with did not have the information readily available. Also, in fairness, I had much more time to talk with NUIG than TCD because they sent the offer first, and when I received my TCD offer, I had days left to accept my NUIG offer.

Congrats, and best of luck!
Thank you for your detailed reply. I would like to be in Dublin - am a city bird! All the best with you too!

Hi, everyone! I have a question and was hoping that someone may have insight. I want to apply to TCD when the application opens later this year. However, I would not be able to start the program until 2022 as I am currently obtaining my Master of Public Health degree. I was wanting to defer a year but I am not sure if this would be possible. I was hoping to get someone's opinion on whether I should apply this cycle or during next year's cycle. Thanks!
I would advise you to apply next cycle to maximize your chances.
NUIG medical school receives 850+ applications from North America.
They accept approx 35. It's an acceptance rate of 4.12%. As a comparison, Yale Medical School has an acceptance rate of 6.5%. TCD is even more selective. If you are lucky to get accepted the first time you try, its best to take the offer and quit your Master's Program, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I received my offer for UCD for the GEM program in early May and I am super excited to say I accepted! But I'm a Permanent Resident in Canada, so I require a visa to go to Ireland, and sadly it seems they have suspended looking at new visa applications at this time. Anyone else in a similar boat? And know what they are gonna do?

Hi, I received my offer for UCD for the GEM program in early May and I am super excited to say I accepted! But I'm a Permanent Resident in Canada, so I require a visa to go to Ireland, and sadly it seems they have suspended looking at new visa applications at this time. Anyone else in a similar boat? And know what they are gonna do?
Email the Ottawa embassy. They should still be processing student visas. You can just express mail in the application, you do not need to present yourself in person, I believe.

You can submit a query on the website, I did it before.

Email the Ottawa embassy. They should still be processing student visas. You can just express mail in the application, you do not need to present yourself in person, I believe.

You can submit a query on the website, I did it before.
I did email them, but haven’t gotten a response yet. I emailed AB and they said that I should just do the application and they will try and help. As the embassy is currently closed cause of COVID....

I did email them, but haven’t gotten a response yet. I emailed AB and they said that I should just do the application and they will try and help. As the embassy is currently closed cause of COVID....
No. they definitely reply. Wait till Monday or Tuesday. They r not closed, just working remotely.

New here, wondering if any other GEM applicants with cancelled MCATs got DEM offers?

I applied to the 4 GEM programs, and after 3 cancelled MCATs Cork gave me an offer to their DEM program, which I took. I met one other person in the same boat for my class next year, would love to see if there are more out there :)

New here, wondering if any other GEM applicants with cancelled MCATs got DEM offers?

I applied to the 4 GEM programs, and after 3 cancelled MCATs Cork gave me an offer to their DEM program, which I took. I met one other person in the same boat for my class next year, would love to see if there are more out there :)
You may be able to snatch a summer MCAT spot and switch to GEM? What are the score requirements?

You may be able to snatch a summer MCAT spot and switch to GEM? What are the score requirements?
They roped me in saying my offer can’t be switched after signing :( They also told me I was straight up unsuccessful for GEM and that they were full. Not entirely sure whether that was just because my cancelled MCATs rendered me ineligible. Taking the MCAT June 27th for my own pride anyways lol

They roped me in saying my offer can’t be switched after signing :( They also told me I was straight up unsuccessful for GEM and that they were full. Not entirely sure whether that was just because my cancelled MCATs rendered me ineligible. Taking the MCAT June 27th for my own pride anyways lol
lol.......throw it on their face when the result comes out

Hahah I’m planning on sending my score for the hell of it!
The tuition deadline for GEM is July 1st. Some people might not inform AB they will not matriculate but will simply not pay the rest of the tuition..You can ask UCC after July 1st, they might have some seats unfilled.

Does anybody know anything about getting a deposit refund from UCD since it has a delayed start? I thought I heard that they would provide a full refund in event of a delayed opening but I can't recall where I saw that...

Does anybody know anything about getting a deposit refund from UCD since it has a delayed start? I thought I heard that they would provide a full refund in event of a delayed opening but I can't recall where I saw that...
When is UCD starting? Even though UCC tells us that they would start online I feel that we are just going to have Internet classes "on-site" lol.

Do you guys think there will be an all-online option for incoming first years? So far, most universities in Ireland are planning for hybrid classes, but I'm not sure I want to pay for travel and accommodation, only to actually be required to be on campus for only two days a week!

Reactions: 1 users
Decided to withdraw my UCD acceptance due to covid related issues and being accepted to a school in the US. Good luck out there yall!

Do you guys think there will be an all-online option for incoming first years? So far, most universities in Ireland are planning for hybrid classes, but I'm not sure I want to pay for travel and accommodation, only to actually be required to be on campus for only two days a week!

Current Irish med student here. It is now looking like things will be back to normal come September. The lockdown we have been under is being lifted early.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, just wondering if people are still receiving offers around this time?

Hey guys, just wondering if people are still receiving offers around this time?

Haven’t gotten anything from UCD yet, perhaps they’re not done. I know someone mentioned they recently pulled out of their acceptance there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I just got accepted into Uni of Limerick. I didn't even apply to the program and was sent an interview and an offer. DId this happen to anyone else?

Hey everyone, I just got accepted into Uni of Limerick. I didn't even apply to the program and was sent an interview and an offer. DId this happen to anyone else?

giphy.gif

Congrats!!

Well congratulations!

giphy.gif

Congrats!!

Thank you! I'm essentially trying to decide between Limerick and SGU in the Caribbean. I'm so torn and confused. I haven't found much on the match rates for Limerick. Anyone have any info?

Wow that’s crazy! Never heard of anything like that happening! So you didn’t apply to Limerick but you applied to other Irish schools? And do you mind me asking what your stats are? If you’re comfortable with sharing

The Caribbean is career suicide. Do a LOT of research. Check out Med School Insiders review of SGU, he got a lot of backlash for telling the truth about their massive attrition rates. Irish schools are normal medical schools and you can get an Internship in Ireland if you don't match. You cant get an internship in Graneda

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know the average MCAT scores for seat holders this year?

Wow that’s crazy! Never heard of anything like that happening! So you didn’t apply to Limerick but you applied to other Irish schools? And do you mind me asking what your stats are? If you’re comfortable with sharing

Yeah I know it was very crazy. I applied to RCSI, Trinity and UCD.

Undergrad sGPA: 2.98
Grad: 2.8
MCAT: took it 3 times, highest was 497

The Caribbean is career suicide. Do a LOT of research. Check out Med School Insiders review of SGU, he got a lot of backlash for telling the truth about their massive attrition rates. Irish schools are normal medical schools and you can get an Internship in Ireland if you don't match. You cant get an internship in Graneda
Yes I saw that video too. I don't necessarily think it is career suicide though. I know people personally who have gone there and matched into great programs and specialties. For instance, a good friend of mine is currently at Duke doing IM. Having connections, attending conferences, etc really do help.

Yes I saw that video too. I don't necessarily think it is career suicide though. I know people personally who have gone there and matched into great programs and specialties. For instance, a good friend of mine is currently at Duke doing IM. Having connections, attending conferences, etc really do help.

I also know people who didn't match 3 and 4 years in a row: one guy graduated in 2011 and has been teaching at community college for $20 000 a year and the other girl fled to Europe, ignoring her $300k in loans and started a new life with a French guy.

You may be the exception, but it was way too scary for me knowing about the two cases above. I didn't want to gamble with my future that much.

The match stats and chances of actually working as a physician are way better in Ireland.

Yeah I know it was very crazy. I applied to RCSI, Trinity and UCD.

Undergrad sGPA: 2.98
Grad: 2.8
MCAT: took it 3 times, highest was 497
Have you heard back from trinity or UCD?

I also know people who didn't match 3 and 4 years in a row: one guy graduated in 2011 and has been teaching at community college for $20 000 a year and the other girl fled to Europe, ignoring her $300k in loans and started a new life with a French guy.

You may be the exception, but it was way too scary for me knowing about the two cases above. I didn't want to gamble with my future that much.

The match stats and chances of actually working as a physician are way better in Ireland.
Yes, I agree its all a gamble. I do think it takes way more effort than just studying hard when it comes to going to a Caribbean school. CONNECTIONS ARE KEY! All the people I knew made sure they did other supplemental things like going to medical networking events in the states, going to conferences, essentially really getting their names out there, branding themselves, doing research while on rotations and establishing those connections throughout their time in the Caribbean. Lol not saying the people you know didn't do that, but y'know, there's way more effort that goes into it other than just doing academically well in the Caribbean.

I do agree though, since Irish schools take after the US and Canadian schools, it is better and "easier" to match into residency programs.

Regardless, just because it was their story, doesn't mean it will be your story! We all have the ability to excel and match!

Have you heard back from trinity or UCD?
I have not heard anything back from those schools and I have submitted my application in January. When I emailed them last month, they said my application was still being considered. I hope this helps!