ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 2/7, Accepted 2/11!! Kirksville here I come!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a call yesterday that I'm In!!! I interviewed 1/31 which was a really quick response but I wish everyone the best of luck!!

Congratz! I dunno if you remembered me but we both interviewed on the same day and had to make a quick getaway before the storm. :laugh: Btw this may be a dumb question but did you guys send an email thanking the interviewers or an actual card?

Last edited:
Valentine's day interview tomorrow morning! Who else? :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent actual cards, had them left over from graduation and all they had was my name on the front and i wrote a nice thx u message inside and reiterated why i thought kcom was right for me. Dont think u can go wrong w a thx u card or email as long as its genuine and respectful.

interviewed 1/6 with no decision... anyone else in the same boat? not sure why some of the february interviewees are hearing back first. hope this could still mean good news!

interviewed 1/6 with no decision... anyone else in the same boat? not sure why some of the february interviewees are hearing back first. hope this could still mean good news!

Have you called admissions? I interviewed on the 27th and have not heard back yet. However, I called last Friday and they told me a decision would be made this week. If I haven't heard by Thursday or Friday then I am definitely giving them a call.

Good luck!

Have you called admissions? I interviewed on the 27th and have not heard back yet. However, I called last Friday and they told me a decision would be made this week. If I haven't heard by Thursday or Friday then I am definitely giving them a call.

Good luck!

yes, i called last week and was told i should be reviewed this week. ...still seems kinda backwards though, if you ask me

yes, i called last week and was told i should be reviewed this week. ...still seems kinda backwards though, if you ask me

I interviewed today..they said 1 to 3 weeks and that the committee would be meeting on Wednesday...so, I bet you get your answer this week-ish ;) Best of luck!

Interviewed Valentines day, can't wait to hear back. Good luck to everyone who interviewed that day! you all seemed awesome.

It is horribly backwards and an awfully cruel thing to do. Hopefully this week, though...

Our Woodwind Court two bedroom one bath condo will be available for rent this summer. Master bedroom is very large with a huge walk-in closet. Also has a large pantry/laundry room with shelving built in(washer and dryer included). One covered parking spot with storage unit (we have bikes and stuff in it). The rent is $495 a month, with utilities running $100 depending upon season. All electric. View a few pictures :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59564274@N02/with/5451242538

Wonderful, quiet location - only a 3 mile ride to campus. The complex has a pool open May through Labor Day which is a nice amenity. You will also appreciate covered parking if you get a blizzard.

The places really is nice, I have an L-desk in the second bedroom and I still have room for a spare bed. The utility room is seriously huge with tons of shelving.

This is a unit through Benson properties (a part of Heritage House). However, you would need to mention the unit specifically because my wife and I recently decided we need somewhere closer to Truman because she is going back to school, and we only have one car. This was after we signed a 2nd year lease, so the other unrented properties will be presented before they focus on our unit. We were given the OK to list it ourselves though. Feel free to PM me for details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I was accepted Monday..

I've made my final decision! I'll be attending KCOM! I'm Clark in the Facebook Group for those that were accepted also. Feel free to hit me up.

Interviewed Valentines day, can't wait to hear back. Good luck to everyone who interviewed that day! you all seemed awesome.

Good luck to you as well. My fingers are crossed! I really enjoyed the interview and KCOM, more than expected. The waiting game is the worst part. Keep us posted if you hear anything and I'll do the same. Do you know if they email or send a letter for waitlist/denial?

Okay, I was accepted Monday..

I've made my final decision! I'll be attending KCOM! I'm Clark in the Facebook Group for those that were accepted also. Feel free to hit me up.

CONGRATS on your acceptance! How long was it from the time you interviewed till your call?

I'm waiting to hear back too, it's excruciating!!! :bang:

I am hoping the wait will be well worth it!!!:xf:

From what I understand KCOM does acceptances by phone and everything else by regular mail...

Additionally, they are suppose to make their decisions between 1-3 weeks from your interview.

Best of luck to everyone and hope to see you in August!!! :rofl:

anybody else interviewing tomorrow staying at days inn?

Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? It has to be getting close to full. I know there is a bit of turnover at the end of the cycle. What info do we have?

A) yes they call EVERYONE from my understanding... the same admissions faculty member you interviewed with.

B) I doubt there is much turnover, given the $1000 and the 2 week deposit deadline. Sure there will always be some but I can only imagine this is why they have both the Money and Time deadline. (most D.O.s)

C)...as for the class, maybe I can ask, but from the official Facebook group we only have 66 members right now. (includes admissions/upper classmen)

Good Luck to all of you! I'm so excited...i was having a panic attack about what school to attend. Then I decided to stop dream-time with NYC/Vegas/San Fran and realized that the perfect fit was AT Still! I couldn't express to you how at peace I am with the decision - something I couldn't have imagined the last month!

If you get or have been accepted, please join the Facebook group (KCOM Class 2015)

A) yes they call EVERYONE from my understanding... the same admissions faculty member you interviewed with.

B) I doubt there is much turnover, given the $1000 and the 2 week deposit deadline. Sure there will always be some but I can only imagine this is why they have both the Money and Time deadline. (most D.O.s)

C)...as for the class, maybe I can ask, but from the official Facebook group we only have 66 members right now. (includes admissions/upper classmen)

Good Luck to all of you! I'm so excited...i was having a panic attack about what school to attend. Then I decided to stop dream-time with NYC/Vegas/San Fran and realized that the perfect fit was AT Still! I couldn't express to you how at peace I am with the decision - something I couldn't have imagined the last month!

If you get or have been accepted, please join the Facebook group (KCOM Class 2015)

I don't know what they release in terms of how full a class is, but I do know there is actually A LOT of turnover. Some MD schools don't announce acceptance until March. At that time, those people who were hoping to go there could give up their seats at KCOM and that would all open up. Some people pay the deposits to make sure they have a seat somewhere, but forfeit those deposits when they have a seat elsewhere. Also, I don't know when the next deposit deadline is, but other seats will open up then as people change their minds, choose other schools, etc.

I know some people in my class that did not find out about their acceptance until June or so due to turnover on the waitlist, even past all of these deadlines.

Also, as an administrator of the Facebook group, we invite people, but I do not believe they have all accepted the invitation.

I don't know what they release in terms of how full a class is, but I do know there is actually A LOT of turnover. Some MD schools don't announce acceptance until March. At that time, those people who were hoping to go there could give up their seats at KCOM and that would all open up. Some people pay the deposits to make sure they have a seat somewhere, but forfeit those deposits when they have a seat elsewhere. Also, I don't know when the next deposit deadline is, but other seats will open up then as people change their minds, choose other schools, etc.

I know some people in my class that did not find out about their acceptance until June or so due to turnover on the waitlist, even past all of these deadlines.

Also, as an administrator of the Facebook group, we invite people, but I do not believe they have all accepted the invitation.

Thanks for the info!

I called last week and they said to call this week. I called yesterday and they said to call today. I called today and they said to call next week. So much for hearing back in "one to three weeks".

Well, like I told another guy that interviewed in my group - it's better that you haven't heard bad news yet... so stay hopeful if you have been waiting!

interviewed a little over 2 weeks ago...still nothing...

I interviewed on 1/20 with kisspeptin and almaedr, yet i haven't heard back. I have called the admission's counselor with whom i interviewed with but still no word. Either they haven't had the chance to review the file yet or they have reviewed it, but aren't willing to release their decision just yet. Chances are the later is mostly like correct since a committee usually reviews ~ 40 files in one meeting and Almaedr received her acceptance. Either way I am hoping I still get an acceptance. Its been almost a month since I interviewed, so guys have some patients because it seems like they are a bit behind.

I keep checking this thread for updates but there doesn't seem to be much action in the world of acceptances/waitlists/denials. The last week feels like it's been a month.....can't wait for updates!

i interviewed 02/18/11 and they said it takes 2-4 weeks to hear back

i interviewed 02/18/11 and they said it takes 2-4 weeks to hear back

Hey Croc, what did you think about KCOM? I was there 2/14 and they told us 1-3 weeks. Things must just be going slow. Are you accepted elsewhere?

Hey Guys, I interviewed on 2/4 and got a response on 2/11 that I was accepted! Unfortunately though I am giving up my spot because I got accepted into LECOM-Erie which is a closer school to me. I am still hoping to get into CCOM though.

Anyway, Good luck to you all and I hope my spot goes to someone who really deserves it! :luck:

Hey Croc, what did you think about KCOM? I was there 2/14 and they told us 1-3 weeks. Things must just be going slow. Are you accepted elsewhere?

Hello, yes im accepted at PNWU and Im waitlisted at Touro Nevada, and alternate listed at ATSU SOMA, still waiting on Western Comp in Oregon, and Wright state in Ohio what about you?

If you're looking for a place to live, our place will be available June 1. It's ~1,300 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, a laundry room / office room w/washer and dryer, dishwasher, big fenced backyard, landlord pays for law mowing and snowblowing. Two stories, with additional crawl space under the apartment for plenty of storage, one car garage. $650/month. PM me if you want to know more.

I'm assuming from what I've been hearing that ATSU-KCOM is behind on their notifications to some, but with good reason...

Think about it, they accept those that they realllly want relatively soon after the interview. Others that they believe won't fit into their organization are given swift notice of not being accepted as well...

For everyone else that's in limbo :poke: they are pushing their decisions back on your application to see how many of the 1st round picks accepted spots. Then, based on that they will send out more acceptances... It's like a wait list b4 the actual wait list...

My opinion is that if you haven't heard anything back yet, don't panic, you're still in very good shape. There is a lot of turn over at almost every D.O. school and every M.D. school too for that matter. :rofl:

What I wouldn't do is call them more than once, if at all. Give them time (even if you haven't heard back in the time frame they originally stated). This stuff can take a long time and ATSU does not make rushed decisions.

If you feel you must contact them I'd advice to contact one of the people you interviewed with via email and put together a mini "letter of Interest" or "letter of Intent". Express your continued interest in their program and list any updates you've had since the interview...

:xf:Good Luck to everyone playing the waiting game:xf: and realize that the wait may continue through July and into August...However most people will know by the end of May where they are ultimately going (students can only hold one acceptance after May 15th and must notify all schools they've accepted at of their decision. If they do not follow these guidelines they risk losing all acceptances, yet I've never heard of that actually happening).
I know the wait is excruciating.... :boom:Hang in there.... And don't forget to hurry up and Wait!!!

Last edited:
To echo DrTnt, hang in there and don't worry if it's been four weeks and still nothing.

For what it's worth, KCOM hasn't really been in too much contact with us excepted persons either. Besides the welcome packet, very little contact. I see that as them (Administration, selection comittees, and admissions) being too busy trying to get the class all filled up and working hard to process all the interiviews. Maybe this is glass half-full talk, but I wouldn't worry. Just relax, because next fall you will be going to med school :D.

Enjoy the last free summer of your life until you retire or die.

That was kinda glass half-empty;).

-MB

As much as the waiting sucks, that isn't the biggest issue. It is being accepted to other schools and having a deadline to put in the down payment. The last thing I want is to wait too long and miss out on those schools and then not be accepted to KCOM.

As much as the waiting sucks, that isn't the biggest issue. It is being accepted to other schools and having a deadline to put in the down payment. The last thing I want is to wait too long and miss out on those schools and then not be accepted to KCOM.

MusicMan-

Put in the down payment and the problem is solved.

The way I see it, losing a deposit is better than losing a seat in medical school if you do not already have one secured. :nod::nod::nod:

The deposit is a small price to pay to secure your future.... Very small in the bigger picture.... I understand you don't want to throw money away but at least it's going toward a medical school...

MusicMan-

Put in the down payment and the problem is solved.

The way I see it, losing a deposit is better than losing a seat in medical school if you do not already have one secured. :nod::nod::nod:

The deposit is a small price to pay to secure your future.... Very small in the bigger picture.... I understand you don't want to throw money away but at least it's going toward a medical school...

:thumbup:

Interviewed 2/18. Received a letter dated 2/24 with a selection as an alternate. I'm interpreting this as good news . . still hopeful :).

Interviewed today 2/28... they said 2-4 weeks to hear from them. Also they stated that the class was pretty full, and that people move off the waiting list frequently. Had some tough interviews... fingers are now crossed, let the waiting resume. :xf:

I was interviewed on 1/20. I finally got a call today from Donna informing me of my acceptance. I am really excited!!!

I was interviewed on 1/20. I finally got a call today from Donna informing me of my acceptance. I am really excited!!!

Congratulations!!! I have to admit when I saw this post my heart skipped a beat...I thought it said you interviewed on 2/20 and since I interviewed 2/14, I was like...what the H!!..haha...back to having patience...;)

Congratulations!!! I have to admit when I saw this post my heart skipped a beat...I thought it said you interviewed on 2/20 and since I interviewed 2/14, I was like...what the H!!..haha...back to having patience...;)

I did the same thing. Looks like the Valentines Day crew is still waiting for feedback :cool: I think we are next in the line up. Congrats to those that just found out about acceptances :thumbup:

Hey guys, I interviewed on 1/21 and just got the call from Donna Sparks yesterday morning telling me I I will be receiving my acceptance package. Needless to say, I waited longer than 1-3 weeks to hear back, even though they estimated I would hear back within that range. Good luck everyone! I'm still waiting to hear from Southern Illinois and I'm waitlisted at CCOM. I really liked KCOM and I felt really comfortable there. The students seem very laid back. My brother and sister-in-law are alumni and the loved their time in Kirksville. I have been in Chicago for 5 years, so I think the transition to Kirksville will be a huge change.

Accepted :)
That was the best wake up call ever on monday while on spring break!

I interviewed on 1/21 and just received an email earlier today saying that I was accepted pending a spot opens up.

Just got an email from Kirksville and I've been Accepted!!!! :welcome:

However, it was an "acceptance pending seat availability"

Basically, the KCOM class of 2015 is currently full... this will definitely change and those with acceptance pending seat availability will then get their seat. Additionally, with the acceptance pending seat availability they guarantee you a seat for 2012 if one doesn't open for 2011.

They stated in the email that 2 years ago everyone offered an acceptance pending seat availability ended up getting a seat for the same year. Last year, not everyone got a seat the same year....

They originally told me they'd let me know 1-3 weeks after my interview but it was just over 3 weeks. I called the admissions woman I interviewed with and she has been out of town for the past week (so anyone who interviewed with Andrea, this might explain some of the longer wait than expected).

Additionally, I emailed the D.O. I interviewed with just a couple days ago and reiterated my strong desire to attend A.T. Still and added a couple other updates etc.

Hope this helps those who are still waiting.... :poke:

****Class of 2015 (or 2016)****

:smuggrin: :soexcited::highfive::clap::lock::banana::rofl:

Congrats to those who have been accepted! So since all the spots are taken up are we to expect rejections if we interviewed recently :( ? Darn...