2023-2024 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 ATSU-KCOM Secondary Essay Prompts ( Hey, no ghost writers, AI or Chat GPT!)
(Also, Interviews at this school are in-person)

1) What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2) What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current applicant with no shadowing experience from a DO physician, but extensive allopathic experience. My personal physician is an osteopathic physician and I have plans to shadow her over the summer. I spoke to an administrator in the admissions office and they recommended that I hold off on submitting supplemental until I have those shadowing hours and I retake my MCAT (August 4th). Does anyone think its best to wait, or should I submit supplemental now and update them with the new MCAT score and shadowing experience once completed?

I've talked to the admissions committee last cycle, and held off on applying based on their recommendation - I listened to them, ymmv,

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question: Does AT Still pre screen secondaries or do all candidates get them?

Reactions: 1 user
Random question: Does AT Still pre screen secondaries or do all candidates get them?
It says all applicants who meet their 2.80 GPA requirement will get a secondary but I’m not sure if there are hidden requirements.

Current applicant with no shadowing experience from a DO physician, but extensive allopathic experience. My personal physician is an osteopathic physician and I have plans to shadow her over the summer. I spoke to an administrator in the admissions office and they recommended that I hold off on submitting supplemental until I have those shadowing hours and I retake my MCAT (August 4th). Does anyone think it’s best to wait, or should I submit supplemental now and update them with the new MCAT score and shadowing experience once completed?
Not too sure about your case. If you have allopathic shadowing and a LOR from them, I don’t see what’s the point of waiting until August-September to submit just for a DO. Also, it’ll be September when you get your new MCAT score. If your MCAT is above a >502, I don’t see why you should hold off on submitting either.

Secondary invitation! OOS 6/10 and submitted

Last edited:
Did yall submit the same response to the first secondary question for both kcom and soma?

Do your "letters of recommendation" and "test scores" on the application status checklist say incomplete after submitting your secondaries?

Do your "letters of recommendation" and "test scores" on the application status checklist say incomplete after submitting your secondaries?
I submitted my secondary over a month ago, but no. They filled in as soon as they had my test scores and LORs, but as long as you sent AACOMAS your MCAT and your LORs have been submitted, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Maybe check again in a couple days? Maybe they have to manually check everything off

Yes mine does, I presume it'll update once they review the secondary submission

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone share the prompts?
1) What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2) What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Hi all, I'm an OMS-3. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about KCOM, Kirksville, or HPSP. Wishing you all the best of luck this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II received this morning. Complete 7/5/23. I only see in-person interview spots available, does anyone know if they will be offering virtual interview options this cycle?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just now seeing on the Choose DO explorer that only in-person interviews are offered :/

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just now seeing on the Choose DO explorer that only in-person interviews are offered :/
That’s unfortunate. What are some of the interview dates available for you? Flights seem very expensive as of now.

The only dates I'm seeing are the 1st and 2nd weeks in October. A round-trip flight for me going to the KC airport (3 hours from campus) would be between like $300-700 depending on the significance of the layovers lol. There's a specific airline that flies from Chicago directly to Kirksville but that's way out of the way for me

The only dates I'm seeing are the 1st and 2nd weeks in October. A round-trip flight for me going to the KC airport (3 hours from campus) would be between like $300-700 depending on the significance of the layovers lol. There's a specific airline that flies from Chicago directly to Kirksville but that's way out of the way for me
I know the St. Louis airport has $30 flights to Kirksville, so if you got a flight to STL as a layover you might be able to get it a little cheaper

Did anyone else recieve this? Does this mean I am pretty much guaranteed an interview if I obtain shadowing hours?

Attachments

• IMG_9551.jpeg
    IMG_9551.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 315
My friend got that message last cycle - she’s going there now!!

II (OOS) just now after I got an email asking to elaborate if I had worked with any DOs while scribing!!!!
Stats: 3.5, 517

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got a pre-II rejection…wasn’t expecting it this early. Complete 6/9

• Care
  • Sad
Did anyone else recieve this? Does this mean I am pretty much guaranteed an interview if I obtain shadowing hours?
Hi! I just got this email too. I’m working on getting my hours in now. I hope you get the interview!

Hi! I just got this email too. I’m working on getting my hours in now. I hope you get the interview!
I did get the II! I pretty much just emailed back with planned dates and times for shadowing and they sent a II! Haven’t shadowed yet but will be before the interview

OOS II received mid july :)

How long did it take for you to receive a complete notification after submitting the secondary?