This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDmiracle

Mmmmm Prozac!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad if, when changing your avatar and scrolling through the list of available ones you can assign SDN member names to a vast majority of them? I am spending way to much time here!!!!!

Can't............Look..............Away!

Members don't see this ad.

What I hate is when someone new has the same avatar as a long time poster and I get confused about whose post I'm reading! The pics seem to stick in my head as much as the names sometimes.

How can I get an avatar that isn't from the SDN choices? (so my rose can be a rose and not a tulip! haha)

Theresa

I agree. If we have been here for a long time then our avatars should be retired and belong to us forever.

:cool: :cool: :D :D :D All in favor speak up for the protection of our avatars....

Ok, I agree with MDmiracle, he is spending to much time here. Actually so am I. I guess I should go to my Biochem class now and quit reading posts.

Hey, it keeps us from checking our email acounts..... weeeellll, actually I have the yahoo account open as well. Ok I am a hopless cause. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone better stay away from my litte rodent friend!!!!! Arrrg!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Agreed... it would be cool if people couldn't use avatars that are already in use.

- Quid :cool:

mines somewhat hard to find so im not too worried ;)

I've had to change mine, because someone else started using my old one.

This is so true!!!!

I was reading some post with thackl's avatar on it a couple days ago and got all pissed of and disconcerted before I realized it wasn't thackl at all!

How can I get an avatar that isn't from the SDN choices?

i think you have to have a certain amount of posts first (like 50, or something). then you go into 'edit options' and click the 'browse' button to upload an avatar. the only problem i've had is that the 50x50 pixel limit is WAY smaller than any of the pictures i wanted to use. is there a way to change that as far as picture properties goes? is there a good place to find avatars? am i completely ******ed?

Maybe you can use photoshop or a program like it and repixelate the image. Might be too small. .. . I don't know I haven't even tried yet since I haven't made it to 50 posts yet. I guess I just enjoy reading.

Use google's image search, and use the "advanced search" option to specify the image size. Got my cute little hamster buddy that way!!

- Quid ;)

thanks for the advice, quid. although 99% of those picture were too cartoony, there were a few keepers.

Originally posted by quideam
Use google's image search, and use the "advanced search" option to specify the image size. Got my cute little hamster buddy that way!!

- Quid ;)

Hey thanks, I got my rose! ;)

Theresa

Ok am I blind or blocked or something. The yellow rose and the hamster are not even showing up on my computer. All that is below your names is the words.

Where are the avaters? Some show up and some don't. What is up with this

Members don't see this ad :)
While we're on the subject, how can you customize the words below your user name? I can't find the option anywhere on the user CP, and I'm pretty tired of "senior member."

I also do not see the hamster or rose. Does everyone besides Amy and I see this?

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
While we're on the subject, how can you customize the words below your user name? I can't find the option anywhere on the user CP, and I'm pretty tired of "senior member."

It's on your control panel, under 'edit profile', it's your 'custom user text.' :cool:

T

I still don't see it...maybe it doesn't show up until you've been a member for more than a few weeks. Guess I just have to wait and see. :)

It doesn't have to do with length you are here, because I have been here for years. They can't get rid of me:laugh: :laugh:

The problem is we can find where we put avaters on our account, BUT we can't see alot of the ones on people's posts. We should be able to see their avaters under their names, but only half show up.

Originally posted by TheresaW
What I hate is when someone new has the same avatar as a long time poster and I get confused about whose post I'm reading! The pics seem to stick in my head as much as the names sometimes.

How can I get an avatar that isn't from the SDN choices? (so my rose can be a rose and not a tulip! haha)

Theresa

I orriginally chose my avatar because it was good ol uncle sam, and I want to be a military doctor. But I know it previously belonged to someone else. Anyway I have renounced my thieving ways and replaced it with a picture of my dog. Isn't she cute?

Thanks for the tip, quideam!

Changing mine in honor of Halloween for a few weeks, then it's back to my kitty...

I resized my image so it would fit, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the original size. I hope people can still tell who it is (or see it at all, as the case may be).

Originally posted by Mistress S
I resized my image so it would fit, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the original size. I hope people can still tell who it is (or see it at all, as the case may be).

of course. that's bp

Originally posted by Mistress S

Weird I see nothing except the words "Don't mess with the S" Ok can someone help us out on why some of us can see others avaters? Does it have to do with internet explorer? I have a brand new computer so it has the latest programs????????????

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
I still don't see it...maybe it doesn't show up until you've been a member for more than a few weeks. Guess I just have to wait and see. :)

You have to have been a member for a month and have at least 50 posts. Then it will show up in your user cp.

Originally posted by Amy B
Weird I see nothing except the words "Don't mess with the S" Ok can someone help us out on why some of us can see others avaters? Does it have to do with internet explorer? I have a brand new computer so it has the latest programs????????????

I don't know what the problem is.

Originally posted by MDmiracle
Is it bad if, when changing your avatar and scrolling through the list of available ones you can assign SDN member names to a vast majority of them? I am spending way to much time here!!!!!

Can't............Look..............Away!

I'm tempted to change mine. I've had the same one since day 1.

Originally posted by Spacekat
This is so true!!!!

I was reading some post with thackl's avatar on it a couple days ago and got all pissed of and disconcerted before I realized it wasn't thackl at all!

I've thought about changing mine for a while. I've always liked the poker dogs (even have personal checks with them :D ).

Sorry to have almost p'ed you off :(

No worries, brother. On the contrary, I'm relieved to realize that I don't have piss-poor judgement when it comes to figuring out who has an opinion worth listening to. Thanks for being one of those people!

Besides, that poker dog IS definitely yours. There's a certain jauntiness about him that fits you.

I've always liked them, too.

Originally posted by Amy B
Ok am I blind or blocked or something. The yellow rose and the hamster are not even showing up on my computer. All that is below your names is the words.

Where are the avaters? Some show up and some don't. What is up with this

If you go in "user cp" under "edit option" there is a selection that says, "show user's avatar in their posts". It is a yes/no selection, see if yours is set to no. That might be your problem.

Originally posted by rgporter
Anyway I have renounced my thieving ways and replaced it with a picture of my dog. Isn't she cute?

She is cute! Sorry if I hurt feelings, it was meant in fun! :oops:

Theresa

well i don't have anything useful to add but i need to get to 50 posts....sooo...

Originally posted by Spacekat
No worries, brother. On the contrary, I'm relieved to realize that I don't have piss-poor judgement when it comes to figuring out who has an opinion worth listening to. Thanks for being one of those people!

Besides, that poker dog IS definitely yours. There's a certain jauntiness about him that fits you.

I've always liked them, too.

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me....... on the internet.... sniff:love:

Thanks for the kindness.

i'm a newbie... so hm... yeah, i'm doubting my avatar will work, but i'm giving it a shot

Is that Dr. Romano? Yuck!

(j/k :p )

Originally posted by DrMom
I'm tempted to change mine. I've had the same one since day 1.

NOOOOOO!!!! :eek: DrMom, you won't be the same w/o your avatar!!! :eek:

i love dr. romano, he's hilarious

he does have a heart behind his obnoxious exterior