AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Does anyone know if they have sent out all their interview invites for US students yet? I have not heard a peep since the beginning of December when they said that they had received my application. Just wondering if anyone is still in limbo with me.
 
Does anyone know if they have sent out all their interview invites for US students yet? I have not heard a peep since the beginning of December when they said that they had received my application. Just wondering if anyone is still in limbo with me.

My interview last year wasn't until the beginning of March, so there's still time. You can check last year's interview invite thread to see when people started/stopped hearing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if they have sent out all their interview invites for US students yet? I have not heard a peep since the beginning of December when they said that they had received my application. Just wondering if anyone is still in limbo with me.

If you can find someone who got an invite, then ask them what the deadline is for accepting the interview invite.. presumably they'll send out some more invites around that deadline when they find out how many ppl declined their invites due to travel costs and whatnot
 
Hello everyone! I am brand new to SDN and this is my first time applying to AVC 😀 I am a NS applicant and currently in my 4th year at Dalhousie. I can't believe interview invites are just around the corner, goodluck to everyone! :xf:
 
Hello everyone! I am brand new to SDN and this is my first time applying to AVC 😀 I am a NS applicant and currently in my 4th year at Dalhousie. I can't believe interview invites are just around the corner, goodluck to everyone! :xf:

Another Dal student! I'll be walking with you in the ceremony in May. I'm using vet school credits to finish my BSc. 🙂 Hope you get an interview!
 
Hello everyone! I am brand new to SDN and this is my first time applying to AVC 😀 I am a NS applicant and currently in my 4th year at Dalhousie. I can't believe interview invites are just around the corner, goodluck to everyone! :xf:

Welcome and good luck :luck:
 
I am not looking forward to the break.
Break = studying chemistry and going home because of the transit strike. Home is quite boring. My friends will all be in Halifax and I will have to start paying out the butt to use the gym there since I already used 2/3 visits this month because of the stupid strike.
😡

I have two midterms on Wednesday! Gah! Who does that?!
People have started asking me about vet school.
I am stressed. I will be happy when the semester is over. 🙂
 
I am not looking forward to the break.
Break = studying chemistry and going home because of the transit strike. Home is quite boring. My friends will all be in Halifax and I will have to start paying out the butt to use the gym there since I already used 2/3 visits this month because of the stupid strike.
😡

I have two midterms on Wednesday! Gah! Who does that?!
People have started asking me about vet school.
I am stressed. I will be happy when the semester is over. 🙂

I have so much school work to do over the break + paying work + volunteering that it is not even go to be much of a break. At least I don't physically have to go to class. Sleeping in ftw 👍

I have this new law where the next person who asks me whether I've been accepted or not yet gets punched in the face. No casualties so far.
 
Does anyone have any suggestions on where/when to look for jobs?
I want to gain residency in PEI or NB. So far, the universities have not posted any jobs that I qualify for.
For the heck of it, I went to the University of Manitoba website and they already have postings up for TAs and Research Technicians for the summer at least.

The job bank does not have anything so far.
Anyone know where else I can start looking?

I have a biology degree with honours. I have experience in parasitology and molecular biology techniques.
 
I'm emotionally prepared for another rejection as well. Jack called me last week to notify me that my average is 1.5% less than what I expected due to an 87% I can't use because it wasn't taken during a full course load and a lower Genetics mark that I have to use because I did worse on the Genetics course I re-took because my original was expired. I suck! My average now: 80.3%, apparently right at the rejection/interview bubble.
 
Does anyone have any suggestions on where/when to look for jobs?
The job bank does not have anything so far.
Anyone know where else I can start looking?

Try hospitals, especially the research departments. Also, if you want to work with animals keep an eye out for psych/neuroscience research postings. I don't know about NB or PEI but Dal's psych/neuro department does a lot of work with rodents, dogs, and cats. Your bio degree would be fine.

I'm emotionally prepared for another rejection as well. Jack called me last week to notify me that my average is 1.5% less than what I expected due to an 87% I can't use because it wasn't taken during a full course load and a lower Genetics mark that I have to use because I did worse on the Genetics course I re-took because my original was expired. I suck! My average now: 80.3%, apparently right at the rejection/interview bubble.

You do not suck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm emotionally prepared for another rejection as well. Jack called me last week to notify me that my average is 1.5% less than what I expected due to an 87% I can't use because it wasn't taken during a full course load and a lower Genetics mark that I have to use because I did worse on the Genetics course I re-took because my original was expired. I suck! My average now: 80.3%, apparently right at the rejection/interview bubble.

So sorry to hear Lab Rat. I am in a similar boat, so I feel your pain. I have an 80.8% now, and I am coming from am much more competitive province from you. You do not suck at all. It is just the nature of the beast. Unless we win the lottery and are able to go to the Caribbean, we just have to keep at it and do the best we can do.

Is anyone planning on attending the Science Atlantic Biology/Env Science/Aquaculture conference in Sackville, NB the weekend of March 2nd - 4th? It will be my 4th time attending and the only time I will get to meet up with some of my friends from undergrad. I am quite excited.

Thank you Ky. I will keep an eye out!
 
Thanks guys!

I sure wish that a stupid number didn't matter so much when it comes to an admissions committee deciding whether or not you'd be an awesome vet. I wish they still did reference letters.
 
They used to do references?
(Maybe it will prevent people who do not know how to petsit from getting in 😛)

I kind of wish they look at the fact that I have taken more relevant courses than the people who get in after 2 years. I have taken Anatomy, Physiology, Parasitology, Developmental Biology, Animal Behaviour, Environmental Microbiology, Med and Vet Entomology and Neurobiology. I should have taken "easy" courses for my electives and gotten 90s in them. Hindsight is always 50/50.

I had a dream last night I got to the interview stage. I knew both of the interviewers. The third one was missing and the second one left. The room was full of screaming kids playing basketball. I glanced at the interviewer's chart. There were a few check marks on there, but mostly notes. I was convinced those notes were about how horrible I was at the interview. :laugh:.
 
I think reference letters or at least a personal statement are good ideas, and they should be looked at before interviews are granted. I get that deciding interviews using just GPA and GRE is probably easiest for admissions but I think including ref letters or a PS would give a better idea of who is "worthy" of an interview.
 
I had a dream last night I got to the interview stage. I knew both of the interviewers. The third one was missing and the second one left. The room was full of screaming kids playing basketball. I glanced at the interviewer's chart. There were a few check marks on there, but mostly notes. I was convinced those notes were about how horrible I was at the interview. :laugh:.

At least you know it can't be as bad as this. And I'm sure that in real life they'll just be writing notes about how awesome you are. Good luck!
 
I have already been told that I should not stress about the interview.
I just have to get to that stage.
Strange why I dreamed it though. Lately I have been having nightmares about getting attacked by insects.
 
I was just there this morning and one of the vets that was there called Dr. Singh at home and then told us that for those that were supposed to interview today, tomorrow is going to be an exact carbon copy, so our tour will be at 11 and our interviews will be at the same time they were supposed to be today
 
I have a random question!
I found two job postings tonight that I qualify for: one in PEI and one in NB.
I've never applied for a job that was not fast food or a student position.
Both jobs say they would like someone ASAP.
I am not done school until April 19th. I still have to move.
Is it worth applying?
 
I have a random question!
I found two job postings tonight that I qualify for: one in PEI and one in NB.
I've never applied for a job that was not fast food or a student position.
Both jobs say they would like someone ASAP.
I am not done school until April 19th. I still have to move.
Is it worth applying?

Yes! Put your available start date in your cover letter and explain that you are in school until then. It never hurts to apply.
 
One of them is animal related, the other is lab-based doing DNA extraction and PCR (which I have experience in!!). I am actually quite tickled that I FOUND something.

I'm going to get some help with my cover letter. I have not written a cover letter for a place that was not fast food or for volunteering.

Also... when it says resume... do I submit the 2-page resume (and tweak the experiences that apply to the position) or my 8-page CV (lists all of my academic experience and volunteer work)?
 
One of them is animal related, the other is lab-based doing DNA extraction and PCR (which I have experience in!!). I am actually quite tickled that I FOUND something.

I'm going to get some help with my cover letter. I have not written a cover letter for a place that was not fast food or for volunteering.

Also... when it says resume... do I submit the 2-page resume (and tweak the experiences that apply to the position) or my 8-page CV (lists all of my academic experience and volunteer work)?

Maybe contact them to see which they prefer. If they don't say, I would do the 2-page. Shorter and less to read.
 
Hello out there!

I'm new to SDN (though I've been a long time lurker) and have finally decided to post and ask some questions because everyone seems so helpful and supportive. I am not an AVC c/o 2016 hopeful but I am an eventual AVC hopeful. I am just starting my pre-reqs and figured this thread would be the best spot to get some answers rather than starting a new one.
Okay, so here it goes..
I will be applying to AVC as a resident of Newfoundland. I am feeling very intimidated because I know there are only about 2 seats for Newfoudland residents..2 SEATS!!!??!!! That makes me SO nervous. With that being said, I am seeking advice from anyone who has applied to AVC from Newfoundland. What were your stats? (GPA, GRE scores, experience, etc.) Any advice from anyone in general would be helpful and since I wasn't the greatest student in high school (graduated with about a 73 average) I was wondering if vet schools really take your highschool marks into consideration after all of your pre requisites?
Sorry if this post is totally off topic and irrelevant to the current conversation but I was just hoping I'd get more response here instead of starting a thread for it since it seems most of you have been through the app process and know/may know someone who knows a fair bit about AVC's expectations!
Thank you and best wishes fellow SDNers!!
 
Hello out there!

I'm new to SDN (though I've been a long time lurker) and have finally decided to post and ask some questions because everyone seems so helpful and supportive. I am not an AVC c/o 2016 hopeful but I am an eventual AVC hopeful. I am just starting my pre-reqs and figured this thread would be the best spot to get some answers rather than starting a new one.
Okay, so here it goes..
I will be applying to AVC as a resident of Newfoundland. I am feeling very intimidated because I know there are only about 2 seats for Newfoudland residents..2 SEATS!!!??!!! That makes me SO nervous. With that being said, I am seeking advice from anyone who has applied to AVC from Newfoundland. What were your stats? (GPA, GRE scores, experience, etc.) Any advice from anyone in general would be helpful and since I wasn't the greatest student in high school (graduated with about a 73 average) I was wondering if vet schools really take your highschool marks into consideration after all of your pre requisites?
Sorry if this post is totally off topic and irrelevant to the current conversation but I was just hoping I'd get more response here instead of starting a thread for it since it seems most of you have been through the app process and know/may know someone who knows a fair bit about AVC's expectations!
Thank you and best wishes fellow SDNers!!

There's 3 seats, and no they'll never look at your high school marks.
You'll need an over 80 university pre-req average though to be competitive at all.. And realistically, you'll wanna aim for 83-85 average in the 20 pre-reqs. For the GRE, generally you don't need to do amazing in it, but it would depend on your average grade and whether you need to gain ground that was lost by a low average..

I had a lower average in high school, but it was because i didn't try in the least, and skipped classes.. And i was able to change that completely over the course of a couple years in university.. If your reason was the same for doing average in high school, then i wouldn't worry and just work as hard as possible in every course in university
 
One of them is animal related, the other is lab-based doing DNA extraction and PCR (which I have experience in!!). I am actually quite tickled that I FOUND something.

I'm going to get some help with my cover letter. I have not written a cover letter for a place that was not fast food or for volunteering.

Also... when it says resume... do I submit the 2-page resume (and tweak the experiences that apply to the position) or my 8-page CV (lists all of my academic experience and volunteer work)?

Two page resume, see if you can get it down to one page by tweaking what you've included to be relevant to the position you're applying for.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's 3 seats, and no they'll never look at your high school marks.
You'll need an over 80 university pre-req average though to be competitive at all.. And realistically, you'll wanna aim for 83-85 average in the 20 pre-reqs. For the GRE, generally you don't need to do amazing in it, but it would depend on your average grade and whether you need to gain ground that was lost by a low average..

I had a lower average in high school, but it was because i didn't try in the least, and skipped classes.. And i was able to change that completely over the course of a couple years in university.. If your reason was the same for doing average in high school, then i wouldn't worry and just work as hard as possible in every course in university
Thank you for the advice and it's definitely a little less nerve-racking knowing that there are 3 seats as opposed to 2.
And yeah that was totally me in highschool, didn't lift a finger and of course now I wish I had tried more but what can you do! Thanks so much for the info!
 
any internationals hear anything yet? today was the day the first acceptances went out last year....
 
I know of someone that received their rejection already. So apparently, notices have gone out. I'm currently working in NB with my mailbox in NS. What torture! Good luck everyone!
 
They are definitely out. My sister-in-law got her rejection today. On a positive note: I was accepted into the B.Ed program today.
 
kesiurgfjhabefy my letter JUST arrived, I GOT AN INTERVIEW!! 😀😀 May 31st! I had myself mentally prepared to wait another week, good luck to everyone!! :luck::xf:
 
I'm at work and have a biochem lab this afternoon; I can't wait until 6pm to check! I'm so impatient!!!

ETA: Well played WW game, Trematode. Well played.
 
I can't concentrate on the organic chem II course that I am doing mediocre in. I know what the letter says. I am just really anxious to rip it up and throw it in the paper recycling like I did with the last one.

Here is some advice:
If you have bad grades in a class, don't take an upper level course or a different course to replace your mark.

Right now, I have 80s in my physics labs and assignments. Flunked the midterm.
I have 98% in my organic chemistry lab, 55% on the assignments/quizzes and probably did mediocre on the midterm due to gerbil emergency.

And... somehow, I have 100% so far on my group project (worth 50% of our grade) in my 4000 level Environmental Microbiology class. 😕. And I haven't been putting THAT much effort into it because I am too busy trying to get assignments and labs done for my other two courses.

You can tell where my interests lie. Give me a lecture related to biology and it would take me half the amount of time to absorb it than if you were to give me a math/physics/chem lecture to read (unless the physics/math/chem is put into a biological context like sodium/potassium pumps or something 😀)

I am starting to burn out from school. I am tired of putting effort into courses that I need to do well in and getting nothing back in return. I am actually looking forward to taking a year off, and working... and only worrying about studying for the GRE. If any of you are going to PEI for vet school and want a quiet, clean person, who takes great care of her gerbils, to share rent with, I am your girl! I want to gain residency... even if it means working at a call center!

The WW game was fun.
 
I am doing my best not to get too discouraged. I can only do the best that I can do. So what if organic chem is kicking my butt this year? Coquette had the same hatred towards organic and she's well on her way to becoming a vet.
 
I am starting to burn out from school. I am tired of putting effort into courses that I need to do well in and getting nothing back in return. I am actually looking forward to taking a year off, and working... and only worrying about studying for the GRE. If any of you are going to PEI for vet school and want a quiet, clean person, who takes great care of her gerbils, to share rent with, I am your girl! I want to gain residency... even if it means working at a call center!

The WW game was fun.

If I get an interview and get in, you can live with me. As long as you don't mind 2 cats, a hamster, a betta and probably a dog. We could open up our own petting zoo 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get an interview and get in, you can live with me. As long as you don't mind 2 cats, a hamster, a betta and probably a dog. We could open up our own petting zoo 🙂

I will help you take care of them! 😀
(I have always wanted a dog... never had one! It would be good practice for me!)
Also, I am quite experienced with betta care. 😀
 
I will help you take care of them! 😀
(I have always wanted a dog... never had one! It would be good practice for me!)
Also, I am quite experienced with betta care. 😀

I decided a few months ago I was getting a dog by the fall, no matter what. It's been 18 months since I lost my dog to cancer and for me that is too long to go without a dog. Even if I get into school I'm getting that dog. I would adopt an older dog then. I 😍 senior animals.

Is it 6pm yet? I want to check my mail...
 
I was contemplating getting an animal the moment I had a job and was on my own, but I am still a little afraid...

1) With my debt load, would I be able to afford to treat my animal if an emergency were to crop up?
2) What would happen to the animal if I were forced to live at home for a while?
3) What if my job/work schedule is too crazy to properly take care of that animal? (I am more so thinking dogs here because they require regular walking)
4) If I don't drive, how can I get my animal to a vet if there was an emergency? (If I get a job, I plan on taking lessons to get my fulls... but I will not have a car)

Also, since I've never owned a dog before, I have no idea what is involved with training, etc.

I really want one! I am just really scared to take the plunge at this point in my life. Maybe a quiet senior or a little dog would suit my current situation. I don't know. :scared: