AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figured as much, Coquette. Thank you.
I finally got the Application Received email.
Hurray.
:scared:
 
I arrived back from the parasitology meeting today. It was an awesome experience. There were a ton of student talks on things ranging from fish ectoparasites to P. tenuis. One student even dissected over 200 coyotes to figure out what parasites are in them. If anyone has an interest in aquaculture or wildlife, I recommend that they attend. I was able to get some valuable feedback on my research and on vet school applications as well. I met two people who all of you have run into or will run into at some point in your vet school future. I really enjoyed getting to talk to them about vet med and their research. I also met someone who is contemplating vet school in the future (and has stalked this forum before 🙂).

I may butcher this, but the Canadian Association of Zoologists (or something of that sorts) are having a 5 day conference in New Brunswick in May. I was told to look into the details after Christmas. It sounds like an interesting conference to attend.

There was also an awesome moment when I made a comment on somebody's question (Is heartworm in Atlantic Canada? Can the red fox carry it?) I piped up about it and told them that red fox in Newfoundland carry a different type of heartworm from a different genus (Angiostrongylus vasorum) that has been introduced to the region from Europe. I had just done a presentation on canine heartworm for class and presented a summary of a paper on the subject. Little did I know that the author of the paper was sitting right next to me! That was pretty cool.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One student even dissected over 200 coyotes to figure out what parasites are in them.

Is it weird that when I read that my first thought was "Oh wow! That would be awesome!"?

Sounds like it was a great meeting, Trematode. Your hard work is paying off 👍
 
The coyote thing is awesome! I would have loved to cut open coyotes for my thesis. 😛.

Uh guys... one of the animal shelters I have on my application recently went under (you all probably know what I am talking about). I have not volunteered for them over a year but do you think that is going to have an affect on my application? I cannot believe I volunteered for a place that was accused of animal cruelty. Then again, I have volunteered with a vet that made the news for malpractice and the people who volunteered there got into their programs. Perhaps I should not be worried...
 
I wouldn't be too worried about it. That shelter (if it is the one I'm thinking of) was sanctioned when you were there, so I think everything will be cool. I would be more worried if you were the director or a member of the board.
 
So, I finally received my confirmation that my application materials have been received (I was getting nervous).

Has anyone ever written a letter of explanation? I need one to explain why my physics is expired. I know what I want to say but I don't want to sound like an idiot. Basically, I returned to undergrad last year to upgrade and renew my chemistry and biology courses that expired last year but I simply couldn't afford to keep going back to upgrade courses. So, I decided to strengthen the rest of my application while working full time and getting some debt paid off.
 
Has anyone ever written a letter of explanation? I need one to explain why my physics is expired. I know what I want to say but I don't want to sound like an idiot. Basically, I returned to undergrad last year to upgrade and renew my chemistry and biology courses that expired last year but I simply couldn't afford to keep going back to upgrade courses. So, I decided to strengthen the rest of my application while working full time and getting some debt paid off.

I wrote a letter of explanation with my application because the semester that had my genetics course wasn't considered a full courseload. I was just honest about my reasons and I wasn't asked about it at any point in the application or interview.
 
Apparently there was a woman last year who used the explanation section to say she was working full time and thus, could not take a full course load. She got rejected. She applied again with the same explanation and they told her since she did not take a full course load, her courses did not count. 😕. I would be aware of that. Hopefully that does not happen to you.
 
Apparently there was a woman last year who used the explanation section to say she was working full time and thus, could not take a full course load. She got rejected. She applied again with the same explanation and they told her since she did not take a full course load, her courses did not count. 😕. I would be aware of that. Hopefully that does not happen to you.

I would take that with a grain of salt. I was working full-time and taking classes part time, so three of the classes I took as prerequisites were considered at less than full time. I was asked to write a letter to explain why, which I did, and I was never asked about it during the interview, and I was accepted the first time I applied to AVC.
 
I'm not worried about it being accepted or not. My class was taken with a full course load but it's 6.5 years old. I was just wondering what usually goes in such a letter. Quite frankly, I just can't afford to keep going back to school to re-do new courses that are expiring every year. The ones that expired last year, I've already replaced. Physics is the only one that expired this year.
 
So, I received some news today that might work in my favor. My family situation is very complicated (it's a long convoluted story); but basically it has ended up that I live in NS, my dad lives in AB, and my mom recently moved to ON (from AB). My dad has been bugging me to check with the University of Calgary to see if I am eligible to apply. Only Alberta residents can apply, but he thought I would qualify because both my parents were residents (he still is), I was born and have lived the majority of my life in AB, and I have always been in school full-time.

So I checked and admissions said I *might* be eligible. I have to send in the application, if they need further proof they will contact me with what documents are needed.

I think I'll apply but I'm not holding out much hope for UCVM. AVC is my first choice by far, but I guess it couldn't hurt to apply. The only thing I have to lose is the application fee. I don't know why but I'm feeling kind of iffy about it 😕 Maybe because I've had my focus and heart set on AVC and now I feel disloyal :shrug:
 
As much as I'd love for you to come to AVC, if you've got a potential shot at another school, TAKE IT. This application business is such a crapshoot. Stack the odds in your favour as much as possible. If you've potentially got AB residency, is WCVM an option?

I took a look at WCVM's requirements and I could have applied, but their application deadline passed. UCVM took forever to get back to me. I have been trying to get an answer out of them since August, through both emails and phone calls. I wish there was a Jack at every school.

I'm going to throw in an application and see what happens. Only 3 more months until interview invites at AVC are sent out 🙂 It seems so far off but I think the time will fly by (at least that's what I keep telling myself haha)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am now debating whether to pick up a chem course at Dal (so I have the average for CO 2017) or just leave it and upgrade my chemistry courses in 2 years time. By the look of it, unless I make A+s next semester, I am going to have an 82.7-ish because my two 60s in Chemistry are dragging everything else down. Everything else should be in the 80s, except for Stats 2 (75). It is difficult to improve upon 87s. 😛.
 
I am now debating whether to pick up a chem course at Dal (so I have the average for CO 2017) or just leave it and upgrade my chemistry courses in 2 years time. By the look of it, unless I make A+s next semester, I am going to have an 82.7-ish because my two 60s in Chemistry are dragging everything else down. Everything else should be in the 80s, except for Stats 2 (75). It is difficult to improve upon 87s. 😛.

Dal chem classes are pretty tough, not an easy A by any stretch. The neuroscience people in my lab took a lot of chem courses and they struggled. That being said, I think there is a food science chem that is supposed to be easier. Or maybe there is an environmental chem?

82.7-ish is not bad, it could land you an interview. Jack said 82-83 is usually the cut-off for NS, so you are right there. If you feel like you could improve the 60 in the chem course through a course at Dal I say go for it. I'm assuming it is first year chem that expires in 2 years, so if you took this course and didn't do as well as you wanted, couldn't you just retake first year chem when it expires (if needed)?
 
Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II will expire in '12-'13.

This is my spreadsheet, marks according to AVC:

4 sciences: 82, 82, 87, 78 (retaking the 78 next semester)
3 Humanities: 82, 82, 87
2 English: 82, 87
2 Math: 87, 75
5 Electives: 93, 87, 87, 87, 82 (I think I can pull an 87 in a class this semester)
1 Physics: 68 (retaking next semester)
3 Chemistry: 65, 68, 58 (retaking the 58)

My plan was to take either Green Chemistry or Environmental Chemistry to get rid of the 65 in chemistry, but one course was canceled and the other is not being offered this year. I do not have calculus, so I cannot take anything else really.

I figured out that if I get 82s in those three courses I have next semester, I will have an 82.xx as the average. If I do better, I will be set. I thought I was going to do better this semester, but so far I am pulling 80s, which is what I have always pulled. My elective though is looking really good, so that could surprise me.

I thought that 83 is the magic number. So I might be safe. But I am not banking my life on it.

I also have a GRE re-take coming up.
One of my mentors told me not to pick up any courses next semester and just focus on the ones I have. If I do not take another chemistry, I will be going into the CO 2017 applicant pool with an 82.XX and will be forced to retake Gen Chem I and an English course in two years time (but by then, my plan is to be a PEI applicant).

Jack's advice is to take what I love and not worry about chemistry. I love Biology. If you look at my electives, they are ALL biology. Most of them are in the 87 range. If I take more biology courses, my chances of pulling a 90 are pretty slim. I have pulled a lot of 85-89s in courses, but only a single 91 in my undergrad career. I do not want to be all cocky and take a bunch of Biology courses thinking that I will pull 90s. In my program, 10 students received honours with distinctions the other year (85+ average), 31 received honours (between 75-85). I fell within the latter category. Always have.
 
I would listen to Jack and take what you love. I'm taking a finite math course to replace my other math and already I'm like "This really sucks". In retrospect replacing a 62 by taking a course in a subject that I strongly dislike probably wasn't worth it. Oh well, paid for the course guess I'll finish haha.

The bonus is if you are taking courses you like, you tend to do better in them and it is not such a drag doing the work 👍

You will probably kill the micro course next semester. The prof is pretty great, took intro micro with her and she knows her microbiology. Not a guaranteed A or A+ but definitely possible.
 
I have the prof for Medical and Veterinary Entomology. I believe I currently have an A with not as little effort (then again, I took similar courses: entomology and parasitology). So we will see! My 91 was in environmental biology. Perhaps environmental science/ecology is my calling?
 
Trema those chem marks are a problem that you should look to fix as soon as possible..
You should be taking 2 chem and 1 physics course this winter semester..
Find the easiest courses within those subjects and find creative ways to learn the material and learn it well.
Screw waiting for pre-reqs to expire. You gotta be aggressive if you wanna get in, you cant go trying to bump 78s up to 82s when there are elephants in the room. Forget what Jack said, his job is not to be frank. I know the AVC application dynamics as well as he does.

Yeah that's right, not everybody on this board is full of powderpuff encouragement and moral support :laugh:

Short-term pain for long-term gain..
Everyone loves taking interesting courses but if you really want to learn about something interesting you can pick up books on your own or go listen to some frickin podcasts or something 😛
 
It would be so much easier if my chosen university did NOT screw me over about chemistry. I will look into the food science course at another institution. I do not have the math background to take inorganic, analytical, physical, etc. chemistry unfortunately.
Yeah, I was worried about those elephants.
Thanks New Foundland.
 
Food science chem was offered this term 🙁 There is an inorganic chem at that school offered in the winter, first year chem is the prereq (no calculus prereq).

If you can't find anything, another option could be to take biochem in the spring session. You would have to take another class along with it for full-time status and it wouldn't help this year but it may be something. Also, analytical at our school doesn't require calculus but you would have to wait until fall, so not much help right now.

I understand New Foundland's point, those marks are not good and if you can replace them you should. But if there isn't a chem class you can take this semester, there isn't anything you can do about those marks right now. You either have to wait until spring semester or until they expire.

Being aggressive is great, but if you're blocked by prereqs and scheduling sometimes you just have to wait and try and improve in other areas. If there is no possible way for you to get into another chem this winter, bump that 79 to an A+ and aim for As in physics and ochem. Those other chem marks will still be there but at least you improved other marks.
 
Unfortunately, I already have Biochemistry. 🙁.
Thanks for the tips Ky and New Foundland. I really do appreciate it. In all honesty, I think my best bet is to wait until my chemistry marks expire. I have already treaded into unknown chem territory (by taking Biochem) and it did not work out so well. I actually really enjoyed the class, but it was heavy memorization, I had personal stuff going on, and it was the last of my 4 exams (I wrote 4 exams in 4 days at the beginning of the exam schedule... that was rough). So, I think treading into analytical chem or inorganic chem territory is not my best option.

I did bump up my organic I mark by re-taking it in the spring, so I am thinking re-taking gen chem I and gen chem II may be my best option. The only other course I will have to upgrade is english.
It will not hurt for me to have another look at my school's schedule and Dal's schedule to see what is being offered.
 
Remember that getting a bad mark in a course doesn't hurt you at this point. it merely is a lost opportunity to upgrade. Since most of your marks have little potential for upgrade, then it's only rational to try to bump up the other chem one as well next term.
Taking a biochem course (higher level one than what you've taken) is absolutely your best option next term from what i can tell. The main point of my first post was that you can't be intimidated by potentially difficult courses at this point if you want to have a better chance of gaining admission this year..
Many applicants have averages around the 81-84 range, so even just a boost of 0.4 avg marks within that distribution group can put you ahead of several other applicants and make all the difference.
 
I will look at biochem courses I guess.
Just by re-taking english and bumping that up to an 82, it increased my pre-req average by 0.4. 😉
 
I just wanted to get us off of the 4th page.

I know we have a while yet to wait but we should be hearing some numbers soon! As in, how many applied from each province.

Also, Trematode....I think I know your parsitology professor quite well (Scottish lady?). She invited me to audit your classes and labs but I couldn't really work it into my schedule. Her and her husband are both really interesting people.
 
I didn't take parasitology at this institution. There is a man who usually does it. I had a woman for medical and veterinary entomology, but she isn't Scottish. If you remember the name, you can PM it to me.

So sad that you cannot audit the parasitology classes. Parasitology rocks. 😎.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is some new info regarding number of applicants.

NS - 64
NB - 35
PE - 27
NF - 11

Thanks for posting this, Lab Rat.

How is everyone handling the long waiting period? I was a bundle of anxiety in November to mid-December but I've calmed down a bit. Still anxious but there is nothing I can do about this cycle now except wait until March. I just have to keep talking myself off the ledge :laugh:
 
Thanks for posting this, Lab Rat.

How is everyone handling the long waiting period?

I've been doing good about not thinking much about it but I recently started worrying about everything and trying to come up with several Plan B's. I can't stop thinking about it now! Only 2 months to go!:xf:
 
Do transcripts get sent straight to Jack or to the Registrar's office?

It looks like I will not get a chance to re-write the GRE before scores are due. I have too much on my plate with astrophysics, organic chemistry and volunteering. My plan is to try to work in New Brunswick or PEI to gain residency. If I spend a year working, it will give me plenty of time to focus on doing well for the GRE.

Plus, since I have been gone from 9-6 everyday, I have not gotten the opportunity to call GRE and see if they will give me a voucher for a re-write. I have to see if I can make time to call them this week. :xf:.
 
Do transcripts get sent straight to Jack or to the Registrar's office?

It looks like I will not get a chance to re-write the GRE before scores are due. I have too much on my plate with astrophysics, organic chemistry and volunteering. My plan is to try to work in New Brunswick or PEI to gain residency. If I spend a year working, it will give me plenty of time to focus on doing well for the GRE.

Plus, since I have been gone from 9-6 everyday, I have not gotten the opportunity to call GRE and see if they will give me a voucher for a re-write. I have to see if I can make time to call them this week. :xf:.

I sent mine directly to the Registrar's Office. I put Attention: DVM program so I hope they get to where they need to be.

There is no point in rewriting the GRE if you don't have time to study; you'll just end up with a similar mark and have to try again. It sounds like you have a good plan for next year in case things don't work out for this year. Care to help me with my Plan B?:laugh:
 
Care to help me with my Plan B?:laugh:

We can move in together and gain residency somewhere better!
That is my plan B. Then I am going to apply again as a NS resident. Then again as a resident somewhere else while also applying to do a masters degree.
I could probably use a year to work. My debt is not getting any smaller.
 
Does anyone know the deal with gaining residency? One of my colleagues has a friend who moved to PEI from NS in August of this year. She applied as a PEI resident. Now, I thought you had to be living in the province for one year at the time applications are due (November 1) but my colleague says her friend just has to prove that she lived and worked in PEI for the year before she starts classes in September (assuming acceptance).

Anyone know someone who went this route?
 
How is everyone handling the long waiting period? I was a bundle of anxiety in November to mid-December but I've calmed down a bit. Still anxious but there is nothing I can do about this cycle now except wait until March. I just have to keep talking myself off the ledge :laugh:

Im handling it by not really expecting to get in this round of applications (plus this was my long-shot choice anyways )...pessimistic I suppose but I know I have some areas I need to approve.
 
Im handling it by not really expecting to get in this round of applications (plus this was my long-shot choice anyways )...pessimistic I suppose but I know I have some areas I need to approve.

I think your approach is more realism than pessimism. You recognize your areas of weakness and realize that acceptance isn't guaranteed. I'm in the same boat but I keep telling myself I have as good of chance as anyone and I'm not giving up on this year until I get a rejection letter.

If that's true, I'd be really surprised. I've never heard of it. Your prerequisites have to be done by May or something, I don't know why they'd give you until September to fulfill your residency requirement.

I thought this sounded too good to be true. I don't know the full story, like maybe she was born and raised in PEI so they are relaxing the rules a bit or something like that.
 
Just got an e-mail about an interview today, for Feb 17th, anyone else heard anything?
 
Just got my interview invite as well for Feb 21. Only problem is, I haven't applied for my passport yet! I have no idea how long it takes to get a passport. Do you guys think I'll be able to get it in time? 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad