AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need to know by tomorrow.
My friend was rejected from med school and we were planning on going drinking. I need the letter so I know how much to budget for :laugh:
 
I need to know by tomorrow.
My friend was rejected from med school and we were planning on going drinking. I need the letter so I know how much to budget for :laugh:

That is sound financial planning :laugh:

Go all out either way. After everything you've been through this semester you deserve a night of drunken debauchery.
 
No mail here either. But are you all US or Candian students getting mail? I'm in the US and haven't heard anything since they said my application had been received.
 
In case anyone is curious:
NS resident (of course)
Pre-reqs: 80.8%
GRE: ~44th percentile (average)

Average should be 82% after this semester's courses. I am planning a GRE retake. Luckily I have a year to do it!

... what is stopping me from taking out a massive loan and going to the Caribbean?
 
Last edited:
... what is stopping me from taking out a massive loan and going to the Caribbean?
common sense ?
move to PEI if anywhere, if you are willing to keep applying for at least two more cycles instead of choosing a plan B career... going 250k in debt to attend an international school would not be my plan B if I were in your situation.. it would be AVC, or a non-DVM option.

82 isnt bad, and you can select three or four key pre-reqs to boost during next fall term too.
Do that, get your average up as close to 83.5/84 as possible, repeat the GRE until you achieve 75-80th percentile, and you're certainly in the running for an interview..

Gotta take advantage of the fact that UPEI takes a 20-course average.. You gotta keep that in mind and formulate your strategy around it..
Some people can get stuck with a mediocre GPA after 3-4 years of undergrad, and its almost impossible to budge your cumulative GPA once you're already 4 years deep..
You don't have to worry about that as an AVC applicant, you can achieve a substantial boost just by taking a 3-course term if you do it strategically and get great marks..

It's an uphill battle, but it's far from a lost cause if you play it right, and many students have applied many times from a worse position than you will be in by next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My plan is to work a year (hopefully gain residency), then upgrade and apply for vet school and a Masters program at the same time.

Luckily, when I upgrade, Gen Chem I will be expired (one of my low marks on my application). I have to see if I am allowed to take Gen Chem II (also expired) because the Biochem I took last year is sitting in that slot on my application. I will have to retake an english composition course (shucks, got an 87 in that) and either re-take intro biology or take another animal science. I also want to take a calculus course in case I feel the need to take an upper level physics or chemistry. So I have a plan.

Jack's advice was to improve my marks in what I am good at. All of my biology courses are between 83-91, most of them being 87s. I've tried to turn 83s into 87s and 87s into 91s. It just is not happening.

In reality, it is my chemistry and physics dragging everything down. I am in organic II and astrophysics right now. By the looks of it, I will be able to turn those horrible marks into low 70s if I am lucky. I am putting SO much effort into doing well in those two courses and I am not. I started going to my Astrophysics prof for extra help and with chem, I just have to make sure that none of my animals decide to die before the final.

Meanwhile... my veterinary/animal experience hours have started to expire. :bang: So unless I get a job in the field or start riding horses or something, my hours are going to drop considerably by the time I get an interview.
 
Last edited:
My plan is to work a year (hopefully gain residency), then upgrade and apply for vet school and a Masters program at the same time.

Luckily, when I upgrade, Gen Chem I will be expired (one of my low marks on my application). I have to see if I am allowed to take Gen Chem II (also expired) because the Biochem I took last year is sitting in that slot on my application. I will have to retake an english composition course (shucks, got an 87 in that) and either re-take intro biology or take another animal science. I also want to take a calculus course in case I feel the need to take an upper level physics or chemistry. So I have a plan.

Jack's advice was to improve my marks in what I am good at. All of my biology courses are between 83-91, most of them being 87s. I've tried to turn 83s into 87s and 87s into 91s. It just is not happening.

In reality, it is my chemistry and physics dragging everything down. I am in organic II and astrophysics right now. By the looks of it, I will be able to turn those horrible marks into low 70s if I am lucky. I am putting SO much effort into doing well in those two courses and I am not. I started going to my Astrophysics prof for extra help and with chem, I just have to make sure that none of my animals decide to die before the final.

Meanwhile... my veterinary/animal experience hours have started to expire. :bang: So unless I get a job in the field or start riding horses or something, my hours are going to drop considerably by the time I get an interview.

Some advice about the english composition course: look into linguistics options. I took a linguistics course that counted as composition (though strangely there wasnt much writing at all involved in the course).. I think it was a morphology & syntax course.. Ask Jack for which courses might count for that. Linguistics can be a lot easier than some english courses depending on prof.

So you are in fact moving to pei? cool, glad to hear that. for this summer? or starting this fall?
I used to know how gaining residence worked for AVC, but then I recall somebody else give conflicting info
 
I am done April 19th. If I can somehow secure a job in PEI for the end of April/beginning of May, I am OUT OF HERE. I haven't had much luck with regards to job hunting. I have a feeling I will end up working call center or fast food. 🙁. I also need to find a place to live. Urgh. It is already stressing me out.

I have heard a LOT of conflicting information regarding gaining residency, the most recent one being that as soon as you move there, you have residency on your next application regardless of whether it has been a year or not.

I will look into linguistics! I took like "Introduction to Writing" and "Reseach and Writing" or some nonsense like that. I got to write short essays on dumb topics. I wrote a thesis. It hurts to think I would have to go back to re-take something like THAT. I wonder if they will count my thesis course as a composition course :laugh:
 
I interviewed on Feb 15th, and haven't heard anything from them....I am an International Student as well.
 
Last year's acceptances threads show most of the American acceptances went out mid to late March, so you guys should be hearing soon.

Trematode - Listen to New Foundland. I'd definitely try the move to PEI/NB route before I shelled out $200,000+ in bank credit for the Caribbean. And yes, my understanding was that only the science credits expired. "Science courses will normally have a laboratory component and be completed within six years of the date of application."
 
Unfortunately, the only job I could find on the island was just "reposted". So I guess I could not get that. 🙄

Urgh. I have no idea what I am going to do.

I might try to get a job around here and then if anyone is coming this way for vet school in the fall, move up there with them and get a job.

My friend is subletting for the summer and I have first dibs on her apartment here in the city. I can also live at home for a bit. I kind of met this awesome guy who ACTUALLY HAS AN INTEREST IN PARASITES... so home is not looking like too much of a drag.

I am going to expand my horizons and consider working here... while looking for employment in New Brunswick or PEI for the summer.

Worst case scenerio, the call center back home will take me on for 4 months. I won't have to pay any rent. Plus, I can get my drivers license.
(When I put it that way, it is looking a little bit better).

Yeah... the Caribbean is impossible for me.
 
I've remained calm throughout the application process and denials from Guelf and CSU, but Im getting really anxious and nervous about hearing from AVC....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seriously considering doing a Masters.
If a NS resident with an animal science degree, a masters in animal behaviour and welfare could not get an interview after retaking the GRE and upgrading courses, there is not very much hope for me at the moment.
My mom emailed me. She heard from a friend that letters were sent out. I forgot to tell her about my rejection! I have been sooo busy with school and busy trying to forget about it. :laugh:.
 
I am seriously considering doing a Masters.
If a NS resident with an animal science degree, a masters in animal behaviour and welfare could not get an interview after retaking the GRE and upgrading courses, there is not very much hope for me at the moment.
My mom emailed me. She heard from a friend that letters were sent out. I forgot to tell her about my rejection! I have been sooo busy with school and busy trying to forget about it. :laugh:.

Have they given you specifics on what they would like to see different on your application?
 
My average needs to be at least 1.2 points higher with my current GRE score.
Or I have to move.
Because people with similar stats are getting interviews from other provinces.
I am trying sooo hard not to be whiny... but it really grinds my gears that people with the exact same stats get an interview because of their residency.
Being rejected just screams "You are not good enough to be a vet because you were born in Nova Scotia!"
The more I think about it, I'd be happy doing a Masters now. Vet school is still my number one choice though.
 
...The more I think about it, I'd be happy doing a Masters now. Vet school is still my number one choice though.

Where would you do your Masters? In what subject? Sorry, I'm being nosy :laugh: I'm thinking of the Masters route if I don't get in after try #2 so I'm wondering what's out there.
 
My average needs to be at least 1.2 points higher with my current GRE score.
Or I have to move.
Because people with similar stats are getting interviews from other provinces.
I am trying sooo hard not to be whiny... but it really grinds my gears that people with the exact same stats get an interview because of their residency.
Being rejected just screams "You are not good enough to be a vet because you were born in Nova Scotia!"
The more I think about it, I'd be happy doing a Masters now. Vet school is still my number one choice though.

That does stink that your stats are good enough if they were comparing you with applicants from a different province 🙁

Dont give up just yet! and try to stay positive! The way I see it is we may not get in this year, but every day is an opportunity to experience something. Focus on improving your application, but dont forget to have fun and live while you're waiting 🙂
 
My average needs to be at least 1.2 points higher with my current GRE score.
Or I have to move.
Because people with similar stats are getting interviews from other provinces.
I am trying sooo hard not to be whiny... but it really grinds my gears that people with the exact same stats get an interview because of their residency.
The average in NS is generally consistent though. In other provinces, as the number of applicants decreases, the variability increases.. So there's situations when you would have gotten in if you were from NS but wouldn't have gotten in if you were from a different province..

The NL average last year was incredibly high, and plenty of those who got accepted as NS residents would have been turned down were they from NL 🙂

On average over the decade, yes nova scotia definitely has the highest cutoff average.. But the higher variability of the other provinces is not always your friend, even if the decade-long average is a couple pts lower than for NS..
 
Masters topic?
I am really interested in Parasitology.
I got a name of a few professors who are interested in parasite ecology (which is what I did my thesis on)
 
Nothing yet here...checking the mail right after its dropped off and checking emails constantly, and on SDN to see if any of you have heard....
 
Hey everyone I am new to the Forum. I just read Trematodes post about a Masters. I am not sure if this is the route that you would like to go on… however some vet schools in Canada you can do your MSc. and Ph.D without having a DVM. I know that one of the topics of interest is Parasitiology, I am not sure if they do ecology but certainly do drug resistance work. The benefit to this is you are working in a vet school and you have access to a wide range of information in veterinary medicine. You will also be gaining veterinary experience as you probably be working with vets. Just a side note.. residency requirements do not apply to certain schools for MSc and PhD. programs.
 
Ok I was just wondering becuase I havent heard anything either and I interviewed at the beginning of Feb. Im starting to go CRAZY! When do you think we will hear??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats!

so I'm guessing if we haven't been invited to interview yet then we should be expecting a rejection soon?