-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls
Started by Lab Rat83
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has anyone else heard anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No not yet. Will we hear something even if we get rejected?
No not yet. Will we hear something even if we get rejected?
Yes, they will let us know if we are rejected.
Has anymore internationls heard anything?
Has anymore internationals heard anything?
I havent heard anything good or bad...
They won't be sending out a whole lot of immediate rejections alongside the acceptances to internationals. Because internationals apply to so many different schools, they need to wait and see how many of the accepted students actually accept the offer, and how many decline.. There's going to be a fair bit of waitlist movement, and that will take some time to move, so definitely none of you should lose hope if you havent heard anything yet. 👍
Do you think they already sent out all the international acceptances?! 

They won't be sending out a whole lot of immediate rejections alongside the acceptances to internationals. Because internationals apply to so many different schools, they need to wait and see how many of the accepted students actually accept the offer, and how many decline.. There's going to be a fair bit of waitlist movement, and that will take some time to move, so definitely none of you should lose hope if you havent heard anything yet. 👍
Thank you🙂
Hello AVC 2016!
Congratulations on your acceptances! I am a 2nd year AVC student from the US, and just wanted to post info on housing we have available. There are so many stressful things already, it's nice to get the housing thing done early on. Many of us have rooms available for cheap, so send me a message if you're looking! In the meantime, here's a link to our house that's available for the summer, but more related, we have 1 room that's available for next year:
http://pei.kijiji.ca/c-ActivateAd?AdId=367298836&Guid=136613ce-1d80-a20b-2744-e93bffffe92c
Feel free to contact me with any what-do-i-do-to-move-my-life-to-PEI questions!
Congratulations on your acceptances! I am a 2nd year AVC student from the US, and just wanted to post info on housing we have available. There are so many stressful things already, it's nice to get the housing thing done early on. Many of us have rooms available for cheap, so send me a message if you're looking! In the meantime, here's a link to our house that's available for the summer, but more related, we have 1 room that's available for next year:
http://pei.kijiji.ca/c-ActivateAd?AdId=367298836&Guid=136613ce-1d80-a20b-2744-e93bffffe92c
Feel free to contact me with any what-do-i-do-to-move-my-life-to-PEI questions!
I got my acceptance on April fool's day...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if I wind up attending AVC, I'll be bringing my boyfriend with me. Can anyone tell me what kinds of processes he'll have to go through in order to be able to live/work in PEI? (we're from the U.S.)
He'll need to get a work permit and I think a temporary visa.
This website should help
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
I think he'd need to find work and have them sponser him to get a temporary visa. It never hurts to just call them up and ask though.
I hope this helps 🙂
Feel free to contact me with any what-do-i-do-to-move-my-life-to-PEI questions!
Seconding that offer.
Can anyone give advice about bringing your dog from the US to PEI? Is it difficult and what kind of paperwork would you need?
anyone hear anything yet?
Can anyone give advice about bringing your dog from the US to PEI? Is it difficult and what kind of paperwork would you need?
It's actually quite easy. You can google it but basically, you need a certificate of rabies vaccination (up to one year old) signed by your vet. Some peope suggest bringing a certificate of health but I only brought the rabies paperwork with me and that was all I gave them. They didn't even look at my dog.
Also, to all of the accepted students out there needing housing, the third cabin where I live is available for rent for the upcoming school year. You can PM me for more information if you'd like 🙂
thanks a bunch! 🙂He'll need to get a work permit and I think a temporary visa.
This website should help
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
I think he'd need to find work and have them sponser him to get a temporary visa. It never hurts to just call them up and ask though.
I hope this helps 🙂
I got waitlisted, anyone know how many people get in off the waitlist?.....trying not to lose hope 🙁
I got waitlisted, anyone know how many people get in off the waitlist?.....trying not to lose hope 🙁
Did you already have an interview?
Yup I interviewed at the end of february.....and im hoping I get in off the waitlist I really loved AVC 

I think there is a lot of movement in the US/international wait list. Good luck!
Tons of movement. AVC has a high price tag, worse I think than a lot of the other OOS prices, so a lot of Internationals will pass it up if they get in somewhere else. So if you're waitlisted, you've got a pretty good chance yet. Fingers crossed for you Daydreamer - We'd love to have you here! 🙂
My file wasnt fully ranked until mid march. Havent heard anything yet, no rejection, interview or otherwise...
I got waitlisted too. Does anyone know how much time people who get accepted have to decide? Just wondering becuase I am trying to figure out what classes to take for summer and fall and trying to see how long until the international spots will be filled so I can start planning for the next application cycle.
i was accepted and i have until april 30 to mail in my deposit.
on another note, i had my first 'trying to decide whether or not to attend AVC' nightmare last night. ugh. the tuition + lack of scholarships available (especially to internationals) + U.S. gov't no longer providing subsidized loans scares the crap out of me. 🙁🙁🙁
if anyone has any financial advice/is aware of any sources of funding other than the Berman Memorial Scholarship or the Phelan Bursary, feel free to share!
on another note, i had my first 'trying to decide whether or not to attend AVC' nightmare last night. ugh. the tuition + lack of scholarships available (especially to internationals) + U.S. gov't no longer providing subsidized loans scares the crap out of me. 🙁🙁🙁
if anyone has any financial advice/is aware of any sources of funding other than the Berman Memorial Scholarship or the Phelan Bursary, feel free to share!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for answering my post! How high is the tuition and I had not heard that the government is no longer providing subsidized loans. Can you tell more about that?
tuition is $53,487 a year for internationals. astronomical! that's about as high as it gets. that's substantially more expensive than the majority of US schools. for example, nonresident tuition at mississippi state is $37,078 a year for nonresidents & only $15,566 a year for residents. at this point, i'm considering moving to mississippi and establishing residency there. from what i've heard, all mississippi residents who applied this past cycle got in 😀
to answer your other question, as of july 1, 2012, the u.s. government will no longer provide subsidized loans to graduate & professional students. so now the only loans we have available to us are the type where interest starts accruing the instant the loan is taken out. so we would either be forced to try & work to pay off the interest as it accrues (which opens up a whole new set of problems), or we will be faced with our loans increasing by a substantial amount before we even graduate
on second thought, maybe i should become a citizen of canada...the U.S is seriously in the sh*tter!
to answer your other question, as of july 1, 2012, the u.s. government will no longer provide subsidized loans to graduate & professional students. so now the only loans we have available to us are the type where interest starts accruing the instant the loan is taken out. so we would either be forced to try & work to pay off the interest as it accrues (which opens up a whole new set of problems), or we will be faced with our loans increasing by a substantial amount before we even graduate
on second thought, maybe i should become a citizen of canada...the U.S is seriously in the sh*tter!
tuition is $53,487 a year for internationals. astronomical! that's about as high as it gets. that's substantially more expensive than the majority of US schools. for example, nonresident tuition at mississippi state is $37,078 a year for nonresidents & only $15,566 a year for residents. at this point, i'm considering moving to mississippi and establishing residency there. from what i've heard, all mississippi residents who applied this past cycle got in 😀
to answer your other question, as of july 1, 2012, the u.s. government will no longer provide subsidized loans to graduate & professional students. so now the only loans we have available to us are the type where interest starts accruing the instant the loan is taken out. so we would either be forced to try & work to pay off the interest as it accrues (which opens up a whole new set of problems), or we will be faced with our loans increasing by a substantial amount before we even graduate
on second thought, maybe i should become a citizen of canada...the U.S is seriously in the sh*tter!
Technically there is not a fixed inter nation tuition - it depends on the exchange rate. So my second semester tuition was about $1k less than first semester. Which isn't a huge amount, but yeah.
Sorry, wanted to make this a separate post:
For incoming students looking for housing, the cabin next to mine is available for rent next school year. It's particular good for international students or those not staying over the island during the summer months because he rents it to vacationers once we're out- you don't need to worry about subletting. The landlord is awesome, the cabins are cute, clean and new and much cheaper to live by yourself than if you were to live in town. We're about a 15min ride from school, the beach and a national park with great hiking trails.
Anyway, I know it's a bit early but if anyone is interested shoot me a pm anytime 🙂
For incoming students looking for housing, the cabin next to mine is available for rent next school year. It's particular good for international students or those not staying over the island during the summer months because he rents it to vacationers once we're out- you don't need to worry about subletting. The landlord is awesome, the cabins are cute, clean and new and much cheaper to live by yourself than if you were to live in town. We're about a 15min ride from school, the beach and a national park with great hiking trails.
Anyway, I know it's a bit early but if anyone is interested shoot me a pm anytime 🙂
on second thought, maybe i should become a citizen of canada...the U.S is seriously in the sh*tter!
If you are interested in becoming a citizen because of the loans, not a good idea 😛
Canadians get a maximum $14000/year from government if you qualify.
Anything else you need, you get from the bank, unless you know someone rich who is able to give you money.
(This is why I am not able to go slinking down to the Caribbean)
You are only allowed to apply to one vet school in the country.
😛😛😛
(I am a little bitter right now. I am $60 000 in debt from undergrad, $20 000 on which I have been paying monthly interest on since starting undergrad. I cannot find a job I qualify for that pays more than minimum wage, let alone one in my field of study. I wish I were on my way to vet school now. My future would be certain instead of full of lies. I am SUPER CLOSE to having to move in with my parents again because I cannot find work and an affordable place to live.)
I still haven't heard whether I am on the waitlist or rejected. I am so confused.
Same here. I guess it means we havent been rejected yet though...
does anyone know when they start calling people off the waiting list?
I would like to know that too because I am trying to figure out what classes to take in the summer and fall semesters. But from the looks of it they havent even sent out the international acceptances yet.
I think they have sent out acceptances for internationals. lwoods is an international. I think they gave her until April 30th to accept or decline her offer. In the states everyone needs to give their decision by the 16th of April. I imagine people on the waiting list will start getting notifications after the 16th, and maybe some in May.
I need to plan my summer classes too...
I need to plan my summer classes too...
No the majority of acceptances have not gone out yet. I emailed Sharon last week and she said that letters were going to hopefully be sent this week but it doesnt sound like anyone has received one yet.
Last edited:
No the majority of acceptances have not gone out yet. I emailed Sharon last week and she said that acceptance letters were going to hopefully be sent this week.
oh cool...fingers crossed everyone!!
Just to touch on the cost....I was also accepted into Western...however tuition was not locked in and continued to rise...and cost of living is a HUGE factor when getting your loans. a 500 sq foot apartment far from campus in Pomona area would cost about 1000 minumum a month not including utilities etc...also our tuition isn't that much different than Western, Tufts, Ohio etc. Cost of living here is cheap in comparison. Just some food for thought.....back to finals...and that redhead....haha I think you are my neighbor. 🙂
yeah but at ohio, nonresidents can apply for residency after 1 year. i agree with you about western & tufts though - however i am somewhat of a lucky duck in that my significant other will be paying for the rent, groceries, etc - as long as he can find a job! speaking of which, i know it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to know of any places that are looking to hire a licensed veterinary technician? also, does anyone know of any decent cheap apartments (we'd be staying year-round)? has to be cat friendly. i haven't had much luck looking so far.Just to touch on the cost....I was also accepted into Western...however tuition was not locked in and continued to rise...and cost of living is a HUGE factor when getting your loans. a 500 sq foot apartment far from campus in Pomona area would cost about 1000 minumum a month not including utilities etc...also our tuition isn't that much different than Western, Tufts, Ohio etc. Cost of living here is cheap in comparison. Just some food for thought.....back to finals...and that redhead....haha I think you are my neighbor. 🙂
i've never gone back & forth on a decision so much in my life! i think i'm leaning towards accepting at the moment but who knows how i'll feel an hour from now. ugh! I guess I'd better decide soon since my deposit has to be in by April 30th and I have no idea how long it takes mail to get there...
So I took Astrophysics to replace my Intro Physics mark.
Well, I did not replace it.
5 more points and I would have replaced it. But that also would have ment scoring 90+ on the final.
I averaged 79% on the assignments, 90% in the lab, FLUNKED the midterm... did 30 points better on the final.
I am a flounder when it comes to math and chemistry.
I am kicking myself a little bit right now. 🙁.
Well, I did not replace it.
5 more points and I would have replaced it. But that also would have ment scoring 90+ on the final.
I averaged 79% on the assignments, 90% in the lab, FLUNKED the midterm... did 30 points better on the final.
I am a flounder when it comes to math and chemistry.
I am kicking myself a little bit right now. 🙁.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I took Astrophysics to replace my Intro Physics mark.
Well, I did not replace it.
5 more points and I would have replaced it. But that also would have ment scoring 90+ on the final.
I averaged 79% on the assignments, 90% in the lab, FLUNKED the midterm... did 30 points better on the final.
I am a flounder when it comes to math and chemistry.
I am kicking myself a little bit right now. 🙁.
At least you tried. It's not like astrophysics is an easy course so serious props for even attempting. I know that is little consolation right now 🙁
So I took Astrophysics to replace my Intro Physics mark.
Well, I did not replace it.
5 more points and I would have replaced it. But that also would have ment scoring 90+ on the final.
I averaged 79% on the assignments, 90% in the lab, FLUNKED the midterm... did 30 points better on the final.
I am a flounder when it comes to math and chemistry.
I am kicking myself a little bit right now. 🙁.
🙁 Im weak with those too. Keep trying! Good luck!
and that redhead....haha I think you are my neighbor. 🙂
Is that who you are?! It's been driving me nuts!
Since like September!i mailed my deposit today! 😱 fingers crossed for the rest of you![]()
I hope we get to be classmates!