AVC/UPEI c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-who

UC Davis c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone heard about interviews yet? My application has been sent for committee review, and I'm just anxiously waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a US or Canadian applicant? I think the time line has moved up since I got my invite in 2011 but overall the US/international applicants will go first :)

I'm a US applicant! I do know that the interviews will be held in November for us, but I'm just a very anxious person :) Also, AVC's way of calculating GPA is a little strange to me, but I'm hoping that it will be beneficial!

You went to AVC, right? Was it difficult to transition to an international school? Did you love your experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a US applicant! I do know that the interviews will be held in November for us, but I'm just a very anxious person :) Also, AVC's way of calculating GPA is a little strange to me, but I'm hoping that it will be beneficial!

You went to AVC, right? Was it difficult to transition to an international school? Did you love your experience?

I did :)

In all honesty: it was really tough for me in many ways, mostly because my family, friends and now-husband were all back home 1200 miles away. It was also challenging going from a more suburban environment near a big city to a rural town. I found the Islanders (outside of the school) to be a stand-offish personally, but the faculty were AMAZING and my friends were too. So no, I did not love it but looking back it was a good eduction and worth it in the end.

I did :)

In all honesty: it was really tough for me in many ways, mostly because my family, friends and now-husband were all back home 1200 miles away. It was also challenging going from a more suburban environment near a big city to a rural town. I found the Islanders (outside of the school) to be a stand-offish personally, but the faculty were AMAZING and my friends were too. So no, I did not love it but looking back it was a good eduction and worth it in the end.

Thank you so much for your honest feedback! I really really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, has anyone heard about interviews yet? My application has been sent for committee review, and I'm just anxiously waiting!

hey guys I recieved an email from UPEI..The email stated:

After reviewing your application I can confirm that you meet the
minimum requirements.

Please note: some of your required prerequisites
were either taken at a reduced course-load (less than 9 sem/hr); OR
were beyond the 6 year limit.

- Genetics (BI 311) - Reduced

For this reason, you will be required to submit a detailed
letter to the Admission's Committee outlining your exceptional
circumstances justifying why your application should be
considered.

I took a genetics class online that counted for 3 credits. Has anyone gotten a similar email in the past? if so, any advice on what to write to the admissions committee? thanks!

minimum requirements.

considered.

I took a genetics class online that counted for 3 credits. Has anyone gotten a similar email in the past? if so, any advice on what to write to the admissions committee? thanks!
I got this same email for my first semester of college - it was too old. So my arguments wouldn’t work for you. But basically I think you would want to establish that it wasn’t because you couldn’t cope with the full-time workload of taking a full session of classes, but that you were doing whatever else you might’ve been doing at the same time such as working and so on. In my situation the classes were too old, so I talked about how I took more advanced versions of those classes later on and how I work in a field that is directly related to them, that I was sure I had the foundational knowledge from those classes.

minimum requirements.

considered.

I had a similar request when I applied (in 2011). They want to know why you weren’t taking a full course load at that time. Were you already out of school? Working? Dealing with health or family issues? Etc.

minimum requirements.

considered.

I got the same email a week or so ago. I’m not sure if I wrote a good enough letter back.

I listed in my VMCAS application that I would use AP Biology, Intro to Bio II and a physiology course for the Animal Biology Requirement. Does anyone know if UPEI would accept both AP Biology and the BIO II toward this requirement? I got an email that one of the courses that I didn’t list as counting toward the prerequisite was taken at a reduced course load. I’m guessing that due to having this course that could replace my AP Bio credit they did. If they don’t accept my explanation of why I had a reduced course load can I use my AP Bio to fulfill the requirement?

I listed in my VMCAS application that I would use AP Biology, Intro to Bio II and a physiology course for the Animal Biology Requirement. Does anyone know if UPEI would accept both AP Biology and the BIO II toward this requirement? I got an email that one of the courses that I didn’t list as counting toward the prerequisite was taken at a reduced course load. I’m guessing that due to having this course that could replace my AP Bio credit they did. If they don’t accept my explanation of why I had a reduced course load can I use my AP Bio to fulfill the requirement?

At least when I applied a while ago, they wouldn’t let you use a lower level course (AP bio) when you had a higher level course of the same general material. Plus AP bio was presumably taken in high school and not at a full college load. So I’d guess no, but at least worth asking :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay I just saw this comment about interview invites and checked my email. Got an invite as well.

Does anyone know if UPEI only has one day for all international students or multiple?

Does anyone know if UPEI only has one day for all international students or multiple?

Congrats! There is just one day for international students, it is November 23rd.
I'm a first year at AVC - hope to see you all there!

I got an interview as well! So exciting!!
Congrats! There is just one day for international students, it is November 23rd.
I'm a first year at AVC - hope to see you all there!
Congrats to you! Are you an international or domestic student? What are your impressions of the town and school so far?

So excited for the interview! Not as excited for the cost of the plane ticket, but gonna do it anyway :)

Is anyone else staying at Rodd Royalty? I’m trying to figure out the best way from there to campus without a car. I’m guessing probably a taxi? I’m normally all about public transit but it’s probably not a great idea when you are trying to get to an interview.

Hearing about those of you getting interviews is super exciting! I'm local so I've actually just finished submitting everything for my application, likely won't hear about interviews until April :depressed:

Hearing about those of you getting interviews is super exciting! I'm local so I've actually just finished submitting everything for my application, likely won't hear about interviews until April :depressed:
Good luck! I think they have a ton more local spots than international, so you are in good stead!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there! Congrats on interview invites! Current 2nd year international student at AVC here :) I took a taxi to my interview and I had no problems! Uber or Lyft aren't a thing here, so a taxi is your only option unless you're willing to hoof it (wouldn't recommend walking from downtown to AVC in November. lol)

Congratulations on the interview invites! I’m a current 3rd year international student at AVC. I didn’t use taxis (rented a car) but my roommate did, and she split taxi costs with other interviewees who were staying at the same hotel so she did not have to pay full cost!

Good luck! I think they have a ton more local spots than international, so you are in good stead!

AVC admits 26 international students and unfortunately they only have 10 seats for PEI residents. The rest of the seats go to: 13 New Brunswick, 3 Newfoundland, 16 Nova Scotia- unless they’re changed something for the new class.

Congratulations on the interview invites! I’m a current 3rd year international student at AVC. I didn’t use taxis (rented a car) but my roommate did, and she split taxi costs with other interviewees who were staying at the same hotel so she did not have to pay full cost!

AVC admits 26 international students and unfortunately they only have 10 seats for PEI residents. The rest of the seats go to: 13 New Brunswick, 3 Newfoundland, 16 Nova Scotia- unless they’re changed something for the new class.
Well if anyone wants to share a taxi, hit me up! I may bring a sign lol.
Oh only 10 seats doesn’t seem fair, but I guess population to seat it’s still a bit fairer?

I got an interview as well! So exciting!!

Congrats to you! Are you an international or domestic student? What are your impressions of the town and school so far?

I'm domestic, from Nova Scotia, and I absolutely love Charlottetown, and could not have better things to say about the school. Everyone is super welcoming and accommodating.

Does anyone know if we got an interview request and submitted a letter for the admissions committee to accept a class under reduced course load, does that mean that they accepted my explanation?

Does anyone know if we got an interview request and submitted a letter for the admissions committee to accept a class under reduced course load, does that mean that they accepted my explanation?
I’m in a similar situation. I’m guessing yes but if you contact to confirm let me know what they say.

I’m hoping to see some of you there tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!
Also, for anyone traveling with a guest(s), I recommend sending them across the street to the farmers market if they have some downtime- such as during your interview and computer personality test thing.

How did everyone find the interview day?

How did everyone find the interview day?

I was not aware that the interview was only 15 minutes long! For some reason, I thought it was going to be 30 minutes, but then everyone started coming back really quickly. I was in and out so fast... I hope that I made a good impression with what time I had!

I was not aware that the interview was only 15 minutes long! For some reason, I thought it was going to be 30 minutes, but then everyone started coming back really quickly. I was in and out so fast... I hope that I made a good impression with what time I had!
I felt like I liked the shorter time span. They didn’t ask anything I felt like I didn’t have enough time to answer. My interviewers seemed really nice. Almost every interview I’ve had prior always says that it’s supposed to be a “conversation” and I felt like this interview actually was.

Question for current students: how much NAVLE prep does the school give?

Question for current students: how much NAVLE prep does the school give?
I mean...lectures, rotations, etc are all NAVLE prep :laugh: When I was there 2011-2015 they did a couple optional NAVLE prep lectures in a couple topic areas in fourth year outside of normal class hours- basically a professor would offer to do one. The rest is up to you- Zuku or Vetprep.

I mean...lectures, rotations, etc are all NAVLE prep :laugh: When I was there 2011-2015 they did a couple optional NAVLE prep lectures in a couple topic areas in fourth year outside of normal class hours- basically a professor would offer to do one. The rest is up to you- Zuku or Vetprep.
Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I was talking to some students who go to international vet schools (US accredited) and they talked about how the school doesn't give much prep (i.e. exams being similar to NAVLE questions, etc) because they focus more on their country's vet school requirements.

Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I was talking to some students who go to international vet schools (US accredited) and they talked about how the school doesn't give much prep (i.e. exams being similar to NAVLE questions, etc) because they focus more on their country's vet school requirements.

Everyone at AVC takes the NAVLE, and only the NAVLE so they do not try and gear anything towards another licensing exam. As that redhead said, you learn everything you need from classes, rotations, NAVLE prep courses, etc. Professors are more than happy to offer material review for NAVLE as well.

Agree w/ the above and I'll also add that professors are always giving us a heads up when bits of information or topics tend to be popular NAVLE subjects. I have so many "NAVLE!!!" notes to myself throughout my notes.

Also, one of the professor's made a board game for the NAVLE called "The Board." I purchased mine from an upperclassman (although you can find it on Amazon now) and it's pretty cool. Also neat that one of our professors was one of the creators!

Also, there is a VetPrep class representative chosen for each class to help guide people in using those programs. That person gets a free VetPrep subscription for a year I believe. They just sent us information about applying for that position (I'm in second year).

The NAVLE is Canada’s requirement for licensing (“North American licensing exam”), so I imagine that the NAVLE prep is pretty comparable at schools across Canada and the states.

• Wow
Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear anything?

I think next week is our week!!

• Wow
Think we’ll here tomorrow for international? Last two years I think it was on a Wednesday

AVC is emailing! International acceptance

hi, I've been accepted (yay!) as an international applicant, and I wanted to know how well students learn about farm animals such as beef/dairy cattle, sheep/goats, etc. I know UPEI is really known for their aquaculture health but I'm leaning towards the large animal track.

I know on the tour we saw dairy cattle, but I'm wondering about the other types of farm animals and I forgot to ask my student ambassador XP

AVC 2019 grad here, practising in large animal medicine. You will have lots of opportunities for large animal stuff! not to worry. They have teaching cows and teaching horses for labs. In third year you get to declare your interests and in doing so you can pick some specific large animal labs and classes. For 4th year you have a few spots for elective rotations and can pick large animal rotations. I was fortunate enough to get a job in the summer in the large animal hospital. This job also allowed me to work the odd shift in the barn during the school year as well. I got lots of opportunities to be in on cases, watch and participate in surgeries and procedures. You have so many opportunities if you take advantage of some of your down time and head down to the barn, the hard part is heading back up to class! But this was my motivator to get through classes and remind me of what I was working towards! Enjoy the experience. One of my best friends is one of the large animal technicians and I miss AVC so much!

Are they done emailing? I still don’t have anything