Average hour rate for new RPHs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack_hen

Reaction score
I am just curious what is the average hourly rate cvs and Walgreens is offering these new grad RPHs as staff and managers in NYC this year?? I overheard from another pharmacist the rate offered this year is really low. And some RPhs are working more but getting the same pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I too am interested in this. I heard Duane Reade is offering ~130k to start. Overall the wages in NYC/manhattan seem pathetic compared to SF where the cost of living is similar. SF starting is like 140k to 160k. I feel like a lot of NY pharmacist are going to be moving to SF where the pay is a lot higher. I believe that migrants tend to be disproportionally educated and therefor they temper the pharmacy market in NYC where SF does not have as many migrants.

Whats the point of going to pharmacy school if your only making 130k in NYC? Thats what you could make anywhere else in the country and actually save and buy a house.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the point of going to pharmacy school if your only making 130k in NYC? Thats what you could make anywhere else in the country and actually save and buy a house.
Yeah but NYC is actually a fun place to live and work. I would rather earn 100k in NYC than 140k in Chicago or god forbid Houston or Dallas. Also why would I want to buy a house. You realize you only rent the land even if you own it due to yearly property taxes. Also I have lived in houses before in the suburbs. It's extremely lonely for a single man. I'm rather live in my car in a dense city then live in a house some lonely suburban hellscape.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah but NYC is actually a fun place to live and work. I would rather earn 100k in NYC than 140k in Chicago or god forbid Houston or Dallas. Also why would I want to buy a house. You realize you only rent the land even if you own it due to yearly property taxes. Also I have lived in houses before in the suburbs. It's extremely lonely for a single man. I'm rather live in my car in a dense city then live in a house some lonely suburban hellscape.

I agree. You will never get bored living in NYC and Northern NJ.

Anyone with a decent head on his shoulder is making 150k+ in NYC.

I agree. You will never get bored living in NYC and Northern NJ.
Nah I was just talking about manhattan below 125th street and williamsburg, and long island city. New Jersey is a complete dump. It's basically all surburbs. Newark is rundown. Even Hoboken and Jersy City are isolated and hard to get to Manhattan from. Their density is lower and the quality of the urban experience is much weaker. I would never live in NJ. There is a valid reason so many NYCers rip on NJ.

Y’all can keep NYC to yourselves LOL

Reactions: 5 users
I never understood the appeal of NYC. It's dirty, smells bad, congested, expensive, driving and parking is a nightmare, miserably cold and windy half the year, and hot and humid the other half. I bought a drink at a bar once and it was $15.

I've been there around Xmas time and for New Year's Eve and it was miserably cold. Also been during Memorial Day which was miserably hot and humid. The shows are nice but you can see those at any major city.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I never understood the appeal of NYC. It's dirty, smells bad, congested, expensive, driving and parking is a nightmare, miserably cold and windy half the year, and hot and humid the other half. I bought a drink at a bar once and it was $15.

I've been there around Xmas time and for New Year's Eve and it was miserably cold. Also been during Memorial Day which was miserably hot and humid. The shows are nice but you can see those at any major city.

1. Cheap and fast airfare to nearly any city
2. NYCLINK means free 150+ Gigibit wifi all over the city
3. tons of people = tons of energy
4. the light rail system is awesome. takes you anywhere and it's fun to drive
5. tons of amazing food
6. never get bored with everything going on around you
7. some of the nicest people in the US because most of manhattanittes have money and you live so close together you have to be nice to ppl to get along.
8. owning a firearm is illegal or virtually illegal. very safe city. owning a knife is illegal if it's longer than4 inches and not fixed. If you conceal carry a legal knife you can be arrested if it is showing as it's considered threatening behavior.

yes it smells bad especially on trash day in the summer.
it's only congested if you drive. most people that live there don't own a car
it's not actually expensive. the only expensive part is rent. You can find 1 USD pizza everywhere in Manhattan. There is tons of cheap and affordable food. Lots of lower class people in manhattan.
it's never too hot or cold. it's by the Atlantic which keeps the city temperate.
15 USD drink? yes alcohol can be expensive especially if you went to a tourist trap eatery.

it's a city of dreams. and i'm a big dreamer

Last edited:

NYC is chock full of liberals who think they have it all but have never visited SoCal.

NYC is chock full of liberals who think they have it all but have never visited SoCal.
SoCal is a suburb hellscape. Car culture, pollution, wild fires, earthquakes. LA is actually a very poor city due to all the undocumented individuals and lack of jobs. If anything I would move to SF not LA. LA is a disgusting city. Have fun spending 2 hours a day in traffic. Their light rail system hardly goes any where.

Members don't see this ad :)
SoCal is a suburb hellscape. Car culture, pollution, wild fires, earthquakes. LA is actually a very poor city due to all the undocumented individuals and lack of jobs. If anything I would move to SF not LA. LA is a disgusting city. Have fun spending 2 hours a day in traffic. Their light rail system hardly goes any where.
Nobody drives in SF either, they take either the muni or BART. I see SF as a more expensive version of NYC... i.e, it’s financial suicide trying to live there.

This is why I love Philly. I own a huge house that only cost me $250k. $3k/year in taxes. I can do 99% of the things you can do in NYC. And if I really want to do something in NYC, it's a short drive. And honestly, the only thing I ever go up to do there is to see a concert or show every now and then. Maybe buy some knockoff stuff on Canal St. Philly might even have a Canal St equivalent, I have no idea.

Reactions: 5 users
5. tons of amazing food
7. some of the nicest people in the US because most of manhattanittes have money and you live so close together you have to be nice to ppl to get along.
8. owning a firearm is illegal or virtually illegal. very safe city. owning a knife is illegal if it's longer than4 inches and not fixed. If you conceal carry a legal knife you can be arrested if it is showing as it's considered threatening behavior.

it's not actually expensive. the only expensive part is rent. You can find 1 USD pizza everywhere in Manhattan. There is tons of cheap and affordable food. Lots of lower class people in manhattan.
it's never too hot or cold. it's by the Atlantic which keeps the city temperate.
15 USD drink? yes alcohol can be expensive especially if you went to a tourist trap eatery.

1. I haven't paid for an airline ticket in like 10 years. So many easy credit card sign up bonuses to choose from.
2. I get unlimited talk/text/data through Cricket. I don't need wifi. I hardly use any data anyway.
3. Tons of people = cluster, noise, not kid or pet friendly
4. You can drive the train? Interesting. Bringing a baby on a crowded train to get groceries and hauling them back on the train and up and down stairs sounds like a nightmare, no thanks.
5. Food is good. There is good food in any city though.
6. I'm never bored in general. I don't know how people can be bored if you work a full time job. You only have so much free time when you're not at work.
7. Nice people in NYC? LoL why is everyone so rude and angry all the time then?
8. Right cause if it's illegal then the criminals won't do it :bullcrap:

Really, the only expensive part is rent? LoL so basically it's only expensive if you live there, okay. A lot of the lower class who live there are grandfathered in with rent control from the 60s and 70s. No way can a lower class citizen afford a place there now.

Different strokes for different folks. If you're young, single and don't mind paying 3k to rent a closet, then NYC is cool I guess. I enjoy coming home to the privacy and peacefulness of my detached house with a garage and yard. I can't stand congested living.

Nobody drives in SF either, they take either the muni or BART. I see SF as a more expensive version of NYC... i.e, it’s financial suicide trying to live there.
Yeah I like SF. I would live in SF. And i live in my car so the high rent would mean nothing to me.

1. I haven't paid for an airline ticket in like 10 years. So many easy credit card sign up bonuses to choose from.
2. I get unlimited talk/text/data through Cricket. I don't need wifi. I hardly use any data anyway.
4. You can drive the train? Interesting. Bringing a baby on a crowded train to get groceries and hauling them back on the train and up and down stairs sounds like a nightmare, no thanks.
6. I'm never bored in general. I don't know how people can be bored if you work a full time job. You only have so much free time when you're not at work.

Really, the only expensive part is rent? LoL so basically it's only expensive if you live there, okay. A lot of the lower class who live there are grandfathered in with rent control from the 60s and 70s. No way can a lower class citizen afford a place there now.

Different strokes for different folks. If you're young, single and don't mind paying 3k to rent a closet, then NYC is cool I guess. I enjoy coming home to the privacy and peacefulness of my detached house with a garage and yard. I can't stand congested living.
"No way can a lower class citizen afford a place there now."
Yeah man. Not sure if you have been to Manhattan but there are tons of Pubilc housing areas where people that are well below the federal poverty line live for free or low rent.

It’s like the inhabitants of NYC are chronically constipated and mad about it.

Anyone find it ironic that one of the great things pointed out about NYC is the easy ability to get out?

Reactions: 1 users
"No way can a lower class citizen afford a place there now."
Yeah man. Not sure if you have been to Manhattan but there are tons of Pubilc housing areas where people that are well below the federal poverty line live for free or low rent.

Aren't those REALLY hard to get into, though? Like there are lotteries and all.

5. tons of amazing food

I hate #8. Why should Robert DeNiro be able to get a concealed carry permit but not me?

NYC has one of the ruddest people in the nation. The more fast pace the cities, the more rude people are.

Between Chicago or NYC, I'd go to Chicago anyday, low cola and pretty decent city.

In SF/NYC, for $100-150k new people can barely get by because everything is so expensive. When there are a fuk ton of people makes 3x-100x more than you, it tend to jack everything up.

AT&T prepaid 45/mo unlimited everything.

Cricket has speed caps from 3 mbps/8 mbps. It's not enough speed for me. Family plan 4 lines unlimited for $100, not bad, it's just that speed cap 3 mbps is meh.

1. sooooo I take it you don't travel much
2. wth is cricket? and you don't use data... I take it that you hate technology
3. you are old and hate crowds
4. old and with a baby... this makes more sense now
5. you obviously aren't very adventurous with your food choices
6. so you don't do much outside of your work?
7. people from all over the world lives in NYC and I had good experiences
8. no comment

lol im just joking with the response... but you got it right... people who are young active and want to experience different cultures then NYC is the place to be... someone who just want to go home after work and watch TV then ofc NYC is not for you

Y’all want NYC that bad? If you like high COL and cluster of people on a daily basis by all means stay. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my deer knives and shotguns and enjoy rural America with everything a tenth of the price (did I mention no cluster?)

Reactions: 3 users
5. tons of amazing food

I used to live in NYC and much of your post is very confusing to me. The "light rail"? That you can drive (unless you mean "ride")?? First of all what on earth are you talking about. The subway? I have never in my entire life heard anyone call the NYC subway the light rail. Second of all from what I've heard from friends the subway is pretty much spiraling out of control and not "awesome". Manhattan is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination either... yes theres dollar pizza but I think most people need more than that to survive. If you want to live in a remotely desirable area of manhattan youre looking at 2,000+/month for a crappy apartment. "Manhattanites being nice because they have tons of money and live on top of one another"... again what? Dont get me wrong I loved living in ny but half of what you're saying makes no sense.

Also duane reade isnt offering anything near 130k to start LOL.

Anyone with a decent head on his shoulder is making 150k+ in NYC.
Even at $150k...thats still probably just barely getting by in NYC. An extra 20k in no way offsets that cost of living.

Y’all want NYC that bad? If you like high COL and cluster of people on a daily basis by all means stay. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my deer knives and shotguns and enjoy rural America with everything a tenth of the price (did I mention no cluster?)
This is living^^

I will never understand the fascination with living somewhere just because it is more expensive. Someone who lives in a rural area vs. someone who lives in the big cities (making relatively the same income) will always have more to set aside to invest, spend, or do whatever simply because everything is so inexpensive.

To each their own. I used to live around the NYC area as my family used to worked in Manhattan.
Traffic jams and bad commutes and total cluster **** all day.
I moved into a suburban area. Got a bigger place and less cluster ****. Spend much less time in traffic and commuting and more time relaxing.

I live in a mid sized city and I work at a hospital. If I want to visit nyc I can do it on my off week without taking pto. Its not like your going to see a broadway show or going to the met everyday...so quit acting like nyc is the dream

so when have one person claiming you should be making 150k in nyc if you had half of a brain and another person saying DR isn't offering anything near 130k to start

which one is it?!?!

I don't get all the hate on here. We all have different preferences in lifestyle and we do not all enjoy the same living environment. RPh salaries in NYC are pretty bad, you can all use google/glassdoor/linkedin and find averages, it is not so difficult. For a single person, as a pharmacist, you would have to live somewhere outside of Manhattan but if you have a significant other/roommate to share expenses with, it is very manageable. You can still save.

so when have one person claiming you should be making 150k in nyc if you had half of a brain and another person saying DR isn't offering anything near 130k to start

which one is it?!?!

Starting rate was likely 150k before but has since been lowered.

I don't get all the hate on here. We all have different preferences in lifestyle and we do not all enjoy the same living environment. RPh salaries in NYC are pretty bad, you can all use google/glassdoor/linkedin and find averages, it is not so difficult. For a single person, as a pharmacist, you would have to live somewhere outside of Manhattan but if you have a significant other/roommate to share expenses with, it is very manageable. You can still save.

Lol no hate. It just bugs me personally that a lot of people that I know from NYC act like the city is gods gift to earth, and can’t handle being told otherwise.

New Yorkers are no worse than people in any other big city, and way better than some (think angelenos).

I would never live in Manhattan, because it's dirty, noisy, crowded, expensive - and on top of it, charges extra income tax. And other parts of NYC are even less worth it. I do love living in a forest 10 mins away from a cute village on the Hudson river and just over an hour away from NYC, so I an go for shows/museums/sales 2-3 times a month yet live in a place where I actually enjoy living day to day. I have lived in all settings - urban big city, urban small city, suburban, rural small town, rural middle of literal nowhere with an hour drive to get basic groceries - and I know exactly what I like and don't like by now.

A friend of mine is making 65/hour at a Walgreens in Long Island. He's a manager there, most of his classmates are either floating and making 48-55/hour or in a residency program.

These threads always crack me up. Why does no one ever say what exactly it is they get to do in your area that no one else can do? Also there is food everywhere.

Oh and get stuck on that train with no air conditioning someday and tell me you still like it. It's also always late.

These threads always crack me up. Why does no one ever say what exactly it is they get to do in your area that no one else can do? Also there is food everywhere.

Oh and get stuck on that train with no air conditioning someday and tell me you still like it. It's also always late.

There are a few things you can get in NYC you can't get elsewhere. World Class theater productions is probably the biggest thing I can think of. Nobody has anything comparable to Broadway in the US. Or the world, really. If you are into high end fashion, only LA can really compete. If you are in the finance industry, obviously they have Wall Street as the epicenter of world commerce. For the average Joe...you can get most things that you actually care about in most large towns and in any city in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
I used to live in NYC and much of your post is very confusing to me. The "light rail"? That you can drive (unless you mean "ride")?? First of all what on earth are you talking about. The subway? I have never in my entire life heard anyone call the NYC subway the light rail. Second of all from what I've heard from friends the subway is pretty much spiraling out of control and not "awesome". Manhattan is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination either... yes theres dollar pizza but I think most people need more than that to survive. If you want to live in a remotely desirable area of manhattan youre looking at 2,000+/month for a crappy apartment. "Manhattanites being nice because they have tons of money and live on top of one another"... again what? Dont get me wrong I loved living in ny but half of what you're saying makes no sense.

Also duane reade isnt offering anything near 130k to start LOL.

Most high brow people call it the light rail system in Manhattan as that is what it is light rail. What do you mean drive? do you know how much the tolls are for the GWB or the Holland tunnel? it's 15 bucks one way. Have fun paying that toll everyday + congestion. I actually lived in a very desirable section of the upperwestside for 0 dollars a month living in my car/trailer. IMO wealthier people tend to be nicer and more respectful. The average income for my zipcode in manhattan was 107k a year and I had way fewer problems then when I was living in a working class area of Chicago. of course sample size = 1

NYC has one of the ruddest people in the nation. The more fast pace the cities, the more rude people are.

Between Chicago or NYC, I'd go to Chicago anyday, low cola and pretty decent city.

In SF/NYC, for $100-150k new people can barely get by because everything is so expensive. When there are a fuk ton of people makes 3x-100x more than you, it tend to jack everything up.

I feel the opposite. The rudiest people I have met in the US are people from smaller towns. They are xenophobic and suspicious and usually ANTI SOCIAL BC THEY LIVE FAR APART FROM EACH OTHER AND DON'T KNOW WHAT IS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE. People in SF and manhattan are some of the most socialized people on earth and generally know how to behave nicely with others.

Aren't those REALLY hard to get into, though? Like there are lotteries and all.
Not sure. But my point is there are literally hundreds of thousands of extremely poor people living in Manhattan therefore there are CHEAP af amenities everywhere in Manhattan.

Nice people in NYC? LMAOOOO, yeah right
You realize when someone yells at you to hurry up in a line in Manhattan it's because deep down they love you are want you to respect everyone else's time in the line. Where in BFE you will wait behind some granny for 15 min in the Goodwill line where no one will say anything "rude" and then the 5 ppl in line each lose 15 min of their life at an average salary of 30 USD an hour that rural person just cost society 37.50 USD. Manhattan is about being efficient and respecting people's time.

which one is it?!?!
I believe starting wages are actually quite low in manhattan. 115-125k.

I believe starting wages are actually quite low in manhattan. 115-125k.

Time is money in NYC, yet the starting wages are on par with some recent starting offers I’ve heard in cheaper parts of the country. Obviously we’re not getting money saved thru efficiency.

You realize when someone yells at you to hurry up in a line in Manhattan it's because deep down they love you are want you to respect everyone else's time in the line. Where in BFE you will wait behind some granny for 15 min in the Goodwill line where no one will say anything "rude" and then the 5 ppl in line each lose 15 min of their life at an average salary of 30 USD an hour that rural person just cost society 37.50 USD. Manhattan is about being efficient and respecting people's time.

With that logic:

To protect my value and salary worth I could wear a diaper to work to cut out lost time and preserve my seat in a competitive economy while not contributing to wasting someone else’s life waiting in the restroom.

Gotta better argument than that?

Time is money in NYC, yet the starting wages are on par with some recent starting offers I’ve heard in cheaper parts of the country. Obviously we’re not getting money saved thru efficiency.
Yeah but it's actually a in demand place to live that is why there is significant downward pressure on pharmD salaries. sure you can make 180k in BFE Alaska but what good is the money if you can't spend it. Anyway this thread is getting off point. It was made to give info on Manhattan starting salaries for PharmDs not politics for what city is the best. there is Citydata.com for that

How can anyone possibly argue that New Yorkers are not some of the rudest people in the US?????

Yeah but it's actually a in demand place to live that is why there is significant downward pressure on pharmD salaries. sure you can make 180k in BFE Alaska but what good is the money if you can't spend it. Anyway this thread is getting off point. It was made to give info on Manhattan starting salaries for PharmDs not politics for what city is the best. there is Citydata.com for that

Or personalpreference.com lol