Average hour rate for new RPHs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I am just curious what is the average hourly rate cvs and Walgreens is offering these new grad RPHs as staff and managers in NYC this year?? I overheard from another pharmacist the rate offered this year is really low. And some RPhs are working more but getting the same pay.

This doesn’t necessitate average in NYC specifically nor just cvs - Walgreens, but I find it intriguing when comparing these two sources and assuming a higher salary compared to cost of living :

Source #1: Salary for Pharmacist in New York | Salary.com

Source #2:
Cost of Living Calculator | San Francisco, CA vs. New York (Manhattan), NY | NerdWallet

I’ve been having fun playing with the cost of living calculator

Reactions: 1 user
Most high brow people call it the light rail system in Manhattan as that is what it is light rail. What do you mean drive?

Youre trolling right? You think you're high brow huh. You said "the light rail is fun to drive" in your original post. Nobody calls it that, and if you wanna get technical the NYC subway is considered HEAVY rail. Maybe I was just a low brow schmuck and that's why ive never heard of this.

Fyi "poor" people in manhattan live in the projects, low income housing, with roommates or in a unicorn rent controlled apartment. Or they live in a borough and ride the "fabulous light rail" to get to work. You come off very elitist sounding (I assume because you no longer live in your car feel you have now joined the high brow NYC elite).

Your posts make me want to set myself on fire.

Reactions: 2 users
How can anyone possibly argue that New Yorkers are not some of the rudest people in the US?????

there are people from all over the world living in NYC, if you want to say that the native new Yorkers are rude, then maybe but in general people in new York are very nice from my limited experience

and as for your other question on what can you get in NY that you can't you get in other part of the country... same thing as I said before, people from all over the world lives in NYC, you can't get that in just any place. I would say it's way better than SF in that aspect

Also aren't there more females than males in NYC? so if you are a single young guy then that's a plus too lol

Reactions: 1 users
I don't get all the hate on here. We all have different preferences in lifestyle and we do not all enjoy the same living environment. RPh salaries in NYC are pretty bad, you can all use google/glassdoor/linkedin and find averages, it is not so difficult. For a single person, as a pharmacist, you would have to live somewhere outside of Manhattan but if you have a significant other/roommate to share expenses with, it is very manageable. You can still save.

I don't get it either lol there are so much hate here for California and NYC.... Not everyone wants to live in a small town just so they can save money... I've lived in small cities before and I would never do it again if I can help it

NYC has one of the ruddest people in the nation. The more fast pace the cities, the more rude people are.

Between Chicago or NYC, I'd go to Chicago anyday, low cola and pretty decent city.

In SF/NYC, for $100-150k new people can barely get by because everything is so expensive. When there are a fuk ton of people makes 3x-100x more than you, it tend to jack everything up.

Your rude is my polite.

Example: I'm driving through a small town on my way to my aunt's house in the Poconos and decide to stop for a pizza. I walk in look at the guy, "yo lemme get a slice and a coke real quick". Guy looks at me like I've offended him. In NYC, that would be polite because I'm trying to be fast and not hold up the line.

Speed and efficiency are king in NYC, if you're talkative and try to tell your life story with each person you meet, you're being rude.

Last edited:
Your rude is my polite.

Example: I'm driving through a small town on my way to my aunt's house in the Poconos and decide to stop for a pizza. I walk in look at the guy, "yo lemme get a slice and a coke real quick". Guy looks at me like I've offended him. In NYC, that would be polite because I'm trying to be fast and not hold up the line.

Speed and efficiency are king in NYC, if you're talkative and try to tell your life story with each person you meet, you're being rude.

I don't believe this for a second because half of the people in the Poconos are from NYC or Philadelphia.

I was standing at a cross walk waiting for the light to turn green. A guy plows right through me, pushing me into a father holding his baby. Let's call him freight train. The father understandably yells at me cause he thought I pushed him on purpose. I try to apologize, meanwhile freight train is on the other side of the street already.

Anywhere else in the world, freight train was rude for plowing through me. But according to this thread in NYC, time is money so he was being polite by saving himself time, and my rude is your polite. So he must be one of the nicest people cause he knows how to live in close proximity with others and he's a dreamer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a thought, instead of being in a rush why not leave early like everyone else?

Eh, I agree with Sparda. I hate when people generally slow everything down by just being in the way or not being aware of others. I'll never understand how so many people think a doorway is an appropriate place to stop for a chat. Then I'm the dingus when I ask them to move.

Uh leave earlier. I feel sorry for people always being in a rush and angry all the time

upload_2018-11-26_18-22-42.jpeg

It was on the way to Wilkes-Barre and it was somewhere between there and the Delaware Water Gap.
One thing I like in Manhattan is when you bump into people you don't have the expectation of saying "sorry" or "whoops" just no one cares and keeps moving on in silence like nothing happened with no hurt feelings. That is one thing I notice in smaller citys. If you accidentally bump someone the dramatic value of their response is inversely proportional to their city's population size.

Uh leave earlier. I feel sorry for people always being in a rush and angry all the time
One day you will realize that anger is really the exact same thing as love. And that the opposite of love isn't anger, it's apathy. It's a coin. one side is anger/love/emotion the other side is complete apathy. When you are old in your late 70's and living alone and you are sad that no one even takes time to even be angry at you at all or to waste time showing you any emotion, now that is true sadness. So yes people in Manhattan may be anger but I just see that as raw love. They are angry bc deep down they care about you. Might be a weird perspective but it's one I have found to be valid.

Here's a thought, instead of being in a rush why not leave early like everyone else?

That means waking up earlier. **** that.

I was standing at a cross walk waiting for the light to turn green. A guy plows right through me, pushing me into a father holding his baby. Let's call him freight train. The father understandably yells at me cause he thought I pushed him on purpose. I try to apologize, meanwhile freight train is on the other side of the street already.

Anywhere else in the world, freight train was rude for plowing through me. But according to this thread in NYC, time is money so he was being polite by saving himself time, and my rude is your polite. So he must be one of the nicest people cause he knows how to live in close proximity with others and he's a dreamer.

Unwritten rule of NYC is if there are no cars coming, you cross the street. Don't be a slave to the stop light.

There's a comedy show on Netflix called Colin Quinn the NYC Story or something like that. He mentions stuff like the your rude is our polite and how apparently NYC got that from the German immigrants (apparently Germans have a no-nonsense, to the point, type of attitude).

There is nothing more infuriating than slow walkers. What's worse is if the slow walkers don't stay to the right.

Unwritten rule of NYC is if there are no cars coming, you cross the street. Don't be a slave to the stop light.

There's a comedy show on Netflix called Colin Quinn the NYC Story or something like that. He mentions stuff like the your rude is our polite and how apparently NYC got that from the German immigrants (apparently Germans have a no-nonsense, to the point, type of attitude).

There is nothing more infuriating than slow walkers. What's worse is if the slow walkers don't stay to the right.

What's the deal with biking through red lights in manhattan when you have a road bike on the road? It seems like it's 50-50 on peeps that wait for green and peeps that plow through the red if no traffic.

One thing I like in Manhattan is when you bump into people you don't have the expectation of saying "sorry" or "whoops" just no one cares and keeps moving on in silence like nothing happened with no hurt feelings.

And that the opposite of love isn't anger, it's apathy.

I am going to attempt to make a transitive property type argument. You say that apathy is the opposite of love. You also describe how you enjoy the total apathy people in Manhattan have towards one another, even when they bump into each other. So it would seem that people in Manhattan do NOT love each other, by your definition.

How did I do?

Reactions: 3 users
I am going to attempt to make a transitive property type argument. You say that apathy is the opposite of love. You also describe how you enjoy the total apathy people in Manhattan have towards one another, even when they bump into each other. So it would seem that people in Manhattan do NOT love each other, by your definition.

How did I do?

My mind was just blown

What's the deal with biking through red lights in manhattan when you have a road bike on the road? It seems like it's 50-50 on peeps that wait for green and peeps that plow through the red if no traffic.

Oh I hate bicycle riders. They are the scum of the Earth.

I don't get the appeal of NYC. Maybe for young people who want lively city and meet alot of people but you can get these in other places.
  • Winters are bitterly cold. The Summer can be hot and humid.
  • High COL - most will never own a house even if you make 6 figures. Most will live in a shoebox size apartment
  • Subway is overcrowded. I can't imagine how to buy Costco groceries riding the subway or buy furniture/appliances
  • Parking is a nightmare. Most don't own a car
  • #1 target for tourism
  • Rude people
  • I saw more rats in my 1 week vacation in NYC than a lifetime in CA.
  • Not much of a social life if you spent so much time making money to pay bills.

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I enjoy living in NY. Keep in mind that NYC doesn't just mean Manhattan. There are 4 other boroughs that are much more affordable and access to the city usually means a short train ride (either the LIRR or subway). Yes, COL is terribly high and a single pharmacist income really doesn't amount to much. However, the trade off for me, personally, is the access to various different food options. Not saying other cities don't have great options but I'd imagine NY has more variety to offer than say Cleveland, OH (I did enjoy the food there not gonna lie) or other lower COL places. And idk about people being rude. I think it's a perspective thing. Some people think not smiling means being rude so if you're use to general friendliness New Yorkers do come off as cold and rude. NY is all about giving people mental personal space despite being overcrowded. It's a mind your own business type of place. So if you're expecting friendly "hellos" or exchange of pleasantries, you'll probably be disappointed.

And to answer OP's question, when I graduated in 2016 the offer was ~120k. I can only imagined the offer is much lower now and the actual hours offered is also lower.

I just love how food keeps coming up as a reason.

You want to live in New York? Have fun working well into your 60s. There's absolutely no reason to live in high COL areas.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't get the appeal of NYC. Maybe for young people who want lively city and meet alot of people but you can get these in other places.
  • Winters are bitterly cold. The Summer can be hot and humid.
  • --- Winters are not that cold. NYC is kept temperate due to it's location near the Atlantic ocean
  • High COL - most will never own a house even if you make 6 figures. Most will live in a shoebox size apartment
  • ---live for free in your car. street parking is free in Manhattan in many places althought ASP is a pain
  • Subway is overcrowded. I can't imagine how to buy Costco groceries riding the subway or buy furniture/appliances
  • ---Many people pay online services to buy groceries for them. also why make food when you can buy food already made
  • Parking is a nightmare. Most don't own a car
  • ---parking is not that bad. alternative side parking takes a while to learn
  • #1 target for tourism
  • --i think you meant terrorist not tourism
  • Rude people
  • I saw more rats in my 1 week vacation in NYC than a lifetime in CA.
  • Not much of a social life if you spent so much time making money to pay bills.

How did I do?
Checkmate! you got me owlgrad. Well played! *stares deeply at empty bottle of beer in contemplation *

Worse than slow walkers is the people that don't stand to the right on escalators. If you are walking on an escalator you stay to the left if you are standing it's stand to the right to make room for walkers. Luckily I have been educating people about this for the last five years and i'm finally starting to see people learn the correct manners.

Can't believe I'm reading a thread where a guy who lives in his car is touting the benefits of high COL cities. And then, the same guy accused someone else of trolling. What is happening in this thread.

Reactions: 5 users
Worse than slow walkers is the people that don't stand to the right on escalators. If you are walking on an escalator you stay to the left if you are standing it's stand to the right to make room for walkers. Luckily I have been educating people about this for the last five years and i'm finally starting to see people learn the correct manners.

I don't like it when people just use it as a mechanism to be lazy, I'll walk up the escalator either side but the people who use it to just stand there and wait until it gets them to the top drives me insane.

Same for the moving walkways at the airport, those are to enhance speed. Have you ever ran full speed down one of those? It's so damn fun until you collide with some dingus just standing there with their luggage all around them.
If you're daring, run down the moving walkway at full speed, and jump when you get to the end, see if you can make it to the next moving walkway in that one jump.

I don't like it when people just use it as a mechanism to be lazy, I'll walk up the escalator either side but the people who use it to just stand there and wait until it gets them to the top drives me insane.

Pretty sure that's why they made escalators.

- NYC is cold. It was in the 30F when I visited in March. Niagra Fall was still frozen when I visited
- Food in NYC is pricey. Healthy food is probably even more expensive. Why pay for food delivery or grocery delivery when you can prepare cheaper and healthier meal.
- Alternative parking isn't bad but when you live near NYC, parking and driving in the city is worst than LA.
- Live for free in your car? Can't you do that anywhere?
- Yeah I mean #1 target for terrorims

NYC is nice to visit but I can't imagine living there and deal with all the inconvenience and high COL just for city life. NYC pizza is great though.

- NYC is cold. It was in the 30F when I visited in March. Niagra Fall was still frozen when I visited
- Food in NYC is pricey. Healthy food is probably even more expensive. Why pay for food delivery or grocery delivery when you can prepare cheaper and healthier meal.
- Alternative parking isn't bad but when you live near NYC, parking and driving in the city is worst than LA.
- Live for free in your car? Can't you do that anywhere?
- Yeah I mean #1 target for terrorims

NYC is nice to visit but I can't imagine living there and deal with all the inconvenience and high COL just for city life. NYC pizza is great though.
Not in the desert area... Try to sleep in 100F degree at night. You need a mild/cold weather to sleep in your car.

Wow. I make like 5 million dollars in NYC dollars.

How can you “have a zip code” if you live in your car? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
By fabricating things for attention. Lol.
Also, there is zero chance of anyone living in a car on the upper West side.
Absolutely zero.

Cool calculator, I would need a $300,000 salary to maintain my quality of life in NY. No thanks!

I really don't understand the appeal of LA or NYC. At least LA has beautiful weather to offset the high COL. Nor do I get this belief that LA and NYC offers stuff that can't be found in any other major city. Sure, if one is in a specific industry like Wall Street or acting in movies, but not for pharmacists.

Live someone where else, enjoying all the quality of life a lower COL offers, and vacation in LA or NYC.

Is that per a lifetime or per multiple lifetimes? thanks asking for a friend
Per year. If I want good Italian food, I can fly to Italy with all of my money saved by paying 12% of the NYC housing costs.

Cool calculator, I would need a $300,000 salary to maintain my quality of life in NY. No thanks!

I really don't understand the appeal of LA or NYC. At least LA has beautiful weather to offset the high COL. Nor do I get this belief that LA and NYC offers stuff that can't be found in any other major city. Sure, if one is in a specific industry like Wall Street or acting in movies, but not for pharmacists.

Live someone where else, enjoying all the quality of life a lower COL offers, and vacation in LA or NYC.

That video above could be said about New York in 1977 or 2007.

It's hard to describe, but there is something about living around people like @Sparda29 and @ChalupaBatman86. It's not just for the culture, it's for the encounters. There's a microsociety that can be had for everyone, and those two cities, the opportunity is limitless, with the downsides being what you see. If you're a person that's not prone to living in a city, where any place is like every place (try most suburbs in the US), then that appeal never works. NYC and LA QoL comes from being the premier cities rather than material cost of living, and you do pay through the nose for it. But NYC in particular is like no where else in the world, not even the US.

It's hard to describe, but there is something about living around people like @Sparda29 and @ChalupaBatman86. It's not just for the culture, it's for the encounters. There's a microsociety that can be had for everyone, and those two cities, the opportunity is limitless, with the downsides being what you see. If you're a person that's not prone to living in a city, where any place is like every place (try most suburbs in the US), then that appeal never works. NYC and LA QoL comes from being the premier cities rather than material cost of living, and you do pay through the nose for it. But NYC in particular is like no where else in the world, not even the US.
I am giving it a hard time but I can definitely understand this. Much like living here isn't for everyone - and I'm glad it isn't! Different strokes and all.

I am giving it a hard time but I can definitely understand this. Much like living here isn't for everyone - and I'm glad it isn't! Different strokes and all.

Likewise. I find that I am getting more misanthropic as I age. I used to have a classist joke about how pharmacist career lifespans are inversely proportional to the number of Medicaid patients until I figured out that you could leave ou the Medicaid and then the joke's on me.

That video above could be said about New York in 1977 or 2007.

I could probably become super rich by opening an authentic NYC pizza place in some random Southern state. Make it open 24/7, design it in a way so it's all NYC nostalgic with subway signs, pictures of mafiosos, etc.

My girlfriend has only been in the USA for 3 years. She told me she doesn't like pizza. I was flabbergasted until I learned that the only pizza she has had so far is Dominos and Papa Johns.

My cousins....both SOCAL kids from birth beat feet out of the LA basin because they could no longer stand it...As far as NYC...well, I have a faux Patek Phillip that an airline guy bought me on a layover for 10 bucks..and also warned me to stay away..they say it's getting better..but I placed it firmly in flyover territory...strikes me as a very pathological venue.....