AZCOM clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on the preceptorship set up. I know that it makes sense in someways but the way it was presented at the interview reeked of propaganda.

Was wondering if it is possible to do most of the rotations outside of AZ (like, all except for a couple say), and if it is possible to do 8 weeks surg, 8 weeks of IM in 3rd year and have more elective time in 4th year. Are they very flexible?

Anyone have the answers? Aloha Kid?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear yah Jim Jones,

Yes you can do 8 weeks of surgery but you have to use up your elective 4 weeks by choosing surgery again to make it 8 weeks

The problem is that since you use up your 4 weeks for surgery again, you won't have any elective time to chose 4 weeks of Internal Med again to make Internal Med 8 weeks. For the third year you only get 4 elective weeks. Use it wisely. The fourth year is different. Way more elective time.

Oh! for your info, there is an option for students who don't want to spend so much time rotating in OB/GYN. You can cut down on the number of weeks you spend in that rotation and spend it in peds. I think this a new policy.

Don't worry too much about things. During your third year you are out there to get educated. That comes very first in the grand scheme of things. You still need to pass step 2 of the boards and you want to be fairly competent in all areas.

By the time your 4th year rolls around you can really start to focus on what you want to do. Either surgery of Internal Med if I'm reading you right. Hopefully by then you will know what you want to do and choose one that will fit into your elective time.

I would suggest not commiting to something this very moment. You'll have lots of time to think about what you want to do in medical school. Don't worry about having 8 weeks of IM or surgery. You may find out you want to be an OB/GYN. The schedule is flexible enought that you can work with it. Every year, it gets better because more students run through the system and give their input on how to improve it. AZCOM does a good job of meeting the students wants and needs. The university is run by business people who are very consumer oriented.

One more thing, don't worry about internal medicine residencies. If you want IM, then you should have no problems finding one. They are fairly easy to come by becasue of the number of slots available. As far as surgery goes, AZCOM has put out its fair number as well. Take comfort in reading the statistics.

You can spend as much time as you like out of AZ your 4th year. You can only spend 6 months out of AZ your 3rd year unless your circumstances do not allow it.

The best advice I could give you is to trust your gut and heart when picking a school. When all the logic is put into place, you have to trust your instincts when deciding.

One last thing, CALL THE ROTATION OFFICE UP and ask them questions. Those poor people are bored to death. Give them something to fret about. Tell them who you are and ask them questions.

Aloha kid- you are a wealth of information! I really appreciate your input. I have a question from what you wrote- i'm calling the rotations office monday on this one- but, do you only have 4 weeks of elective your 4th year? I don't know why i was under the impression we would get more. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
A little clarification on rotations.
1. There are 11 rotation "blocks" in the third year (four weeks each). Ten are your "core" or mandatory rotations, one is an elective.
2. Of the 11 rotations, a total of 4 are mandatory in-state rotations. These are when you have "shelf" type exams for the rotations you have completed. Those tend to be the blocks 1,4,7 and 10. Another 4 are slated for you to take out of state rotations if you wish. You can select these from the 7 blocks that are not mandatory in-state.
3. There are only 4 core rotations in your fourth year. Most are electives.
4. I would not call but e-mail the clinical education department. You received a list of people in your admissions packet to contact, use these. That I know of, they are very good about e-mailing replies to questions. The current second years are getting ready to sign up for their 3rd year clinicals so the clinical ed. dept. will be inundated with things to do, plus they will be grading our last set of exams this week!
Hopefully this helps, it's awesome that you guys are enthusiastic now, but save some of it for the start of school :D :D :D Best of luck. :cool: :cool: :cool:

One last thing. Remember what I posted above is what is policy for now (up to the current 2nd year class). This all may change by the time you are third years (when I started, any and all third year rotations were allowed out of state).

Was wondering if one could do 3rd and 4th year rotations in the allopathic hospitals around the pheonix area, eg Maricopa, Mayo-Scotsdale, etc. Those with residency programs would take students, right? How feasable/ difficult is this?
Thanks.

Hi,

Chances are slim in the third year, but very possible in the 4th year. I have done rotations in IM and SICU at Mayo and Maricopa. Good Samaritan, the VA, and St. Joe's have many of my classmates rotating through their departments right now.
I think the reason the hospitals are not accessible to our third years is because they take U of A students doing their third year core rotations. These hospitals have had a long standing affiliation with the U of A, but again I wouldn't worry because all of these things may change.
When the first class started their 3rd and 4th year rotations, not one of these hospitals took our students. Now, we not only have 4th year students rotating through the departments but we have graduates as residents in some of these programs!
Believe me, I do understand your concerns, I had the same ones but I have seen a lot change in the time I've been at AZCOM and most of it has been for the better. Good luck in the decision making process!