This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishrfriendsnotfood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Considering doing a BA in Chemistry ... Does it look unfavorable to not get a BS? Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

UC Davis?
Dude, handful of science majors are awarded B.A. at my institution. I think Astrophysic and Physics are also B.A.
It goes to show that it really doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis?
Dude, handful of science majors are awarded B.A. at my institution. I think Astrophysic and Physics are also B.A.
It goes to show that it really doesn't matter.
not a UC, but i get the point regardless. Thank you!

Hello,

Considering doing a BA in Chemistry ... Does it look unfavorable to not get a BS? Thank you so much
I got a BA in chemistry ~2009. Didn't want to take the calculus based physics or the extra P chem class required for the BS. I can't say anyone has brought it up in the intervening med school application process, residency application process, fellowship application process, or job application process.

Reactions: 2 users
For medical school apps, no it won’t matter. Perhaps for in a job search as a chemist it might.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
A LOT of my classmates realized that a “Pre-Optometry” Bachelor’s at my school was way easier than “pre-medical focus.”

Nobody cares what it is. It’s a checkbox.

I will say Chem or Biochem probably sounds better than Bio.

It doesn't matter. Even if you were looking to get a job for a few years before going off to med school, nobody is going to care about your BA versus BS. They're more interested in your experience and what skills you have.

I agree what someone said that for med school it will not matter (and prob for any graduate/professional school) but if you end up changing paths the B.S. will open more doors for jobs

I agree what someone said that for med school it will not matter (and prob for any graduate/professional school) but if you end up changing paths the B.S. will open more doors for jobs

In the job world, people care more about your experience than a one letter difference on your diploma. You'll rarely see jobs that list "B.S." as a requirement but even then, you won't be turned away if you apply with a B.A. with adequate experience/skills.

In the job world, people care more about your experience than a one letter difference on your diploma. You'll rarely see jobs that list "B.S." as a requirement but even then, you won't be turned away if you apply with a B.A. with adequate experience/skills.
very true, although I'm thinking for entry level it could only help to have the B.S.

very true, although I'm thinking for entry level it could only help to have the B.S.

I think the help of a BS vs. BA is very minor, if it exists at all. But having a BA isn't going to shut any doors for you - all that really matters in any industry is experience. If you have a skillset, you're qualified for the job no matter what that one letter difference is.

Take whichever one you prefer. I did a BA-like version of my science degree because I didn’t want to take more taught lab courses than I absolutely had to ( I generally found them to be a complete waste of time compared to actually working in a lab ), otherwise did most of the coursework associated with the BS anyways. At the end of the day, it won’t matter for med school (or even grad school).