This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rssr2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it goes, so I am a college freshman now and I am not doing so well, as the title suggests. I have tried absolutely every study method (probably not, but I still have been trying different ways of studying all the time). But so basically, the problem is that I really, truly do understand the concepts in bio and chem courses, I just really have a hard time with tests. I complete 150+ practice problems of chem, and for bio there aren't many resources that match the exams (besides going to office hours and talking to the prof. themselves). Personally, the first semester my grades dropped last minute, and although that is no excuse, if it matters they all dropped half a letter grade, calc was expected to be an A-)

1st sem- GPA 3.168
Intro to bio- B
Chem 1- B
Calc-B
Freshman sem- A-

Now for sem 2, I thought I'd do better but I haven't been even though I am enjoying and understanding the concepts. At this rate, my projected grades are as follows...

(My school doesn't curve)

2nd sem
Eukaryotic cell- C-
Chem 2- C
Logic- A
Psych- A- (I believe I can get this to an A, this is just what I have now).

I know med schools like to see improvement, and my personal mantra is that my grades should match my knowledge, but they really don't in my opinion, which in addition to the thought of burning out, just raises my anxiety. I spend hours and hours on end studying, and I am just not getting the results I want. So I was just wondering that...

1. Is there still hope for med school?
2. Should I retake the courses?
3. If you have any tips?

I really want to do medicine, and I don't want to sound like another sob story stating that I've been aiming to do medicine since the 5th grade (an actual fact about me). I want to work hard, I want to absorb all this information, I want to do well, and I want to help others with this knowledge. Afterall, what I remember could essentially save someone's life. To me, medicine is the most ethical category of careers, and something I can see myself doing, and nothing makes me any more interested than the human body itself. That being said, I can also see why "daydream talk" has no place without a good record of performance.
I mean if I can do a simple exam as an undergrad, how can I expect to do well on the MCAT or exams in medschool.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You are nowhere near the point of no return. It's fine. BUT, you need to evaluate yourself and try to figure out why your grades are the way they are. You need to figure out the efficiency of your studying, the methods through which you study, the weaknesses you have on tests, labs, etc. Only you can fix these issues. Do not retake any courses yet. Maybe hold off on taking organic, but I wouldn't retake.

Status
Not open for further replies.