Bay Area Locum market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamil

Reaction score
I work full time in a hospital in the Midwest however for family reasons I have to move to the Bay Area. I was considering locums for a starter for flexibility and to learn more about the area/market. I was wondering what would be the average rate and how to reach out to hospital groups (I would prefer to cut the middle man aka recruiters out )
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are prepared to pay 4million for a house....

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, it is not a matter of choice but I am moving there for family reasons. I would really appreciate any answers for the questions in my post above.

Look at bay area housing costs first before doing anything
Christ.

15 minutes outside of downtown Minneapolis for $1M

15 minutes outside of downtown SF for the same price

Seems like you need to be able to drop at least $2M on housing in the Bay Area before you start living what most people would consider upper middle class. $2M buys you a very nice property out there, and I'd guess most people just accept that they are investing in real estate instead of the stock market. Probably explains why housing is so messed up. When half your NW is tied up in your primary residence my guess is that you become a horrendous NIMBY pretty quickly, just hoping the housing market keeps returning at least 7%.

Reactions: 4 users
Christ.

Seems like you need to be able to drop at least $2M on housing in the Bay Area before you start living what most people would consider upper middle class. $2M buys you a very nice property out there, and I'd guess most people just accept that they are investing in real estate instead of the stock market. Probably explains why housing is so messed up. When half your NW is tied up in your primary residence my guess is that you become a horrendous NIMBY pretty quickly, just hoping the housing market keeps returning at least 7%.

LOL wow can't imagine paying a mil for that piece of ****
but at least you can star gaze in that concrete square

Reactions: 1 user
Christ.

I'll take the townhome in a walkable area right off of Mission St over that desperate, soulless, car-dependent McMansion any day of the week.

Christ.

I read somewhere someone was renting out their backyard for 3K/month to some tech workers. Tents not included.

I work full time in a hospital in the Midwest however for family reasons I have to move to the Bay Area. I was considering locums for a starter for flexibility and to learn more about the area/market. I was wondering what would be the average rate and how to reach out to hospital groups (I would prefer to cut the middle man aka recruiters out )
Thanks

Well, I appreciate all the comments. If it wasn’t for family I would just do my touristic visits and never moved there but again not a matter of choice. Probably I will end up renting though I will pay 3-4 times what I pay now for a similar space. I still wonder how that level of expense is reflected on the hourly rate of locums

Reactions: 1 users
It's always a choice. Kinda like how you're choosing not to live there right now

Christ.

The first step is accepting you are NOT upper middle class in the Bay Area. Only then can the enlightenment begin.

For OP, if you’re willing to be a bit further out there’s good locums opportunities right now. I’ve gotten contacted by places in Napa, Sonoma, Sacramento area but nothing much in the immediate area.

The first step is accepting you are NOT upper middle class in the Bay Area. Only then can the enlightenment begin.

For OP, if you’re willing to be a bit further out there’s good locums opportunities right now. I’ve gotten contacted by places in Napa, Sonoma, Sacramento area but nothing much in the immediate area.
Good, what hourly rates do they offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks
What @ambiturner is saying is true. If you head more towards Central Valley there are more options, but at that point you're talking 2 hrs away from Bay Area proper and likely working for some corporate entity. You can always try to negotiate rates but I would say low end is going to be 150/hr and if you're saavy you may find $250-300?

I wouldn't blow off what could be seen as sarcastic comments from above because it IS ABSOLUTELY expensive. Let me assume that the "family reason" is to take care of a loved one. It quite honestly could be more cost effective to bring them to you as it could also be cheaper to take care of them in the midwest. Now, it could absolutely be "partner got an unbelievable job" or "partner just signed with the 49ers". Ok sure, different situation. Sometimes if the sig other gets a great job then you just have to bite that bullet. If neither of those are the case and you "just want to be close to mom/dad"......seriously, take that midwest doctor money and buy the a house around the block.

Christ.

All of this.

All keep in mind that the “good practices” (which usually equals better rate and fairness) work by word of mouth. Why? Because these practices have worked long to establish relationships that could be tarnished very quickly by bringing on someone who isn’t vetted. That’s not to say you aren’t good at anesthesia but if you wonder why “cold calling” may not get you far, this is usually the reason. The AMCs will take any breathing body…..but that’s usually for a reason

I live in the Bay Area and although I get multiple locums emails daily, I don't believe I've ever seen one for what anyone would call the "bay area." It's simply too popular a place to live not to be flooded with people taking regular jobs, so the need for locums is minimal. As others have said, Sacramento and parts east are a different story. Why not go straight to the source? There are a million google-able locums companies. Find one and ask.

I'll take the townhome in a walkable area right off of Mission St over that desperate, soulless, car-dependent McMansion any day of the week.
Fair. The point wasn't to contrast an ideal situation with a horrible one, just that you get far more house and space for your money. If you have a wife and kids and a busy career, you really don't want a 2 BR, 1Ba fixer upper. Something with room for a whole family will cost you at least $1.5M, probably closer to $2M. Either that or you're looking at a super long commute and even more car time than before.

Neither of these situations is ideal. Fittingly, both of them are the fault of NIMBYs.

I wouldn't want to move to SF. Walkable or not, there's an app that literally tracks where there's poop on the street, and I hear it's quite active. Doesn't sound like OP has a choice though. I have no input on locums rates, but based on what's been said here and what you can find on Transparent California (and assuming most community physicians make more than UCSF profs) it seems like employed does significantly better.

Fair. The point wasn't to contrast an ideal situation with a horrible one, just that you get far more house and space for your money. If you have a wife and kids and a busy career, you really don't want a 2 BR, 1Ba fixer upper. Something with room for a whole family will cost you at least $1.5M, probably closer to $2M. Either that or you're looking at a super long commute and even more car time than before.

Neither of these situations is ideal. Fittingly, both of them are the fault of NIMBYs.

I wouldn't want to move to SF. Walkable or not, there's an app that literally tracks where there's poop on the street, and I hear it's quite active. Doesn't sound like OP has a choice though. I have no input on locums rates, but based on what's been said here and what you can find on Transparent California (and assuming most community physicians make more than UCSF profs) it seems like employed does significantly better.
All facts, can't argue with that

That's not "the Mission" you're thinking of....trust me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
LOL sure, that's hilarious

I can't say that 5372 sq ft McMansion on 0.81 acres really appeals to me, but it takes a special kind of mental illness to claim to prefer that 1000 sq ft dump in that neighborhood because "cars" ... :)

You should see what people are paying 2 million for
The bay area is amazing

I just looked up the house my family rented in Wlanut Creek for about a year in 1987 when our house in Benicia was being built. Nice neighborhood, but fairly small. Tiny lot. Built in the 1950s.

$2.4M today. House a couple doors down listed currently for $4M.

The bay area is amazing

I just looked up the house my family rented in Wlanut Creek for about a year in 1987 when our house in Benicia was being built. Nice neighborhood, but fairly small. Tiny lot. Built in the 1950s.

$2.4M today. House a couple doors down listed currently for $4M.
Yep. Lovely place with lovely weather but that's a lot of money and it's going to take a lot of locums shifts to cover that mortgage.

Don’t forget to download the “SnapCrap” phone app so you can quickly report the poop on the sidewalks as you’re walking around in paradise!

LOL sure, that's hilarious

I can't say that 5372 sq ft McMansion on 0.81 acres really appeals to me, but it takes a special kind of mental illness to claim to prefer that 1000 sq ft dump in that neighborhood because "cars" ... :)
Different strokes for different folks. I’m just saying that car dependent exurbs are not for me. I find I’m happier the more time I’m able to spend outside, so I enjoy being able to walk or bike to places. Then again, SF isn’t some Mecca of walkability/bike ability, and I probably wouldn’t pick either one if I had a choice. Amsterdam or Taipei would be nice.

And for the record, I probably am mentally illin and chillin, at least on the depressed side of things 🤠 Maybe exurbs are nice for people on the antisocial side of things (makes sense for military)

Yeah I love having a jacket on in the morning and t shirt in the afternoon every day as I step over piles of human excrement and dodge between tent cities.

It's hard to recruit here due to how unaffordable housing is. The only people who are interested either have significant family ties to the Bay Area or whose partners work in tech. Also a hard pill to swallow that some 25 year old engineers can make more than us in FAANG and unicorn startups.

I recently visited SF, probably will never go back, don’t care for it.

When I lived there itwas hands down best place in the USA from my perspective.

It’s been destroyed by tech. Couldn’t convince me to go back.

Thanks
Since noone else is replying to your question and instead if giving unsolicited lifestyle location advice...

Central Valley up through Stockton
250-300/hr
paid insurance, housing, car, malpractice
guaranteed 8-10-12 hour shifts
+/- some rotational in house call for trauma or OB
In San Fran itself, I suppose its 180-220/hr

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Since noone else is replying to your question and instead if giving unsolicited lifestyle location advice...

250-300/hr

Good luck!
Though I appreciate every input to the thread, but it was really great to find a direct comment that addresses the main point of the thread . Many thanks @Zekchar

250-300/hr

Good luck!

Central valley is not bay area...

Well, I appreciate all the comments. If it wasn’t for family I would just do my touristic visits and never moved there but again not a matter of choice. Probably I will end up renting though I will pay 3-4 times what I pay now for a similar space. I still wonder how that level of expense is reflected on the hourly rate of locums
Probably $225-250/hr. PM me and I can connect you to a practice. I am not a recruiter

Anesthesiology is annually in the top third of physician salaries by specialty. If we can’t make it there how do the rest of them? Insane…

Anesthesiology is annually in the top third of physician salaries by specialty. If we can’t make it there how do the rest of them? Insane…

We eat and live somewhat better than the lower paid specialties and ordinary folks. Even in San Fransisco.

How do taxi drivers, waiters, cooks, secretaries make it?

Lower your expectations. It is The Price of living in urban paradise.

We eat and live somewhat better than the lower paid specialties and ordinary folks. Even in San Fransisco.

How do taxi drivers, waiters, cooks, secretaries make it?

Lower your expectations. It is The Price of living in urban paradise.
Yeah right, an urban paradise with poop patrol.

Could be parents are getting old, need help and don’t want to leave all their loved ones behind to move to OP. Or could be dying.
Honestly for me, I would hire them some help if that were the case if they weren’t fighting end stage disease.

Could be parents are getting old, need help and don’t want to leave all their loved ones behind to move to OP. Or could be dying.
Honestly for me, I would hire them some help if that were the case if they weren’t fighting end stage disease.

I was thinking the elderly parents have a shed or an extra bedroom where OP can live.

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I just rec'd a recruiting email for the MAC practice at John Muir in Walnut Creek (east bay suburb that would be considered "bay area"). Not locums, but they're advertising 500-600K and a start-day bonus. Now, in full disclosure, this USED to be one of the most desirable private practices in the state and since selling, they've had to recruit. Still, the number is pretty good for the area. PM me if you want me to try to forward this info on to you.

I just rec'd a recruiting email for the MAC practice at John Muir in Walnut Creek (east bay suburb that would be considered "bay area"). Not locums, but they're advertising 500-600K and a start-day bonus. Now, in full disclosure, this USED to be one of the most desirable private practices in the state and since selling, they've had to recruit. Still, the number is pretty good for the area. PM me if you want me to try to forward this info on to you.
Isn’t that the one where they did that peds liver that died? On the other thread? Or a different one?

Reactions: 2 users

As it happens, yes.

Is the email for a peds anethesiologist?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

They have 3 listings on Gaswork.

1) Don't underestimate people's net worth outside of their W2 income. Family money is a real thing. Also don't underestimate 2 physician incomes or a spouse that works in tech or VC.
2) People work a lot to make extra income, this includes our specialty and others.
3) People who were in the Bay Area 10 years ago or before got here at the right time, even if it was still expensive at the time. That million dollar house they bought in '09 and we thought "that's wild" now has a value of 3-4 million (depend on where it is). They can still afford their mortgage but if you try to move next door you're coming in a triple or quadruple the mortgage, unless you're rich (see #1)

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out as time progresses because you are basically asking new grads to live in a place on a 400-500k salary, which of course is good money, but the houses cost 3 million dollars or more. As said about, you can ask people to lower their expectations and live in 2b condos that still may cost you 1.8 million or take you chances in an area that's gentrifying.

1) Don't underestimate people's net worth outside of their W2 income. Family money is a real thing. Also don't underestimate 2 physician incomes or a spouse that works in tech or VC.
2) People work a lot to make extra income, this includes our specialty and others.
3) People who were in the Bay Area 10 years ago or before got here at the right time, even if it was still expensive at the time. That million dollar house they bought in '09 and we thought "that's wild" now has a value of 3-4 million (depend on where it is). They can still afford their mortgage but if you try to move next door you're coming in a triple or quadruple the mortgage, unless you're rich (see #1)

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out as time progresses because you are basically asking new grads to live in a place on a 400-500k salary, which of course is good money, but the houses cost 3 million dollars or more. As said about, you can ask people to lower their expectations and live in 2b condos that still may cost you 1.8 million or take you chances in an area that's gentrifying.

In Southern California we have folks moving down from the Bay Area because it’s so “affordable”

Also food for thought…