BCOM vs. LECOM-SH vs. KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ho0v-man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*sigh* I promised myself I'd never make one of these threads, but I've been such a wreck over the whole process my wife actually told me to do so. After a rather stressful cycle because of my late MCAT, I'm happy to say I've walked away with these three and canceled all my other interviews. I think we all know how this goes...

BCOM

Pros:
-Using a curriculum that's already proven itself at other high scoring schools like RVU and TCOM, and it just got implemented KCUMB IIRC.

-Loved the area. Also, my wife and child will love the area. I loved the culture and even loved the food!

-Affiliated with a university. My wife wants to get her PhD and this is the only school she could do it that accepted me.

-Mandatory research. I know I need to do research to get into a competitive residency and while my degree focused heavily on research methodology, I have zero research experience. Not even test tube cleaning.

-Establishing GME for us to rotate through. Not just a bunch of preceptor stuff. We'll apparently be rotating with actual residents.

-I really like the mission. I'm one of those suckers who actually wants to be doctor for altruistic reasons and I feel like I can actually do a lot of "good" here (as cheesy as it sounds).

-The hybrid anatomy lab is the perfect anatomy lab for me. That's just my personal preference.

Cons:
New school. There will be bumps.

-Problems of trying to match from a school no one's heard of (don't how big of issue this really is.)

-Cost of attendance is$63,250. Under health insurance and daycare options it says "variable", so that will tick up. It irks me a little that every other school has a much more detailed COA summary.

-Private loans only for the first two years. These are scaring the piss out of me. I don't have a student loans because I just busted my hump in undergrad to avoid them. I have a really good credit history so maybe these won't be too bad...

LECOM-SH:

Pros:
-Cheapest school. But looking at cost of attendance, not so much as one would expect at 57-65,000/year depending on the year.

-PBL. I love it. I really think this is the best way for me to learn medicine.

-High board scores. As much hate as LECOM gets, they get results.

-I don't live in PA anymore, but I grew up about an hour from Greensburg and most of my family lives in the area.

-Somewhat near a big city if we wanted to do something.

Cons:
-My wife hates PA. I don't think she'd hate it as much as she hates where I grew up in PA (super rural) though.

-Lackluster facilities. I really don't think its that big of a deal.

-Questionable clinical rotations. I think it's probably exaggerated on SDN, but I'm sure it really does happen.

-No research opportunities.

KCOM:

Pros:
-Most established school. Huge alumni base.

-Ultrasound curriculum.

-Nice facilities. 3d printer, endoscopy simulations, ultrasound, the whole shebang.

-Solid clinical network.

Cons:
-Super rural. I'm from a super rural town, but my wife is not. I'm pretty sure if I moved us out here my wife would stab me in the neck.

-Expensive. Holy cow! The tuition doesn't seem like that much at first, but cost of attendance ends up adding up to about $77,000/year!

-Seems even worse for research than LECOM just because it's nowhere close to a city. They have a couple projects going on, but nothing crazy or anything.

So there you have it. I actually started out the cycle kind of "gunning" for KCOM, but I have some concerns about it now. I would feel better about the lack of research at KCOM and LECOM if I actually had a research background. I'm also wondering if the importance of research is over-hyped on SDN. I really like everything about BCOM the most overall, but I'm a little nervous about attending a brand new school. It shows a lot of promise, but promises can be broken...

I think I'd be content at LECOM, and price tag sure is tempting. I think my wife would eventually adjust to it. I'm a little skeptical about being able to do research without a background in it.

I'm pretty sure I'd get a fantastic education at KCOM, but I think my wife would need to buy antidepressants in bulk if we went there.

I think overall I'd be initially happiest at BCOM, but I'm concerned about the long term. The last thing I want is to go to a school and put my family in a bad financial spot just because I liked BCOM over the other two. The finances of all of this are freaking me out so I'm tempted to just go with LECOM.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I always say go to the school that will give you the best education and experience overall. With that being said I say KCOM.

KCOM!! One of the strongest DO programs. (Expensive but I wouldn't be able to turn down that proven track record ) But if you have strong ties to New Mexico maybe bcom? Lecom is pretty cheap and I do work with few docs that went there and it seemed to prepare them well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, overall KCOM is by far the strongest school on that list. The curriculum is pretty tried and true and for the most part is well presented; there are frustrations sometimes, but you get that anywhere you go. The staff and professors are very supportive and approachable. I chose KCOM over a plethora of other acceptances and interview invites and thus far, if I had to do over, I would still make the same decision. It is rural, but if you so choose there are a number of rotation sites in sizable cities, so your wife would really only have to survive the rural for 2 years. Also KCOM is pretty supportive of spouses/significant others. They even had a special part of orientation for them.

KCOM is safest, BCOM is sexiest, LECOM is solid.

Reactions: 1 users
KCOM is safest, BCOM is sexiest, LECOM is solid.

BCOM is in no way sexy.

*sigh* I promised myself I'd never make one of these threads, but I've been such a wreck over the whole process my wife actually told me to do so. After a rather stressful cycle because of my late MCAT, I'm happy to say I've walked away with these three and canceled all my other interviews. I think we all know how this goes...

BCOM

Pros:
-Using a curriculum that's already proven itself at other high scoring schools like RVU and TCOM, and it just got implemented KCUMB IIRC.

-Loved the area. Also, my wife and child will love the area. I loved the culture and even loved the food!

-Affiliated with a university. My wife wants to get her PhD and this is the only school she could do it that accepted me.

-Mandatory research. I know I need to do research to get into a competitive residency and while my degree focused heavily on research methodology, I have zero research experience. Not even test tube cleaning.

-Establishing GME for us to rotate through. Not just a bunch of preceptor stuff. We'll apparently be rotating with actual residents.

-I really like the mission. I'm one of those suckers who actually wants to be doctor for altruistic reasons and I feel like I can actually do a lot of "good" here (as cheesy as it sounds).

-The hybrid anatomy lab is the perfect anatomy lab for me. That's just my personal preference.

Cons:
New school. There will be bumps.

-Problems of trying to match from a school no one's heard of (don't how big of issue this really is.)

-Cost of attendance is$63,250. Under health insurance and daycare options it says "variable", so that will tick up. It irks me a little that every other school has a much more detailed COA summary.

-Private loans only for the first two years. These are scaring the piss out of me. I don't have a student loans because I just busted my hump in undergrad to avoid them. I have a really good credit history so maybe these won't be too bad...

LECOM-SH:

Pros:
-Cheapest school. But looking at cost of attendance, not so much as one would expect at 57-65,000/year depending on the year.

-PBL. I love it. I really think this is the best way for me to learn medicine.

-High board scores. As much hate as LECOM gets, they get results.

-I don't live in PA anymore, but I grew up about an hour from Greensburg and most of my family lives in the area.

-Somewhat near a big city if we wanted to do something.

Cons:
-My wife hates PA. I don't think she'd hate it as much as she hates where I grew up in PA (super rural) though.

-Lackluster facilities. I really don't think its that big of a deal.

-Questionable clinical rotations. I think it's probably exaggerated on SDN, but I'm sure it really does happen.

-No research opportunities.

KCOM:

Pros:
-Most established school. Huge alumni base.

-Ultrasound curriculum.

-Nice facilities. 3d printer, endoscopy simulations, ultrasound, the whole shebang.

-Solid clinical network.

Cons:
-Super rural. I'm from a super rural town, but my wife is not. I'm pretty sure if I moved us out here my wife would stab me in the neck.

-Expensive. Holy cow! The tuition doesn't seem like that much at first, but cost of attendance ends up adding up to about $77,000/year!

-Seems even worse for research than LECOM just because it's nowhere close to a city. They have a couple projects going on, but nothing crazy or anything.

So there you have it. I actually started out the cycle kind of "gunning" for KCOM, but I have some concerns about it now. I would feel better about the lack of research at KCOM and LECOM if I actually had a research background. I'm also wondering if the importance of research is over-hyped on SDN. I really like everything about BCOM the most overall, but I'm a little nervous about attending a brand new school. It shows a lot of promise, but promises can be broken...

I think I'd be content at LECOM, and price tag sure is tempting. I think my wife would eventually adjust to it. I'm a little skeptical about being able to do research without a background in it.

I'm pretty sure I'd get a fantastic education at KCOM, but I think my wife would need to buy antidepressants in bulk if we went there.

I think overall I'd be initially happiest at BCOM, but I'm concerned about the long term. The last thing I want is to go to a school and put my family in a bad financial spot just because I liked BCOM over the other two. The finances of all of this are freaking me out so I'm tempted to just go with LECOM.

Thoughts?

KCOM is by far the best school of the three but if you can't stand the area (I don't blame you) its not a good choice. From there you got LECOM and BCOM. Between the two BCOM with their private loans and being a completely unestablished school I would forget that and choose LECOM. You have family in the area, you like the curriculum, and its cheap. Your wife's PHd at nmsu is kind of not that great anyway.

KCOM has not had any problem matching it's students into neurosurgery, plastics, derm, ENT (note: most are AOA but there were still a good handful from what I saw that were ACGME programs) so I don't think it'll limit you. What I bet happens is these students spent a large amount of time at their clinical rotation site as well as a good chunk of 4th year auditioning and doing research at the institution to become competitive so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

FYI, BCOM's GME promise is like any other DO school that opens, they MUST open GME for the students. And the first few classes at BCOM won't be with residents since all of their sites are non-teaching (for now).

Reactions: 1 user
KCOM has not had any problem matching it's students into neurosurgery, plastics, derm, ENT (note: most are AOA but there were still a good handful from what I saw that were ACGME programs) so I don't think it'll limit you. What I bet happens is these students spent a large amount of time at their clinical rotation site as well as a good chunk of 4th year auditioning and doing research at the institution to become competitive so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

FYI, BCOM's GME promise is like any other DO school that opens, they MUST open GME for the students. And the first few classes at BCOM won't be with residents since all of their sites are non-teaching (for now).

How do you know the last part?

If you look at all of the hospital sites available at bcom, none of them have residency programs and the time it will take to establish and recruit residents will take a few years.

Wow! I thought they'd be ready by the time we hit 3rd year.

In regards to your above post ( I can't figure out how to multi quote on my phone) is I'm interested in primary care or other "lower paying" specialties like neurology. I'm scared of massive debt and then wanting the lowest paying fields.

I know I'm an idiot. I think nephrology is cool. That's like pursuing a career in debt!

Edit: So that's why KCOM 's cost scares me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you look at all of the hospital sites available at bcom, none of them have residency programs and the time it will take to establish and recruit residents will take a few years.

In regards to your above post ( I can't figure out how to multi quote on my phone) is I'm interested in primary care or other "lower paying" specialties like neurology. I'm scared of massive debt and then wanting the lowest paying fields.

I know I'm an idiot. I think nephrology is cool. That's like pursuing a career in debt!

I have to intervene here.

The AOA site is showing that some of them are already interviewing for this coming year at Las Cruces (and others for the following year). It is also noted that the programs will allow students to rotate with them. There is also University Medical Center in El Paso. This is where the Texas Tech residents do their training. I can't say anything about ACGME accreditation nor how much of the training will be with residents. However, at least the Las Cruces and El Paso sites will have rotations with residents by the time the first class hits 3rd year.

Well theres always the chance they can open up multiple specialty residencies within the year and then for the next cycle take in residents but you have to remember that recruiting faculty and essentially rennovating a hospital to meet acgme standards takes time. In comparison, KCOM and LECOM SH have clinical sites that have hospitals that have been teaching for decades and understand the ins and outs of medical student clerkship education. So its just less of a risk imo.

The big thing with DO schools is havig as many resources as possible because right now, you may want PC or nephro but in a year or two I can guarantee you may change your mind and you want the school that wont pigeonhole you in any way and has the best resources for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to intervene here.

The AOA site is showing that some of them are already interviewing for this coming year at Las Cruces (and others for the following year). It is also noted that the programs will allow students to rotate with them. There is also University Medical Center in El Paso. This is where the Texas Tech residents do their training. I can't say anything about ACGME accreditation nor how much of the training will be with residents. However, at least the Las Cruces and El Paso sites will have rotations with residents by the time the first class hits 3rd year.

whoops, I didnt catch this. So third year bcom students will be able to rotate at University Hospital under texas tech residency? Is that for sure? Or will they be using a preceptor based model within the hospital?

Well theres always the chance they can open up multiple specialty residencies within the year and then for the next cycle take in residents but you have to remember that recruiting faculty and essentially rennovating a hospital to meet acgme standards takes time. In comparison, KCOM and LECOM SH have clinical sites that have hospitals that have been teaching for decades and understand the ins and outs of medical student clerkship education. So its just less of a risk imo.

The big thing with DO schools is havig as many resources as possible because right now, you may want PC or nephro but in a year or two I can guarantee you may change your mind and you want the school that wont pigeonhole you in any way and has the best resources for you.

So what about the whole research thing? BCOM is the only school with actual research on my list. What is one to do when there aren't any opportunities in house and you don't have a research background? Will you still be able to find opportunities?

So what about the whole research thing? BCOM is the only school with actual research on my list. What is one to do when there aren't any opportunities in house and you don't have a research background? Will you still be able to find opportunities?

Students from kcom and lecom sh find opps on their third and fourth year or go to outside insitutions. In terms of having a hime base for research, bcom def takes the cake there.

whoops, I didnt catch this. So third year bcom students will be able to rotate at University Hospital under texas tech residency? Is that for sure? Or will they be using a preceptor based model within the hospital?

This is tough to say, I am not sure of how many of the rotations will be under residency programs. There are other hospitals that BCOM student will be rotating in at El Paso, so can't confirm all the details. If I recall correctly the majority of the time, if a student is rotating in a hospital with a residency then they will be rotating with the residents (if the respective program is there, unless I am wrong in this assumption).

Students from kcom and lecom sh find opps on their third and fourth year or go to outside insitutions. In terms of having a hime base for research, bcom def takes the cake there.

This is tough to say, I am not sure of how many of the rotations will be under residency programs. There are other hospitals that BCOM student will be rotating in at El Paso, so can't confirm all the details. If I recall correctly the majority of the time, if a student is rotating in a hospital with a residency then they will be rotating with the residents (if the respective program is there, unless I am wrong in this assumption).

Hard to say on my part to. At kcu we get the opportunity to rotate at KU Med Center (University of Kansas) but youre with a preceptor despite being in a large residency based academic hospital.

Either way, if bcom students get to rotate at a place where there are residents, that is a great thing. but wuth the new residencies on board, you can be assured that there aill be minimal overseeing faculty within the clinical departments as the programs develop.

Hard to say on my part to. At kcu we get the opportunity to rotate at KU Med Center (University of Kansas) but youre with a preceptor despite being in a large residency based academic hospital.

Either way, if bcom students get to rotate at a place where there are residents, that is a great thing. but wuth the new residencies on board, you can be assured that there aill be minimal overseeing faculty within the clinical departments as the programs develop.

So if you were in an internal medicine rotation and there is an internal medicine residency. There are those rare moments where you won't rotate with their residents?

So if you were in an internal medicine rotation and there is an internal medicine residency. There are those rare moments where you won't rotate with their residents?
If youre on IM and your site happens to be at KU Med then youll be precpeting and not with the resident team since the resident team is covering their own students from KU med and any students coming to do audition rotations. I think at different sites in KC youll be with residents.

If youre on IM and your site happens to be at KU Med then youll be precpeting and not with the resident team since the resident team is covering their own students from KU med and any students coming to do audition rotations. I think at different sites in KC youll be with residents.

Wow...

To be honest if you want to do Internal medicine residency than don't make research the reason you not go to KCOM. KCOM will give you the best shot at a prestigious internal medicine residency where you can then do your research and get into your nephrology fellowship :)) and it's not like if u go to KCOM you can't ever do research LOL

To be honest if you want to do Internal medicine residency than don't make research the reason you not go to KCOM. KCOM will give you the best shot at a prestigious internal medicine residency where you can then do your research and get into your nephrology fellowship :)) and it's not like if u go to KCOM you can't ever do research LOL

I get that. I'm just not wild about KCOM debt at FM or IM pay. If I was gunning for brain surgery or rads it would be a different story. But even if I was, it doesn't mean I'd get it. After finding out how not competitive I am, I could wind up in FM residency in a shack in the middle of nowhere. At least if I go to LECOM I won't be paying back loans until the end of time when I find out I'm not a rock star.

I get that. I'm just not wild about KCOM debt at FM or IM pay. If I was gunning for brain surgery or rads it would be a different story. But even if I was, it doesn't mean I'd get it. After finding out how not competitive I am, I could wind up in FM residency in a shack in the middle of nowhere. At least if I go to LECOM I won't be paying back loans until the end of time when I find out I'm not a rock star.

This is true. With Lecom tuition I'm sure this is a tough one for u. I wish u the best

Kcom has plenty of research yo. They even let me do summer research credit at a big cancer institute. I had to pull the strings but it is what you make of it.

Reactions: 2 users
*bump*

Hey I hate when these threads never get resolved so I'm updating. I was very close to choosing LECOM, for the price but I finally realized why I wanted KCOM in the first place. I'm accepted pending a seat and if I get it, I'm there!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

*bump*

Hey I hate when these threads never get resolved so I'm updating. I was very close to choosing LECOM, for the price but I finally realized why I wanted KCOM in the first place. I'm accepted pending a seat and if I get it, I'm there!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Glad to see you're finally getting some closure. Just to be clear, you ended up making two deposits and will technically be making a third if you get into your first choice?

Glad to see you're finally getting some closure. Just to be clear, you ended up making two deposits and will technically be making a third if you get into your first choice?

...yep. I hate myself.