2022-2023 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was accepted!! 499 MCAT and 3.45 cGPA. Reapplicant, took the MCAT twice and did a DIY post bacc - don’t give up!!
+1
499 mcat on the 4th try!, 3.4 gpa with post bacc, smp 3.5. third app cycle!! this school is def holistic when it comes to reviewing apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview was originally 3/28 but got it moved to this Friday this morning after being placed on the late-interview cancellation list.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview was originally 3/28 but got it moved to this Friday this morning after being placed on the late-interview cancellation list.
You got this :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Will be cancelling my A. Best of luck to the rest of y'all on the WL or still waiting for good news!

Reactions: 6 users
I was curious as to how many interviewees others had in their interview groups? I know for mine personally there were close to 40

I was curious as to how many interviewees others had in their interview groups? I know for mine personally there were close to 40
Yeah when they said they interview 1000 my heart sank. I also had around 35-40 people in my session 🤯

• Wow
I think I had 21, the last few years from the threads it people said they interviewed 500, so I’m not completely sure how much🥲

I think everything being online after covid now has changed how interviews worked. Most schools used to be very selective about who they gave an interview out to bc realistically, they couldn't accommodate so many potential students. But now with Zoom, they can just cram 40 kids into a meeting and talk about how good the school is. It serves as a free advertising event for the school, barely uses any resources, and gets the school's name out there.

I've seen other schools doing the whole, "interview 1,000+ students" method as well. Its frustrating because you get happy when you get the initial email that you're being considered for a seat bc originally, before COVID, it meant that your chances of getting in are really high since a school's interview pool might've been only 500-600 kids. But with it being almost double if not triple now, it makes me feel like I wouldn't have gotten the actual interview if it was pre-covid and that I'm just there so I can become a new advertising agent for the school lol. I'm open to being told that I'm wrong and if there's a better way of thinking about it, plz let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everything being online after covid now has changed how interviews worked. Most schools used to be very selective about who they gave an interview out to bc realistically, they couldn't accommodate so many potential students. But now with Zoom, they can just cram 40 kids into a meeting and talk about how good the school is. It serves as a free advertising event for the school, barely uses any resources, and gets the school's name out there.

I've seen other schools doing the whole, "interview 1,000+ students" method as well. Its frustrating because you get happy when you get the initial email that you're being considered for a seat bc originally, before COVID, it meant that your chances of getting in are really high since a school's interview pool might've been only 500-600 kids. But with it being almost double if not triple now, it makes me feel like I wouldn't have gotten the actual interview if it was pre-covid and that I'm just there so I can become a new advertising agent for the school lol. I'm open to being told that I'm wrong and if there's a better way of thinking about it, plz let me know.
I think it just depends on the school. Burrell seems to be one of the schools that cram a lot of students in per session for an interview. I think that's in part because Burrell happens to have a bigger class size. I did do an interview yesterday for another school and I only had 12 people in my interview session. It gives me hope that some schools still retain their competitiveness despite covid. Regardless, I find myself not caring how many people are in my interview session because I just care about getting an acceptance

Looks like the Facebook group is already at 219 😳
How many are they selecting for this incoming class?

For those who have already interviewed, is it just one 30 minute interview with 2 interviewers? I have mine tomorrow and I'm low key freaking out.

How many are they selecting for this incoming class?

For those who have already interviewed, is it just one 30 minute interview with 2 interviewers? I have mine tomorrow and I'm low key freaking out.
I'm assuming the class size is going to be ~200 just based on their institutional snap shot.

It was only one 30 min interview with two interviewers like you said. YOU GOT THIS! You'll be fine! You earned this!

I'm assuming the class size is going to be ~200 just based on their institutional snap shot.

It was only one 30 min interview with two interviewers like you said. YOU GOT THIS! You'll be fine! You earned this!
Thank you!

So they only gave access to ur personal statement and secondary? Nothing else? I’m confused if it’s closed or open

So they only gave access to ur personal statement and secondary? Nothing else? I’m confused if it’s closed or open
During our session we were told they only have your essay responses and everything else is closed. So I guess you can call it half open lol

Does anyone know if they send a welcome package or letter in the mail?

Does anyone know if they send a welcome package or letter in the mail?
I read in a previous thread that there is an acceptance letter that comes in the mail too!

Does anyone know if they welcome LOI’s or update letters? It said they did in an email a while back, but can’t remember the specific dates

R on 03/10 interviewed 02/10.

• Care
For everyone that interviews, how do we find out the decision? Do they send you an email with your decision after 3/4 weeks or is smtg made available within our applicant portal? Does it take longer than 3/4 weeks to hear back?

For everyone that interviews, how do we find out the decision? Do they send you an email with your decision after 3/4 weeks or is smtg made available within our applicant portal? Does it take longer than 3/4 weeks to hear back?
I was checking the portal and it didn't update. But the trend has been you'll get an email 4 weeks to the date of your interview

I've seen you on a couple of different threads (hope that doesn't sound creepy LOL), but I'm so happy for you!!!
Haha no I always think that when I see some of the same names pop up! Thank you so much!! It doesn’t feel real and I wish you luck this cycle as well!!

• Love
Kinda random question but to get to this campus, do you have to fly into El Paso...then drive over to Las Cruces?

Kinda random question but to get to this campus, do you have to fly into El Paso...then drive over to Las Cruces?
Yes. On interview day I think they said it's like a 45 min drive.

Anyone know when Burrell’s match data becomes available?

Withdrawing A here soon, good luck everyone <3

They have a video on their FB with a slideshow from their match day event but it doesn’t really show much and it’s poor quality
I'm a fourth year that didnt get to attend the ceremony and I'm also wondering when our data is being put out and I'm annoyed at the video from FB. didnt even get to see myself :rolleyes:

here's what was published on the school website today about our match!

here's what was published on the school website today about our match!
I see the match list on there but not the match rate. The site says 133 students matched, that seems like a low number given the 2022 match had ~150 placements? Anyone know the size of the class of 2023 cohort ?

I see the match list on there but not the match rate. The site says 133 students matched, that seems like a low number given the 2022 match had ~150 placements? Anyone know the size of the class of 2023 cohort ?
i was wondering that too!!

i was wondering that too!!
The attrition and 4-year graduation rate is a little terrifying honestly. But they matched several students into surgery/prelim surgery and had one student match urology. Seems like if you make it through, you’re set up for success