Behavioral Therapy considered clinical experiance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWing5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I provide in home therapy for children that have mental disabilities (Autism, Shaken Baby Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Traumatic Brain Injury). I run programs that include verbal pronounciation, tact training, compliance and attentive skills, social cue skills (we practice having on going conversations, calling for a Dr. appointment, etc) and life skills (brushing teeth, washing hands, tying shoes). I write notes, track and graph behaviors. I work under a BCBA. I have had this job for 2 years now, I love it!

I understand that I need experiance in a hospital setting, shadowing docs, etc. I am just not sure if I should consider this a part of my "clinical experiance." Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that most ADCOMs would consider behavioral therapy 'medical,' but it is a great thing to include on your application under other experiences. Unfortunately, psychiatric care is the black sheep of the medical community. While you and I know how important those things can be, other people don't have the background to really know what you are talking about. Include it, talk it up for all it really meant to you, but make sure you have other clinical experiences to back it up.