This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KamG96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

So I am thinking about taking my MCAT July 8th and should receive my score around a month later. How much weaker will this make my application? How bad is it to be a late applicant? I just want to make sure I have ample time to study for the MCAT before I take it instead of taking it in May right after the semester ends.

Does anyone have experience with this? Have you done this and been accepted?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Your score will be released Aug. 8 which isn't that late in the game. Just make sure that your primary is completed and submitted for verification in early May. AMCAS will release the application to all your schools without the MCAT score. Since most/many schools don't prescreen primaries, you'll start to get secondaries around the time you take the MCAT.The only impact this has on your is that your secondaries won't be marked complete until early August. If this is the only thing holding back your applications, then bravo.

Since you have the time right now, start gathering all your grades, writing your personal statement and experiences. Get it done the first week of May. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Your score will be released Aug. 8 which isn't that late in the game. Just make sure that your primary is completed and submitted for verification in early May. AMCAS will release the application to all your schools without the MCAT score. Since most/many schools don't prescreen primaries, you'll start to get secondaries around the time you take the MCAT.The only impact this has on your is that your secondaries won't be marked complete until early August. If this is the only thing holding back your applications, then bravo.

Since you have the time right now, start gathering all your grades, writing your personal statement and experiences. Get it done the first week of May. Good luck.
You are fantastic thank you so much for the reply. Is their anyway we can private chat for a small amt of time? Just have some questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

AMCAS opens in may, but you can't submit until June

AMCAS opens in may, but you can't submit until June
Yes, that's what I meant. Get everything done in May so you can submit it the first day it opens in June.
You are fantastic thank you so much for the reply. Is their anyway we can private chat for a small amt of time? Just have some questions.
Sure. Go for it.

How efficient are you in the writing process? If you are a slow, laboring writer like I am, it will be tough. Regardless, start your personal statement and most meaningful paragraphs now so you can start pre-writing the secondaries while you are waiting for your MCAT score.

This doesn't sound like it will delay you too bad. FWIW, I had my AMCAS submitted and letters ready to go day 1, but it still takes time for processing and for schools to release their secondaries. I was complete at most schools last week of july/first week of august, and I've had 10 IIs this cycle.

I was able to submit my primary June 2 at 9:01 when it opened at 9:00. And I also took my MCAT June 19th. I have been accepted this cycle. I say this to say that it's doable. You have to be very diligent with your time but it's doable. I wouldn't suggest taking it any later than June because if you need a retake, you'll be pushed back in your cycle, if not pushed into the following cycle.

Edit: You absolutely need to start working on your PS now though; you can even look up the character limit for descriptions of your activities and start banging those out little by little. If you can start breaking this up into smaller portions now, it will make it easier on you when it gets closer to submission.

Last edited:
I think you will be fine. Just give yourself enough time to prepare your primary like others have suggested, and take the MCAT when YOU are ready. An app that is a little late but well prepared with a good MCAT is much better than an early app that isn't done well with a lower MCAT. Good luck!

OP,

I took my MCAT late August, and submitted my primary October. I was complete for most schools late October to mid November, and I was offered seven interview invites. Hopefully, I get some more, but I am grateful I got so many offers.

I was able to submit my primary June 2 at 9:01 when it opened at 9:00. And I also took my MCAT June 19th. I have been accepted this cycle. I say this to say that it's doable. You have to be very diligent with your time but it's doable. I wouldn't suggest taking it any later than June because if you need a retake, you'll be pushed back in your cycle, if not pushed into the following cycle.

Edit: You absolutely need to start working on your PS now though; you can even look up the character limit for descriptions of your activities and start banging those out little by little. If you can start breaking this up into smaller portions now, it will make it easier on you when it gets closer to submission.
What were your stats? Did you take the mcat more than once?

nontrad, 3.11 UG gpa, 3.75 postbac, one mcat retake
so what did the mcat look like? I am contemplating taking mcat earlier but don't feel prepared. The fact that you took mcat twice probably allowed you to complete your app early since even though your retake was june, you were still able to submit your app using the older score, correct? and put the retake under the "update" category. Did you also get into an md school?

so what did the mcat look like? I am contemplating taking mcat earlier but don't feel prepared. The fact that you took mcat twice probably allowed you to complete your app early since even though your retake was june, you were still able to submit your app using the older score, correct? and put the retake under the "update" category. Did you also get into an md school?

So I actually took the old MCAT right after I finished undergrad in 2013 but then I took time off and did not apply at that time. For taking the new one last summer, I chose June because it was gave me enough time after finishing the spring semester. I submitted my primary before I retook (you don't need to have an MCAT score when you submit the primary). When your scores are made available, AMCAS automatically sends them out to the schools you applied to hence there's no need to "update." And yea, I got in an MD program

Last edited:
I've also had success with being complete late after a delayed MCAT. I submitted my primary app in mid June but didn't take the MCAT until Sept 12 so I was complete at schools between mid Oct and early Nov. I have thus far received 5 II, attended 2 already with 1 acceptance and the other decision likely coming next week. I moved, started a new job, and worked on my master's thesis all during the summer which were the major reasons I delayed taking the MCAT so much. It was my first time taking it and I definitely doubled down on myself by not leaving time for a retake if needed, but it was what worked best for me and it has payed off so far.

I've also had success with being complete late after a delayed MCAT. I submitted my primary app in mid June but didn't take the MCAT until Sept 12 so I was complete at schools between mid Oct and early Nov. I have thus far received 5 II, attended 2 already with 1 acceptance and the other decision likely coming next week. I moved, started a new job, and worked on my master's thesis all during the summer which were the major reasons I delayed taking the MCAT so much. It was my first time taking it and I definitely doubled down on myself by not leaving time for a retake if needed, but it was what worked best for me and it has payed off so far.

Congrats to you, I would have been uber stressed out with all you had going on.

Yeah, to the OP, a late MCAT is doable but you're overall profile has to be pretty solid if you're a late submission.

OK that helps immensely. I have taken time off to study but am being pushed by a prospective employer to get started right away. I have barely gotten into the groove and feel that I am not crossing content review as fast as I'd like since I am getting tired or distant really easily. If I rush and take exam, I feel that my score could be up for luck to guess. On top of that I have no shadowing but will be working closely with physicians at job. Is that enough or should I just delay Mcat and work on shadowing and clinical hours?

OK that helps immensely. I have taken time off to study but am being pushed by a prospective employer to get started right away. I have barely gotten into the groove and feel that I am not crossing content review as fast as I'd like since I am getting tired or distant really easily. If I rush and take exam, I feel that my score could be up for luck to guess. On top of that I have no shadowing but will be working closely with physicians at job. Is that enough or should I just delay Mcat and work on shadowing and clinical hours?

Sometimes you gotta just suck it up and study if you really want to.

The process has too much at stake for you to leave so much up to luck. You've got to determine how you can put forth the best application in a reasonable time frame. Shadowing and clinical hours are an important part of the package. What you do with this information is up to you.

I took my MCAT this past July 17th and I've received acceptances to 4 MD schools so not having an MCAT score until August isn't going to kill you!

No difference at all. Hell, most Admissions deans are still on vacation prior to Labor Day!

Hi Everyone!

So I am thinking about taking my MCAT July 8th and should receive my score around a month later. How much weaker will this make my application? How bad is it to be a late applicant? I just want to make sure I have ample time to study for the MCAT before I take it instead of taking it in May right after the semester ends.

Does anyone have experience with this? Have you done this and been accepted?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users