Best course plan to prepare for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anperry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a similar question has been asked before, but I have taken the pre-reqs out of the usual order because of my major.

Here are the classes I've taken so far (I just finished my first semester as freshman):

Calc II
Phys I
Chm I
Eng and Comp I

Where should I go from here in terms of classes (i.e. which should I try to get over the next few semester to prepare best for the MCAT)? Are there any, like anatomy and physiology or biochemistry, that I should try to prioritize taking before Junior Year?

I should mention I was an engineering major (hence the calculus and physics) before switching to biology. I will be taking bio I next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

All of the prerequisite classes. You have some time, don't worry about the mcat yet. Crush your classes and take biochem before the mcat.

All of the prerequisite classes. You have some time, don't worry about the mcat yet. Crush your classes and take biochem before the mcat.
This is good advice. I don't think any coursework you do outside of the prereq classes will have a significant impact on the MCAT. You'll learn way more for your classes than you need to know for the MCAT as it is. There isn't any significant A&P on the MCAT, so that's not going to help you.

Almost all of your MCAT knowledge will come from the time you spend preparing for the MCAT specifically, not from undergraduate coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
Almost all of your MCAT knowledge will come from the time you spend preparing for the MCAT specifically, not from undergraduate coursework.
Seconded. I used the Kaplan book set to prepare for my MCAT, and the information contained in those books was honestly pretty good preparation for the MCAT for me. I think I learned pretty much everything I needed to know from the books, but taking most pre-reqs before the test obviously supplemented this preparation.

Reactions: 1 user