Biochem as an acceptable substitute for Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brightlight3

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question regarding Biochem substituting for Orgo II for medical school admissions. If I took Orgo I with Lab and did Biochem I, would I need to have a lab component in order to fulfill the medical school requirements or would it be acceptable to just have the lab for Orgo I with a Biochem class?
 
Nearly every school I applied to (if not all of them) required both Orgo 1 and 2 with lab AND a semester of Biochem. So no, you couldn't in any way replace Orgo 2 with Biochem - they were separate requirements.

ETA - Biochem did not have to have a lab component.
 
Last edited:
Depends upon your school list. It really varies. Your proposition works for WashU. UPitt on the other hand still requires a full year of orgo as well as a semester of Biochem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The answer to this is likely to be highly school-dependent. Does your university have a biochem lab? Most schools I know of do not (at least below graduate level), and I doubt med schools would be expecting you have biochem lab on your transcript. Columbia has a nice list of requirements by school, and whether substitution is acceptable (it may be a few years out of date) but unfortunately I can't post links - you can find it by Googling "columbia Medical School Requirements FINAL.pdf"
 
Just contact each school individually. I had the same issues and the answer was very school-dependent. Some would accept the substitution while others would not.
 
A lot of schools do allow that, but more every year require a full year of orgo with 1 semester biochem. i'd take orgo ii unless you were terrible at the first semester and cannot get a good grade (B or higher)

edit: Do schools are much more forgiving on this.

You could also apply and plan on taking the class prior to matriculation if you got into a school that didnt allow substituting
 
It really depends on the school. I applied to 18 schools, DO mostly but all of them either don't have an explicit Orgo II requirement or allow biochem sub. (I took medical school biochem, but lab isn't necessary to sub if i'm not mistaken.)