Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
993333_80_triangle.gif
Examination Application and StatusRequest an Application for Initial Certification | Apply for an Examination

yep same here

but when I click on apply for exam it says "The Examinations listed below reflect the available choices you currently have based on your Certification with the ABPN and the examination schedule."

and has pain medicine listed as option

Members don't see this ad :)
but when I click on apply for exam it says "The Examinations listed below reflect the available choices you currently have based on your Certification with the ABPN and the examination schedule."

and has pain medicine listed as option
I hope it doesn't mean anything. I see the pain medicine test also. But when I click apply for initial certification told me I have missing documents. Not sure what any of this means.

based on my deductive reasoning, it means you passed exam. because if you look at upcoming board dates only applications available at this time should be general psych board and pain subspecialty. As they open applications only 90 days before deadline and since you are able to select subspecialty exam application it means you have passed initial certification exam.

OK, I had to look up if anyone felt discouraged about the boards! I am generally a good test taker but this one threw me for a loop. Those vignettes! I don't know how you could prepare for them….so subjective! I used BTB and felt it helped somewhat on the stand alones. I read some Kaufman too. Don't really think either of those helped me on neuro dramatically. I feel pretty bad about this one in general. I wonder how they grade it when a lot of those questions were subjective or so close in answer! I was stumped as well with the stand alones a lot too. Felt like I hadn't studied (or seen in residency or practice) what they were asking about! very unfair test (without giving details!)….

I felt the exact same way after my general boards last year AND after my Child boards this year. I know several others who felt the same last year after the exam and we ALL passed. Try not to worry, I'm sure you did fine. If not, just re-take it and pass. The only reason I was nervous if I didn't pass was because I may eventually want to do private forensic work and my worse nightmare is having some attorney come up to me while I'm testifying and say, "So Dr. Chimed, how many times did it take you to pass your boards?" :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No change in my profile. Was hoping to get results tmrw cos it will be 9weeks. Maybe before thanksgiving like last year. Anxiety creeping up

based on my deductive reasoning, it means you passed exam. because if you look at upcoming board dates only applications available at this time should be general psych board and pain subspecialty. As they open applications only 90 days before deadline and since you are able to select subspecialty exam application it means you have passed initial certification exam.
I really hope you are right!

I really hope you are right!

I also have the pain subspecialty exam listed but I don't know if that's new, just logged on today.
It does say that "abpn diplomats" are eligible to apply for the exam so I hope that means we passed. Does anyone not have the pain exam as an option?

I also have the register for the pain medicine exam option, under register for an exam, but no change in my profile page....

I also have the register for the pain medicine exam option, under register for an exam, but no change in my profile page....
I called the ABPN and they are sticking to the 12 week timeline for release date but I don't think it means anything, just what they are told to say.
I brought up the change in exam availability on the folio sight and what it implies. She confirmed that you must be certified as a diplomat to apply for a subspecialty exam but recommended that I not apply for that exam (not that I was planning to) until I get notification that I passed the initial exam. She cautioned that she could not say if the exam status indicates passing but she is taking the issue to the IT department.
If nothing else perhaps the speculation will motivate them to release scores sooner.
I think the only way to know if it has any meaning would be to hear of someone who did not have the pain exam option but not something most would want to share if it means bad news.

Last edited:
I called the ABPN and they are sticking to the 12 week timeline for release date but I don't think it means anything, just what they are told to say.
I brought up the change in exam availability on the folio sight and what it implies. She confirmed that you must be certified as a diplomat to apply for a subspecialty exam but recommended that I not apply for that exam (not that I was planning to) until I get notification that I passed the initial exam. She cautioned that she could not say if the exam status indicates passing but she is taking the issue to the IT department.
If nothing else perhaps the speculation will motivate them to release scores sooner.
I think the only way to know if it has any meaning would be to hear of someone who did not have the pain exam option but not something most would want to share if it means bad news.
Everyone call them!! 847-229-6500 :)

I called, same nonsense, let's break the ABPN!

mine says same as yours. only pain subspecialty

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have the same option for pain. Which one of you does not have pain option? If it means PASS, our passing rate will be close to 100 %. Hard to believe.
Is it true Initial Psychiatry Certification( excluding old one) is above 80 % passing rate? I just read the report from ABPN for 2012-2013.

I don't think pain medicine option on our profiles mean anything. Hoping we get results before the end of this coming week.

Do they have pain like that in previous exam? what is the passing rate?

Do they have pain like that in previous exam? what is the passing rate?
No, it showed up on our profiles last week.
The passing rate last year was around 86% I think.

No, it showed up on our profiles last week.
The passing rate last year was around 86% I think.

Thanks. Hope the result comes out today. There is good chance the pass rate is higher this year.

Not sure if results released on Mondays. Last year results were released on thanksgiving morning.

Dear fellows, has sleep medicine now on top of pain. No initial certification link.

I still have initial cert link added to sleep and pain medicine. Hoping that does not mean anything

a good question would be if to ask anyone applying for the initial next year have those same options for subspecialties? Or does anyone remember when they applied last year for this years exam if that was any other option other than taking the initial?

I have sleep and pain as options; only pain last week. probably has something to do with the dates for sleep. When I go to click the link for apply for initial certification, it says that more documents are needed, and that my training records are incomplete. Wonder if this is some kind of malfunction/error that occurs if one is trying to apply for an exam that he or she has already passed, but that ABPN has not yet corrected? Thoughts?

I too agree with above poster about the higher pass rate, given the changes to scoring. I have also been calling the ABPN weekly and have asked about how they screen the questions and determine which ones get tossed out. Not sure about you all, but I felt very prepared, but yet there were some questions completely taken out of left field. Yes, there were easy ones (at the end of the last section or almost word for word from Beat the Boards review that I took), but in thinking about it more I figure the ABPN knows that we are probably going to be very stressed for time and maybe not make it to the end of the exam to get to those questions (I had 10 q to do in 3 minutes at the end) and as for the material from Beat the Boards, they know what is high yield. And for sure we had some vignettes that were just ridiculous.

I have sleep and pain as options; only pain last week. probably has something to do with the dates for sleep. When I go to click the link for apply for initial certification, it says that more documents are needed, and that my training records are incomplete. Wonder if this is some kind of malfunction/error that occurs if one is trying to apply for an exam that he or she has already passed, but that ABPN has not yet corrected? Thoughts?

most of us able to apply here..so far few people got error about more documents are needed?
so people who can apply good or bad sign?last yr passing rate was 82% with vineatte section was easy per people who took last yr

thanks
HP

And the deadline to apply for initial certification is 2/2 - if we had to reapply, it would show up as an option. These applications became available 11/3. I think the fact that it is not allowing us to apply again is a good thing for us.

Mine also talks about missing documents when I click "request an application for initial certification ". Does anyone see anything different?

Sorry guys, what I meant by link. It's meant I do not have the choice for initial certification like everyone else. I have pain an sleep. The link for initial certification said same thing as you. Incomplete".
Why , it does not let us register for initial certification?

And the deadline to apply for initial certification is 2/2 - if we had to reapply, it would show up as an option. These applications became available 11/3. I think the fact that it is not allowing us to apply again is a good thing for us.

i agree

does anyone have the link to the dates of when subspecialty exams become available>

subspecialty exams became available this month - 11/12, and 11/22, approximately

currently have based on your Certification with the ABPN and the examination schedule.
Applications become available approximately 90 days prior to the application deadline date.
SELECT AN EXAMINATION AND CONTINUE TO THE NEXT STEP.
l_grn_arrow.gif
>">
r_grn_arrow.gif

SubSpecialty Cetification Application(s)
SelectExamination DescriptionExam
Start DateExam
End DateApplication
Deadline DateApplication FeeExam FeeLate FeeNext Application
Available Date
Pain Medicine Certification Exam09/19/201509/19/201502/12/2015$ 700$ 1200$ 50011/10/2016
Sleep Medicine Certification Exam10/22/201510/22/201502/26/2015$ 700$ 1200$ 50011/24/2016

sorry that did not copy as clearly as I thought it would

yes i see what you mean now. It makes sense because they are 90 days before the deadline, where as addiction isn't for example. And if one was to reapply for an initial psychiatry certification it would be available as an option since its within the 90 deadline , but it isn't there as an option.

:soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap:Meaning, all of us in this forum pass.

Reactions: 1 user
When I go to "apply for initial certification" this is the screen I get... granted I took it back in Sept as you all did so obviously they should have this information

FFCC66_90_triangle.gif
Physician Folios - Request Application for Initial CertificationHome | Log off
Additional Information Required!
Our records indicate that you have incomplete resident training records.

The following information is required from your Resident Training Program:
For Psychiatry and Neurology applicants:
•The first three (3) PGY Years including all rotations entered, attested to, and marked complete by the program director.
•The 4th PGY Year must be created with the correct beginning and end dates. Rotations for this PGY are required to apply.
For Child Neurology and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry:
•The first four (4) PGY Years including all rotations entered, attested to, and marked complete by the program director.
•The 5th PGY Year must be created with the correct beginning and end dates. Rotations for this PGY are required to apply.
Once the information outlined above has been provided, your folios account will display a link allowing you to apply for the certification identified by your training program.
Please contact our Credentials Department at 847-229-6510 with any questions

I can definitely conclude it is the same for everyone. They will not let anyone apply for initial certification until result is official. They are testing us if we can delay gratification.

I can definitely conclude it is the same for everyone. They will not let anyone apply for initial certification until result is official. They are testing us if we can delay gratification.

that is not a case here....my self and my friend able to apply any of those three exam without any missing document warning ,...
neurology or child neurology or initial certification.....we are from old program..took 3 residency live cases when did not make oral exam and set down for 1st time initial exam....

makes me nervous..abpn staff told us letting u apply does not mean u fail..i hope they are correct

thanks
HP

Maybe, they are using an old software in your case. This is my first time taking the initial exam certification. I just finished residency in 2014.

Psychiatry
Certificate No. ******Certified on 09/26/2014
certification contingent on meeting MOC requirements

Last edited:
Results out??
I just spoke with the ABPN, they are saying that the results are not up. The cert date should say 9/15/2014, and they have asked that if people are seeing that they are certified to call them and they will contact tech support. The ABPN credential site is updated after the results are posted.