Boston University MAMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kazekage2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this thread started by any one. Are y'all applying to the program and for the previous alumni can you contribute any info about your experiences and/or acceptances to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a current first year at MAMS. If anyone has any questions about the program, housing, faculty, anything lemme know!

Hey everyone,

Has anyone received a decision yet (for this cycle)?

I applied to the program in mid-December around the same time I applied to the Georgetown SMP - I was accepted into Georgetown but I am eager to hear back from BU MAMS.

-Stryder

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! Finally a thread!!

I applied in October and still have not heard. When I called to check status, they reiterated how it's rolling admissions and are still in the process of reviewing applications. I don't think they have sent any decisions yet but we should be hearing soon. I met with Dr. Offner (program director) when I was last in Boston in December and she indicated that decisions should be coming out around mid January.....so fingers crossed. I am a BU alum and would LOOVEEE to be back in Boston and BU. Good luck everyone!

Also a first year! Please PM me any questions if you'd like. The ppl on here were super helpful when I was applying to smp's so I'm totally open to any questions you may have!

I'm in the process of applying to this program right now. Did anyone use Interfolio to submit LORs? And can we submit the application before we get our MCAT scores back? I get mines back at the end of this month.

@coda4451 I used Interfolio to send my letters and I think you can submit without MCAT although they won't be able to make a final decision until they have everything.

Just submitted my application! Does anyone know when they start sending out admission results?

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the program on January 15th, and I believe my application was "officially" finished (although I didn't receive any sort of confirmation email) at the end of November, I think around the 25/26th. Best of luck to everyone that's waiting, I hope to see some of you in Boston in the fall!

Hi everyone! I was accepted into the program on January 15th, and I believe my application was "officially" finished (although I didn't receive any sort of confirmation email) at the end of November, I think around the 25/26th. Best of luck to everyone that's waiting, I hope to see some of you in Boston in the fall!

Would you mind sharing your GPA, MCAT and extra curricular experiences (research, medical experience, volunteer, etc.)?

Would you mind sharing your GPA, MCAT and extra curricular experiences (research, medical experience, volunteer, etc.)?

Definitely--I have a 3.2cGPA, 3.1ish sGPA, 512 MCAT, a good amount of clinical research experience/not a lot of bench experience (hoping to improve that in grad school), lots of shadowing/volunteer experience, and I'll be graduating from a very competitive liberal arts school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted application on Feb 6 and accepted Feb 8. I have heard that this program is aimed toward applicants with lower gpa's. Is this true?

Submitted application on Feb 6 and accepted Feb 8. I have heard that this program is aimed toward applicants with lower gpa's. Is this true?

I know a lot of the students re-take the MCAT after the first year to improve their scores, so I think it's fairly even between low GPA's and low MCAT? I think it would be a lot easier to improve your MCAT without the help of a master's program though.

Wow, that's incredible. I've seen posts like these about fast acceptances in the forums...though still I'm not sure what it means if we still haven't heard back..

Wow, that's incredible. I've seen posts like these about fast acceptances in the forums...though still I'm not sure what it means if we still haven't heard back..
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I applied for entry into BUSM this cycle so they probably just have all my stats/activities on file already. Loving your profile name btw!

Hello All,

I applied in december and was completed in January and I sent them an email today checking on the status.
I am applying for a dual program.
Question to current students/alumni:
Can anyone in the mental health dual program provide feedback, pros and cons, etc?
Does the MAMS provide mcat prep?

Hi everyone!

I just spoke with someone at admissions and they told me today that my application is complete (Yay! Finally!). The woman I spoke with informed me that they actually received the rest of required information (test scores) as of February 9th. I was just wondering about the timeline for hearing back from the admissions office. I know some of you have heard back in 2 days and others still haven't. Any info would be wonderful! Thanks, and best of luck!

Hello!
Submitted my app to BU MAMS Feb 6th and was accepted on the 8th (yay!). I've also applied to the UC SMP and Georgetown and just waiting to hear their decisions as well. For current students, do most people do the two years or stick with trying to do it in one? I'm trying to get a feel for when I need to submit my AMCAS, either this coming June or be able to wait until June 2018. Best of luck to everyone waiting on admissions decisions!

I haven't looked up the deadline for this program so assuming the deadline is sometime after June - would I be at an extreme disadvantage if I applied around May/June?

Hello!
Submitted my app to BU MAMS Feb 6th and was accepted on the 8th (yay!). I've also applied to the UC SMP and Georgetown and just waiting to hear their decisions as well. For current students, do most people do the two years or stick with trying to do it in one? I'm trying to get a feel for when I need to submit my AMCAS, either this coming June or be able to wait until June 2018. Best of luck to everyone waiting on admissions decisions!

HOW? they have moved SOOOOO slow with my app.

If you apply to BU during the MAMS year and do the one year track, are you still in a separate applicant pool? Is it even possible to get into BU immediately after year 1 of MAMS? Also do you know how people fare in the application process that chose the one year track and applied to med schools while in MAMS?

Hey I'm currently in the program right now and am in the midst of the application cycle. I don't know for sure obviously but I get the feel they give preference to people who do the two year route. Unless you have excellent scores and do really well in the program, my guess would be your chance at BU is not the best

UPDATE: I called another office today (Graduate Medical Sciences Admission Office) and asked them about the status of my application. The woman I spoke with said it was complete and she was then forwarding it to the committee for review! She also sent me a confirmation email stating the following:

"Your application for admission to Boston University MS in Medical Sciences program is now complete. At this time, your application will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. Though we make every effort to issue decisions as timely as possible, please note that our thorough review process can take several weeks. We hope to be in contact soon with an admissions decision."

I definitely suggest making a call for anyone who feels that their application is just hanging out there! Best of luck! Hope this helps!

It seems like many people get accepted after being complete for a day or two... if their are any current students on this thread did most of you get accepted right away? Did it take longer for some of you?

If you apply to BU during the MAMS year and do the one year track, are you still in a separate applicant pool? Is it even possible to get into BU immediately after year 1 of MAMS? Also do you know how people fare in the application process that chose the one year track and applied to med schools while in MAMS?

Like @BuckNaked noted, the enhanced admissions effect does not come in until a full year of grades are in. However, I know a number of 1st years that have interviewed at BU and may not have otherwise. So your chances for interviewing will probably still go up but from past cycles, it seems that only a few 1st years get in - the vast vast majority of the 25-30 acceptance spots are going to go to second years with a full year of grades

Has anyone applied with GRE scores? If so, what is a good score range? I took the MCAT before but am trying to decide whether to take the GRE and submit with those scores since I did not do well on my MCAT the first go at it!

It seems like many people get accepted after being complete for a day or two... if their are any current students on this thread did most of you get accepted right away? Did it take longer for some of you?

I posted about this earlier, but I finished my application at the end of November and didn't get an acceptance until January 18th!

I posted about this earlier, but I finished my application at the end of November and didn't get an acceptance until January 18th!

Good to know. I submitted in December, was complete January 12 and NOTHING. I emailed I called I sent an owl...NOTHING.

SIGHS

Good to know. I submitted in December, was complete January 12 and NOTHING. I emailed I called I sent an owl...NOTHING.

SIGHS
I'm in the same boat as you, complete January 2nd. Also surprised how quickly other people got acceptances... Guess we'll have to be patient and see!

Has anyone applied with GRE scores? If so, what is a good score range? I took the MCAT before but am trying to decide whether to take the GRE and submit with those scores since I did not do well on my MCAT the first go at it!

Hello, I applied with GRE scores verbal: 156 (72%), 163 (85%) and 4.5(82%) and I was accepted into the program on Feb. 6th, I applied mid Jan. I think on the website it recommends GRE scores > 70%.

Hello, I applied with GRE scores verbal: 156 (72%), 163 (85%) and 4.5(82%) and I was accepted into the program on Feb. 6th, I applied mid Jan. I think on the website it recommends GRE scores > 70%.
Thank you very much!! I did see they like scores >70% I am starting to study for a test date in April! (but I think I will submit my app and then send in scores when I get them :)

For people in MAMS currently or have completed the program, when did you start looking for an apartment?

Hello All,

I applied in december and was completed in January and I sent them an email today checking on the status.
I am applying for a dual program.
Question to current students/alumni:
Can anyone in the mental health dual program provide feedback, pros and cons, etc?
Does the MAMS provide mcat prep?

MAMS offers an mcat prep course through Princeton review.

For people in MAMS currently or have completed the program, when did you start looking for an apartment?

I think I started looking for a place early June once my finals were over. If you need any recommendations of where to look for lemme know!

It usually takes takes them a few days to add you to the fb group, but starting May-ish you'll start seeing people asking about roommates and living together. Your lease will likely run from August to August, so starting to look right before the summer starts would be a good time.

Apartments immediately to South end can be a little pricey, but for those of you coming from warmer areas like FL and soCal it may be worth it for not having to deal with the weather. Housing further away can be much much cheaper, so a good number of people do commute every day. I'm not sure if it's available to us, but I would definitely look into putting your name down for the BU grad housing at 580 commonwealth. It's a little ways away being closer to the undergrad campus (~30 min commute on the free BU bus), but personally I do prefer the fenway area and the facilities of the undergrad campus. Also, you could consider looking at the Tufts MBS and Tufts-SOM threads (and the BU-SOM thread) as well to connect with even more people that are looking for housing.

MAMS offers an mcat prep course through Princeton review.

I think I started looking for a place early June once my finals were over. If you need any recommendations of where to look for lemme know!

I was just accepted to BU MAMS the other day...I'd love some recommendations of where to look!

Does anyone know if an admitted students Facebook page has been made yet for 2017-2018 (I know it's pretty early in the application cycle, I just wanted to check)?

1. What is the average class size?
First semester, everyone takes the same 3 classes - biochem, histology, and physio A. So you will have the entire class of 150 or so students in these, but it will seem less because all 3 are podcasted. Biochem will have more because we have some 7 year med students from BU and some other grad programs also requiring it. Second semester you have 1 required class in physio B and can otherwise choose 2 of 4 electives, so that number is hypothetically halved for those classes.

2. Do most students do 1 or 2 years in this program?
Most do it in 2. Unless you have some crazy research background or are part of the minority applying the same year, they usually recommend taking the thesis year.

3. For those who decided between Tufts MBS and BU MAMS, what factors contributed to your decision?
MAMS seems to be the more well known from what I saw, and I was more impressed by the alumni school list. I was deciding between georgetown smp and this, and everyone I spoke to in MAMS unanimously agreed it was an amazing program so I decided to go with it. I don't think one is insanely better than the other in any way though.

4. How many students on average matriculate into BU's School of Medicine?
They say 25-30 get accepted and around 15-20 matriculate, but that number varies in that region

5. Are courses taught by instructors in-person or via simulcast?
In person, but the only required class you will have to go to for attendance is the histo lab - everything else is recorded for podcast

6. What other programs have students in the past decided to attend over BU MAMS?
Don't really have much to add to this besides keeping in mind that your admissions chances are entirely going to be dependent on your SMP performance so going to the one where you think you will do best in is a good idea

For those that got in recently when did you submit your application?

Anyone here going to the interview session tomorrow? Or anyone from previous years who interviewed for the masters of mental health? I would like to know what to expect. I am scared.

I am IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Is there a fb group somewhere?

You got in today? Congrats! What was your GPA and did you have really good ECs?

You got in today? Congrats! What was your GPA and did you have really good ECs?

My GPA is bbaaddddd (2.8 science, 3.6 cum, 27 MCAT) applied to one of the dual programs so my app took longer because I had to be admitted to both programs.
Excellent ECs (volunteer medical, non medical, work in research, shadow hours) very non trad. I LLLOOOOVVVEDDD this place when I visited.

I mean your cumulative is solid. I only applied mams submitted January and haven't heard back yet

I mean your cumulative is solid. I only applied mams submitted January and haven't heard back yet
I'm still waiting to hear back as well, sigh. Application was submitted in November, but completed February 10th. Fingers crossed that we all hear back soon!

I just submitted early even though I haven't taken my gre yet! Just wanted to get my foot in the door.