Boston University MAMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@drhopeful2018 So I heard back within 4 days, and I submitted my GRE score, I had a 155 in both sections, with a 4.5 in writing
And thanks @sss1219 for further answering my questions, have you heard of anyone doing the dual MS/MPH route? I want to retake the MCAT the month after the first year of MAMS classes are done. If I did the MS/MPH, I would have to do the lit research thesis, along with taking MPH classes in the summer, and then do a full year of MPH classes, with another summer of MPH classes. So basically, the summer after the first year of MAMS classes is going to be hell with taking the MCAT, doing the lit research thesis, taking public health classes, and applying to medical school. I don't want to overload myself, so that's why i'm starting to be a little dissuaded from the dual MS/MPH program, even though I would like to get involved in public health. What are your thoughts?

Only do the MPH if you're really interested in it. You can email Dr. Offner about this, but I'd imagine her advice will be the same - focus on MAMS courses and then the MCAT. If you're happy with both, then do the MPH. If taking the MPH classes along with studying for the MCAT will detract from how much MCAT you can get in, it won't be worth it. And there will be chances down the line to do an MPH so you won't be too much at a loss.

PS doing the MPH isn't something you really have to decide until a number of months in. You will have a better idea of your app strengths/weaknesses and the necessity of doing it bt that point

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I did the MS/MPH, I would have to do the lit research thesis, along with taking MPH classes in the summer, and then do a full year of MPH classes, with another summer of MPH classes.

I emailed Dr. Offner about the MCAT the MPH, and she said there is sufficient time to study between spring semester and the MCAt, assuming you take it in June. You start MPH course work in July of the summer after your second semester. The lit thesis is due at the end of the MPH program since the degrees are awarded concurrently, so you can work on the lit thesis during the MPH course work. The MAMS coursework is completed before the MPH program, though, so you shouldn't have to worry about time allocation. Likewise for the MCAT; it is most advisable to take the MCAT in June with this program (from what I have gathered).

@sss1219 is spot on! Only do the MPH if you would enjoy it. I am very interested in health policy and law, as well as health disparities among populations, so I would benefit more from the MPH than the research, personally. Academically the research is great, but an MPH also offers me a solid plan B in the event of an empty application cycle. I do think this program is great for an MPH, though, instead of later. The built in second year is ideal for the MPH, plus BU has a great program

Thanks for the help everyone, I like how I can really decide on whether or not I'd like to pursue the dual degree once i'm a few months in. I think that would be the best decision for me, although I am interested in public health!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I was just accepted to this program (3.63 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 511 MCAT) and i'm really excited to go! Does anyone know if incoming students can start taking classes this summer session?

Hey guys! I was just accepted to this program (3.63 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 511 MCAT) and i'm really excited to go! Does anyone know if incoming students can start taking classes this summer session?

enjoy your summer! It might be one of the last ones you have off. But I have not seen or read anything indicating that you can.

For all of those in the program, should if we are looking to retake the MCAT, should we even bother studying for it this summer, or should we just leave it to that month after the year of MAMS classes? I feel like I should do a little studying over the summer...?

For all of those in the program, should if we are looking to retake the MCAT, should we even bother studying for it this summer, or should we just leave it to that month after the year of MAMS classes? I feel like I should do a little studying over the summer...?

I think if anything I would try to get some CARS studying in since that section is all about technique and speed. Your biochem and bio knowledge will be really strong after 1st semester so I would recommend doing that afterwards. And I'd wait for paych since you'll probably forget everything you memorized through the year. Another good idea would be to start making very rough drafts of secondaries foe schools you will be applying to so you can work off of them when the time comes.

But yeah enjoy your free time for the most part, you won't have much of it otherwise through the year

I think if anything I would try to get some CARS studying in since that section is all about technique and speed. Your biochem and bio knowledge will be really strong after 1st semester so I would recommend doing that afterwards. And I'd wait for paych since you'll probably forget everything you memorized through the year. Another good idea would be to start making very rough drafts of secondaries foe schools you will be applying to so you can work off of them when the time comes.

But yeah enjoy your free time for the most part, you won't have much of it otherwise through the year

That makes sense, so I was looking at some of your posts @sss1219 and saw that you had a great MCAT score! Congrats! Did you take the MCAT right after the first year of MAMS classes? From everyone that i've called at the BU MAMS program, they all say that they took it in early june, only a month after classes ended. Did you find this to be doable? Did you do this?

That makes sense, so I was looking at some of your posts @sss1219 and saw that you had a great MCAT score! Congrats! Did you take the MCAT right after the first year of MAMS classes? From everyone that i've called at the BU MAMS program, they all say that they took it in early june, only a month after classes ended. Did you find this to be doable? Did you do this?

It depends. In second semester you can choose between 4 electives, and one set of the 2 electives is immunology or anatomy. Immunology is more intensive but only lasts like 5 week/ends in March, so your course load lightens up hfor the remaining 1.5 months. A lot of people planning to take/retake the MCAT over the summer take immuno over anatomy so they can balance starting to study with only having 2 remaining courses (physio, pharm or path).

If you have an old MCAT score then it's recommended you submit your primary to one school you plan to apply to regardless of what your new score will be so you can get verified, and then go crazy on the applications once your second score comes in. I'd imagine you would not want to take it any later than June, July at the latest because it takes a month for scores to come back and generally speaking being done with secondaries (with your new MCAT) by beginning of August is considered 'early' (for MD at least). I'm sure the month will be a rush, but considering you'll have gone through at least 50% of biochem and biology in the MAMS course and that CARS and psychology were probably the easiest to study for (I found, personally), I'm sure it's more than doable if you are completely dedicated over summer.

It depends. In second semester you can choose between 4 electives, and one set of the 2 electives is immunology or anatomy. Immunology is more intensive but only lasts like 5 week/ends in March, so your course load lightens up hfor the remaining 1.5 months. A lot of people planning to take/retake the MCAT over the summer take immuno over anatomy so they can balance starting to study with only having 2 remaining courses (physio, pharm or path).

If you have an old MCAT score then it's recommended you submit your primary to one school you plan to apply to regardless of what your new score will be so you can get verified, and then go crazy on the applications once your second score comes in. I'd imagine you would not want to take it any later than June, July at the latest because it takes a month for scores to come back and generally speaking being done with secondaries (with your new MCAT) by beginning of August is considered 'early' (for MD at least). I'm sure the month will be a rush, but considering you'll have gone through at least 50% of biochem and biology in the MAMS course and that CARS and psychology were probably the easiest to study for (I found, personally), I'm sure it's more than doable if you are completely dedicated over summer.

That makes sense. I think I'll probably take the Immunology although i'm probably planning ahead too far, but I'm thinking to take anatomy over this upcoming summer at my local college next to my house. I have an old MCAT score, but I know it's not going to get me anywhere lol. Your idea is to just submit it so I get verified, and then once I get my new MCAT score back in July of 2018, i'll submit that everywhere. This is so I get verified early, and it doesn't matter if I submit both considering all schools will see both scores right?

When was your application complete, and how long did it take to hear back?

Anyone know anything about the waitlist? and how many people get admitted from it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have suggestions to living in suburbs of Boston? Chelsea, Cambridge, etc. as opposed to living in the heart of Boston?

That makes sense. I think I'll probably take the Immunology although i'm probably planning ahead too far, but I'm thinking to take anatomy over this upcoming summer at my local college next to my house. I have an old MCAT score, but I know it's not going to get me anywhere lol. Your idea is to just submit it so I get verified, and then once I get my new MCAT score back in July of 2018, i'll submit that everywhere. This is so I get verified early, and it doesn't matter if I submit both considering all schools will see both scores right?

Yup, this is what Dr. Offner recommended everyone who was retaking for a better score. It's basically so that you can submit asap once you're ready to go with the new score, while avoiding being autoscreened by your old MCAT if you were to send the new score as an update instead

Anyone have suggestions to living in suburbs of Boston? Chelsea, Cambridge, etc. as opposed to living in the heart of Boston?

I can't speak to this since I live next to campus, but I know a number of people who live towards back bay/Fenway area and commute every day. The furthest I personally know is someone who commutes from Allston. The apartments for BU undergrad kids in those areas are a fair bit less expensive than the ones in south end, but you will need to be vigilant about commuting everyday. Missing class isn't such a huge deal since most of them are podcasted and don't require attendance, but during first semester a fair number of tests will be at 8am. Having a car is pretty handy in that case.

I can't speak to this since I live next to campus, but I know a number of people who live towards back bay/Fenway area and commute every day. The furthest I personally know is someone who commutes from Allston. The apartments for BU undergrad kids in those areas are a fair bit less expensive than the ones in south end, but you will need to be vigilant about commuting everyday. Missing class isn't such a huge deal since most of them are podcasted and don't require attendance, but during first semester a fair number of tests will be at 8am. Having a car is pretty handy in that case.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend is moving with me and looking for jobs. She isn't particularly pleased with the options in boston itself so she is looking in some of the outer cities and suburbs for cheaper and larger apartments. I have put a cap at 45 minute train/bus ride from our apartment to the med campus, so I know the commute won't be completely outlandish.

@byrdhouse have you guys tried looking around the allston/brookline area? I think I remember apartments being relatively affordable over there, and the commute would be pretty much 45 min-1 hr with having to take the T to the BU undergrad campus and then taking the BU bus from there

PS south end isn't such a terrible area in itself and it's very close to the symphony area + the BU bus takes you directly to the back bay/fenway areas which are both super nice. It's actually very conveniently connected to a lot of places

Chinatown (closer to tufts) may also be an option, it's close to a lot of shops and restaurants and I think there is a bus that runs 1 or 2 blocks away from campus

Keep in mind that traffic can get pretty killer at times, so you really don't want to go too far from south end. None of the classes have required attendance besides the biweekly histology labs, but you're going to have a test or quiz every 2 weeks or so, most of which are a 8 am sharp. And there are things like review sessions, Q/A sessions, and tutor meetings if you need them, etc. So being super far away and having to commute for 1 hr+ every morning can get really annoying, really fast.

@byrdhouse have you guys tried looking around the allston/brookline area? I think I remember apartments being relatively affordable over there, and the commute would be pretty much 45 min-1 hr with having to take the T to the BU undergrad campus and then taking the BU bus from there

PS south end isn't such a terrible area in itself and it's very close to the symphony area + the BU bus takes you directly to the back bay/fenway areas which are both super nice. It's actually very conveniently connected to a lot of places

Chinatown (closer to tufts) may also be an option, it's close to a lot of shops and restaurants and I think there is a bus that runs 1 or 2 blocks away from campus

Keep in mind that traffic can get pretty killer at times, so you really don't want to go too far from south end. None of the classes have required attendance besides the biweekly histology labs, but you're going to have a test or quiz every 2 weeks or so, most of which are a 8 am sharp. And there are things like review sessions, Q/A sessions, and tutor meetings if you need them, etc. So being super far away and having to commute for 1 hr+ every morning can get really annoying, really fast.

Yeah, it depends on where she gets a job. I would be commuting via the T or bus lines, she would be driving since she is bringing her car and I am leaving mine. We have found a few that are nice in the outer regions of Boston. Allston looks nice, as does Brookline. My plan was to be on campus during the week days and as needed on the weekends. I find that I study better when I am on campus as opposed to at home.

I applied to the program and was wondering what's the longest time someone has waited before hearing back from admissions (accepted/rejected/on hold).
I applied a little less than one month ago and was curious as to when I might expect to get some information on my status.

Hello, current MAMS student here. If anyone is looking to move into a place mid May or early June, let me know! I'm looking to rent out my place for the remainder of my lease (until Aug 31st), with the possibility of staying on for another year (past Aug 31st). The rent is $740 a month. You'd be living with 2 other current MAMS students. The place is a 10 minute walk to the medical campus.

Let me know if you're interested, shoot me a PM :)

Last edited:
I'm considering Ph. D programs and MD programs as of now. Wouldn't it more beneficial for me if I do an actual research thesis rather than a literary one to be considered competitive for Ph. D programs?

I'm considering Ph. D programs and MD programs as of now. Wouldn't it more beneficial for me if I do an actual research thesis rather than a literary one to be considered competitive for Ph. D programs?

This would be something to make a WAMC post and to email Dr. Offner about. PhD and MD admissions vary so drastically in how much they weigh research experience vs. academic numbers that it'd be a hard call to make. Although I do think people have gone on to do PhD from this program, but I would still email her and discuss your case before you commit - she is very receptive and much more knowledgable than any of us alumni.

This would be something to make a WAMC post and to email Dr. Offner about. PhD and MD admissions vary so drastically in how much they weigh research experience vs. academic numbers that it'd be a hard call to make. Although I do think people have gone on to do PhD from this program, but I would still email her and discuss your case before you commit - she is very receptive and much more knowledgable than any of us alumni.

Thank you!

Does anyone know if there is an FB group or a place to post if I want to look for summer leases that could potentially carry on through to next year?

Hello everyone!

I was an MBS student last year and am currently in my 2nd year completing a thesis. I'm more than willing to answer any questions you may have about Tufts. =D

I also wanted to advertise my apartment. I'll be attending a medical school out of state this coming fall and I'm looking for someone to take over my lease and potentially renew for another year. It's a 10 minute walk to the Davis Square red line stop, which gets you downtown near campus. I absolutely love Davis Square and appreciated the calm community feel it had, compared to downtown/Chinatown area. More details here: Sunny Room near Davis Sq. - Jun.-Aug (can renew lease)

Good luck to all of you!

Does mams accept students with around a 3.0c gpa or is that a long shot?

Does mams accept students with around a 3.0c gpa or is that a long shot?
If you have a decent MCAT score, that GPA shouldn't be considered a long shot

Reactions: 2 users
Does this still apply if I take the GRE instead of MCAT?

I would think if your score is competitive, regardless of the exam, then you should stand a fair chance if the GPA isn't ideal

Just got accepted into the program. For those on the 2 year route, what is the second year like? Do you have much more free time during the second year?

Just got accepted into the program. For those on the 2 year route, what is the second year like? Do you have much more free time during the second year?

I'm 6 years out graduating from MAMS, but your second year is very chill. This is the time to go on interviews, work on research, volunteer, tutor, (sleep) and whatever else to make yourself a competitive applicant during the application process.

As people have said, i'd stick to just studying at least the first semester. Messing up your first semester will not be good for your medical school candidacy.

Do most students start research during the summer after the second semester or do they start it in the following Fall semester?

Do most students start research during the summer after the second semester or do they start it in the following Fall semester?

Depends on your PI's schedule and expectations. Varies from starting during spring semester to starting as late as early Fall.

Do most students in the MAMs program have a car? How is it like living in Boston?

Do most students in the MAMs program have a car? How is it like living in Boston?

Depends on how far you're willing to commute and how much you're willing to pay for rent. A lot of people living further away have a car or rely on the free BU Bus, but the draw back is that it is often inconsistent with its timetables. On the other hand, a lot of people live in south end but pay higher rent (some convert living rooms into bed rooms to deal with this) so that they don't have to deal with the weather and/or commute.

Boston is great :) weather is pretty bipolar (rain/snow/the whole spectrum of wet fluffy stuff in between) but I've enjoyed my stay so far!

Depends on how far you're willing to commute and how much you're willing to pay for rent. A lot of people living further away have a car or rely on the free BU Bus, but the draw back is that it is often inconsistent with its timetables. On the other hand, a lot of people live in south end but pay higher rent (some convert living rooms into bed rooms to deal with this) so that they don't have to deal with the weather and/or commute.

Boston is great :) weather is pretty bipolar (rain/snow/the whole spectrum of wet fluffy stuff in between) but I've enjoyed my stay so far!
Do students get a MBTA pass that is paid for with tuition so you don't have to pay for the train or bus every time if you commute using the T? I get that now in Chicago so I wasn't sure it they did similar things in Boston!

Do students get a MBTA pass that is paid for with tuition so you don't have to pay for the train or bus every time if you commute using the T? I get that now in Chicago so I wasn't sure it they did similar things in Boston!

I think at the beginning of every semester, you can get a discounted mbta pass through the school. I remember getting an email with something about that when we first started.

Does anyone know how we get started with course registration? I know that we need to submit our transcripts from degree granting institutions (which I have not done yet) but I wasn't sure if there was anything else we needed to do. I have the FAFSA completed and need to fill out the forms for BU.

I think we can't register for courses until June. Also financial aid doesn't process loan applications till June too.

Speaking of course registration, has Dr. Offner sent out the instructions on how to enter MAMS coursework into AMCAS?

Speaking of course registration, has Dr. Offner sent out the instructions on how to enter MAMS coursework into AMCAS?

I can't remember for the life of me, but I'm almost certain that you do course registration during orientation. Or at least closer to August/September when the start of the year approaches.

PSA for those of you applying this cycle: Dr. Offner will pull you aside during the first week to get a better idea of where you stand in the cycle and for getting your info for your letters of rec and such. I'm not sure if you should be entering MAMS coursework into the primary app or not since not everyone will be enrolled in MAMS before AMCAS submission goes live, but you should definitely email her if you are applying and ask about the process and how it fits with starting MAMS (if you are 100% intent on MAMS at least).

Just got my acceptance today!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from Tufts and Loyola MAMS & MSMP before I make my final decision.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the official start date is for class and orientation in fall?

Just got my acceptance today!!! I'm still waiting to hear back from Tufts and Loyola MAMS & MSMP before I make my final decision.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the official start date is for class and orientation in fall?
Congrats! What are your stats and when did you submit your app? I also applied to Tufts and will also be applying to Loyola

Congrats! What are your stats and when did you submit your app? I also applied to Tufts and will also be applying to Loyola
Thanks! 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA. I used my GRE score (159 verbal, 160 quantitative, 4.5 writing) since I haven't take the MCAT yet. My app was complete on 5/17 and I was accepted 5/21. Good luck with your other apps :)

Thanks! 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA. I used my GRE score (159 verbal, 160 quantitative, 4.5 writing) since I haven't take the MCAT yet. My app was complete on 5/17 and I was accepted 5/21. Good luck with your other apps :)
Thank you very much! Of all the programs I applied to, this is my number 1 choice so I really hope to hear back soon. I was complete on 5/16.