B's in O-Chem, but chances at top tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pagulbacha27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just took my O-Chem II final and I'm freaking out. Last year, I got a solid B in O-Chem I (I was at a strong B+/A- until the final; I had a panic attack and most likely failed the exam I think). This year, I was off to a rocky start, I got a C- on my first test, but then started doing really well in the class. I'm very much on the borderline, and my getting an A- really depends on how this final turns out.

Anyway, O-Chem I was my first B ever in college, I've had all A's/A-'s in my other coursework. Depending on whether I get a B+/A- in O-Chem II, I was wondering if my grades in O-Chem have reduced my chances at a top tier med school? After this I could still pull a high 3.8, maybe even a 3.9 cGPA, with sGPA being ~3.8 or so. I've been scouring the internet and haven't found an answer. I have solid extra-curriculars, and I'm wondering if everything goes my way (ex. MCAT, LDOR's) if I have a good chance. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just want to assess; the impression I'm getting form forums is that I will be able to get into a medical school, but necessarily a top 10 or 15. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT this is a discussion not worth having. If "the MCAT goes your way" surely you could just go to the med schools website and look at their median GPAs and compare it to yours.

I'm just an undergrad like you so don't weigh my thoughts too heavily, but I think those GPA's are fine for top tier. Your MCAT is going to play a huge role getting you there though, and your EC's are what's going to help tell your story and set you apart.

Here's something to look at though. If you had a "panic attack" over an OChem final and think you failed it, how are you going to handle a career defining high stakes exam like the MCAT or the Steps? Do what you have to do to learn to control that anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you do well on the MCAT, you're fine. Not everyone in medical school got straight As in undergrad.

A 3.8 or 3.9 GPA is great. Most Top 20 schools have average GPAs around that range. I suggest looking at Msar online to get a feel for what each school looks for in terms of GPA.

Hi everyone! I just took my O-Chem II final and I'm freaking out. Last year, I got a solid B in O-Chem I (I was at a strong B+/A- until the final; I had a panic attack and most likely failed the exam I think). This year, I was off to a rocky start, I got a C- on my first test, but then started doing really well in the class. I'm very much on the borderline, and my getting an A- really depends on how this final turns out.

Anyway, O-Chem I was my first B ever in college, I've had all A's/A-'s in my other coursework. Depending on whether I get a B+/A- in O-Chem II, I was wondering if my grades in O-Chem have reduced my chances at a top tier med school? After this I could still pull a high 3.8, maybe even a 3.9 cGPA, with sGPA being ~3.8 or so. I've been scouring the internet and haven't found an answer. I have solid extra-curriculars, and I'm wondering if everything goes my way (ex. MCAT, LDOR's) if I have a good chance. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just want to assess; the impression I'm getting form forums is that I will be able to get into a medical school, but necessarily a top 10 or 15. Thanks!

Your grades in the individual science prereqs won't matter. Med schools look at the overall GPAs instead of combing through transcripts.

Admission to a top teir school requires a solid gpa (yours is) plus being outstanding on the mcat and outstanding outside the classroom. @md-2020 is the kind of person those schools are looking for. Solid grades (>3.7) with a crazy mcat and top 1% ECs.

concert pianist > 4.0 gpa

Reactions: 1 users
The neuroticism on this site baffles me sometimes. You're screwed OP. Everyone who went to medical school ever has never gotten a B in O Chem

Reactions: 3 users
OP check out the average GPAs of top tier schools! You're definitely in the range, GPA wise. many people find o chem difficult. You did well!

OP isn't concerned about their c/sGPA...grades in the individual prereq courses is the concern.