California Med Schools - 2005 Applicant Zone part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wxl31 said:
hey dc, thanks! i heard 11/30 via email from my interviewer. i got the paper notification from the school a couple of wks later. i interviewed 10/14.

good luck! i hope you get in! isn't the school great?!

thanks wxl, i sure hope so too =) yes, it's a great school to go to... :rolleyes: i just need to be patient and stop checking my mail and thinking about it like every 5 mins (j/k...sorta hehe)

Kwerg said:
interview (10/25), found out (12/17) by email from interviewers. After reading other posts, it seems that you could hear back anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months! :eek:
haha thats good you didn't have to wait 3 months :D

Members don't see this ad.

edgardo said:
congrats to all the uc davis ppl! I found out the good news yesterday as well. It took them about 10 weeks to get back to me, so yeah, I guess they are running a little behind.

I had a question though for the other Davis ppl. The post office wasn't delivering my mail to me for 3 weeks, and the Davis letter never got to me. Does it say anything about prereqs? I realized, I only have AP credits for some of the prereqs and am signing up for classes this spring again, but need to know how many to sign up for.

If anyone can let me know what the letter says before it gets resent to me, I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to PM me too so we don't clutter this thread.

Thanks!

congrats edgardo! :thumbup:

dc123 said:
i just need to be patient and stop checking my mail and thinking about it like every 5 mins

I have been neurotic like that since my interview also. Doesn't help that I've dreamt of getting into UCD SOM for so many years already. I interviewed mid-november. So hopefully, I will hear back in a few weeks. Good luck!

BTW, for those of you waiting to hear, my friend just got an interview invite from UCD today. She was complete since end of September. So there is more coming out now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uegis said:
I have been neurotic like that since my interview also. Doesn't help that I've dreamt of getting into UCD SOM for so many years already. I interviewed mid-november. So hopefully, I will hear back in a few weeks. Good luck!

BTW, for those of you waiting to hear, my friend just got an interview invite from UCD today. She was complete since end of September. So there is more coming out now.

Yay! There is still hope for an interview!

I hope you get good news, Uegis! :luck:

i know we were all getting anxious earlier on in the process when the california schools were taking their sweet time with applications, but isn't it nice (for those of us who have now applied to california schools) to know that while this process seems to be over at a lot of other schools for a lot of people, we can still hold out hope because the california schools are so late and we probably won't hear anything for a little while longer?

Uegis said:

i hope you get in! i totally understand the neuroses. i was like that too a month ago.

nairay said:
Yay! There is still hope for an interview!

I hope you get good news, Uegis! :luck:

Thanks! Hope you have plenty of good news coming to you soon too!

dc123 said:
thanks kiwie07, that helps. and btw, congrats on your multiple acceptances!!! (i saw on the acceptance thread) :) which school are you leaning towards?

haha thanks dc123.
it's a tough choice between davis and uchicago...so i actually don't know. i really loved both schools and the students there so...yea. =P hopefully i'll be able to go to second look weekends etc.

edgardo said:
congrats to all the uc davis ppl! I found out the good news yesterday as well. It took them about 10 weeks to get back to me, so yeah, I guess they are running a little behind.

I had a question though for the other Davis ppl. The post office wasn't delivering my mail to me for 3 weeks, and the Davis letter never got to me. Does it say anything about prereqs? I realized, I only have AP credits for some of the prereqs and am signing up for classes this spring again, but need to know how many to sign up for.

If anyone can let me know what the letter says before it gets resent to me, I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to PM me too so we don't clutter this thread.

Thanks!

hey edgardo! CONGRATS!! :)
so there actually is a prereq form and they check off whether or not you have completed the requirements. there's also a CA residency and health record form and the statement of intent to register. these are the prereqs:
- english - 1 year or equivalent
- Biological Sciences - 1.5 years or equivalent. 1/2 year (1 sem or 2 quarters) of upper division course in biochem, cell bio, genetics or molecular bio.
- General Chem - 1 year or equivalent
- Organic Chem - 1 year or equivalent
- Physics - 1 year or equivalent
- Math - 1 year or quiv of college coursework sufficient to satisfy prereqs for integral calc; a course in stats fulfills a portion of the requirement.

hope this helps!

any word on ucsd guys? a while back (end of dec.) they contacted me and said i was missing a page from my secondary (this happen to anyone else?) so i resent it; i hope they didnt put me to the back of the pile.

constructor said:
i know we were all getting anxious earlier on in the process when the california schools were taking their sweet time with applications, but isn't it nice (for those of us who have now applied to california schools) to know that while this process seems to be over at a lot of other schools for a lot of people, we can still hold out hope because the california schools are so late and we probably won't hear anything for a little while longer?

:confused: Uumm . . . yeah you're right, I love the fact that they take so long to do things and that I'll get to find out about them later than everyone else.???

UCLAstudent said:
Oh my gosh, Jeffy, that is so bizarre! I'd almost say it isn't worth completing. By far, that secondary took the longest of them all, and they rejected me like two weeks after I submitted it. :rolleyes: But, it is a good CA school. Good luck! :thumbup:

It's so late in the game that to be honest, I did think twice about whether I should even bother sending it back. If an interview were to even result from this, it'd be in late March and I'd be fighting for a spot on the waitlist which itself is like getting the ax.

Jeffy said:
:confused: Uumm . . . yeah you're right, I love the fact that they take so long to do things and that I'll get to find out about them later than everyone else.???

apparently i'm not as optimistic as you are. to me it means a possible delaying of the bad news, which i can deal with. i was just comparing it to people who have already heard definite "no"s from various other schools to which they applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
any word on ucsd guys? a while back (end of dec.) they contacted me and said i was missing a page from my secondary (this happen to anyone else?) so i resent it; i hope they didnt put me to the back of the pile.

Just got an interview invite from UCSD :thumbup: :thumbup:

congrats, uegis! you're on a roLL!!

constructor said:
congrats, uegis! you're on a roLL!!

Thanks constructor!! you've been so supportive for me and everyone on this board. Truly :thumbup:! After haven't heard from them for 4 months, it was a very nice suprise.

Uegis said:
Just got an interview invite from UCSD :thumbup: :thumbup:

congratulations uegis ! That's great news :) Good luck !! :luck: Let us know how it goes :)

I heard from a reliable source that "half the class is full" as of the middle of this week. Hope that helps. And good luck to those of you who are waiting :)

LoneCoyote said:
I heard from a reliable source that "half the class is full" as of the middle of this week. Hope that helps. And good luck to those of you who are waiting :)
good job extracting info. but remember saying 'half the class is full' doesn't mean that half of the acceptances have been sent out. Many schools (davis included according to most recent USNEWS data) accept twice as many students as it takes to fill their class (usually around 400 applicants for davis) which suggests that there are still 300 more acceptances out there.

Long_John said:
good job extracting info. but remember saying 'half the class is full' doesn't mean that half of the acceptances have been sent out. Many schools (davis included according to most recent USNEWS data) accept twice as many students as it takes to fill their class (usually around 400 applicants for davis) which suggests that there are still 300 more acceptances out there.

UCD only has a little under 100 spots. So its around 150.

Uegis said:
UCD only has a little under 100 spots. So its around 150.
yea my bad. i got their accept mixed up with their actual interview number.
Yea so another 100 spots still available theoretically.

Long_John said:

Oh boy. I can't wait to send in my secondary to have a chance at getting an interview in order to have a chance at getting one of those remaining 100 spots (which of course will be reduced down to about 8 by the time I would theoretically be at that point). Awesome. $60 *flushing sound* :thumbdown:

Long_John said:

oh mannn ... now im scared :scared: ... still on hold :(

DoctorMalki said:
oh mannn ... now im scared :scared: ... still on hold :(

Yea, that is scary. So does anyone get rejected after secondary or is everyone placed on hold if not accepted?

UCLAstudent said:
Congrats on UCSD, Uegis!!! :D

Thanks UCLAstudent!

Matt Leinhart Returns...UCLA cries...

Hi all,

I realize now that I am a *****, but I was focused on UCSF's MD-phD program and never made use of the "Straight-MD" thread. As I was placed on the "high-priority" list and wanted to learn what that meant, I found your guys.

Early on, you flagged that if we wanted them to know more than just our titles, we would need to make use of the 2-pages alotted to expand or update them on our previous experiences. I beat the activities description to death on my AMCAs application and felt repeating it would just be annoying so I gave them nothing. :eek:

I cannot believe that they have nothing to work with outside of my titles, letters of rec, and what I casually mentioned at interviews.

Do you think they would let me add that information now? Will pointing out my oversite pointlessly draw their attention to my *****ity? Is anyone else in a similar boat or know what they will tell me?

Thanks in advance

Inside info says that each UC medical school has access to a database which tells them which other UCs the applicant has been offered interviews and acceptances at.

Thus if you have a UCSF interview, don't count on one from UC Davis and visa versa, etc...

Pinkertinkle said:
Inside info says that each UC medical school has access to a database which tells them which other UCs the applicant has been offered interviews and acceptances at.

Thus if you have a UCSF interview, don't count on one from UC Davis and visa versa, etc...

is that right?? intersting...

Pinkertinkle said:

good god, that's horrible. yet another layer is added to the "do i measure up" anxieties of the application process

i need some ice cream

debiafly said:
good god, that's horrible. yet another layer is added to the "do i measure up" anxieties of the application process

i need some ice cream

I suggest Karamel Sutra by my two best friends Ben and Jerry. Come on, dive into a pint tonight and you will forget you are applying to med school. You'll barely get a hang over :p

debiafly said:

i need some ice cream

Hey wait... that doesn't make sense. I got invited to ucla and uci after getting accepted to davis

PreMedAdAG said:
Hey wait... that doesn't make sense. I got invited to ucla and uci after getting accepted to davis
It's only a database, what each school does with it is their own business. It only reduces chances of multiple UC interviews, it does not eliminate them all.

After so much angst and grief, my dream came true today. USC sent me the BIG envelope!! Uh-oh, who's that knocking at my door? A stiff shot of Johnnie Walker Black!!! :hardy: :clap:

Jeffy said:
After so much angst and grief, my dream came true today. USC sent me the BIG envelope!! Uh-oh, who's that knocking at my door? A stiff shot of Johnnie Walker Black!!! :hardy: :clap:

Yay, let's get the party started!!! Congrats!!!

Dr. Chiquita said:
Yay, let's get the party started!!! Congrats!!!

My place, 9 p.m. Bring lots of cheap beer and some Hypno. :thumbup:

See, Jeffy, I told you I wouldn't steal your spot. But perhaps you stole mine! ;) Major congrats, I know how badly you wanted that!

hey jeffy, congrats! maybe i will see you at usc! ;)

Wohooo Congrats jeff!!! :D see you at 9 ;)

Wow, thanks a lot. Yall have no idea how good it feels to be congratulated by complete strangers on the internet :thumbup: (except you UCLAstudent, you're no stranger). JK. Anyway, yall are good in my book, and to the ladies, yall are going in my little black book. ;)

Well, if anyone wants a Temple acceptance, I'm willing to sell it for a #4 with extra cheese and a Dr Pepper at Wienerschnitzel. :love:

Hey guys,

I was wondering where you guys stayed when you interviewed at USC. I know the neighborhood is shady so I could use some advice. I was planning on flying into Burbank. What do you Californians suggest?

CanuckRazorback said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering where you guys stayed when you interviewed at USC. I know the neighborhood is shady so I could use some advice. I was planning on flying into Burbank. What do you Californians suggest?

Try looking for places in Pasadena. I'm not sure what the pricing would be, but will be pretty nice and things to do if you are bored. It is one of the closer areas to school.

Hey guys,

Just a couple of things...

In terms of the the class being half full at UCD, I am assuming that means they have accepted the number of people it usually takes to fill half the class. In the past Davis has had lots of waitlist movement. So if you are on hold or on a waitlist, do not give up if you really want to come here.

Also, there were rumors last year about the UCs having a database that showed them if you'd interviewed at other UCs. I am not sure if it is true or not. Who knows. But I do know I had more than one UC interview and I know plenty of others who interviewed at and got into multiple UCs. So try to stay positive. It's a really rough process but if this is what you want to do, it's worth it to get where you want to go. Good luck :)

Hey, Jeffy, I meant to ask ... are you still going to fill out the Davis secondary now that you are in at U$C?

UCLAstudent said:
Hey, Jeffy, I meant to ask ... are you still going to fill out the Davis secondary now that you are in at U$C?

So here's the deal: Do I want to fill it out? No. Would I be an idiot if I didn't? Yes. Why?

a) The value of a UC education cannot be passed up, especially when compared to UBlingC.

b) I'm not really doing anything else anyway.

c) In reality I probably need to produce only 1 new original essay and the rest are just reworkings of previous essays.

d) It'll only cost me $60.37 to send my secondary to UC Pasture. Scratch that, $60. I'll steal the stamp from some kid along with his lunch money.

Whatever. This late in the game I think it's a waste to even bother with Davis and plus I'd have a hard time going somewhere else since USC really fits me well. Once again though, can't really ignore the price.

Jeffy said:
So here's the deal: Do I want to fill it out? No. Would I be an idiot if I didn't? Yes. Why?

a) The value of a UC education cannot be passed up, especially when compared to UBlingC.

b) I'm not really doing anything else anyway.

c) In reality I probably need to produce only 1 new original essay and the rest are just reworkings of previous essays.

d) It'll only cost me $60.37 to send my secondary to UC Pasture. Scratch that, $60. I'll steal the stamp from some kid along with his lunch money.

Whatever. This late in the game I think it's a waste to even bother with Davis and plus I'd have a hard time going somewhere else since USC really fits me well. Once again though, can't really ignore the price.

Jeffy, did your USC status page change to reflect the acceptance?

curiouslygeorge said:
Jeffy, did your USC status page change to reflect the acceptance?

I was actually surprised when I checked last night to see that it hadn't changed at all. :(

Jeffy said:
I was actually surprised when I checked last night to see that it hadn't changed at all. :(

Are you sure you got in? :smuggrin: ;)

More to keep in mind: by the time you submit the Davis app (say in a week) it will be late January. And it will take time for them to review your app, receive your letters, etc. (say a month-ish). I don't know how many schools still invite in March! Just something to think about. But I agree with you, you'd probably be a fool not to submit it, especially since you do nothing all day. :laugh: And you certainly can't beat the price of a UC (at least for now). They obviously have some interest in you if they bothered to send you a secondary this late.

this was 4 yrs ago, but when my bf was applying, he DID receive an interview from davis in march.

Status
Not open for further replies.