This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivemd1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

3.21 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA, 515 MCAT

I graduated college in '16 (Top #30 school) and enrolled in a graduate post-bacc (MS) and got a 4.0 (all classes in biomedical science). It really bothers me that my uGPA did not budge on my AMCAS even after all the hard work I put in grad school since that's put in a separate category. Aside from a high MCAT and gradGPA, I don't know what else I could do to make up for my low uGPA.
My worst was sophomore year of college (and I have addressed the reason behind the performance dip in my personal statment), followed by an upward trend. I would say my ECs are "satisfactory", and I have a unique personal statement that has no trouble standing out (that is if I manage to avoid merciless auto screens that may keep my file away from the admissions committee). I was wondering what my chances were for gaining admission/IIs to an MD program this cycle. So far, I have applied to 25 schools, and hoping to land at least a couple of interviews.

School list:
Drexel
TJU
Georgetown
GWU
BU
Tufts
NYMC
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia
Medical college of Georgia
Morehouse
Mercer
Wayne State
UMich
Vanderbilt
Emory
Tulane
Rutgers
California Northstate
Quinnipiac
U Mass
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools such as UMass, Rutgers, U Michigan, Wayne State accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state.
BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Brown, Columbia, Vanderbilt are totally unrealistic. I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Also apply broadly to at least 6 DO schools and include PCOM Georgia.

Are you URM by any chance?

I am not. I am middle eastern, so I had to check off "white" for the lack of a more accurate term. And I applied to UMass because I went to college in the state of Massachusetts. I also have UMich and Wayne State on my list simply because I received multiple emails from them inviting me to apply.

Attachments

• GPA grid.JPG
    GPA grid.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 222
With under 30 credits of 4.0 SMP and 515 on MCAT does not make up for a borderline UG record where one year of 3.30 BCPM of 25 credits was the high point. I see no reason should be applying to ANY MD programs whatsoever

Is this really the case? Isn't 29 basically 30 credits which equal one full year of an SMP. Combined with a 92% MCAT and a perfect 4.0 SMP does OP really not stand a shot at any MD programs? I thought the whole idea of the SMP was to prove academic readiness beyond the undergrad record. The MCAT also backs it up. I'm honestly confused here.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

3.21 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA, 515 MCAT

I graduated college in '16 (Top #30 school) and enrolled in a graduate post-bacc (MS) and got a 4.0 (all classes in biomedical science). It really bothers me that my uGPA did not budge on my AMCAS even after all the hard work I put in grad school since that's put in a separate category. Aside from a high MCAT and gradGPA, I don't know what else I could do to make up for my low uGPA.
My worst was sophomore year of college (and I have addressed the reason behind the performance dip in my personal statment), followed by an upward trend. I would say my ECs are "satisfactory", and I have a unique personal statement that has no trouble standing out (that is if I manage to avoid merciless auto screens that may keep my file away from the admissions committee). I was wondering what my chances were for gaining admission/IIs to an MD program this cycle. So far, I have applied to 25 schools, and hoping to land at least a couple of interviews.

School list:
Drexel
TJU
Georgetown
GWU
BU
Tufts
NYMC
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia

Medical college of Georgia
Morehouse
Mercer
Wayne State
UMich
Vanderbilt
Emory

Tulane
Rutgers
California Northstate
Quinnipiac
U Mass
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
The schools in red will be donations. I can't recommend applying to any med schools with only one semester of SMP completed. If you have a full year under your belt, then the other schools on the list are known to reward reinvention. You HAVE to have DO schools on your list; beggars can't be choosy.

To the list, add U Miami, SLU, Mayo, Pitt, Case, Hofstra, Albany.
You know the DO schools on my Bad Boy list.

The schools in red will be donations. I can't recommend applying to any med schools with only one semester of SMP completed. If you have a full year under your belt, then the other schools on the list are known to reward reinvention. You HAVE to have DO schools on your list; beggars can't be choosy.

To the list, add U Miami, SLU, Mayo, Pitt, Case, Hofstra, Albany.
You know the DO schools on my Bad Boy list.
Thank you for the feedback!
Why would you recommend schools like Case and Mayo? (Their GPA stats on MSAR are crazy high)

Hello,
I just wanted to update everyone on how my cycle went in case there are people with similar stats who look at this thread. I decided to exclusively apply to MD schools, and I received 5 IIs throughout the cycle. I was put on the waitlist for all of them, but recently gained acceptance to one. I’ll be starting medical school this summer!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello,
I just wanted to update everyone on how my cycle went in case there are people with similar stats who look at this thread. I decided to exclusively apply to MD schools, and I received 5 IIs throughout the cycle. I was put on the waitlist for all of them, but recently gained acceptance to one. I’ll be starting medical school this summer!
Which 5 schools interviewed you ? Congratulations !

Hello,

That’s awesome! Congratulations! I have your almost exact stats. Also would love to know which schools interviewed you