Can Medical School Applicants Be Accepted After Agency In FBI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apooji

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy Doctors, Med Students, and undergrads!

I'm currently entering my first year of Pre-Med down here in Texas and am curious about the application process for students interested in medical school, yet that are years removed from their undergraduate studies. I have a great interest in pursuing medical school, but I was also born into a family of service members and am compelled to join the FBI.
If you have completed your degree and have completed the MCAT, I have the following questions:

1) Must later applicants retake the MCAT?
2) Does first responder, military service, or FBI agency aid medical school applications?
3) Is there a serious decrease in chances of getting accepted into an M.D. or D.O. program if you are this far removed from undergraduate (up to 4 years)?

I would greatly appreciate any comments. Should be a small step in helping plan my career! Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

1. Most schools have requirements of only accepting MCATs that are up to so many years old. Somewhere in the ballpark of 5 years or less most places if I recall correctly.
2. Military, yes, definitely. FBI probably? It can't happen too often. First responder, yes, if it's a true first responder role.
3. Space between undergrad and applying is most commonly viewed as neutral to positive as long as an applicant is using that time in a positive way.

So you're early in the process for both careers, but keep in mind that becoming an FBI agent is a career for most people and it is pretty unusual to want both in your life from tr beginning. I would pick one goal and dedicate yourself to that. However, if you wanted to join the military, you could do something medical that would help and you'd feel like you contributed to service (although physicians do, too). Or you could become a military physician, which also checks both.

Reactions: 1 user
1) For most schools, you need to have a recent MCAT within the last 3 years (Although some are 4 years)
2) First responder can be a benefit if it is a long term commitment, Military service is about the biggest boost you can get shy of URM or Rhodes Scholar type, FBI would be....Unique? You would definitely stand out but I don't know what direct benefit it would add other than leadership experience and intrigue.
3) Up to 4 years? Oh no, the ripe old age of 26? No, you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each school sets their own expiration date on the mCAT. Usually it's three years

2) Does first responder, military service, or FBI agency aid medical school applications?
Yes, yes and yes. We're particularly fond of veterans

3) Is there a serious decrease in chances of getting accepted into an M.D. or D.O. program if you are this far removed from undergraduate (up to 4 years)?
Nope. There's no law that says you have to go to med school at age 21.

Howdy Doctors, Med Students, and undergrads!

I'm currently entering my first year of Pre-Med down here in Texas and am curious about the application process for students interested in medical school, yet that are years removed from their undergraduate studies. I have a great interest in pursuing medical school, but I was also born into a family of service members and am compelled to join the FBI.
If you have completed your degree and have completed the MCAT, I have the following questions:

I would greatly appreciate any comments. Should be a small step in helping plan my career! Thanks :D
Yes, my school's premed committee has written a letter for an FBI agent who was 10 years out of school (and who the advisors constantly bring up as an "interesting" and "unique" applicant).

Each school sets their own expiration date on the mCAT. Usually it's three years

Yes, yes and yes. We're particularly fond of veterans

Nope. There's no law that says you have to go to med school at age 21.
Thank you! I really didn't know that medical schools loved veterans so much! Thank you guys for the response!

Also, you may already be aware of this, but you can go straight from undergrad to med school (or do gap years, if you'd rather) and do the HPSP, which will pay for your medical school in exchange for a military service commitment once you have completed residency. Might be a good option for you if you want to have your cake and eat it too.
Thanks so much! This is right up my alley!

1) For most schools, you need to have a recent MCAT within the last 3 years (Although some are 4 years)
2) First responder can be a benefit if it is a long term commitment, Military service is about the biggest boost you can get shy of URM or Rhodes Scholar type, FBI would be....Unique? You would definitely stand out but I don't know what direct benefit it would add other than leadership experience and intrigue.
3) Up to 4 years? Oh no, the ripe old age of 26? No, you are fine.
I think military service - especially combat veteran - is a greater boost than Rhodes Scholar and equal to URM.