Can you make up for Low COMLEX 1 with COMLEX 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolCat53

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I scored pretty low on COMLEX 1 (under 500) and was wondering if I should bust my butt during my third year and take Step 1 to make up for it (which is extremely difficult in itself) or if I should just focus on COMLEX 2 and try and do really well on it. Say I get upper 500s or above, will that help overlook the poor COMLEX 1 score? Also, I'm interested in Pediatrics/Family Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

So I scored pretty low on COMLEX 1 (under 500) and was wondering if I should bust my butt during my third year and take Step 1 to make up for it (which is extremely difficult in itself) or if I should just focus on COMLEX 2 and try and do really well on it. Say I get upper 500s or above, will that help overlook the poor COMLEX 1 score? Also, I'm interested in Pediatrics/Family Medicine.
I have some good news for you in peds: I know of a 4th year at my school who scored in the lower 400's on level one then scored over 550 on level 2. With auditions, he matched to his number one peds choice (and didn't take USMLE). The level 2 did indeed make up for it in his case.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 2 is specialty specific with regards to how important it is. For the ones you mentioned I'd take that exam and crush it. Especially if you're like most students, you probably do much better with clinical stuff than basic science.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'm interested in Pediatrics/Family Medicine

You'll match these likely regardless of your Level 2, but yes a solid Level 2 will be a good thing and will definitely be a boon to your app.

Reactions: 5 users

You are where I was starting 3rd year. For me I just focused all my determination and frustration over level 1 onto level 2. Treat your entire 3rd year as a study session for level 2. I had a 100 point increase, and had no issues getting interviews in pediatrics (now pgy-2 in pediatrics) . You got this .

Hey I am expecting around a 550 COMLEX, do I have a chance of matching Psych ? Or do I need a USMLE?

Hey I am expecting around a 550 COMLEX, do I have a chance of matching Psych ? Or do I need a USMLE?
Psych increasingly more comp
Would rec getting on that playing field with a Step exam

Psych increasingly more comp
Would rec getting on that playing field with a Step exam
I'm trying to take it, my NBMEs in the end of MS2 were terrible like 190s... So I would've failed it if I took it. My COMSAE D was a 524, very good according to my school.
I hope to get at least a 550 or maybe higher (probably higher) ... I mean isn't that a good COMLEX?
I again say, I'm trying to study harder for the Step 1, but there are no guarantees I'll take it.

I'm trying to take it, my NBMEs in the end of MS2 were terrible like 190s... So I would've failed it if I took it. My COMSAE D was a 524, very good according to my school.
I hope to get at least a 550 or maybe higher (probably higher) ... I mean isn't that a good COMLEX?
I again say, I'm trying to study harder for the Step 1, but there are no guarantees I'll take it.
I always feel if you can do well on one, you'll do well on the other.
But that may be my naive self showing.

I always thought the process was... take Step 1, study for 2 wks Saverese, then hit Level 1.

I always thought the process was... take Step 1, study for 2 wks Saverese, then hit Level 1.
I thought so too. It works for most, not for me.

You can make up your low COMLEX score with a score on USMLE. That would open a lot of doors for you.

I always thought the process was... take Step 1, study for 2 days Saverese, then hit Level 1.
fixed

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If COMLEX 1 didn’t go so great, I wouldn’t put all my hopes in Step 1 going much better, especially if the former had a dedicated study period and the latter would be during rotations.

I think planning to take Step 2 in addition to Level 2 would be a good idea. Obviously not as helpful as having had a solid Step 1 in the first place, but better than taking it later and have it backfire by getting a bad score.

Reactions: 4 users

Focus on doing well on COMLEX Level 2. Take your shelf exams seriously. Study your general and preventative medicine well. Work yourself into studying OMM (aka don't wait till the last day, give yourself some more time).

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE:

With my very low COMLEX (mid 400s) I decided to take Step 1 and scored low 220's. Hopefully that will allow me to apply a little more broadly for FM/IM. Waiting for Comlex-2/USMLE-2 results.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
UPDATE:

With my very low COMLEX (mid 400s) I decided to take Step 1 and scored low 220's. Hopefully that will allow me to apply a little more broadly for FM/IM. Waiting for Comlex-2/USMLE-2 results.
Thats a big improvement, well done. That will indeed make you more competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE:

What was different ?

UPDATE:

You’re in a much better spot now. That step score Is solid for many university FM and IM programs.

You're fine with a 500 for psych. Crush your clinicals and make sure you do average on Step 2 and you'll match no problem.

What was different ?
I took COMLEX at the end of second year, while going through personal stuff. Took Step 1 at the end of third year with lots of motivation and a solid plan that I stuck to.

You’re in a much better spot now. That step score Is solid for many university FM and IM programs.
Thanks a lot for the kind words! I'm glad I decided to take it.

That's great man. Glad you didn't wait too long to take Step 1 by the way. Have plenty of friends who tried taking Step 1 while on rotations - I think all of them gave up on it. I know of one person who pulled off Step 1/Step 2/Level 2 in 3 consecutive months at the end of 3rd year but it's super rare (I do think their Level 1 was fine but they ran out of time to study for it pre-MS3 during dedicated).

Low level 1 --> mediocre Step 2/OK level 2 is something I have seen more often.

Haha thank you. I'm actually a fourth year now, I took step 1 a month and a half after my original post while I was a third year, and I'm trying to pull off the Step 1/Step 2/Level 2 in 3 consecutive months as well, so that person is pretty much me haha. Wish me luck!