This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaiyan-premed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm curious as to how the two (rads and cards) are match friendly to DOs. I'm most likely going to end up at a DO school and wanted to know how hard would it be to get into IM then a cards fellowship or to get into a radiology program, especially w/ step 1 being p/f. Preferably would like to practice in the NYC/NJ area.

Members don't see this ad.

Cards is a competitive specialty. And matching into it has many factors, ex having an in house fellowship and or competitive established IM residency. And ofc there's no evidence that you'll make a competitive applicant for IM until your step score comes back as well, so there's that too.
Radiology isn't competitive if you're ok going anywhere.

Either way you can match into either or. Just depends on how hard you work at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had a non traditional DO student match Rads at an east coast university. Had another student match Anesthesia at a midwest university program. These kinds of things are not new. With the increased competetion this year, the DO match with respect to numbers and quality of programs exceeded expectations. It's all about how well you do in school, boards, Step 2 now, and research if needed to make yourself a competetive applicant for that program. Play the match game well and dont have too many reach programs on your list. You have a very good chance of matching. Cards wont be easy, but again, match at a program that will help you get a fellowship.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At the hospital I work at, most of the Cardiologists are DO. Same with Radiologists. My hospital is very DO friendly to say the least but that goes along with most in the area (Michigan). Not sure how different things are in NYC/NJ, but here DO/MD doesn't hold the same stigma compared to most other places. They all worked their butts off though as would anyone trying to become a Cardiologist or Radiologist. Knowing that it is a real possibility is very motivating though!

Hi, I'm curious as to how the two (rads and cards) are match friendly to DOs. I'm most likely going to end up at a DO school and wanted to know how hard would it be to get into IM then a cards fellowship or to get into a radiology program, especially w/ step 1 being p/f. Preferably would like to practice in the NYC/NJ area.

Need to consider the fact that you MAY not get a cards fellowship but once you are in rads than you are in rads.

IM and rads are obtainable but don't expect to hop into a top tier university cards fellowship in NY. You need to be open to either a) moving elsewhere to do fellowship or b) doing fellowship at a smaller program not affiliated with a university.

Reactions: 1 user