Caribbean pre med.... question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combatbarbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it would be a big deal if I was a pre med student from the Caribbean getting into a DO school??? If I have a decent GPA and MCAT I should be alright, right???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the point of this question is or what you expect to hear in the pre-do forums

Check out valuemd.com for information on Caribbean schools.

Edit: I apologize. I misread your question and thought you were asking about Caribbean medical schools. My apologies.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the point of this question is or what you expect to hear in the pre-do forums

Check out valuemd.com for information on Caribbean schools.
Because I want to go DO

Members don't see this ad :)
First thing to worry about: student visa.

Second thing to worry about: which DO schools take international students. See the CIB.

First thing to worry about: student visa.

Second thing to worry about: which DO schools take international students. See the CIB.
I'm an American citizen, I haven't gone to pre med in the Caribbean yet but am seriously considering it.

You want to do pre-med in the Carribean then go to med school in the US?? Isn't that the opposite path of most these threads???

I think a couple people are confused..

If you are a pre-med student which university are you at...and if you are a premed at a school in the carribean is it considered a "regionally accredited" institution?

Just clarify some info for the rest of us and I am sure you'll get your answers

IamAriDO

You want to do pre-med in the Carribean then go to med school in the US?? Isn't that the opposite path of most these threads???
Well I figure if I cant get into a DO/MD school in the US I'll just go back to the Caribbean.

I think a couple people are confused..

If you are a pre-med student which university are you at...and if you are a premed at a school in the carribean is it considered a "regionally accredited" institution?

Just clarify some info for the rest of us and I am sure you'll get your answers

IamAriDO
I'm still in the military, I want to go to St.George and yes it is regionally accredited.

I'm still in the military, I want to go to St.George and yes it is regionally accredited.
if i were you, i'll enroll in a premed program in the state, take the mcat and then apply broadly DO/MD including carrib sch.

Do your undergrad in the US. Its going to save you headaches.
I've fallen behind a bit in the academic world, maybe I'm wrong to think the Caribbean will "fix" me. Will they except someone into a DO program from a halfway decent US school?

The question that pops up in people's mind, and will no doubt eventually be in the mind of admission committee is: why?

There is no logic to your decision in pursuing a pre-med course off-shore when there are tons of available colleges and universities in the United States. Enrolling in your local state-supported schools (or even junior colleges/community colleges) will save you more money than going to St. George in Grenada (in addition to tuition, factor in cost of living).

People (esp US citizens without significant ties to the Caribbeans) usually pursue an undergraduate education in the United States and apply to US Schools (and/or Caribbean medical schools if unsuccessful). It is extremely rare that students go off-shore to the Caribbean to pursue an undergraduate education only to return to the US for medical school. It begs the question: WHY?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've fallen behind a bit in the academic world, maybe I'm wrong to think the Caribbean will "fix" me. Will they except someone into a DO program from a halfway decent US school?

If you graduate from any accredited school in the US with a decent GPA and MCAT score you will be fine.

The question that pops up in people's mind, and will no doubt eventually be in the mind of admission committee is: why?

There is no logic to your decision in pursuing a pre-med course off-shore when there are tons of available colleges and universities in the United States. Enrolling in your local state-supported schools (or even junior colleges/community colleges) will save you more money than going to St. George in Grenada (in addition to tuition, factor in cost of living).

People (esp US citizens without significant ties to the Caribbeans) usually pursue an undergraduate education in the United States and apply to US Schools (and/or Caribbean medical schools if unsuccessful). It is extremely rare that students go off-shore to the Caribbean to pursue an undergraduate education only to return to the US for medical school. It begs the question: WHY?

A love for the area is one...

So are you giving up on the DVM?

Fixing your grades while in the US is the way to do it - going to the Caribbean to "fix" only complicates matters - either way, your transcript from all your undergraduate studies must be submitted ... and if you happen to do well academically in the Caribbean, the question remains - "well, it was the caribbean, not a US program"

Remember that there are numerous applicants for each seat in medical school. It's not a check-list where once you completed the task, you get accepted. You are competing against other students, other non-traditionals, etc. Admission committee members are busy and don't want to spend too much time figuring out why you went to the caribbean to finish your undergraduate education, what would you have done if you stayed in the US, can you handle the academics of medical school, etc. It will be easier to toss your application aside and look at the next application.

People who pursue premed at St. George are usually trying to get into St. George's medical school

EDIT: And in the end, it's not anonymous strangers on an internet bulletin board that you must answer these questions to, but medical school admission committee (if they even get to read your personal statement)

So are you giving up on the DVM?
Its been a long day.... DVM will always be an option i'll try, but I'm really preparing for the worst right now. This isn't like me to be so negative either.

Its been a long day.... DVM will always be an option i'll try, but I'm really preparing for the worst right now. This isn't like me to be so negative either.
I believe there is only one way to shoot. That is to the stars. If DVM is what you really want to do go to vet school. But in your studing you find you would rather follow medicine then great. But never sell yourself short. You know you can do it, so don't doubt yourself.

My personal advice would be not to give up before you start out. There are tons of premeds on this forum who didn't have the perfect 4.0 GPA including myself, but that doesn't mean we gave up and start heading down for the beach. Granted you love the area but its not ideally the best place to "fix" your academic record if you want to pursue medicine in the US. GOod Luck

I believe there is only one way to shoot. That is to the stars. If DVM is what you really want to do go to vet school. But in your studing you find you would rather follow medicine then great. But never sell yourself short. You know you can do it, so don't doubt yourself.

:thumbup::thumbup:

If mediocre/bad grades were an automatic disqualfier, then I'd be stuck in some office right now dwelling my days away until retirement. I don't think the majority of us are really qualified to say what will happen. The vast majority of us have never really heard of or experienced the situation you put out. I think one of the better people to ask, even if she is from an allopathic school, is LizzyM.

Ok, when you say that you have "fallen behind" in the academic world do mean that you have not yet pursued any college work because you are in the military or have you taken college courses and gotten bad grades? If you haven't done much college work yet, I suggest you start out in the US. Pursuing college course in the Caribbean is much more expensive an option than you would have in the United States and you'll end up in more debt in the long run (tuition, living expenses, etc.). Until you have actually tackled some of the basic science requirements, you shouldn't worry about what your post-graduate options are. Once you see how you preform in science classes than you can consider whether you want a doctorate in medicine or a masters-level degree such as an NP or PA. Don't put the cart before the horse! Don't study pre-med in the Caribbean if you have a choice! Don't sell yourself short just yet!

Ok, when you say that you have "fallen behind" in the academic world do mean that you have not yet pursued any college work because you are in the military or have you taken college courses and gotten bad grades? If you haven't done much college work yet, I suggest you start out in the US. Pursuing college course in the Caribbean is much more expensive an option than you would have in the United States and you'll end up in more debt in the long run (tuition, living expenses, etc.). Until you have actually tackled some of the basic science requirements, you shouldn't worry about what your post-graduate options are. Once you see how you preform in science classes than you can consider whether you want a doctorate in medicine or a masters-level degree such as an NP or PA. Don't put the cart before the horse! Don't study pre-med in the Caribbean if you have a choice! Don't sell yourself short just yet!
I have my basic sciences and I did very well, I just didn't continue because of the military.

I have my basic sciences and I did very well, I just didn't continue because of the military.

So what are you worried about then??? Its okay if you took a couple years off between school and then came back to finish, this doesn't put you at a disadvantage as an applicant.

Finish up at any accredited university in the states and apply to schools in the states!!! You've still got a great shot in the long run, plus the military was probably a really good experience that makes you unique! adcoms like people that stick out when they read their apps!