Caribbean Ross/SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
76 people matched diagnostic radiology from IMG in 2016. In 2018 this number is much lower.
Please dont quote wrong statistics:

https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf . Here it says 55 US-IMGs and 68 Non US IMGs matched DR in 2013.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf . Here it says 69 US -IMGs and 89 non-US IMGs matched into DR in 2016.

Nothing here suggests this number will be lower in 2018. The match results arent even out yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Please dont quote wrong statistics:

https://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRM...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf . Here it says 55 US-IMGs and 68 Non US IMGs matched DR in 2013.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf . Here it says 69 US -IMGs and 89 non-US IMGs matched into DR in 2016.

Nothing here suggests this number will be lower in 2018. The match results arent even out yet.
Didnt see the 2017 data. Non US img is irrelevant here though. Regardless that is a very small amount of people.

Reactions: 1 user
76 people matched diagnostic radiology from IMG in 2016. In 2018 this number is much lower. By the time you graduate the MD DO merger will likely finalize and your chances of becoming a DR are very slim. Screenshot this post and if you match DR in 4 years I will send you $100. Your impatience is going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. The research clearly shows that Carib is a piss poor decision. OP however seems to have their mind set so let me preemtpively laugh when you become one of these people who ruined their life.
Getting Kicked out of a Caribbean Medical School, what now?
Dismissed from caribbean now what?
After failing to get into a residency, this new MD is going to nursing school
For every bull**** success stories that these people push there are stories like this
The only thing the merger will do is create less positions for DO students. It wont affect US-IMG MD as much as you would like.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing the merger will do is create less positions for DO students. It wont affect US-IMG MD as much as you would like.
idk about that its going to affect DOs and US IMGs as a whole. will one be more of a pinch than the other ? probably. Will it be imgs or dos ? i would think dos the first few year since a majority of us have been brainwashed not to take the big scary usmle. eventually, dos will be taking both and i predict that img, in general, will be squeezed out much more. but thats theory i have no proof

I sincerely doubt that any program director would consider an IMG before considering a DO student.

Reactions: 3 users
I sincerely doubt that any program director would consider an IMG before considering a DO student.
again i have no proof of this but there is alot of place that only ACCEPT USMLE, historically not all dos take step, so in theory that excludes them before they can even apply. I took the step for this reason. Many people will make the argument of you comparing an apple (usmle) and a orange ( comlex) some pds know what makes a good orange some only know apples and are not familiar with an orange, thus they wont take a risk.

SGU has many connections
ST. GEORGE’S UNIVERSITY HAS BECOME THE FOURTH LARGEST SOURCE OF DOCTORS FOR THE ENTIRE US WORKFORCE.

SGU has many connections
ST. GEORGE’S UNIVERSITY HAS BECOME THE FOURTH LARGEST SOURCE OF DOCTORS FOR THE ENTIRE US WORKFORCE.
Yet their match rate is still lower then those of any single one DO school. Not to mention that the match for any competitive specialties is basically nonexistent. (sure it's not great for DO, but it's a lot better). I don't really see the logic behind the merger being anything but bad news for Carib. Again, PDs are not stupid. They realize that MD > DO > Carib is the way it goes in terms of calibers of students attending (at least initially). I do not see logic behind an IMG being chosen over a DO student for any reason. I am sure that the "mostly-IMG" programs in inner city NYC will remain that way, due to tradition and lack of interest by DO.

Once again, I see 0 benefit to the Caribbean coming from the merger. Could you elaborate on how it will create more spots for IMG and less for DO? Do you think IMGs will take spots of previously DO only residencies?

Yet their match rate is still lower then those of any single one DO school. Not to mention that the match for any competitive specialties is basically nonexistent. (sure it's not great for DO, but it's a lot better). I don't really see the logic behind the merger being anything but bad news for Carib. Again, PDs are not stupid. They realize that MD > DO > Carib is the way it goes in terms of calibers of students attending (at least initially). I do not see logic behind an IMG being chosen over a DO student for any reason. I am sure that the "mostly-IMG" programs in inner city NYC will remain that way, due to tradition and lack of interest by DO.

Once again, I see 0 benefit to the Caribbean coming from the merger. Could you elaborate on how it will create more spots for IMG and less for DO? Do you think IMGs will take spots of previously DO only residencies?
If a Program Director or Hospital is biased against DO Graduates that doesn't change with the Merger. The Merger will only open up more spots for the low end US Medical students to steal DO Residency positions that would have gone to DO Students..

residency-placement-rate-at-graduation.png

If a Program Director or Hospital is biased against DO Graduates that doesn't change with the Merger. The Merger will only open up more spots for the low end US Medical students to steal DO Residency positions that would have gone to DO Students..

residency-placement-rate-at-graduation.png
Do you take all statistics published by a company at face value?

I do have a question.
SGU says it has 5823 people enrolled in the MD program. So lets round down to 1400 per class. The 2017 match data indicates 933 people matched. Where did 467 people go ?
BTW, Out of those 78 people matched in prelim.

Do you take all statistics published by a company at face value?

I do have a question.
SGU says it has 5823 people enrolled in the MD program. So lets round down to 1400 per class. The 2017 match data indicates 933 people matched. Where did 467 people go ?
BTW, Out of those 78 people matched in prelim.
I was one of those Prelim students who will go onto Radiology. I don't care about the 467 students who failed out, of the more then 900 students who Graduated 93% obtained Residency positions

Last edited:
I was one of those Pre-lim students who will go onto radiology. I don't care about the 467 students who failed out of the more then 900 students who graduated 93% obtained residency positions
Congrats on your success. Im sure you worked extremely hard for it. So 933/1400= 66% percent of those who started down the path made it successfully through. This is the best school in the Caribbean too. People should go into this enterprise knowing the risk. Those are not terrible odds of making it through, but those are not great odds either. So its a little problematic to suggest to a student that going to the Caribbean is a great option considering the alternative is spending a year or two beefing up one's application and applying to DO. At worst the applicant has lost an application cycle or two and the Caribbean is still there. The flip side of that is going to the Caribbean without applying US and failing out and being left with no options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your success. Im sure you worked extremely hard for it. So 933/1400= 66% percent of those who started down the path made it successfully through. This is the best school in the Caribbean too. People should go into this enterprise knowing the risk. Those are not terrible odds of making it through, but those are not great odds either. So its a little problematic to suggest to a student that going to the Caribbean is a great option considering the alternative is spending a year or two beefing up one's application and applying to DO. At worst the applicant has lost an application cycle or two and the Caribbean is still there. The flip side of that is going to the Caribbean without applying US and failing out and being left with no options.
Also of the 933, not all of them are entering the match for the first time, and some of the newly graduated students take a year off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

again i have no proof of this but there is alot of place that only ACCEPT USMLE, historically not all dos take step, so in theory that excludes them before they can even apply. I took the step for this reason. Many people will make the argument of you comparing an apple (usmle) and a orange ( comlex) some pds know what makes a good orange some only know apples and are not familiar with an orange, thus they wont take a risk.
For what it’s worth, at least the DO schools I’ve asked about have shifted to telling all their folks to talk usmle unless they are dead set on only family

For what it’s worth, at least the DO schools I’ve asked about have shifted to telling all their folks to talk usmle unless they are dead set on only family
maybe in the class of 2020 and above. yes that would be wise. but some schools are pushing the whole go to only osteopathic recognition programs. Which is complete bs in my opinion. At my school they left it up to us but recommended against it .

maybe in the class of 2020 and above. yes that would be wise. but some schools are pushing the whole go to only osteopathic recognition programs. Which is complete bs in my opinion. At my school they left it up to us but recommended against it .
currently <200 programs so that's not going to stay a thing

The Program Directors survey show that as an aggregate, PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more than they will for DOs.

Wow, what a loser! We get it, students who go to the Caribbean are inept, worthless and should be flogged. Do you have a life outside SDN?

Wow, what a loser! We get it, students who go to the Caribbean are inept, worthless and should be flogged. Do you have a life outside SDN?
Data makes you angry? You know what makes me angry? People getting fleeced by criminal organizations. I have no argument with the students, even if they are making bad choices. It's the people taking advantage of them that I have the objection to.

So if I can help prevent a person from making a disastrous mistake, I feel that I've done my job as an advisor.

Reactions: 5 users

It looks like you applied late to a handful of USMD schools, didn't apply to any DO schools, then decided to go to SGU without even waiting for the current cycle to complete.

Don't lash out at data that suggests you made a poor decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It looks like you applied late to a handful of USMD schools, didn't apply to any DO schools, then decided to go to SGU without even waiting for the current cycle to complete.

Wow, thanks jackass! Just because White westerners hate everything that isn’t lily white doesn’t mean I made a bad decision. Caribbean students learn the SAME material and take the SAME licensing exams but because they didn’t do it in your lily white context they’re stupid?

Get a life and stop pontificating and condescending to everyone.

Data makes you angry? You know what makes me angry? People getting fleeced by criminal organizations. I have no argument with the students, even if they are making bad choices. It's the people taking advantage of them that I have the objection to.

So if I can help prevent a person from making a disastrous mistake, I feel that I've done my job as an advisor.

I didn’t say I was angry. It seems like you derive some kind of pleasure by being condescending. It seems like this forum is your whole life and you feel validated by all the young people here brownosing you.

Wow, thanks jackass! Just because White westerners hate everything that isn’t lily white doesn’t mean I made a bad decision. Caribbean students learn the SAME material and take the SAME licensing exams but because they didn’t do it in your lily white context they’re stupid?

Good luck. I think you'll need it.

Go to hell?

As I said to you in reply to your colorful PM, lose the attitude and understand you've made a series of mistakes in your application process that led you to applying, interviewing at, and possibly being accepted to SGU. You're not doing yourself any favors by letting this anger and frustration lead you to lash out at people pointing out your mistakes.

I will reiterate the advice I gave you there: rescind your offer at SGU (if you have one; you said you interviewed but never said you were accepted) and apply properly and early to a broad selection of MD and DO schools. And to leave the anger and ego behind you.

BTW, I had a failed US school application cycle, even though I applied broadly to MD and DO schools. I didn't run to the Caribbean, and now I'm about to graduate from a US MD institution.

All I know is I had 27 interviews (Majority Radiology) all over the country and I went to a Caribbean School

Reactions: 2 users

Lol. These people are trying to help you from making a rash decision. No need to get so worked up. Need some delayed gratification.

Lol. These people are trying to help you from making a rash decision. No need to get so worked up. Need some delayed gratification.
Gee, thanks Mom

Gee, thanks Mom
Do whatever you want. After all it's your life, no one should tell you how to live it. They can only advise you, but at the end of the day the decisions are yours to make. Whether you fail or succeed own your decisions with all the consequences that come with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

BTW, I had a failed US school application cycle, even though I applied broadly to MD and DO schools. I didn't run to the Caribbean, and now I'm about to graduate from a US MD institution.

+1. I had 2 cycles and accepted on the third. Graduated from a US MD institution, now in residency.

There were people in my class who had 3 or more failed cycles. One got in on his 6th. All in residency now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
My take on things. Sorry this is a copy/paste from other threads I posted on.
=================================
I went to the Caribbean. Graduated 2014.
Finished IM residency 2017. Worked this year at a hospitalist while applying to subspecialty. Matched to a great university program to start this July 2018.

Even with all this I implore you to exhaust all US options. Otherwise you constantly have this burden on you that you can never slip up. You will have to score higher on every exam and stand out compare to your US peers.

Fellowship wise - I would say besides my strong Step scores, I had very strong support from my IM program leadership and I interview well. Basically no one cuts you any slack if you're from the Carib.

The way I approached fellowship interviews was to put a positive spin on going to Caribbean. I.e. overcoming stigmas etc.

I definitely felt I was at a disadvantage during the fellowship interview trail. There were times I was the only Carib grad among AMGs in the room and knew there was no way I was gonna get ranked higher than them regardless of my interview skills and accomplishments. In general, a big academic place is not gonna jeopardize their reputation by doing that. Fortunately for me, I hit it off with a couple PDs from big academic programs who didnt seem to care too much for the status quo.

Point being - this process is hell of a lot easier and less stressful without having the Caribbean badge to add to it.
There are all kinds of new post bacc programs, DO schools, etc. And if your
academic career thus far sucks then most likely trying to learn basic science on an island may not be the best way.

Despite all that, I truly enjoyed my journey thus far - from the east coast to the Caribbean, to residency on the west coast, it has molded me to the physician that I am today. I love connecting with my patients and being a physician is an amazing way to live life. So you gotta make your own decisions, but know its not an easy route. All the objective data supports that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Many years ago when looking at med schools to apply to as a nontrad applicant, I did consider Caribbean schools. Luckily, SDN helped me a lot, not because of the advice given in this forum, but just by reading the posts of people already in the Caribbean, and the type of people they are. I did not want to be in the same classroom with people like mushroomed. Also, the plethora of "Carib grad, no residency, help!" posts on SDN gave me pause. Reading between the lines I realized it's best to steer clear of Carib schools. As a nontrad with life experiences, I knew better. Unfortunately, younger people are not so good at reading between the lines and fall prey to these schools.

I share Goro's frustration. We try to give people a dose of reality, but we still get shot down by the posters who bend and twist statistics, or that provide the "there was a Carib grad back in 1968 that got a spot at Johns Hopkins neurosurgery, so you can too!" logic.

The PD Survey might be data that angers some people, but that's the reality of how things are right now. I understand there are Carib grads that make it into competitive residencies, but the majority won't. However, humans are made to hope, Carib schools know this and use it to their very effective advantage.

The Program Directors survey show that as an aggregate, PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more than they will for DOs.
Many years ago when looking at med schools to apply to as a nontrad applicant, I did consider Caribbean schools. Luckily, SDN helped me a lot, not because of the advice given in this forum, but just by reading the posts of people already in the Caribbean, and the type of people they are. I did not want to be in the same classroom with people like mushroomed. Also, the plethora of "Carib grad, no residency, help!" posts on SDN gave me pause. Reading between the lines I realized it's best to steer clear of Carib schools. As a nontrad with life experiences, I knew better. Unfortunately, younger people are not so good at reading between the lines and fall prey to these schools.

I share Goro's frustration. We try to give people a dose of reality, but we still get shot down by the posters who bend and twist statistics, or that provide the "there was a Carib grad back in 1968 that got a spot at Johns Hopkins neurosurgery, so you can too!" logic.

The PD Survey might be data that angers some people, but that's the reality of how things are right now. I understand there are Carib grads that make it into competitive residencies, but the majority won't. However, humans are made to hope, Carib schools know this and use it to their very effective advantage.
Except the problem is, these posters are arguing against a non-existent group of people. Everyone who posts regularly on this topic tells people to proceed with caution, to only consider the Caribbean after all other avenues, etc. There's the rare premed who comes in saying "I'm going Caribbean and will do ortho" blah, blah, blah, but no one who regularly posts expresses this sentiment.

And by far, those "who bend and twist statistics" are from the anti-Caribbean crowd. You know how many times Goro's anti-Caribbean rant has changed over the years after it's been pointed out that what he is saying is just blatantly false? If I had a nickel...

The above quote about the PD survey is a perfect example. This is the survey in question,
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

"as an aggregate, PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more than they will for DOs." Oh really?

page 7.
-Percentage of Programs that Typically Interview and Rank Each Applicant Type: 17% consider all, DO 72%, US-IMG 64%.
-Frequency of Programs Interviewing and Ranking Candidates: 14% never rank DO, 15% never rank US-IMG

So which stat qualifies as "PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more"? The 1% difference in the never rank, or the 8% difference in the typically?

Reactions: 2 users
Except the problem is, these posters are arguing against a non-existent group of people. Everyone who posts regularly on this topic tells people to proceed with caution, to only consider the Caribbean after all other avenues, etc. There's the rare premed who comes in saying "I'm going Caribbean and will do ortho" blah, blah, blah, but no one who regularly posts expresses this sentiment.

And by far, those "who bend and twist statistics" are from the anti-Caribbean crowd. You know how many times Goro's anti-Caribbean rant has changed over the years after it's been pointed out that what he is saying is just blatantly false? If I had a nickel...

The above quote about the PD survey is a perfect example. This is the survey in question,
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

"as an aggregate, PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more than they will for DOs." Oh really?

page 7.
-Percentage of Programs that Typically Interview and Rank Each Applicant Type: 17% consider all, DO 72%, US-IMG 64%.
-Frequency of Programs Interviewing and Ranking Candidates: 14% never rank DO, 15% never rank US-IMG

So which stat qualifies as "PDS refuse to rank or interview IMGS FAR more"? The 1% difference in the never rank, or the 8% difference in the typically?
Just throwing this out there. Until rescently DOs had the DO match which made that 72 percent not that big of a deal which the IMGs did not have. Just a thought. Not really making a stance.

Edit: apparently cant type on a cell phone.

Just throwing this out there. Until rescently DOs had the DO match which made that 72 percent not that big of a deal which the IMGs did not have. Just a thought. Not really making a stance.

Edit: apparently cant type on a cell phone.
Nonsensical sentence, please revise.

Nonsensical sentence, please revise.
That number that states that only 72 percent of PD's will rank DO's is referring to ACGME programs. However, until 2020 there is still the AOA match. So, DO's still had a significantly higher chance matching. The poster stated a defense that the difference between PD's ranking DO's (72%) and PD's ranking IMG's (64%) is minuscule in comparison. Which may be the case, however it is not accounting for the AOA match that DO's had the opportunity to participate in that IMG's did not. Also, many of those AOA programs are gaining ACGME accreditation and possibly will still rank DO's. So, the defense that those numbers are similar really doesn't hold that much weight.

Edit: Someone correct me if I am talking nonsense.

That number that states that only 72 percent of PD's will rank DO's is referring to ACGME programs. However, until 2020 there is still the AOA match. So, DO's still had a significantly higher chance matching. The poster stated a defense that the difference between PD's ranking DO's (72%) and PD's ranking IMG's (64%) is minuscule in comparison. Which may be the case, however it is not accounting for the AOA match that DO's had the opportunity to participate in that IMG's did not. Also, many of those AOA programs are gaining ACGME accreditation and possibly will still rank DO's. So, the defense that those numbers are similar really doesn't hold that much weight.

Edit: Someone correct me if I am talking nonsense.
No one is arguing that DOs having (for now) protected AOA only residency positions isn't a big plus. In fact, no one is arguing the fact that overall going DO is preferable to the Caribbean.

What I was specifically taking issue is the nonsense and pure afactual hogwash that some of the above posters continually post about this subject.

Goro wasn't making a comment on the advantages of DO because of protected residency positions, he was claiming that ACGME PDs refuse to rank IMGs "FAR more" than DOs, and trying to use the NRMP PD survey as his source. That's just a lie, plain and simple.

And if we're actually going to analyze what he said, we should disregard the typically data, as he specifically wrote "refuse to rank or interview." The data shows that basically the exact same percent of ACGME PDs "refuse to rank or interview" US-IMGs and DOs (15% vs 14%).

No one is arguing that DOs having (for now) protected AOA only residency positions isn't a big plus. In fact, no one is arguing the fact that overall going DO is preferable to the Caribbean.

What I was specifically taking issue is the nonsense and pure afactual hogwash that some of the above posters continually post about this subject.

Goro wasn't making a comment on the advantages of DO because of protected residency positions, he was claiming that ACGME PDs refuse to rank IMGs "FAR more" than DOs, and trying to use the NRMP PD survey as his source. That's just a lie, plain and simple.

And if we're actually going to analyze what he said, we should disregard the typically data, as he specifically wrote "refuse to rank or interview." The data shows that basically the exact same percent of ACGME PDs "refuse to rank or interview" US-IMGs and DOs (15% vs 14%).
Very well. I see your point!

I find it hilarious that you decided that the person replying to you was a white westerner. That's pretty racist of you.

OP, as a student from ROSS whom has been through the battle and 98% done with school. Here is my two cents.

You opened a can of worms once you asked whether you would make it into/through either ROSS or SGU. You knew publishing this would make forum trolls appear out of thin air and comment the words "NO, don't go". I would say, "it is your money, your time, and ultimately your life". With a sub-par GPA in undergrad it "could" predict the outcome of medical school, but you are the only variable that could create a different future. I have met many people whom walked through Ross with a horrible MCAT or GPA unworthy of medicine, but they proved to be the hardest worker and the smartest people whom are on track to match this year.

My own story may not be the same as yours as a I had a high GPA, but low MCAT of 20 after 3 times taking the exam. However, it is possible to make it through if you are mature enough to manage your studies and stay focus. If you are young, naive and YOLO type of person... this route isn't made for the faint hearted and weak minded.

Go forth and make your decision... Padawan.
Can I ask how your Ross experience was? From the "weeding out" process, to how rotations went?

Can I ask how your Ross experience was? From the "weeding out" process, to how rotations went?

@hmania recently started residency. She does not post here often (although when she does it is appreciated).

Check out her other thread here:

This pretty much chronicles her entire experience, start to finish, and shows what a determined student can do. It's also chock full of a lot of other very good information, including the unpacking and refuting of a lot of false information that is still regurgitated to this day, and even on this very thread.

Other than that, Ross has gone through a lot of changes in the past year secondary to Hurricane Maria which devastated the island of Dominica. As a result, Ross is moving their campus permanently to the island of Barbados.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

That said... These are general comments. Observations that haven't changed - and won't change - since well before even I attended Ross and personally decided to "go Caribbean". Certain posters like to engage in all kinds of circumstantial ad hominem from the "it's different now" to the "you're a Ross shill" variety. Poppycock. These are universally true. Always have been. Always will be.

1) It's hard. Much harder than you can now realize. There is more than a fair chance that you won't make it.

2) You have to deal with all manner of idiocy and bias (as is, for example, illustrated on this very thread) that will never be openly stated to your face. It doesn't mean that you necessarily can't and won't achieve. It just means there are people out there who blanket themselves in their comfortable delusions because what they believe "just makes sense" and they, as has been demonstrated even here, aren't really interested in being challenged.

3) Be careful because you might get what you wished for. That statement holds true from the moment you get your acceptance through getting your board-certification in your specialty. It's a very, very hard job full of people that, frankly, range from being continuously jealous of your accomplishments and trying to tear you down to those who could care less that you're a "doctor" (no matter where you went) and are going to tell you how you should do your job. It will be full of bureaucrats and opinion leaders and mid-level managers making you do stupid and pointless training, telling you what you can and can't prescribe, and continually threatening you that you will lose your privileges if you don't meet certain benchmarks.

This is what medicine has come to. I often joke and apologize with patients as I roll up to them with a computer, "Sorry, you know nowadays I have to treat you ... and the computer. And, it takes 5 minutes for me to actually do the job and 20 minutes to write about it."

So, before you start this journey anywhere ask yourself this: "Do I really want to be a doctor?" You can't possibly know that now. But, if it is simply to achieve some perceived cachet and all the accoutrements that come along with that, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Your life is going to be filled with nurse managers and "mid-level" practitioners. It will be spent kissing a lot of ass, not having yours kissed.

You have been warned.

-Skip

Last edited by a moderator:
@hmania recently started residency. She does not post here often (although when she does it is appreciated).

Check out her other thread here:

This pretty much chronicles her entire experience, start to finish, and shows what a determined student can do. It's also chock full of a lot of other very good information, including the unpacking and refuting of a lot of false information that is still regurgitated to this day, and even on this very thread.

Other than that, Ross has gone through a lot of changes in the past year secondary to Hurricane Maria which devastated the island of Dominica. As a result, Ross is moving their campus permanently to the island of Barbados.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

That said... These are general comments. Observations that haven't changed - and won't change - since well before even I attended Ross and personally decided to "go Caribbean". Certain posters like to engage in all kinds of rom the "it's different now" to the "you're a Ross shill" variety. Poppycock. These are universally true. Always have been. Always will be.

1) It's hard. Much harder than you can now realize. There is more than a fair chance that you won't make it.

2) You have to deal with all manner of idiocy and bias (as is, for example, illustrated on this very thread) that will never be openly stated to your face. It doesn't mean that you necessarily can't and won't achieve. It just means there are people out there who blanket themselves in their comfortable delusions because what they believe "just makes sense" and they, as has been demonstrated even here, aren't really interested in being challenged.

3) Be careful because you might get what you wished for. That statement holds true from the moment you get your acceptance through getting your board-certification in your specialty. It's a very, very hard job full of people that, frankly, range from being continuously jealous of your accomplishments and trying to tear you down to those who could care less that you're a "doctor" (no matter where you went) and are going to tell you how you should do your job. It will be full of bureaucrats and opinion leaders and mid-level managers making you do stupid and pointless training, telling you what you can and can't prescribe, and continually threatening you that you will lose your privileges if you don't meet certain benchmarks.

This is what medicine has come to. I often joke and apologize with patients as I roll up to them with a computer, "Sorry, you know nowadays I have to treat you ... and the computer. And, it takes 5 minutes for me to actually do the job and 20 minutes to write about it."

So, before you start this journey anywhere ask yourself this: "Do I really want to be a doctor?" You can't possibly know that now. But, if it is simply to achieve some perceived cachet and all the accoutrements that come along with that, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Your life is going to be filled with nurse managers and "mid-level" practitioners and @Goro types. It will be spent kissing a lot of ass, not having yours kissed.

You have been warned.

-Skip
Thanks for the reply Skip. I've gone through countless threads, comments, videos, other forums, match statistics, etc for the past couple months and what I've realized is if I'm gonna take any advice from the internet on whether to follow the Carib route, it should be advice from those who have walked or are currently walking that route. I'm the typical <3.0 GPA with an upward trend graduating this December who got his stuff together way to late and will have racked 155 credits. I truly have no idea if to do a DIY post bacc with an SMP to follow and THEN apply DO, or simply save that time/money because it doesn't guarantee me anything anyway and do enough to get a SGU/Ross acceptance. It's not a matter of is this for me, its a matter of which route do I choose. If I do a DIY postbacc it'll practically end up doing 3/4th of a new bachelors to barely reach a 3.0 and that's assuming a keep a perfect 4.0. Drop it to 3.9 and easily gotta 10-15 credits to make up for that .1. This and the SMP will take years and not to mention serious cash. That's where Caribbean school in. The money I'd be investing in that post undergrad will prob even out if I just take the Caribbean route plus assuming all goes well, that's 2-4 years of my life I'm "saving". Whenever I think of the Caribbean route I begin to think of the stigma and mainly how the merger could possibly screw me over. I've tried to scavenge for info on the merger in respects to IMGs in order to help me weight the Caribbean options but I haven't found anything useful. And it's understandable I guess since we're still not there yet. I don't want you to think I'm looking for a shortcut because sometimes I think doing the postbacc/SMP route is me paying my dues and putting in the work I didn't do my first 3 years of undergrad but at the same time screw that. If I'm well aware of what's at stake and can save myself time and money, why not? Point is, I'm lost and truly am no nowhere near making a concrete decision (and I know that's okay for now). I just need solid guidance on how to reach it.

Whenever I think of the Caribbean route I begin to think of the stigma and mainly how the merger could possibly screw me over. I've tried to scavenge for info on the merger in respects to IMGs in order to help me weight the Caribbean options but I haven't found anything useful.

It is my opinion, as well as that of others, that the ACGME/AOA merger will only negatively affect Osteopathic graduates. That is, all of the previously protected osteopathic-only spots will be opened up to everyone. Bad for osteopthatic graduates; good for everyone else vying for coveted specialties. Anyone else who thinks this is wrong or will somehow hurt IMGs just completely doesn't understand the demographics or the overall process of the Match (i.e., all ACGME spots offered have always been open to everyone, including DOs; osteopathic-only spots have prior to the merger only been available to Osteopathic grads - after the merger, no more).

I don't want you to think I'm looking for a shortcut because sometimes I think doing the postbacc/SMP route is me paying my dues and putting in the work I didn't do my first 3 years of undergrad but at the same time screw that.

This was apparently first published two years ago (no idea if it's been updated)...

https://rampages.us/preprofadv/wp-c...dical-Programs-With-Guaranteed-Admissions.pdf

... or even if it's valid, but a bridge program would be a far better option. If you need a post-bacc (and it sounds like you do), go to one that will reserve a spot for you when you're done/finish it. That is, you're guaranteed an admission.

I would not do such a program in the Caribbean - that is my personal opinion and should not be the basis of anyone's own decision. I have said before on this forum, that if you fail at such a program you have nothing. If you do an SMP (or otherwise), you have valid credits and/or a master's degree from an accredited university in the U.S. that will open other doors.

Good luck!

-Skip

It is my opinion, as well as thatof others, that the ACGME/AOA merger will only negatively affect Osteopathic graduates. That is, all of the previously protected osteopathic-only spots will be opened up to everyone. Bad for osteopthatic graduates; good for everyone else vying for coveted specialties. Anyone else who thinks this is wrong or will somehow hurt IMGs just completely doesn't understand the demographics or the overall process of the Match (i.e., all ACGME spots offered have always been open to everyone, including DOs; osteopathic-only spots have prior to the merger only been available to Osteopathic grads - after the merger, no more).
I most definitely am not qualified to say I "understand the demographics or the overall process of the Match" but I had a similar thought process from all the data I had gathered over time and it's almost a relief that you and others agree.
... or even if it's valid, but a bridge program would be a far better option. If you need a post-bacc (and it sounds like you do), go to one that will reserve a spot for you when you're done/finish it. That is, you're guaranteed an admission.

I would not do such a program in the Caribbean - that is my personal opinion and should not be the basis of anyone's own decision. I have said before on this forum, that if you fail at such a program you have nothing. If you do an SMP (or otherwise), you have valid credits and/or a master's degree from an accredited university in the U.S. that will open other doors.

Thanks for the list! I missed some of the schools there. I had complied my own list of all the "good" post bacc programs as well as those SMP's with a linkage to their/a medical school and those I may possibly have a shot at. I guess I wasn't as clear, I VERY much need either a postbacc and/or (most likely both) in order to get into a medical school. I'm finishing up with a 2.72 with 155 credits. This is WITH grade replacement. We're talking most likely 2.5ish maybe high 2.4 without grade replacement. This means it highly limits which post bacc/ SMP's I can get into. There is Nova which has a 2.5, Drexel (I'm a URM so that helps here) and VCOM/Bluefield I believe is also under 3.0 and they're all SMP's with linkage. Thing is, even though I just barely fit requirement they're highly competitive with about 40-60 seats in and 500+ applicants. Why on earth would they take me over those with a 3.0+. I understand I can do better than average/kill the MCAT but even then I don't feel like I'd get in. I'm assuming most of these people applying can get into med school with the stats if they tweak a thing or two. I gotta tweak everything. In order to tweak (I'm assuming) will take years and thats when the time/money problem I mentioned in my previous post comes in. Im assuming I wont be able to get into SGU but I'd gladly go to Ross if I go to a Caribbean. I'm also assuming I prob won't get in first shot and most likely MERP'd. At that point its 5 months of work and straight to Ross as opposed to year(s) of tweaking to just barely apply to a program with linkage (praying I get in first shot), complete it and THEN go to medical.
I hope I made my dilemma clearer. If you got any advice, I'd gladly take it. Also, what if I can't get into any program that has a linkage? Not only am I still in the air with no guarantee to a medical school but I've possibly been midway (or more) through Ross.

I most definitely am not qualified to say I "understand the demographics or the overall process of the Match" but I had a similar thought process from all the data I had gathered over time and it's almost a relief that you and others agree.

Thanks for the list! I missed some of the schools there. I had complied my own list of all the "good" post bacc programs as well as those SMP's with a linkage to their/a medical school and those I may possibly have a shot at. I guess I wasn't as clear, I VERY much need either a postbacc and/or (most likely both) in order to get into a medical school. I'm finishing up with a 2.72 with 155 credits. This is WITH grade replacement. We're talking most likely 2.5ish maybe high 2.4 without grade replacement. This means it highly limits which post bacc/ SMP's I can get into. There is Nova which has a 2.5, Drexel (I'm a URM so that helps here) and VCOM/Bluefield I believe is also under 3.0 and they're all SMP's with linkage. Thing is, even though I just barely fit requirement they're highly competitive with about 40-60 seats in and 500+ applicants. Why on earth would they take me over those with a 3.0+. I understand I can do better than average/kill the MCAT but even then I don't feel like I'd get in. I'm assuming most of these people applying can get into med school with the stats if they tweak a thing or two. I gotta tweak everything. In order to tweak (I'm assuming) will take years and thats when the time/money problem I mentioned in my previous post comes in. Im assuming I wont be able to get into SGU but I'd gladly go to Ross if I go to a Caribbean. I'm also assuming I prob won't get in first shot and most likely MERP'd. At that point its 5 months of work and straight to Ross as opposed to year(s) of tweaking to just barely apply to a program with linkage (praying I get in first shot), complete it and THEN go to medical.
I hope I made my dilemma clearer. If you got any advice, I'd gladly take it. Also, what if I can't get into any program that has a linkage? Not only am I still in the air with no guarantee to a medical school but I've possibly been midway (or more) through Ross.

Lol wtf are you me? We are literally in the EXACT same situation right now. Like EXACT I'm not even kidding lol
I decided to go the Caribb route and applied to both SGU and Ross. I say do it. PM me

Edit: also SGU does use grade replacement, just a FYI

What is the cause of your low gpa?

What causes the confidence you can do well on the mcat?

Lol wtf are you me? We are literally in the EXACT same situation right now. Like EXACT I'm not even kidding lol
I decided to go the Caribb route and applied to both SGU and Ross. I say do it. PM me

Edit: also SGU does use grade replacement, just a FYI
It won't let me PM (I think, I'm still new to SDN). Could you PM me?

What is the cause of your low gpa?
Leaving high school, I graduated with high GPA (4.0+) and good SAT scores. Enough to land me multiple scholarships and go to school for free. Honestly, I was just immature and didn't realize the gravity of harm I was doing to future me. Put it this way. I failed intro to psych twice because I literally never went and got a C+ in a mandatory 1 credit freshman course which you pretty much just gotta attend and breathe. Truthfully just went to school to collect my free money. I was always pissed deep down I never left home and kinda felt like a loser for not going to great schools out of state which 100% I could've gotten into. Looking back I think that was what fueled my downward spiral. All I did was playing video games, skip class, and collect my financial aid money that is until I got dismissed and lost everything. It was a wake up call. Took time, but eventually I finally realized that I still wanna do medical school. Got A in orgo classes, B in a biochem (made a mistake taking it in a 6 week summer course), A's in grade replacement for bio classes and labs (had F's all of these, again i nver took a single test for virutally any of the classes). Only classes where I did't have that "upward trend" was physics (C's).
What causes the confidence you can do well on the mcat?

I 100% am not a genius, but I've put enough work in the tail end to feel like I have a decent science background ESPECIALLY if I put 3-4 months of solid MCAT studying. As a psych major, I wouldn't need to go ham on studying that section and I took a next step diagnostics of just the CARS the other day and scored a 127 when I havent done a single passage or high level reading like that since god knows when (I know diagnostics means nothing but it's better than not finishing/scoring a 120). As for the other sections, I have a decent orgo background tho my physics I'd really need to bunker down and my biochem also got a lot of holes to fill in.

Status
Not open for further replies.