CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I am definitely not worried, just curious about CCOM. If I get an interview, cool and if I get rejected, eh. Its just the not knowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite (sent at 3:20 am?)!!! :):):)

At this point, the first dates available aren't until mid-late-October.

Who else is going to be there October 21?

So excited!!!

Has anyone done the general campus tours for Midwestern? I just got an e-mail from the school about them and was wondering if they are worth doing in regards to my specific interest in the med school. Also do they give the opportunity to meet with advisors during these visits? Any feedback on this would be appreciated because I live five hours from the school and do not want to go if its not worth the drive. Thanks in advance.

AGREED on Healthcare Professionals Career day- that's useful. You can even turn it beneficial if you mingle- a few big wigs attend. Do NOT talk to the advisers, they are completely useless, at least the one I talked to- but he wasn't DO specific, pretty sure he was just the adviser for the entire school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think i'm ganna be staying in downtown chicago (around the magnificent mile) the weekend before my interview.... does anyone know of any "cheap" hotels around there?

Watch out for traffic, it gets very bad sometimes.

Also, watch out for cheap hotels- I interviewed last year (elsewhere) and chose a cheap hotel, it was extra stinky and the attendants looked like the folks from Hills Have Eyes. I "slept" with the lights on and left my suit outside so it would not smell of the hotel. Not something you want to go through the night before your interview.

How is the interview structured? What do they ask? What's a good way to prepare?

:scared::help::scared::help::scared::help::scared::help:

For those of you with invites today, when were you complete?

I received the "you're complete" email Friday, August 26th, and received the II this morning.

Wow that's a really quick turnaround...I got the complete email this morning :) hopefully hear something good in the next week then! :xf:

I've been complete for at least a month. No news from CCOM. It seems like those who have gotten interview invites have gotten them quickly after being complete.

In my opinion, St Charles would be too far away from CCOM. Try trip advisor or yelp for reviews of hotels in Downers Grove, Lisle,Lombard,Oak Brook, and Naperville (north side)and even Warrenville (Cantera area). All are within 15-20 minutes of CCOM. If you don't have your own transportation be sure to check on a shuttle from your hotel. Anyone coming from Midway or O'Hare might want to prearrange a limo or taxi.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is the interview structured? What do they ask? What's a good way to prepare?

it will be you and two or three people. it should be a conversation. they will have your cv in front of them. they will ask you basic questions. but it is very casual and should be unstressful :)
gl

When I interviewed last year, I was with a group of about 12 interviewees and sectioned off into 3 groups of 4 people/group (each group has the same interviewers). Initially, someone took all of us into a room where we were given a few informative schpeels, and the Dean came in to speak to us. After that, one person from each group was sent out to interview, and the others waited until they returned, then the second set of people from each group went, etc. Essentially you'll be waiting in that first room for the majority of your interviewing day, but while you wait students will randomly walk in to say 'hi' and answer any questions you may have. After interviews are done you'll get a run-down of financial info, a tour of campus (which should be exciting for you guys, since we just got new OMM and Cadaver labs!) by either first or second-years, and then you'll go to lunch, and that should be it for the day.

The interview itself is made to be relaxed and conversational so the interviewers can truly see your personality shine through. My interview lasted for 30 minutes, and I was interviewed by three people: a DO, a faculty Ph.D., and a 4th year student. You will be the only applicant in the actual interview. For the most part it was pretty laid-back and I didn't get any 'curve balls'. But be prepared to have a concise answer to "why medicine" and more specifically, "why CCOM and DO"? CCOM is very proud to be an osteopathic school with such a great history. Do your research on CCOM, figure out what clubs you could see yourself joining, and let the interviewers know that you understand what it could be like to be a student here, and how you and CCOM would benefit from your matriculation. I also received a question regarding my opinion to the current health-care debate, how I handle stress, and some others that were more generic. Also, be prepared to ask questions of your interviewers because they will always ask if you have some for them (this is true of many med schools!). Remember, this is your opportunity to get to know them and see how they can contribute to your career!

It is to your advantage that you act as if your interview begins the moment you step foot on campus and doesn't end until you leave. It is hard to tell who will be a part of the decision-making process, and it is a safe bet that people are watching you to see how you interact with other applicants and faculty, and how you ultimately present yourself. Get to know the other applicants, and ask questions of the students you get to interact with. Talking with other applicants greatly helped me to relax before my interview, and the students who came in to answer questions are extremely well-informed and eager to help!

Take home message: be well-informed about osteopathy and CCOM, be friendly and social (smiles are extremely underrated, especially in the interview!), but just rrrreeeellllaaaaxxxx as much as you can. If you have been invited to interview at CCOM they are already very impressed with you, so feel confident that you have a strong application. Of my interview group, 6 of us are now classmates, and who knows how many others may have been accepted.

Oh, and you should typically hear back within a month.

As always, remember that I interviewed a year ago and things may have changed. But if anyone has any questions for me regarding the application process or questions regarding CCOM please don't hesitate to PM me. I am an MS-I, but I will try to answer any questions you may have!)

Good luck!

anyone interviewing on Oct 3 who might want to sync up travel plans (airport shuttle, maybe hotel) so we can split costs?

it will be you and two or three people. it should be a conversation. they will have your cv in front of them. they will ask you basic questions. but it is very casual and should be unstressful :)
gl

When I interviewed last year, I was with a group of about 12 interviewees and sectioned off into 3 groups of 4 people/group (each group has the same interviewers). Initially, someone took all of us into a room where we were given a few informative schpeels, and the Dean came in to speak to us. After that, one person from each group was sent out to interview, and the others waited until they returned, then the second set of people from each group went, etc. Essentially you'll be waiting in that first room for the majority of your interviewing day, but while you wait students will randomly walk in to say 'hi' and answer any questions you may have. After interviews are done you'll get a run-down of financial info, a tour of campus (which should be exciting for you guys, since we just got new OMM and Cadaver labs!) by either first or second-years, and then you'll go to lunch, and that should be it for the day.

The interview itself is made to be relaxed and conversational so the interviewers can truly see your personality shine through. My interview lasted for 30 minutes, and I was interviewed by three people: a DO, a faculty Ph.D., and a 4th year student. You will be the only applicant in the actual interview. For the most part it was pretty laid-back and I didn't get any 'curve balls'. But be prepared to have a concise answer to "why medicine" and more specifically, "why CCOM and DO"? CCOM is very proud to be an osteopathic school with such a great history. Do your research on CCOM, figure out what clubs you could see yourself joining, and let the interviewers know that you understand what it could be like to be a student here, and how you and CCOM would benefit from your matriculation. I also received a question regarding my opinion to the current health-care debate, how I handle stress, and some others that were more generic. Also, be prepared to ask questions of your interviewers because they will always ask if you have some for them (this is true of many med schools!). Remember, this is your opportunity to get to know them and see how they can contribute to your career!

It is to your advantage that you act as if your interview begins the moment you step foot on campus and doesn't end until you leave. It is hard to tell who will be a part of the decision-making process, and it is a safe bet that people are watching you to see how you interact with other applicants and faculty, and how you ultimately present yourself. Get to know the other applicants, and ask questions of the students you get to interact with. Talking with other applicants greatly helped me to relax before my interview, and the students who came in to answer questions are extremely well-informed and eager to help!

Take home message: be well-informed about osteopathy and CCOM, be friendly and social (smiles are extremely underrated, especially in the interview!), but just rrrreeeellllaaaaxxxx as much as you can. If you have been invited to interview at CCOM they are already very impressed with you, so feel confident that you have a strong application. Of my interview group, 6 of us are now classmates, and who knows how many others may have been accepted.

As always, remember that I interviewed a year ago and things may have changed. But if anyone has any questions for me regarding the application process or questions regarding CCOM please don't hesitate to PM me. I am an MS-I, but I will try to answer any questions you may have!)

Good luck!

:clap::clap::clap:
Thanks!

P.S. @mommy2three I think I met you when I came for a Health Care Professionals Career Day!!! Thanks for being there!

:clap::clap::clap:
Thanks!

P.S. @mommy2three I think I met you when I came for a Health Care Professionals Career Day!!! Thanks for being there!

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

and again there goes my super secret identity

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

but seriously, you are welcome. it is always such a pleasure to meet new/prosepctive students :)

Good luck!

Thanks! :) :) :)

+1. I feel like emailing them to say, "Piss or get off the pot." Oh well. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Haha, I want to hear back from them too.

Congrats on getting an interview at every other school you applied to. That's awesome. Hopefully CCOM will come around as well. :luck:

great...a big, LONG weekend...

this is the one school on top of my list, and the one i haven't heard any reply from... i was complete around august 18th... how do u know if you've been put on hold btw?

To sunshine 3:

I'm interviewing on Oct. 3rd as well. Have you booked a hotel to stay at? I'll be over at the Marriot TownePlace Suites in Lombard.

I won't be going straight to the airport after the interview because I've planned to visit relatives in the area for the afternoon. So I won't be able to sync up with you on that...

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

and again there goes my super secret identity

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

but seriously, you are welcome. it is always such a pleasure to meet new/prosepctive students :)

Awww. I wanna meet mommy2three too! I thought I could maybe guess who it is by seeing which MS2 is the nicest on SibDay but it was to no avail....

What is SibDay?

each ms1 is assigned a ms2 as a big sib....you get to meet them at an event where you get a bunch of information from them. it is basically someone else to talk to and pick the brains of to see what works and what does not.

Awww. I wanna meet mommy2three too! I thought I could maybe guess who it is by seeing which MS2 is the nicest on SibDay but it was to no avail....

i was not at sib day as neither of my littles were there :)
but i am not THAT hard to find....just look for the little short haired blondish gal with the bifocals and an occasional gray hair
:laugh:

No ii for me either :(...As a first time applicant to med schools, I have to say, the waiting game is just nuts, haha. I check my email at least every 5 minutes...

ok..first of all!...so many interviews...WOW! congrats everyone.
I have not even sent out my secondary yet. Sad but true...sad part, I was waiting to be verified for the aacomas fee waiver (mistake on my part) didn't end up getting it. But now i'm kind of late in the game.

Can anyone please tell me if it's ok for me to send the CCOM secondary without actually receiving their secondary invite. (also didn't get any verification email from aacomas, but everything has been loaded as evident on the application, check marks and all).

appreciate the feed back

once again...CONGRATS to all of you who got interviews...:luck:

I was invited for an interview couple of weeks ago:):):):). Does anyone know how many they interview for their 200 spots?

how can you log into the site to submit if you haven't gotten a secondary invite?

oh :( I have not checked the CCOM website yet, but I already submitted secondaries for two schools. I was hoping I would not need to be emailed an access code ...i guess. Oh well. I guess i'll just have it preped and ready for when they email me.

Thanks

True, but I am comiing from Iowa, so I am no stranger to crappy weather. Just got to drive faster so you spend less tiime in it, right?

i can not imagine that snow + iowa traffic is anywhere near the nightmare of snow + chicago traffic (at least for the first snow)

Well that is probably true. First time to chicago I was driving at 5am and that traffic was like our rush hour traffic.

:eek: I had to drive through the entire city last week (I'm way north and was coming back from Indiana) right smack in the middle of chicago rush hour. It's kind of amusing to see "SPEED LIMIT 55" on signs when you're barely cracking 15 mph. :laugh:

i can not imagine that snow + iowa traffic is anywhere near the nightmare of snow + chicago traffic (at least for the first snow)

I'm from michigan. 'nuff said :p

(ridiculous weather, awful drivers, traffic, and roads)

I'm from michigan. 'nuff said :p

(ridiculous weather, awful drivers, traffic, and roads)
i still think the ridiculous traffic of the 405 and the 101 in LA trumps all! i mean come on most of us in LA thought the world was ending when they were gonna close down part of the 405 (and it even caught national attention!)

I'd like to think, at least people who live in snow are used to it? Snow + Atlanta traffic (where absolutely no one knows how to drive in the snow) is a nightmare...

I'd like to think, at least people who live in snow are used to it? Snow + Atlanta traffic (where absolutely no one knows how to drive in the snow) is a nightmare...

you would think so....but in reality the first snow around here and we are all acting like atlanta drivers in snow

my hubby (who is from augusta) cracks up every time....he thinks we are funny up here. however, he does love the snow :)