CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
See some of you on the 19th! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who got interviews already.

Looks like a lot of you guys have very high stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

About to fill out the secondary essays, but I had a question about the CV. How did you decide to organize it as far as structure goes? I know it's probably not as important as content, but I want to make it look appealing lol.

Also, did you give descriptions for each of your activities? And was it similar to the description you had in your AACOMAS description box?

Lastly... did you put the total number of hours and hours/week on the CV as well?

Thanks!!

I don't have the file on hand cause I'm on my phone but I use a modified version from my grad school days and it goes something like this:

-education
-clinical and volunteer exp
-research exp
-teaching exp
-awards and honors
-clubs and organizations
-publications
-presentations
-hobbies

Hope this helps some :)

Descriptions are kept to one sentence and if I saw a procedure in the OR, I listed it. I think I mentioned the total hours as far as shadowing goes.

Hi guys,

About to fill out the secondary essays, but I had a question about the CV. How did you decide to organize it as far as structure goes? I know it's probably not as important as content, but I want to make it look appealing lol.

Also, did you give descriptions for each of your activities? And was it similar to the description you had in your AACOMAS description box?

Lastly... did you put the total number of hours and hours/week on the CV as well?

Thanks!!

I used bold underlined sections (Education, Medically Related Work, Teaching Experience, Research Experience, Technical Skills, Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Volunteer and Community Service, Publications and Presentations, and Hobbies and Interests) in the CV. I only listed the year for dates on the left hand side with the activity on the right hand side. I did not include descriptions of the activities in my CV. In general, you do not want to repeat information that you put in your primary application. The secondary is another opportunity to tell medical schools more about yourself. If you want to include a description, focus more on things you didn't write about in the primary AACOMAS. Also, I didn't put total number of hours... Hope this helped!

got my first DO secondary from CCOM! Will hopefully submit by end of this weekend.
undergrad GPA 3.41 grad GPA 3.7 + 3.7 MCAT 37R

Interview invite today! Scheduled for 9/27. Stats: 3.0 cGPA (oops), 3.7 sGPA, 4.0 gradGPA, 30 MCAT.

I was one of the ones a few pages back advocating for a 1 page CV. So brevity certainly didn't hurt (although that's not so say it's better for sure). My attitude on the CV is similar to EvryDayImHustln - don't repeat details that are already on your primary. I used the list of things they wanted, almost word for word, as my section headings. And then just put in the highpoints, and didn't try to put in more than would fit naturally. I made sure it was easy-to-read and well-organized, rather than trying to cram in every single possible bit of information.

Are there any kindhearted students from CCOM that would be willing to house an OOS interviewee on Oct. 2nd? :)

I'm also hoping to stay with a student. Other schools offer it, but I didn't see anything about students hosts from CCOM.

Interview October 4th!!! Got the email yesterday the one day I didn't check it!...do not wait too long to schedule!

Members don't see this ad :)
AHHH INTERVIEW INVITE AS WELL!!!! I literally just ran to my friends office down the hall and started jumping up and down!!!! CCOM is my top choice so Im sooo excited about this!!! I need to pick a day now...

i think they generally email but you can also check the site as well.

gl to those coming for an interview and rejoice that you are here before the snow :laugh:

i think i'm ganna be staying in downtown chicago (around the magnificent mile) the weekend before my interview.... does anyone know of any "cheap" hotels around there?

Hey congrats everyone on the invites. Can people say when they were complete vs when they received an interview? Hope to see you there soon!

chicago + cheap hotel downtown...words that don't go together.

try the chicago inn - its not as nice but its downtown. Stayed there when I ran the marathon in 2010

Or stay out in the 'burbs, unless you're planning on doing a bit of sightseeing/vacation afterwards?

planning a mini vacation over the weekend before my interview on monday (never been to chicago)

I live about 40 minutes from Midwestern so not right next to it but I am sure we have a space available if people would like a cheap/free place to stay.

How tailored to medical school are you guys making your resume (for the secondary application)? I'm not putting contact info for my job stuff or volunteer stuff, because resumes usually don't have that. What about putting the number of volunteer hours next to each volunteer experience - too much? I'm torn between worrying that CCOM might want that so they can quickly reference your credentials by looking at your resume, and between thinking "won't they see all the on the primary app, so who cares". Then again, they see the work experience and volunteer experience on the primary app, so it doesn't make such sense in the first place.

I added a hobbies section at the end of my CV. That was about it.

Considering that people who did either a resume or a CV are getting invites, I wouldn't freak out too much about formatting as long as it's organized.

I was complete 7/26 and was invited for an interview 8/17. Soooooo excited to go to Chicago... hopefully see some of you 10/11!!!!

Alright, so I guess I'll wait till early September to get an interview invite/be worried since everything was processed by 08/14 for me. lol Hope it works out because the doctor I shadowed for an entire semester wrote the shortest letter imaginable. Like maybe 6 sentences, but it was to the point at least. I don't get why he thought thqt would be good enough!! ::mad: Has anyone had a similar experience with their physician letter?

yes! I had a wimpy paragraph from my DO that I shadowed several times. I did land an interview at AZCOM so far with it, with less than average/poor stats. Probably doesn't matter. Don't worry too much. I think they just want to see that you shadowed a DO enough to get a letter, and are not necessarily concerned with content

yes! I had a wimpy paragraph from my DO that I shadowed several times. I did land an interview at AZCOM so far with it, with less than average/poor stats. Probably doesn't matter. Don't worry too much. I think they just want to see that you shadowed a DO enough to get a letter, and are not necessarily concerned with content

How do you guys even know how long your letter is? Isn't it supposed to be confidential...?

Is it true that your suppose to choose only one Midwestern not both AZ and CCOM?

How do you guys even know how long your letter is? Isn't it supposed to be confidential...?

Supposed to be. But he gave it back to me in an unsealed envelope like he didn't care. I didn't read it, just glanced at the length

Is it true that your suppose to choose only one Midwestern not both AZ and CCOM?

I think you're referring to one Western Campus, Lebanon or Pomona. The two campuses there are considered the same class and have the same curriculum. AZCOM and CCOM have slightly different curriculums.

Quick question... I'm about to submit my AZCOM and CCOM secondaries (thankfully they are the same!! haha). When I upload my CV and select the file to open it after it's uploaded... it looks all funky in a weird box format. It's also in a different file type than .doc. Is it supposed to be like this? It takes all the prettiness away from my CV, lol. :(

Also... I just want to confirm again, it's okay if I put the dates/years on the right hand side correct? I know the left is the norm... but they won't reject me because of it.... yes? :scared:

----EDIT: Nevermind, I used my .docx file and it worked better lol. Just submitted CCOM and AZCOM. Now I wait. :)

Last edited:
Where is everyone staying?

there are numerous hotels in the area. There is the red roof inn which is fairly cheap. There is also embassy suites, a holiday inn express, a days inn and a marriot among others.
all are about the same distance to the school and I think most offer shuttle services.
hth

Also... I just want to confirm again, it's okay if I put the dates/years on the right hand side correct? I know the left is the norm... but they won't reject me because of it.... yes? :scared:

Take a deep breath in... and let it out. :)

When you send your letters with Interfolio it will tell you the number of pages each LOR is. You can't see the info written but you can see number of pages.

For those of you that applied to CCOM, how long after submitting your supplemental app did it take for them to make an interview decision?

Does anybody know what a taxi costs from O'Hare to CCOM and then the cost back to O'Hare (if it's not the same; I would assume it is).

I'm getting in to O'Hare at 8:40PM Sept 26th if anyone wants to share a taxi or a car.

i checked the american taxi website and it looks like you cant reserve the taxi in advance. do you just show up to the airport and call them?

first time in chicago and first time using a taxi. btw i should be arriving to OHare airport on thursday afternoon 9/29 for my interview on 9/30 if anyone want to share a taxi.

i checked the american taxi website and it looks like you cant reserve the taxi in advance. do you just show up to the airport and call them?

first time in chicago and first time using a taxi. btw i should be arriving to OHare airport on thursday afternoon 9/29 for my interview on 9/30 if anyone want to share a taxi.

there are plenty of taxis waiting for ppl @ O'hare... just go to ground transportation

anyone else not hearing? i am not complaining because i have 6 interview offers out of 7 applications so far and CCOM isn't real high on my list, but I was complete July 9th and I haven't heard anything. No interview invite, no rejection, no "on hold," nothing. I would be ok with any one of these because it would keep me from checking the midwestern website hourly (slight exageration but not much). Just tired of being in limbo.

anyone else not hearing? i am not complaining because i have 6 interview offers out of 7 applications so far and CCOM isn't real high on my list, but I was complete July 9th and I haven't heard anything. No interview invite, no rejection, no "on hold," nothing. I would be ok with any one of these because it would keep me from checking the midwestern website hourly (slight exageration but not much). Just tired of being in limbo.

I am in the exact situation here -___-;;

:rolleyes: I turned mine in in mid-August, so I guess I have a while till I get a response. I should be using this time to write my lovely applications to other schools. Blah!

it varies greatly sometimes if all staff are on deck applications get read and reviewed and decided faster other times we are busy with students or traveling or out sick and it takes longer no set time...

Hey man, I've already interviewed and have been accepted this year, and I submitted my CCOM supplemental on July 5th, so I mean I would say don't worry so much. Seems like you have a solid chance of getting in somewhere good!